Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

The knock on Ball will be his slow-feet.  He's going to have to get real crafty to have success.  His court vision is VERY good, but you can say the same for guys like Greivis Vasquez.  What will separate Lonzo from a guy like Greivis will be his ability to get creative in getting his shot off.  He was able to exploit matchups in college and in SL due to the discrepancy in talent.  When the real games start, he'll be exploited on both offense and defense if he doesn't figure out how to get the most out of hesistation dribbles, playing angles, etc.  If not, there will be a lot of people questioning his selection as the #2 overall pick.  The difference between him an Fox is that even with fox being a not-great shooter, he's able to get to the rim with his explosive first step and he can also create for others off the dribble due to his speed.  This almost mirrors John Wall when he came out of Kentucky.  I'm not saying Fox is the 2nd coming of Wall, but he's extremely quick and speed kills. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RonArtest15 said:

The knock on Ball will be his slow-feet.  He's going to have to get real crafty to have success.  His court vision is VERY good, but you can say the same for guys like Greivis Vasquez.  What will separate Lonzo from a guy like Greivis will be his ability to get creative in getting his shot off.  He was able to exploit matchups in college and in SL due to the discrepancy in talent.  When the real games start, he'll be exploited on both offense and defense if he doesn't figure out how to get the most out of hesistation dribbles, playing angles, etc.  If not, there will be a lot of people questioning his selection as the #2 overall pick.  The difference between him an Fox is that even with fox being a not-great shooter, he's able to get to the rim with his explosive first step and he can also create for others off the dribble due to his speed.  This almost mirrors John Wall when he came out of Kentucky.  I'm not saying Fox is the 2nd coming of Wall, but he's extremely quick and speed kills. 

I always believe you can develop a jump shot, but if you're not as quick as the other guy, you probably never will be.

5 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I always believe you can develop a jump shot, but if you're not as quick as the other guy, you probably never will be.

Hard to overcompensate for slow feet.  This is why he has to get crafty with how he approaches getting to the rim. 

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

I still can't get over Ball's wacky looking jump shot. But then again, Shawn Marion had the goofiest looking shot ever and he was a damn good NBA player.

Shawn Marion was a gifted athlete tho...if you got a goofy-looking jumper w/ average athleticism, you better figure out a way to create space for yourself.  If not, you're going to be eaten alive by even the most mediocre defenders in the league.  BIG difference between what he'll see come October and what he's going up against at UCLA and in the SL. 

Damn, he can pass.  No denying that.  That one from just beyond half court over the defender was ridiculous, it was accurate...he just saw the guy open and knew he didn't have time so he flicked his wrist and sent that ball over the defender.  That full court baseball pass was sweet as well.  As long as he can prove to have outstanding court vision and facilitate he'll have a spot in the league either starting or as a 6th man.  

@RonArtest15talked about his slow feet....might be true, but if he has a quick enough first step he can get away with things.

Not sure how he is as a man to man defender but that block was pretty sweet. 

That shot is ****ing ugly though.  I don't understand how his dad let him get away with mechanics like that, he almost looks like a little kid trying to push the ball up to a 10 foot rim.  But if it works... 

Edited by Spaceman Spiff

He had nice game by highlights, not shooting though. The overwhelming majority of his buckets were layups that aint ever gonna happen in the NBA. His outside shot is going to be a major liability that the other NBA teams are going to exploit. He's going to be a Rondo type player, good point guard, but nothing anybody is afraid of or schemes against. Plus, he isn't surrounded by anybody yet so this year is going to be painful for Lakers IMO

He's tall and can see the whole court and he's a truly gifted passer.  Instinctive player that anticipates the game well.  He's got a good frame that will fill out, he's not an ectomorph.  He was having trouble getting by other tall defenders though.  He runs well in the open court but his first step isn't good.  He'll be able to compensate for that some by getting strong and bullying his way to the lane, but he's going to have some trouble with the speed at the position and there are a lot of NBA wings that will have no problems staying in front of him.

The main weakness I see from those highlights is the awful shot selection.  Kid was pressing.  He'll settle down eventually, but he was taking shots way outside of his repertoire and the results were ugly.  His jumper is crap.  It's a vestigial motion from when he was a weak little kid and had to sling it up there like that in order to get it to the rim from deep.  He's gotten it to go in so far--he shoots without hesitation.  But the release is so low and slow that people are going to eventually start blocking his shot behind the three point line.  Between the shot selection and bad form on his jumper, he's going to shoot below 40% this season and the Lakers are probably going to be lousy.

BUT, they've laid the foundation of their rebuild now.  He can run a competent PnR offense for them and he will shine playing up tempo.  The Lakers need to lead the league in pace this season.

I really love Ivica Zubac's game too.  Reminds me of a young Gortat on offense, only he's a really promising rim protector too.  He's one of the best young bigs in the NBA and he's going to be a real boon for Lonzo Ball.  Great hands and excellent finishing ability.

Kuzma looks like a keeper too.  The kid can run and finish and he gets playing up tempo and there is some chemistry there between him and Ball.

I also love Josh Hart's game and I think he's going to be an important part of that core.

And I'm intrigued by the KCP signing.  I think he might be a better shooter than he showed in Detroit, so it made sense for the Lakers to go after him.

That's the biggest thing the Lakers need to do now.  They've got their center and PG, they need to be putting a boat load of shooters around them.  They're two to three deep in young players at most of their positions, it's time to start making trades to consolidate their team and bring in a bunch of vet defenders and shooters to aid Ball's development.

Funny how the moment Jim Buss gets pushed out the Lakers start turning it around.

I hate that its for the Lakers but I hope Ball really does become great because I want his dad to be the ultimate supervillain. There is nothing better then a great villain and Lavar is playing the role beautifully(even though all the bravado aside he's actually a half decent dude).

• Like 2

Ball is going to poor on defense and shooting... Pretty important areas in today's NBA. I don't know I would take a gifted passer at #2 overall. Ball won't ever be great and if he's lucky the Lakers supply him with talented scorer's, which will allow him to hit his ceiling... which is a great role player

6 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Damn, he can pass.  No denying that.  That one from just beyond half court over the defender was ridiculous, it was accurate...he just saw the guy open and knew he didn't have time so he flicked his wrist and sent that ball over the defender.  That full court baseball pass was sweet as well.  As long as he can prove to have outstanding court vision and facilitate he'll have a spot in the league either starting or as a 6th man.  

@RonArtest15talked about his slow feet....might be true, but if he has a quick enough first step he can get away with things.

Not sure how he is as a man to man defender but that block was pretty sweet. 

That shot is ****ing ugly though.  I don't understand how his dad let him get away with mechanics like that, he almost looks like a little kid trying to push the ball up to a 10 foot rim.  But if it works... 

His court vision is amazing...I saw a good comparison.  Someone likened him to Andre Miller, but with height/range.  I can see that. 

Lonzo did his thing in the past two SL games.  Gotta tip my cap to him.  I honestly can't wait to see how he does when October rolls around and the level of play is increased tenfold. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RonArtest15 said:

His court vision is amazing...I saw a good comparison.  Someone likened him to Andre Miller, but with height/range.  I can see that. 

Lonzo did his thing in the past two SL games.  Gotta tip my cap to him.  I honestly can't wait to see how he does when October rolls around and the level of play is increased tenfold. 

How do you think the competition in the SL compares to an NCAA team like Kentucky or something?