Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/235280/GMs-Predict-Spurs-Title-LeBron-For-MVP-Jabari-For-ROY

The NBA has released its annual survery of general managers with the San Antonio Spurs receiving 46.2 percent of the votes for which team will win the 2015 Finals.

The Cleveland Cavaliers came in second with 15.4 percent, followed by the Chicago Bulls, Los Angeles Clippers and Oklahoma City tied for third at 11.5 percent. The Golden State Warriors received 3.8 percent of the vote.

LeBron James is the expected winner of MVP with 67.9 percent, followed by Kevin Durant at 21.4 percent.

Jabari Parker is a heavy favorite to win Rookie of the Year with 75 percent of the vote, followed by Andrew Wiggins at 17.9 percent.

Those are pretty natural predictions, although you have to think the survey was conducted before Durant's injury became known. There is no way he's going to win the MVP if he missed the first two months of the season.

The GMs were wrong last year though, as a commenter pointed out they picked LeBron for MVP, Miami for the title, and Oladipo for ROTY.

You never know who will get hurt, and big injuries change the landscape of the league for the year. But my wild guesses are that Blake Griffin will get the MVP, OKC will win the title, and Nerlens Noel will win ROTY.

My thinking:

LeBron is looking a little worn down, and he's likely to take a bit of a back seat to Kyrie Irving and have his numbers dip, plus they're going to rest him. I don't see him winning MVP. Durant's injury makes it so he won't. There is no way Rose will play anywhere close to an MVP level IMO. So who is next? Griffin based on last year. He's going to put up numbers and his team will be elite. Dwight might have a chance too if his numbers improve or he puts in an utterly dominant year defensively and has the Rockets take a big step forward on that end. I could also see LaMarcus Aldridge finishing high in voting if Portland ends up with a top two or three seed.

SA is a good guess to win the title. I think it's a virtual lock that it's either them, OKC, or the Clippers. No one in the East is beating them this year. Three straight Finals trips seems like a little more of a stretch for SA, and the Clippers just can't beat the Thunder in the postseason. So I'm thinking Thunder, who could have won it last year if not for the Ibaka injury.

For ROTY, Parker is a good guess too because you know he is going to score. But I think Noel has a slight advantage on him, getting the Blake Griffin redshirt season to acclimate to the NBA. He won't score like Parker, but he'll do it with supperior efficiency, and if he rebounds and plays defense, he'll have a pretty high PER.

I also like Marcus Smart as a candidate for ROTY. The award format tends to favor PGs who play high minutes and Brad Stevens made Jordan Crawford look good last year. In his hands, I think Smart will thrive, and I could see the Celtics winning more games than expected and voters might reward Smart for that. Plus Smart is going to grab the league's attention with some crazy numbers like 9 steal games and an early triple double. The only thing that keeps me from picking him is I assume he'll lose the starting PG job when Rondo gets back.

With Durant out, my pre-season MVP picks are;

1. Lebron

2. Blake

3. Anthony Davis

Lebron is obvious. That team is going to win close to 60. He'll put up his numbers. And if things are going well, you will get the stories in January about how Lebron has taught Love and Irving how to play within a team and be professionals and everything else. He's going to get credit for their success.

It's time to give Blake credit. The dude gets better every year. For a while there was a worry that he was just going to be a pogo stick. But he's fixed his free throw percentage. He became really good at initating the offense last year. And the dude's been shooting 3s in the pre-season. I doubt Doc allows that a lot in the regular season but if he can go pick and pop with Paul as well as pick and roll, he can't be guarded.

Davis is going to be all or nothing, and it's all based around his team. If they can somehow get into the playoffs, he's going to get a ton of support because everyone loves his game, and that team should NOT be a playoff contender. But if they pull a Phoenix, he'll get consideration.

I like Smart for ROY.

He's not going to be the best player in time, but would it shock anyone to see the Celtics get off to a "surprising" 10-11 start and everyone point to the mature rookie at the point. I'm convinced MCW won the award in the first month of the season last year, because no one watched the Sixers after that.

Otherwise, Parker seems like the safe pick. He's going to score immediately.

I can't see Noel winning the award. No one is going reward a defensive stopper on a 15-win team.

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother

You don't think the Pelicans should be a playoff team?  I think their biggest problem is health because if they can keep those guys on the floor they have a lot of talent.  Well health and the lack of a real consistent star, but With Davis entering his third year he should be that guy.  Considering how good he already is, it will be fun to watch his third year leap. 

I'm not sold on Smart as a rookie, I think he might have some horrible efficiency numbers.  Jabari is my favorite with Nerlens Noel as my #2 because a year of being around the NBA game is a huge advantage over guys drafted this summer. 

Edited by Destino

I think it'll come down to LeBron or Blake for MVP. Davis is too young this year IMO. Next year, I think he has a good chance. He'll be the MVP favorite in like two seasons. But you're right, he will get votes this year if his team makes the playoffs. It's not out of the question. They'll have an MVP candidate big man who can be a defensive force. Asik was a nice get, between him and Davis they should be able to play defense if they actually commit to it. And a healthy Jrue Holiday is a fringe All Star. Ryan Anderson is a good player. Eric Gordon and Tyreke Evans are interesting wings. That team does have some talent if they can stay somewhat healthy. I could see them making pretty quick strides.

But the MVP usually comes from a top two or three seed, which kills Davis as a serious candidate.

The reason I'm thinking Blake over LeBron is because I think LeBron is going to get punished for playing with two other players who probably average over 20 PPG. I think LeBron is tired and is likely to defer to them and have his volume numbers dip plus I think he's going to miss games to try and keep him fresh.

Blake supplanted CP3 as the best player on the Clippers last year, he's in his prime, and voters won't be conflicted about him being the best and most essential player on his team this season. I think it's his year.

Of course I could also see him getting hurt. He's been an iron man the last four years, only missing four games total. He's due for some sort of season killing injury.

I wonder what Westbrook's chances at the MVP are? When he's healthy, he's arguably the best guard in the West. If he keeps the Thunder a top two seed while Durant is out and then finishes the season strong, he'll have a legit chance IMO.

re: ROTY, I think Noel is going to be more than just a defensive stopper. And lack of wins won't kill his chances in the voting, it doesn't usually get taken into account. Something like a 14 & 10 season with a FG% in the upper 50s and a 20+ PER is doable for him. And those numbers are good enough to win the award unless Parker averages over 20 a game.

I would say Parker is the favorite but I don't totally trust the Bucks. I also need to see him play some games against NBA players just to shake that slight Derrick Williams/Michael Beasley stink off.

Curry wins MVP.

No he doesn't.   I love me some Steph, and he is going to have a great year, but he isn't going to be MVP.   

I think it goes back to Lebron.  When Cleveland wins 30 more games than last year, people are going to send the credit to where it deserves.

• Like 1

Anyone read the league pass rankings from Simmons and Lowe?

Part 1 - http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-annual-nba-league-pass-rankings-part-1/

Part 2 - http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-annual-nba-league-pass-rankings-part-2/

They have the Knicks unconscionably high. That team is unwatchable. They're right, Clyde is fun. But really nothing else about that Knicks team is.

They also ranked Denver and Portland way too low IMO. Denver is always fun. Manimal is one of the funnest players in the league. And Portland has an incredible offense and they're actually pretty good.

No he doesn't.   I love me some Steph, and he is going to have a great year, but he isn't going to be MVP.   

I think it goes back to Lebron.  When Cleveland wins 30 more games than last year, people are going to send the credit to where it deserves.

They added Kevin Love too, and Irving looks poised for a break out season. They're going to hurt the argument for LeBron. Also, the Cavs ain't winning 30 more games than last year.

It's going to be Blake. It'll be hard to stomach, but you know it's going to be him. This is going to be a weird year. Last year was a future is now year in some ways. Durant, Curry, Griffin, and Davis all took enormous steps forward and closed the gap on LeBron, CP3, Wade, Melo, Dwight, and Kobe. I think we'll get more of the same.

Who I want to see go out and win it is Westbrook. Imagine how much fuel that could throw on the fire.

It's more than just how good they are. I'd watch a Knicks or Lakers game over 85% of the league just to laugh lol

The wizards were comically low tho. Bulls too high. I guess ppl want to see Rose (goddamn he killed Cleveland Monday night) but the Bulls still play really ugly games

Eh, I actually like watching the Bulls. I don't like the way Noah talks, but I love the way he plays. I'll watch their ugly ass offensive style because I like bully teams that do the fundamentals well. I think the Derrick Rose thing is going to ultimately be a disappointment though. Nobody has ever really come back from something like he's been through. You'll get that occasional MVP-like glimmer on nights when he feels good, but I think he's headed for a disappointing season over all. My prediction is like 57 games played, 18 PPG on 41% shooting and a 16 or 17 PER.

The Wizards should be higher, but they've already got about four or five players injured. Nothing too serious yet, but that doesn't bode well. They're going to start slow.

Honestly, I expect those type of numbers from Rose. If Pau can give them one year of top level play and the new guys do what they're supposed to, I could see them being like the Pistons in 04. Damn sure not likely tho.

Realistically I see ECF and a 6 game loss to the Cavs. If they run into TOR or WSH first....eek

And the other thing with Rose is that the only ppl even considering him turning back to 2010 Rose is the media. Bulls fans just want to see him play for more than a month. Nothing will be a disappointment from him other than another injury *pounds the **** out of wood*

Edited by BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93

They have the Knicks unconscionably high. That team is unwatchable. They're right, Clyde is fun. But really nothing else about that Knicks team is.

With ya on Portland and maybe Denver(really haven't watched them post-Karl, though) but Clyde is turning into Basketball's Chris Berman for me. It was a struggle for me to get through watching that preseason game last night.

KOBE He is arguably the greatest player in the history of the Lakers' franchise. He is also destroying it from within.

by Henry Abbott

NOT LONG AFTER the final horn of Game 7 of the 2010 Finals, Champagne-soaked Lakers captain Derek Fisher, who carries a reputation as an NBA stoic, screamed with glee. "We just gettin' started, baby!" he bellowed from beneath his freshly minted back-to-back-title cap. In case anyone missed it, he hollered again. "We just gettin' started, bay-beeee!"

It wasn't merely the bubbly talking. The Lakers had, by most measures, the best coach and owner in history. They started a legend at shooting guard in 31-year-old Kobe Bryant, along with All-Star Pau Gasol and future All-Star Andrew Bynum. Everyone's ages and contracts implied the team could keep right on winning -- more or less as the Lakers always had. That year, John Hollinger rated LA the NBA's top franchise, writing on ESPN.com: "When it comes to superstars, the Lakers are so far out in front of everybody else it's not even funny."

Fisher looked at the Lakers then as we all did: From Wilt to Kareem to Shaq to Pau, they were the team that could always pull one more star out of the hat. But since the night of Fisher's explosive delight, the squad's most stunning trick has been in how completely and quickly it turned the NBA's show-pony franchise into a goat, ranked 28th in ESPN's most recent Future Power Rankings. Four years, five coaches, three early playoff flameouts, two key departed big men, one celebrated owner deceased. The Lakers have been in near free fall.

It would seem that the only connection fans have to the Lakers' title tradition is Bryant, the man who helped make the franchise one of the most popular brands in sports. Now 36, he's a lock to have his statue outside Staples Center someday. He's the reason celebrities line up 10 deep inside. He's also, say sources both in and around the Lakers' organization, the primary reason the team has fallen so mightily.

For years the Lakers lived by the Mamba. This is the story of how they're dying by him.

Is Kobe Bryant the Reason for the Lakers Downfall?

I know we already know this, but to see it on a map is kind of depressing. lol

That picture is wrong. I think they meant to start at 1990 instead of 1989 because 1990 is missing from this picture.

You know what I see? Phil Jackson needs to be banned if the league ever wants any parity. lol

Don't really see how that article is anything new. Maybe that There appears to be a groundswell of support behind it.

Kobe is harmfully competitive. He is also a jerk. That's why I mentioned what I did a couple pages back. We all saw the writing on the wall after 12. As competitive as he is, he's not willing to take a backseat to anyone, or for financial reasons, in order to win. He wants to be the big dog in the yard.

Can't fault him for wanting to get paid, but that comes with a price.

I still think Jim Buss deserves plenty of blame for the way things went in 12. Dude had Phil right in his lap, and chose to be a buttheads, and hired D`Antonio which is probably the worst move he could have made. Kobe injuries only greased the wheels for that downhill slide.

They added Kevin Love too, and Irving looks poised for a break out season. They're going to hurt the argument for LeBron. Also, the Cavs ain't winning 30 more games than last year.

It's going to be Blake. It'll be hard to stomach, but you know it's going to be him. 

Maybe, but I'm not sure that it will hurt Lebron to have other players on his team do well.   He is the best big man facilitator in the league by a mile, I think voters realize that, and he will get credit for all the easy baskets by Love and Irving.  

Since I mentioned in another thread that I just met Blake and he was reasonably nice in person, I wonder if I will be able to maintain my hatred of him on the court this season

yeah of course i will

Maybe, but I'm not sure that it will hurt Lebron to have other players on his team do well. He is the best big man facilitator in the league by a mile, I think voters realize that, and he will get credit for all the easy baskets by Love and Irving.

Since I mentioned in another thread that I just met Blake and he was reasonably nice in person, I wonder if I will be able to maintain my hatred of him on the court this season

yeah of course i will

Didn't you say he said some wack **** , mixing up the Giants with the A`s, thinking they're in Oakland?

Gotta lose a couple cool points for that

Edited by Mr. Sinister