Extremeskins

ESPN 980 unveils new afternoon radio show, "The Drive with Cooley and Czabe"

CrypticVillain

Washington DC (July 22, 2013) - RED ZEBRA

BROADCASTING announces today, that long time afternoon drive host Steve

Czaban, will be joined by former Redskins Pro Bowl tight end Chris

Cooley and current ESPN980 Sports Saturday host Al Galdi to form a new

afternoon drive program on ESPN980.

“THE DRIVE WITH COOLEY AND CZABE” will debut on August 1st, 2013 and will air from 4pm – 7pm Monday thru Friday.

Full article: http://www.espn980.com/pages/pages.php?page=2441

This is going to be one interesting show lol....

I'm happy to have Cooley on the radio and appreciate that he needs a 'real radio guy' with him, but can we finally get one show on 980 witout the same, tired schtick that Czabe brings.  His only trait is that he always goes against the grain to stir up listeners.  That is fine if that is what you really think, but with Czabe, that is his only trick.  Get rid of that pony and pair someone else with Cooley and then you have a winner.

I love Czaban.  He's an alpha-male extrodanare... but the dynamic of him and Cooley is going to be priceless.

I agree, MLS... this is going to be an interesting show, lol... emphasis on the "LOL". :)

Czaban is normally the guy that needs to be "reeled" in by guys like Polin or Galdi, and Cooley loves to have a beer or seven while he's on the radio.  This is going to be priceless!  Especially if the team is doing well.

EDIT:  Also, shout out to the 980 management for getting Cooley locked up!  Chris Kinard would've found a way to ruin him.  Another step in the right direction for proper DC sports radio.

I dig this, as I dig Cooley and I like Czabe.  I can't stand Andy Pollin.  A lot of times he says things that are blatantly wrong and just likes to bicker for the sake of bickering.  So frickin annoying.  Lavar and Dukes blows.

Cooley and Czabe will be what I listen to.  Pumped.

For the longest time, I thought the constant complaining amongst my ES brethren with respect to Lavar and Dukes was some sort of mass delusion...  After all, the team sucked and they were just calling it like it was, particularly Dukes. But I always had it in the back of my mind that they were pro-Redskins, but just frustrated with the state of the franchise, like much of the fanbase.

Then we were struck with the run of success last year, the arrival of a true superstar, a return to the playoffs, and what appears to be a pretty bright future.  Yet the constant ****ing from Lavar and Dukes didn't stop.  It seemed to me that they were almost giddy during the fallout over the RG3 injury, Shannahan's "lack of judgment," the read option can't continue, RG3 is never going to be the same, etc.

I don't expect our local radio personalities to be fanboys or anything, but it's fairly obvious at this point that there's some real deep-seated bitterness going on there, which simply makes me not want to listen.  I can understand the frustration from the past 20 years, but at a certain point the ****in should stop and if it doesn't, that tells you something.

Could be fun.  They're already jabbing at each other in the press release:

Czabe: "I will work tirelessly to make Chris Cooley the second most beloved ex-Redskin tight end on radio in the DC market. “

Cooley: “I have listened and enjoyed Czabe ’s show since I was a little kid. A real little kid. He kind of reminds me of a much older Sherm Lewis.”

And Andy Pollin gets relegated to Tony Kornheiser's vacation sub.

For the longest time, I thought the constant complaining amongst my ES brethren with respect to Lavar and Dukes was some sort of mass delusion...  After all, the team sucked and they were just calling it like it was, particularly Dukes. But I always had it in the back of my mind that they were pro-Redskins, but just frustrated with the state of the franchise, like much of the fanbase.

Then we were struck with the run of success last year, the arrival of a true superstar, a return to the playoffs, and what appears to be a pretty bright future.  Yet the constant ****ing from Lavar and Dukes didn't stop.  It seemed to me that they were almost giddy during the fallout over the RG3 injury, Shannahan's "lack of judgment," the read option can't continue, RG3 is never going to be the same, etc.

I don't expect our local radio personalities to be fanboys or anything, but it's fairly obvious at this point that there's some real deep-seated bitterness going on there, which simply makes me not want to listen.  I can understand the frustration from the past 20 years, but at a certain point the ****in should stop and if it doesn't, that tells you something.

I listened to them for about 5 minutes yesterday.  There is an agenda they are pushing.  I turned it off after CD was saying how there is a power struggle between RG3/Skins b/c Griff tweeted that he was cleared to practice....however the Skins FO hasn't made any comment.  Really???!!!??? 

The ONLY thing the afternoon drive on 106.7 has going for them is Grant Paulsen. 

I honestly can't wait to hear Czabe/Cooley together.  For as much as I liked the Czabe/Andy pairing, they had their moments when they were tiring.  Even before he retired, I thought Cooley had a career in media waiting for him.  He's going to do great. 

Could be fun.  They're already jabbing at each other in the press release:

Czabe: "I will work tirelessly to make Chris Cooley the second most beloved ex-Redskin tight end on radio in the DC market. “

Cooley: “I have listened and enjoyed Czabe ’s show since I was a little kid. A real little kid. He kind of reminds me of a much older Sherm Lewis.”

And Andy Pollin gets relegated to Tony Kornheiser's vacation sub.

Czabe was going on about Cooley after he signed on with the game day broadcast crew last week:

Something to the effect of:

"I don't think Doc's job is in jeopardy at all.  In fact, what's better than having two tightends points of view?  Sure, Cooley has been in this offense before and will have some great nuggets about what's going on... but lets look at the tape:

Franchise Relevance:  Push, though Cooley has more recency and more receptions

Experience:  Advantage Doc

Super Bowl Ring? (loudly):  Advantage... Richard Walker"

It's going to be fun for sure.

I listened to them for about 5 minutes yesterday.  There is an agenda they are pushing.  I turned it off after CD was saying how there is a power struggle between RG3/Skins b/c Griff tweeted that he was cleared to practice....however the Skins FO hasn't made any comment.  Really???!!!??? 

The ONLY thing the afternoon drive on 106.7 has going for them is Grant Paulsen. 

I honestly can't wait to hear Czabe/Cooley together.  For as much as I liked the Czabe/Andy pairing, they had their moments when they were tiring.  Even before he retired, I thought Cooley had a career in media waiting for him.  He's going to do great. 

Agreed.  Can't wait to have a Redskins personality with some charisma to compete with the noise coming from LA/Ducks.  It's time to make being a Redskins fan fun again.

I dig this, as I dig Cooley and I like Czabe.  I can't stand Andy Pollin.  A lot of times he says things that are blatantly wrong and just likes to bicker for the sake of bickering.  So frickin annoying.  Lavar and Dukes blows.

Cooley and Czabe will be what I listen to.  Pumped.

Agree. Cooley's addition is just as good as Pollin's subtraction. Nothing against him personally, I just dont care for his style, seems old school. Does he really have to read a portion of a newspaper article everyday? He's also that guy that compares current players to former players which is anoying. Also, he makes sure everyone knows how sport smart he is - example, if they brought up the Bullets team from I dont know, 1980, he'll name the starting five and give some worthless stat on one of the players. I also think he tries too hard to keep with Czabe on the comedic level.

my beef with the 980 shows outside of the Sports Fix is how little they cover the team compared to 106.7 -- though I like the radio personalities better on 980.  Cooley and Galdi might help fix it.  Cooley for obvious reasons.  Galdi because he really knows the team well -- although on his shows he rarely devotes more than 15 minutes at a time to any one team.     

I think Pollin should replace Kornheiser permanently.  Needs a sidekick but I can't stand Kornheiser

Agree.  As for Kornheiser is there a personality on Washington sports radio that cares less about the Redskins.  He flat out admits he doesn't care enough to even bother watching the Redskins on TV and prefers to play Golf on Sunday.

Yeah.  Kornheiser's show seems like it's for old people.  I don't know anyone who listens to it.  What I would like is to have a local morning show instead of Mike and Mike.

I love the Sports Fix, I love Inside the Locker Room with Doc & B Mitch.  I love Al Galdi.  And I had a love/hate with the Sports Reporters, mostly stemming from my dislike of Andy Pollin and I feel like they talk about dumb stuff that Pollin brings up.  For example, the other day, all this NFL stuff was happening, and he brought up the dumbest story to discuss.  I had to change the channel.

If they could get a good morning show on 980 from 6-10.  Then kill Kornheiser's show, 980 would be superior b/c there only show I care for in the Junkies.  I'm thinking maybe 980 realizes they can't compete with the Junks so they keep Mike and Mike on.

can't say I dislike Mr. Polley, but he was kind of a wet blanket. 

Cooley and Czabe will be cool, I just hope they keep things light hearted and keep thick skin. Don't want to see Czabe treat and/or talk to CC like a dumb jock do not want to see CC treat Czabe like a jock sniffer. 

side note: Just spent time with a buddy who hung out with Czabe and he said the guy was HILARIOUS and cool and also a lot edgier off the air, I wish I heard that! 

my beef with the 980 shows outside of the Sports Fix is how little they cover the team compared to 106.7 -- though I like the radio personalities better on 980.  Cooley and Galdi might help fix it.  Cooley for obvious reasons.  Galdi because he really knows the team well -- although on his shows he rarely devotes more than 15 minutes at a time to any one team.     

I think Pollin should replace Kornheiser permanently.  Needs a sidekick but I can't stand Kornheiser

Agree.  As for Kornheiser is there a personality on Washington sports radio that cares less about the Redskins.  He flat out admits he doesn't care enough to even bother watching the Redskins on TV and prefers to play Golf on Sunday.

Thom Loverro.  His open disdain for the local pro sports teams is quite apparent.  At best, he's indifferent towards the Nats, but if he gets a chance to mock or revel in the failure of the Skins, Caps, or Wiz, he'll do it.

My beef with Pollin is when he condescends to the callers and then comes up with some inane idea that he would've mocked a caller for.   But he had good chemistry with Czaban, and I loved all the guest hosts like Blackistone, Hellie, Knoche, the guy from Deadspin, Amber Theoharris when she was in town, etc. 

I think this is great.  This should be a fairly balanced show with Cooley and that guy that looks for the worst in everything. 

What I hope for when Sonny is done on Sundays, is that Doc goes up to the booth with Larry, and Cooley takes the sidelines.  I would be fine with Cooley in the booth as a third, as well. 

This is all assuming he doesn't suck, I guess.

Is Cooley going to be too close to the situation to be honest though?  He was just on the roster last year and now he's gonna be criticizing his homeboys if the situation calls for it?  We'll see about that.  Guys like Doc and BMitch are far enough removed and outspoken enough to say what they really think.  I just hope Cooley doesn't self censor himself to protect his homies.  Cuz that makes for a useless host.  

Is Cooley going to be too close to the situation to be honest though?  He was just on the roster last year and now he's gonna be criticizing his homeboys if the situation calls for it?  We'll see about that.  Guys like Doc and BMitch are far enough removed and outspoken enough to say what they really think.  I just hope Cooley doesn't self censor himself to protect his homies.  Cuz that makes for a useless host.  

Should be interesting because Cooley for example seems to love the current regime so could he criticize it if need be?   As for your point about Loverro, for my taste at least he recognizes this is a Redskins town and says so and even when he's solo without Kevin he covers the team.  And heck he watches the games.  But yeah he got on my nerves recently when he said Russell Wilson does everything a little better than RG3.  

As i commented, I just couldn't believe tuning into 980, Monday morning after a Redskins game and hearing Tony Kornheiser being indifferent to the Redskins and owning up to not watching the games.  I just don't get how you can have a guy on a Snyder owned radio sports station have a talk show host that is so loathe to watch the Redskins that he can't even force himself to watch them as homework for his job.  To me its just strange how much more 106.7 devotes to the Redskins than Snyder's station does. 

Archived