Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN 980 unveils new afternoon radio show, "The Drive with Cooley and Czabe"

CrypticVillain

I like Chris Cooley as much as the next guy, but I don't necessarily wanna hear him everyday on the radio. I liked the Sports Reporters format and chemistry.

My thoughts exactly. I liked Polian and Czabe. I don't know if Chris' act is going to get old. Nice guy, so I hope I'm wrong. The other station does seem to have more Redskins coverage, which is all I care about.

Today is the last day of the Sports Reporters.  I'm pretty excited about this switch, hoping it means a LOT more Redskins discussion. Andy Pollin is a great radio guy, I just hate the rigid structure of the Sports Reporters. Here's our baseball talk. Here's our Redskins Camp talk. Here's our talk about the topical news story of the day. Here's our talk about men's disposable razors. There was just about NO wiggle room for them to continue riffing, once the clock hit a certain time the talk was over and move onto the next subject.

They're trying out the same formula of WJFK, except I'd actually want to hear what Chris Cooley has to say. I love Chad Dukes but Lavar is near intolerable most days. Hopefully this means the show will be more Redskins-centric.

Now if we could get them to ditch Mike and Mike in the morning they'd be doing something. They are the definition of hacky radio.

Holy ... lots of Czabe love going on here. 

Don't get me wrong, he is funny as hell and it's nice he's an area guy, but some of you either forgot, don't care, or don't know about the Gibbs bashing he did a few years back. It was nasty ... accusations of coming back only because he wanted his son to have a job, crazy stuff, calling him "Gibby" and "Joey" (for which a caller totally crushed him for, it was great) 

i still hold a grudge against him for that ... same way I do for C. Berman for picking the Bills over the Skins in 91!  :lol:

Don't get me wrong, he is funny as hell and it's nice he's an area guy, but some of you either forgot, don't care, or don't know about the Gibbs bashing he did a few years back. It was nasty ... accusations of coming back only because he wanted his son to have a job, crazy stuff, calling him "Gibby" and "Joey" (for which a caller totally crushed him for, it was great) 

i still hold a grudge against him for that ... same way I do for C. Berman for picking the Bills over the Skins in 91!  :lol:

I love Gibbs and all but his offense the 2nd time around here was indefensible.  

Gibbs II deserved criticism, as did the franchise and GM.  So what?

We all tore apart the team, although some thought Gibbs was untouchable.

I don't like Czabe very much, I don't like the way he treats his callers. He is on the air because people listen to his show you would think he would not call his callers idiots. 

And no he has never called me an idiot, because I of course I only call my favorite show aka The Sports Fix.

I'm skeptical about any show involving Czaban.  He's a pro, and his shows are thoughtful and seasoned.  But I don't really enjoy listening to him.  He's the quintessential nerdy, outsider, miserable, oppressively negative white collar sports fan.  He tries to pass off jadedness as a demonstration of being well informed and I don't buy it.

I'll be glad to see the sports reporters go, while the personalities were likeable, there was too much baseball and other useless garbage being the topic of conversations vs actual redskin news..

Hopefully the Cooley show will be better about it, especially now that preseason is here.

Now if we could get them to ditch Mike and Mike in the morning they'd be doing something. They are the definition of hacky radio.

Mike & Mike attempt to be sincere and palatable for everyone in the entire country, and as such, they're totally boring. You don't have to be controversial. But you do have to be insightful then. They're vanilla and most of their analysis is pretty shallow, it's a snoozefest. I would rather listen to Dan Patrick even though I think he's arrogant and condescending.

I like the Sports Reporters. Great chemistry and love how they mix it up with sports and current events.

Big fan of Cooley the football player.

Not a big fan of Cooley the personality. I think if he weren't a Redskins and was just another radio jock most people would feel differently about him. I find his humor to be lame, predictable and blah.

*runs for cover*

I am listening right now.  The first nine minutes of the show have been pretty awkward.

The Wall interview to effectively open the show was poorly timed.

It honestly felt like technical difficulties. Like they couldn't get the live broadcast going correctly, so they had to go to a taped interview right off.

80 minutes into the new show, I'll say this: my hopes for the end of Chad Flukes' reign of lame on DC airwaves has NEVER been HIGHER. RIP Lavar and Flukes. Plese God let it be so. I might name my firstborn after Cooley is he makes it happen.

So far I'm not too impressed with it. Didn't like they started the show by talking about John Wall.

Why not? Love the Wiz or hate them, him signing his new deal is the biggest story in DC sports at this moment.

Archived