Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

I'm watching Stephen A Smith argue that analytics is a tool to keep blacks out of head coaching positions. Why? Because black people don't like analytics according to Mike Wilbon.

https://theundefeated.com/features/mission-impossible-african-americans-analytics/

My head hurts.

Isn't there another thread for all the stupid things Stephen A Smith says, lol?

I'm watching Stephen A Smith argue that analytics is a tool to keep blacks out of head coaching positions. Why? Because black people don't like analytics according to Mike Wilbon.

https://theundefeated.com/features/mission-impossible-african-americans-analytics/

My head hurts.

Granted The Undefeated has only been up and running for about a week or so now, frankly, I've been extremely disappointed in both the quality and content of the articles on there.  It's been a major let down to me, and that site pales in comparison to what Grantland was.  I know ESPN is going for a different look and direction with TU, but to me, there needs to be improvement.  Their contributors, well, most of them (save for a couple), are VERY talented.  I don't know what it is and I can't exactly put my finger on it, but I have my doubts that this site will be around more than a few years.  Something just seems off....it was a trainwreck for 3 years before it became live, so maybe I should temper my expectations a bit.  I dunno...

Yea, let's absolve him for his play.  Off the court stuff/quotes from Lebron are just that...off the court.  No biggie. 

Curry's been a non-factor for most of this series and now the injury talk is surfacing.

Absolve who? Curry is getting slammed, being called by many the third best player in this series, and he immediately blamed himself following the game. Should people throw shoes during the next press conference?

Absolve who? Curry is getting slammed, being called by many the third best player in this series, and he immediately blamed himself following the game. Should people throw shoes during the next press conference?

Who in the media is taking him to task for his play?  Seems kinda light. 

If I'm not mistaken, the Pats or Brazil weren't defending Champs. I would love to be in your position right now. Do you know who my team is? lol

Believe me, I understand what you are saying.   I have been a Warriors fan since the late 80s, and during that time, they had the worst record in the entire NBA.   Yes, worse than the Bullets/Wizards or the Clippers or anyone.  Between 1994 and 2001, the Warriors only made it into the playoffs one time.  One single time.  That's almost impossible to do in the NBA.

This season has been magical for Warriors fans.   I wanted it to end as magically as well.   

No.  Give OKC all the credit.   They earned it.

Great defense is why Curry isn't scoring.

Click on this link to see OKC's defensive intensity.  It's incredible.

http://imgur.com/gallery/tPraACl

Edited by Predicto
  • Like 1

Granted The Undefeated has only been up and running for about a week or so now, frankly, I've been extremely disappointed in both the quality and content of the articles on there. It's been a major let down to me, and that site pales in comparison to what Grantland was. I know ESPN is going for a different look and direction with TU, but to me, there needs to be improvement. Their contributors, well, most of them (save for a couple), are VERY talented. I don't know what it is and I can't exactly put my finger on it, but I have my doubts that this site will be around more than a few years. Something just seems off....it was a trainwreck for 3 years before it became live, so maybe I should temper my expectations a bit. I dunno...

The article isn't bad as bad asStephen A Smith's take on it. Wilbon explores the idea that analytics are being used to stop black people from getting hired:

One person who has a unique view of this all is ESPN’s broadcast analyst Amin Elhassan, the Sudanese-born former video coordinator, former scouting coordinator, former assistant director of basketball operations (under Steve Kerr when he was general manager with the Phoenix Suns), who studied engineering at Georgia Tech. All this is to say that Elhassan is a black man who knows — even lives — all forms of analytics. He says he worries that black people are either being excluded or excluding themselves.

“So many front offices are staffed by guys like me, who didn’t play the game, who didn’t come in through the coaching ranks … Don’t tell me that there are no black people who are good at math. There are black people who expert at qualitative analysis,” Elhassan said. “I worry that it becomes a way to exclude. Don’t tell me there aren’t any black people on Wall Street who are passionate about basketball. These people exist. Wall Streeters, people with qualitative analysis backgrounds. I know them. I went to school with them. I just don’t believe that one ethnicity is more predisposed to this than another. You realize, of course, that this is the new gateway into the game … into sports?”

For more than a few moments I felt guilty as hell for hating the intrusion of advanced analytics as much as I generally do. Because even though the reliance on this stuff seems to be a new safe haven for a new “Old Boy Network” of Ivy Leaguers who can hire each other and justify passing on people not given to their analytic philosophies, an entire group of people can’t simply refuse to participate in something as important as this phenomenon. The cynical me can easily make the argument this is a new path to exclusion, intentional or not. Or is it creating an entirely new way of approaching sports that’s reserved for the few?

I just hate generalizations about black people do this and don't do that.

Who in the media is taking him to task for his play? Seems kinda light.

You've been around sport long enough to know that what you say and how you behave matters. Ask RG3. Ask TO. Curry fell on his sword and that blunts the edge of the media's knives for a time.

OKC's leads balloon whenever he is on the court.

Golden STate can normally get bigs off the court but they cant with Adams, and then Durant and Roberson are giants who can switch. I think this series is done and I cant believe how wrong I was. They should beat Cleveland too.

They've actually gotten Adams off the court. He's only played around 20 minutes in the last two games. And Kanter has barely played either.

Going in, I thought they would go super big with Kanter and Adams and try to punish GS inside. Instead, they've gone athlete for athlete and are just annihilating GS right now.

Waiters is the one playing all the minutes that I thought Adams and Kanter would get.

The OKC lineup of death has been Westbrook, Waiters, Roberson, Ibaka, and Durant. That lineup can go shot for shot with GSW's small ball group - especially since Waiters is basically justifying his entire stupid career right now. More importantly, that lineup can defend GSW's small ball group.....which no team in the league has done in two years. They are switching everything and if Ibaka or Durant end up on Thompson or Steph....oh well. They can put a hand in their face on a shot and recover on a drive.

I really think Durant's defense is the key here. We all forget he is a near 7 footer with a stupid wingspan. He can be a big disrupter as long as he is not forced to defend someone like a Gasol.

Here is the crazy thing: GSW may be forced to go big. I mean, don't they need to try to at least see if Bogut can eat one of these skinny dudes up?

Granted The Undefeated has only been up and running for about a week or so now, frankly, I've been extremely disappointed in both the quality and content of the articles on there.  It's been a major let down to me, and that site pales in comparison to what Grantland was.  I know ESPN is going for a different look and direction with TU, but to me, there needs to be improvement.  Their contributors, well, most of them (save for a couple), are VERY talented.  I don't know what it is and I can't exactly put my finger on it, but I have my doubts that this site will be around more than a few years.  Something just seems off....it was a trainwreck for 3 years before it became live, so maybe I should temper my expectations a bit.  I dunno...

In fairness, the first few months of Grantland were a bit rocky.....and frankly, it's pop culture stuff always sort of sucked - though some of the writers there were talented.

What really saved it was the hires of Lowe and Barnwell. They were producing the best NBA and NFL coverage anywhere on, like, a daily basis.

I think the main problem there right now is the stink of Whitlock. I get that Whitlock saw himself as carrying the torch of Ralph Wiley and being a mentor to all kinds of young black writers. But Whitlock is a political conservative and a relentless self-promoter, which I think made a lot of people wary of him. I imagine a lot of young writers were worried that they would get assignments like "How Hip Hop destroyed the NBA" or "Jason Whitlock: The Ball State Years" or "Was Jeff George The First Black QB?"

It was not a great idea to have aged hot taker Wilbon drop a reactionary screed that probably made every black sportswriter under 30 say, "What the hell?" Instead of Black Grantland, this site has always felt like Old Somewhat Conservative Black Man Grantland.

I get that everyone at ESPN is convinced he's the next big multi-platform star, but it feels like this should have just been given to Bomani Jones from the beginning.

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother

My head hurts.

i think the real issue is the people who present analytics. Those Ivy league types who only want to keep things in their network.

saying that, i dont like the generalizations either

I think they'll win this next one by a big margin. They are too good to just roll over at home. It's all about getting that game six in OKC.

Glad they don't do a 2-3-2 format. If ever there was a team that needed a home game to escape a slump, it's Golden State.

It's not their choice anymore. OKC decides when and how this series ends. That's where we're at. 

CHILLLLLLL lmao

All three of y'all could be brothers. lol

The warriors never played a team this good in the playoffs last year.  still think their run last year was a fluke too. 

image.png?w=500&c=1

That statement was negated after 73-9...

Edited by MLSKINS
  • Like 2

The warriors never played a team this good in the playoffs last year.  still think their run last year was a fluke too. 

Not a fluke run at all - they've had more wins in any two season stretch except for the 96-97 Bulls. They did get lucky that 2/3 of Cleveland went down by the end of Game 1 of the Finals but injuries happen.

Never thought I'd say this but I am kind of glad the talk of Curry being "by far the best player" in the league is coming to a halt. The best player resides in Cleveland and wears #23. Even on a poor shooting night, LeBron can still be an impact defender and is the best passer in basketball. When Curry is off from 3, he goes from MVP level to just very good but not great. 

• Like 1