Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

Seeing Blake Griffin in a normal public setting has to be disconcerting. Did you feel like he was going to pick you and put you on his lap at any point?

I've been around huge pro football players, but my few interactions with NBA players has been borderline upsetting. Human beings should not be that big.

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother

I remember seeing Wade and marveling at how unnatural he looked, warming up, compared to how he looked on tv, slicing through the paint.

He looked really freaking tall.

Then Shaq. Omg. I still wonder to this day what would have happened to Brad Miller's body had he connected back in 02

Edited by Mr. Sinister

Seeing Blake Griffin in a normal public setting has to be disconcerting. Did you feel like he was going to pick you and put you on his lap at any point?

I've been around huge pro football players, but my few interactions with NBA players has been borderline upsetting. Human beings should not be that big.

Old Gheorghe might be the coolest human being I've ever met. And goddamn if I don't run into him at damn near every single Wizards game I go to.

Didn't you say he said some wack **** , mixing up the Giants with the A`s, thinking they're in Oakland?

Gotta lose a couple cool points for that

Nah.  He didn't say much other than "sure" when people asked him for a picture.  I mostly talked to his friend, who was surprised at how hyped SF was for the world series, and said that LA never cares that much about sports stuff.   Blake kinda shrugged and nodded at that.     

He doesn't look nearly as big as he is until you are right next to him.  He moves like a much smaller person, not like a big awkward  frankenstein monster.   

Then Shaq. Omg. I still wonder to this day what would have happened to Brad Miller's body had he connected back in 02

I once stood at courtside before a game watching Shaq talking to Erick Dampier, the Warriors center.   Damp was a huge guy - 6'11" and bout 275 lbs.   Shaq made him look like a skinny little child.   Shaq was only a couple inches taller, but his arms were as big around as Damps legs.  His chest circumference was like a VW Beetle.   He is not human.   

Yeah, Yao is a huge freak too.  

But even then, look at the difference in size between his bicep and shoulder and Shaq's bicep and shoulder when they were in their prime.  Yao was enormous, but Shaq was an enormous dude who was built like a Tolkien Dwarf.   

eXif8MI.jpg

Yeah, Yao is a huge freak too.  

But even then, look at the difference in size between his bicep and shoulder and Shaq's bicep and shoulder when they were in their prime.  Yao was enormous, but Shaq was an enormous dude who was built like a Tolkien Dwarf.   

Oh no question, Shaq was built like a 7 foot tall run stopping defensive end.  I remember watching the NBA then and every playoff team likely to face him had a bunch of bigs on the roster just to foul him.  He may not be the best player I've ever seen, but he was the most disruptive to the way the game of basketball was played. 

Back to Yao Ming for a moment, his head looks like he was who the Moai on Easter Island were trying to warn us about. 

Edited by Destino

Steve Nash's lack of defense really hurts him but as far as an offensive point guard he's pretty much ideal. He made everyone on his team better by getting them easy shots, and if his team needed a boost or the defense started playing off him to limit the pass, he shot the lights out. But his defense was garbage and he played for teams that seemed to agree with that philosophy which simply doesn't get you a title in the nba.

Loved watching him play.

Oh no question, Shaq was built like a 7 foot tall run stopping defensive end.  I remember watching the NBA then and every playoff team likely to face him had a bunch of bigs on the roster just to foul him.  He may not be the best player I've ever seen, but he was the most disruptive to the way the game of basketball was played. 

Back to Yao Ming for a moment, his head looks like he was who the Moai on Easter Island were trying to warn us about. 

Yao's lower body was massive. People are going to giggle, but from the waist down (meaning his hips and legs), I think he was bigger than Shaq. That was the shocking part when he came over his rookie year, I was expecting Asian Shaun Bradley and Yao was actually the 7'6 version of stocky.

I really wish he hadn't played all those games on awful Chinese courts.

I've told this story before. I had courtside seats during Yao's last season with the Rockets. He was injured (of course) and sitting courtside in a suit. I just stared at him most of the game. Sitting down he was eye to eye with dudes 6'6/6'7, I think.

He was a fabulous shooter but not the best pure shooter or even off the dribble shooter. Curry is a better off the dribble shooter and there are probably a lot of guys who are/were better pure set shot shooters than Nash.

What made Nash special, aside from his toughness and leadership, was his ball handling IMO. That's what set the table for him as a shooter. Nash's game was such that you couldn't guard him like you would other great shooters like Curry or Durant. He was one of the best ever at utilizing the spacing on the court and his teammates to attack defenses. He had the handle to defeat a defender playing him tight and he was one of the best ever at setting defenders up for screens and coming off them. That handle and that threat of the pass made you have to defend so many things. You had to think pass first with him. So as he developed all of these awesome little moves to set up shots off the bounce, that's what got him all those good shots. And he was tough as hell too. You couldn't just beat him with a bigger, stronger player like you'd expect with a skinny finesse player like him. He was gritty.

Leadership was the best thing about him though I think. Nash truly understands the holistic nature of team play. He was likable, tough, selfless, fiery, smart, and competitive. There is nobody else in the league you would rather have played with during his prime.

Defensively, yeah he sucked, but I wonder if that wasn't about the systems he played in. Tony Parker plays PG and has held his own on an excellent defensive team. Anyone can play good enough defense if the system is there and they put in the effort.

SM - I'm sorry...but I can't put Steph Curry in the same category as Steve Nash as far as shooting.  Dude could do it all.  Think about it...he's going to end his career, a LONG career, with a shooting % just under 50 and a career 3pt % floating around 43.  That's insane.  This is a guy who wasn't getting to the rack all the time due to athleticism...he HAD to be killer from mid-range, off the dribble, and being set.  Like I said, he's the best shooting player I've ever seen.  Steph Curry has a ways to go, and honestly, even though his 3pt % for his career is higher, I'd be shocked if he finishes his career with the 3pt % being higher than Nash's. 

I think I found the answer to my question about the biggest player in the NBA:

If Sim Buhllar finds a roster, he'll be the biggest. He's listed at 7'5 and ~350. He's a stiff though.

After him it's Hasheem Thabeet, listed at 7'3 and ~260. He's got an inch on Hibbert, but Hibbert weighs a lot more. Hibbert is the biggest player in the NBA that's actually good. Marc Gasol and Tyson Chandler are the only other ones over 7' that are good, though I'm not sure I totally believe Chandler's 7'1 listing.