Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

I think Wiggins will have a stellar NBA career, but he's not going to be the player that most people expect.  Honestly, at his peak, I think he's going to turn out to be Luol Deng clone.  There is NOTHING wrong with that, but people need to temper their expectations of him.  FWIW, I think Zach Lavine will end up being the better of the two when it's all said and done. 

Can someone explain to me why players, and their union, would support ending or increasing the max contract percentage of the cap?

I think the players' primary goal is to increase their share of the revenue. It's just gone through the roof (despite, you know, the league getting paid less than the NHL per chipwich's math) and their share in recent years hase gone down. That's the primary union goal.

Within the union is the desire of the stars to actually make closer to what they are worth. Lebron and Durant are underpaid to a staggering degree. Those guys want a bigger piece of the pie.

I've always thought the best idea for the NBA would be to have one exempt player slot that a team can use once a decade or something for a max of maybe two years. And maybe limit it to the team that controlled the players rights for the prior season. In other words, Miami could have paid Lebron whatever it wanted for two years and only have the cap figure be the max number or something. Cleveland would have had that right first.

I've never seen an idea like that proposed, but I like how it allows stars to stay with teams, make their market value, and not totally cripple the club. And it doesn't give the big market teams a huge, long term advantage because it's limited.

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother

I understand the union wanting a larger share, any good union should want more money for their people. The max thing though makes no sense to me. More players make a lot more money because Lebron and KD are limited to a percentage of the cap there are many contracts I can point to where guys are making 10-13 million that are above average role players.

A 2 year exemption could work but it would still screw the smaller markets because all of their stars would run to large markets for two years of super pay days. That has to be avoided because the league is better when more teams are competitive than it is when it's just a few teams and media markets matter less than an appealing league. After all you want the country watching, not just New York and LA. The NFL succeeds because everyone wants to watch and with that they can completely ignore LA and still dominate.

I'd like to see teams be provided exemptions for their own draft picks so they can keep their own guys but only if they don't bring in a near max player in free agency. In other words OKC would have been able to keep their team, but not trade Harden and sign Lebron while keeping KD and Westy under the exemption.

Edited by Destino

So how much age is Lebron feeling?

- His defense drove off a cliff last season, despite his reputation the stats geeks had him as an average to below average defender. This from a player that should have been a more serious candidate for DPOY in previous seasons.

- He showed the universal sign of aging by choosing to drop a bunch of weight this year.

- He's talking as if he's going to turn into Tim Duncan and just give his team what he can. He's been saying things like its Kyrie's team, and he's the old guy on the team, and other rather absurd things coming from player that should be in his prime.

- Cavs have talked about resting him.

He's 29! i know he looks much older, and has since highschool, but he's only twenty nine years old. Just how hard did he party in south beach? :)

Edited by Destino

One thing that angered me during his tenure was how utterly hapless the Heat would look with him on the bench at times. He logged an absurd amount of minutes. On top of playing into June every year, plus the Olympics, it's not surprising that the Cavs are talking about rest.

Anyone listen to 980 yesterday when they talked about the irrelevancy of Kobe Hate nowadays? Talked about how the Lakers are primed for another down year, and how Kobe will be even further unhinged, as he has to deal with that, along with his own decline. That we may see a full on display of "Crazy Kobe", evidenced by some of his Twitter posts

Makes perfect sense though. Guys like him have no off/rational/acceptance switch. He probably still thinks he can do a 360 with ridiculous halftime, picking his fro in midair...

Personally I can't wait see posts from him rambling about wading through a marsh with a machete, some hand grenades, and a garlic necklace.

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 1

And again nothing about that article from Ohio.com said the Cavs or Pacers have even entertained the idea of making a trade like this. Cleveland has no reason to get rid of decent assets + Haywood to hope that maybe Hibbert will somehow get his **** together.

I think it's hard to call those "decent" assets. Two mediocre bench players and a contract for a DPOY caliber center whose been to two AS games the last three seasons and happens to be the biggest player and best rim protector in the league? **** no.

Indy might not have a choice. I think they are in all out rebuild mode at this point since we don't know if George will ever be the same. And the Cavs still have assets to offer. Waiters + Thompason + Haywood is defintely fair value, even if you factor in the divison rival factor.

They're not going to go into rebuild mode. They didn't even do that after their team was destroyed in the wake of the Palace brawl. That organization doesn't tank. They'll win 40% of their games and dip into the lottery for a season, draft someone good, and then get back to the playoffs next year.

George broke his leg, not tore his ACL. He'll be back and close to what he was once it heals.

They're not going to give away Hibbert for a song either. He's worth more to them than they could get in a trade, that trade you propose is nowhere close to fair value for him. That's two of Cleveland's draft mistakes and an expiring contract Indy doesn't need. Hibbert is the anchor of the best defense in the league. He's the second most important player on a one seed. They're not going to give him away.

I think Wiggins will have a stellar NBA career, but he's not going to be the player that most people expect.  Honestly, at his peak, I think he's going to turn out to be Luol Deng clone.  There is NOTHING wrong with that, but people need to temper their expectations of him.  FWIW, I think Zach Lavine will end up being the better of the two when it's all said and done.

I'd definitely be disappointed if all I got was Luol Deng for a #1/#1. Especially if he's what I got in return for Kevin Love in his prime.

I could see LaVine being a bigger scorer and more exciting offensive player than Wiggins, but I would hope Wiggins would be the better all around player. If he's not, then I think he'd be a big time underachiever.

I think the model for expectations for Wiggins could be Paul George. That, I would definitely be satisfied with as a return for a #1/#1.

The Knicks are going to be bad this year. Melo could have an MVP caliber season and that team would struggle to win 40 games. Quincy Acy and Samuel Dalembert as your starting bigs = bald tanking.

Melo is a fool for staying there. They've utterly wasted the best years of his career. Also, if they're trying to tank, why keep Melo? He'll buoy them to enough wins that they won't get a top two pick without lottery BS and he's going to be too old to be part of a new era.

Money. It's why he stayed. It's why the Knicks wanted to keep him. From a pure basketball standpoint, that situation is all ****ed up.

NBA games are too long but will cutting 4 minutes off the game time really stop what the biggest issue is...it taking 5 minutes to play the last minute of a game?

What? Where is this coming from?

I don't think NBA games are too long at all. They're usually done in a little over two hours. That's perfect. That's about half as long as NFL and MLB games often end up being.

What? Where is this coming from?

I don't think NBA games are too long at all. They're usually done in a little over two hours. That's perfect. That's about half as long as NFL and MLB games often end up being.

If this were the case, why is the NBA experimenting with 11 minute quarters (albeit during a preseason match) 

They're concerned about the length of the game 

I've also heard that they were thinking of making free throws count as two. You hit one, get two points, or something like that. The NBA really wants to tweak some of the current rules in order to make the game go faster. 

Edited by ixcuincle

If this were the case, why is the NBA experimenting with 11 minute quarters (albeit during a preseason match) 

They're concerned about the length of the game 

I've also heard that they were thinking of making free throws count as two. You hit one, get two points, or something like that. The NBA really wants to tweak some of the current rules in order to make the game go faster.

Where did you hear that? That would be a drastic rule change that I'm pretty sure isn't a part of any level of the sport.

Free throws count as two? Just how high would Lebron's efficiency go with easy access to 4 point plays? Not a fan of that idea.

I do agree with the old guys, Dirk and Lebron, that 82 games is too long. I remember reading an espn articles years ago that argued for 48 games (I think). The argument was for two games a week and predictable scheduling do fans new exactly what nights meant NBA ball (kind of like NFL with Monday and Sunday) and higher stakes. Also with less games and more rest, you might get less injuries and better basketball.

It won't happen because it would immediately deeply impact revenue. I think long term it would make the NBA more popular, especially regular season.

Edited by Destino

The problem with the NBA is that nothing but the last 5 minutes matters for regular season games.

If the game is on tv and you watch the last 5 minutes, that's all that matters.

The game isn't really a journey where watching the first part of the game gives you any particular insight into the end of the game.

Making the quarters shorter (might) make the whole game more important (i.e. teams that fall way behind early will have less time to catch back up).

I hope they don't do anything. Don't be like the NFL where they would put out a hit on a group of nuns if it meant more dollars.

The NBA is as popular as I can ever remember. I say let it do its thing and leave everything as is

I really think the NFL is on the verge of taking a hit in popularity and I think the NBA is in prime position to reap the rewards of that. Definitely moreso than any other league

• Like 1