Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

Blake Griffin, like the Clippers, has been underwhelming as **** in the playoffs.  I wouldn't trust him over Davis...even with Davis being green as hell. 

He's got the potential to be better offensively than Griffin...possibly this year.  And don't even mention the defense. 

Davis isn't on the level of CP3 and Griffin yet. Those two are the best players at their positions and they power a true contender.

Davis is improving rapidly, but his team is going to have to start winning before he gets his crown. They've got some legit talent, they should win this season.

They power a true contender because they are on the same team - and that team also happens to have an excellent young defensive center behind them in DeAndre Jordan and a deep bench.  Pelicans have Davis and now they have Asik, but lack the Clips overall talent and depth by a country mile.   Jrue is not CP3.  

I think AD is a better power forward than Blake today, and if AD got to play with CP3, he would be even more of a monster than he already is.   

They power a true contender because they are on the same team - and that team also happens to have an excellent young defensive center behind them in DeAndre Jordan and a deep bench.  Pelicans have Davis and now they have Asik, but lack the Clips overall talent and depth by a country mile.   Jrue is not CP3.  

I think AD is a better power forward than Blake today, and if AD got to play with CP3, he would be even more of a monster than he already is.   

Yea...that, too. 

Davis has a solid team...one that should be in contention for the 8th seed in the West, if all goes well.  However, the Pelicans aren't stacked like the Clippers (in comparison). 

CP3 missed significant time with injury last season and Griffin kept the Clippers chugging along, winning close to 70% of their games, and he put up crazy numbers in the process. Either one of those guys elevates a team to playoff status on their own. Together, they anchor one of the three best teams in the league.

Davis is not the player that Griffin is right now. Do you really think Griffin wouldn't eat his lunch in the playoffs right now? That Aldridge or Dirk wouldn't either? Seriously, you can't crown a kid in the NBA before he even comes close to sniffing a playoff game. The NBA is the one league that always makes you pay your dues. You can put up crazy numbers playing on bad teams in the NBA when you're young and inexperienced but super talented. But that's not the same as being one of the very best players in the league.

Yea...that, too. 

Davis has a solid team...one that should be in contention for the 8th seed in the West, if all goes well.  However, the Pelicans aren't stacked like the Clippers (in comparison). 

Pelicans likely would be the 4 or even the 3 seed in the East, and very well could miss the playoffs in the West.   Sucks for them.

CP3 missed significant time with injury last season and Griffin kept the Clippers chugging along, winning close to 70% of their games, and he put up crazy numbers in the process. Either one of those guys elevates a team to playoff status on their own. Together, they anchor one of the three best teams in the league.

Davis is not the player that Griffin is right now. Do you really think Griffin wouldn't eat his lunch in the playoffs right now? That Aldridge or Dirk wouldn't either? Seriously, you can't crown a kid in the NBA before he even comes close to sniffing a playoff game. The NBA is the one league that always makes you pay your dues. You can put up crazy numbers playing on bad teams in the NBA when you're young and inexperienced but super talented. But that's not the same as being one of the very best players in the league.

You can be one of the very best players in the league and still not be on one of the very best teams.  Lebron is the only guy in the NBA today that can carry a mediocre team into championship contention, the way he did with Cleveland his first time around.   The NBA is too strong and too deep now.   The Clippers are a great team with two superstars, a terrific rim protector, and a deep roster.  

No, Blake would not eat Davis's lunch in the playoffs.  The Clippers would eat the Pelicans' lunch, but that is not the same thing.   Hell, the Warriors took the Clippers last year to the edge in the playoffs last year, and the Warriors were missing their center and only rim protector.  Even without Bogut there, Blake barely ate David Lee's lunch, and Lee can't defend anyone.  Davis is a far superior defender to Lee (and to Blake) and no one eats his lunch.     

Edited by Predicto
  • Like 1

AD as talented physically as anyone but experience is required to win in the NBA and saying "top 3 right now" means the players that you'd trust to come up big in the playoffs this season. I'm not there yet with AD. I think Griffin is someone I could trust more in the post season to produce in big moments and not make the big mistakes or have games where he's just flat out bad. The NBA is very much a league where the regular season and the post season are different levels of education. Players have to learn to win in both, and perhaps as important, to keep themselves healthy.

AD is going to wow everyone this season because he's a physical freak entering his third year leap but he's very early in his development and he hasn't even made the playoffs yet. He hasn't seen the ways defenses in the post season beat players up and force them into uncomfortable situations. Hes going to be one if the best, but let's not crown him just yet.

QFT.

If Davis is truly one of the three best players in the league--an MVP caliber player better than Griffin or CP3--then his team will win this year. A lot. Like 50+ games.

That's not going to happen this season because Davis isn't there yet. He's going to win a ton eventually. And I expect his team to at least finish better than .500 this season. But to say he's one of the three best players in the league today is confusing his potential with his current ability level and ignores the process of getting legitimately good that just about everyone in the NBA has to go through.

This is similar to the talk crowning Kevin Love the best PF in the game and a top 5 player three seasons ago. Love isn't there now, much less back then.

You can be one of the very best players in the league and still not be on one of the very best teams.  Lebron is the only guy in the NBA today that can carry a mediocre team into championship contention, the way he did with Cleveland his first time around.   The NBA is too strong and too deep now.   The Clippers are a great team with two superstars, a terrific rim protector, and a deep roster.  

No, Blake would not eat Davis's lunch in the playoffs.  The Clippers would eat the Pelicans' lunch, but that is not the same thing.   Hell, the Warriors took the Clippers last year to the edge in the playoffs last year, and the Warriors were missing their center and only rim protector.  Even without Bogut there, Blake barely ate David Lee's lunch, and Lee can't defend anyone.  Davis is a far superior defender to Lee (and to Blake) and no one eats his lunch.

And Dwight is the best individual defensive player in the game and Aldridge ate his lunch in the playoffs. Also, Griffin had a good series against Golden State, and he's proven himself a pretty good playoff performer. I hate having to defend this guy and that team, but people keep underrating him despite the fact he actually has proven himself and played at an MVP level last season and his team is a true blue contender.

What exactly are you basing the claim that Davis is--today--one of the best players in the game and a better player than Griffin? He hasn't even played a meaningful NBA game yet! Perception of his potential right?

And you can't be one of the very best players in the league when your team sucks. The NBA isn't the NFL or MLB. The individual impact of a great player's performance and leadership is profound and if he be truly great, he should be able to carry a team of role players to the postseason. Single-handedly powering a true contender isn't what I'm talking about, and no, not even LeBron can do that. I'm talking about leading your team into the postseason. And there are a lot of active players around the league who have done that. Davis hasn't yet. That's why it's premature to say he's one of the best players in the league and just under LeBron and Durant. The kid hasn't even played a full season yet, much less a meaningful game after January, much less a postseason game.

If Davis is truly one of the three best players in the league--an MVP caliber player better than Griffin or CP3--then his team will win this year. A lot. Like 50+ games.

Nonsense.  Winning 50 plus games in the West right now requires a team with multiple players who are all stars or have all-star potential, and good team chemistry, and a lot of luck.  

New Orleans is extremely young, and shallow, and 50 wins isn't going to happen, but that won't be AD's fault.  It will be the fault of all the other teams with superior rosters, teams like the Durant/Westbrook/Ibaka hydra, and the CP3/Blake/Jordan flopping salmon extravaganza, and the Splash Bros 3 point bandwagon, and ageless Dirk supplemented by Parsons and Chandler, and the Dwight Howard and James Harden free throw exhibition, and the Gasol/ZBo physical beating administrators, and Lillard/Aldridge Sportscenter offensive fireworks, and Popovich's unstoppable time machine of interchangeable parts.

If the Pelicans were in the East AD could lead them to 50 wins, but they aren't and he can't.  Not until the rest of the team ups its game the way he has upped his game.   

What exactly are you basing the claim that Davis is--today--one of the best players in the game and a better player than Griffin? He hasn't even played a meaningful NBA game yet! Perception of his potential right?

I'm basing it on Davis scoring 20 points per game last year (which is only 4 less than Blake, and how many of Blake's came because CP3 giftwrapped Blake 6 easy dunks a game?  Who can say?) ... 

while being a monstrous defensive presence (which Blake is not)

being a better rebounder than Blake (especially considering the pace the two teams play at)

leading the NBA in blocks (Blake doesn't protect the rim and doesn't play much off the ball defense)

not being a league leader in turnovers (the way Blake is)

and being better than Blake in PER (4th in the league, in fact)

The fact that Davis is only 21 and has more upside potential is just a bonus.  

I realize that arguing the virtues of Griffin with a Warriors fan is foolish (and entirely understandable btw) but I will say this, Griffin averaged 22 with the ghost of Baron Davis and Mo Williams running the point.  As a rookie.  Attributing his scoring much of his ability to Chris Paul is simply not true.  His scoring actually went down when CP3 joined the team for two consecutive seasons.  It only bounced back up last year. 

The thing with young players is that their averages look good but they are inconsistent and that makes winning the playoffs hard.  You can't rely on them to come through every game and a close series can be lost if the star has two bad games.  Davis is going to go through growing pains, they all do. 

Julius Randle breaking his leg was weird. He just took a normal step going to jump and his leg broke. Hardly any contact.

Someone else said it but it looked like he kicked his own leg and it really does. Which is really kind if a hilarious way of getting injured if you think about it. I mean I wish him the best, but I've never seen someone break their own leg by kicking themselves.

Injuries are often like that though. Guys will get crushed attacking the rim and come down hard, and they are fine. On another play they run by themselves and step wrong.... and their knee explodes.

I realize that arguing the virtues of Griffin with a Warriors fan is foolish (and entirely understandable btw) but I will say this, Griffin averaged 22 with the ghost of Baron Davis and Mo Williams running the point.  As a rookie.  Attributing his scoring much of his ability to Chris Paul is simply not true.  His scoring actually went down when CP3 joined the team for two consecutive seasons.  It only bounced back up last year. 

The thing with young players is that their averages look good but they are inconsistent and that makes winning the playoffs hard.  You can't rely on them to come through every game and a close series can be lost if the star has two bad games.  Davis is going to go through growing pains, they all do. 

On offense, yes.  But Davis is already a significantly superior defender to Blake, and that doesn't go up and down as much.  

The reason that none of us are talking about Love as the best PF is because we all know that his defense is limited.   If we went by basic stats like points and rebounds alone, Love blows all of these guys away.  Heck, if it were about offense alone, Aldridge might be in the discussion too, even though he takes way too many mid-range shots.  

But for some reason, no one wants to compare defense when it comes to Davis vs. Blake.  Blake is a superior offensive player to Davis, no doubt  He is a thug down low and he has fine handles for a big guy.  Davis's offensive game is less polished.  But when it comes to defense, Blake is average and Davis is elite, and just getting better.  Blake will never have Davis's length or instincts on defense, and he doesn't try as hard on defense either.  

The gap between Blake and Davis is shrinking on offense, while Davis's advantage is growing on defense.   So I don't think it is crazy to say that Davis has passed Blake (even though they are quite close).   People can disagree, of course.

Edited by Predicto

Agreed on defense which is why I think Davis will be the far superior player. The very best, the true super stars, have to be at least good defenders. Just not right now. I also need to see him be a super defender in the post season and not get in foul trouble. Going for all those blocks can really blow up in your face at times which is fine when you're Ibaka or Deandre but not when your also your teams best offensive player.

Btw - McGee is healthy again. He is one of the most entertaining players in the nba to just lock into and watch. Shaqtin a fool just wasn't the same without him.

Edited by Destino

Someone else said it but it looked like he kicked his own leg and it really does. Which is really kind if a hilarious way of getting injured if you think about it. I mean I wish him the best, but I've never seen someone break their own leg by kicking themselves.

Injuries are often like that though. Guys will get crushed attacking the rim and come down hard, and they are fine. On another play they run by themselves and step wrong.... and their knee explodes.

Yeah, all it usually takes is a little awkward torque or bend and boom.  Such as ACL injuries....two guys in the NFL tore their ACLs celebrating a sack.  Breaking bones usually takes a little more though.

I saw him kind of kick his own leg with his left foot, but I really don't think that had much affect.

I doubt Davis wins a chip in NO unless he gets a bit more help

He still has Tyreke Evans jacking shots on his team lol

Agreed.   

"Davis clearly is overrated.  His team isn't even going to win 50 games this year - on a powerhouse squad starting Tyreke Evans and Eric Gordon. :P  "  

He needs to leave the west and join the wizards in the east. Wall Davis and Durant. Makes perfect sense to me.

Nah.  He just needs to get on a team with some shooters.   I suggest the Warriors.  

• Like 1