Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

2 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Wow had no clue that Dell Cury and his wife were divorced until they showed him on TV like 5 minutes ago putting his arm around some other white woman.  I then googled "Dell Curry's wife" and saw that him and Sonya divorced a bit ago.  She was hot for an older woman.

You missed that epic twitter thread?   Let me help you.  

• Like 1

This is one of Curry’s best games ever.  If he wins finals mvp this game is the what makes that result undeniable.  He got very little help, one of his three stars has reverted into a pile of garbage, and he fought his ass off to tough the win out anyway.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Going Commando said:

Warriors are in a weird place.  Their old guard role players are pretty broken down and their new guard role players aren't quite good and experienced enough yet, such that they don't really have a lot of reliable championship caliber role players at the moment.  They kind of have to run an expanded rotation to figure out who is going to be good on any given night, plus their best players probably aren't physically capable of giving them 40 good minutes in a Finals game, so the results are messy compared to a team running a tight 7 man rotation where everyone know their role in and out.

They could really use a 2011 Dirk kind of transcendent one man performance from Curry to carry them against Boston, but to be frank, he might not be good or durable enough to carry them that way.  He's never been transcendent in a Finals before, and I'm not sure a 6'2 PG is physically capable of dominating a Finals the way the great wings and bigs have in the past.  He'd have to do it via incredible shooting because he's not going to take over the paint or the glass.

Meanwhile Boston is in their sweet spot timeline-wise.  All of their key players except Horford just entered their prime. They've got the right mix of bigs including an ageless Horford who is an anchor, and a Bob Williams who is just old and experienced enough to not play dumb too often, but is young enough that he still has his legs.  And Tatum is kind of figuring everything out and making the leap to tier 1 superstar this postseason.  They can run a 7 man rotation that just looks better than what GS can run, and they're probably not going to break down doing it.

I still think GS wins, but they are in trouble.  Curry is going to have to be incredible and Draymond is going to have to be vastly better and he looks cooked.

I don’t remember Dirk being particularly amazing in those 2011 finals. I remember Jason Terry having the series of his career

1 hour ago, bearrock said:

GSW has more offensive rebounds tonight 🙄

He hasn’t watched the Warriors. They been killing teams on the boards. 

team did a much better job team rebounding. Poole had some moments. Curry is amazing. Wiggins effort can’t not be understated. 

Draymond sucks. 

2 hours ago, method man said:

I don’t remember Dirk being particularly amazing in those 2011 finals. I remember Jason Terry having the series of his career

He wasn't as great in the Finals as he was in the first three series, but he was still a transcendent one man show.  That was his zen year where he only missed like four FTs in the playoffs and kind of spent everything in the tank to get his ring and was never really the same again.  Kidd and Terry and Chandler were key, but they were definite role players.  A one star team like that (and this GS team) basically needs its role players to lock in for a series like Dallas did to beat a superior opponent, but they were still carried by Dirk.

I think its harder for Curry to have that kind of impact on a series given his size and position, because he basically has to take over via shooting like he did tonight.  And if he's just a little off, it's not going to work.  Bigs and forwards can still take over the paint in a game where their shot isn't there and easily get to the line 10 times and control space and offensive flow and end defensive stands.

If Curry carries the Warriors to a championship as the sole star on this team and wins a finals.MVP, I honestly think it will be the most impressive accomplishment a true PG has ever achieved.  It'll certainly be the crowning moment of his career and cement him as the greatest guard of his generation and perhaps the best PG ever.  So far as I know, Zeke, Billups, Dennis Johnson, and Tony Parker are the only other Finals MVP true PGs in the post merger history of the league, and all of them had loaded teams when they won the award.  Zeke had a nine deep roster and a prime Dumars and Rodman and Mark Aguirre with him.  Parker had Duncan and Ginobili, and Billups was one of five All Stars in his line up.  As for Johnson, he was the third best player on that team and it feels like a strange mistake that he won Finals MVP over Gus Williams.  So Curry taking over this series and winning MVP feels unprecedented.

7 hours ago, Going Commando said:

He wasn't as great in the Finals as he was in the first three series, but he was still a transcendent one man show.  That was his zen year where he only missed like four FTs in the playoffs and kind of spent everything in the tank to get his ring and was never really the same again.  Kidd and Terry and Chandler were key, but they were definite role players.  A one star team like that (and this GS team) basically needs its role players to lock in for a series like Dallas did to beat a superior opponent, but they were still carried by Dirk.

I think its harder for Curry to have that kind of impact on a series given his size and position, because he basically has to take over via shooting like he did tonight.  And if he's just a little off, it's not going to work.  Bigs and forwards can still take over the paint in a game where their shot isn't there and easily get to the line 10 times and control space and offensive flow and end defensive stands.

If Curry carries the Warriors to a championship as the sole star on this team and wins a finals.MVP, I honestly think it will be the most impressive accomplishment a true PG has ever achieved.  It'll certainly be the crowning moment of his career and cement him as the greatest guard of his generation and perhaps the best PG ever.  So far as I know, Zeke, Billups, Dennis Johnson, and Tony Parker are the only other Finals MVP true PGs in the post merger history of the league, and all of them had loaded teams when they won the award.  Zeke had a nine deep roster and a prime Dumars and Rodman and Mark Aguirre with him.  Parker had Duncan and Ginobili, and Billups was one of five All Stars in his line up.  As for Johnson, he was the third best player on that team and it feels like a strange mistake that he won Finals MVP over Gus Williams.  So Curry taking over this series and winning MVP feels unprecedented.

Magic Johnson, no? I saw you said true point guard, so I can’t tell if you omitted him or don’t view him as a PG.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ball Security said:

Magic Johnson, no? I saw you said true point guard, so I can’t tell if you omitted him or don’t view him as a PG.

I consider him a point forward.  He defies position categorization and was able to impact the game in ways that a true PG can't because he was 6'9.  For instance, you can run Michael Cooper and Byron Scott on the floor at the same time as him without giving up size, or go huge with essentially a three forward line up with him, Worthy, and AC Green on the floor together with Kareem/another true center and not lose ball handling/shot creation.  Basically a more extreme version of LeBron, and a good argument about the artificiality of position categorization as some of the greatest lead ball handlers in basketball history are effectively forward sized.

Hybrid forward/guard players like him who can fully run your offense in transition and from the top of the key and stilll guard forwards and the paint on D are pretty much the most value type of player you can have short of a transcendent seven footer who is your workhorse scorer and rebounder and defensive anchor.  You don't really need any other superstars on your roster to win a championship with one of these types of players.

But a true lead guard who is like 6'4 or less and isn't cleaning the glass for you or routinely switching onto paint match ups or guarding elite scoring wings has never been a championship recipe.  You need so much other good stuff around them to contend that way, which is what would make Curry winning a championship this year his most impressive accomplishment to me.  I can't think of another time where a PG has powered a championship run like that with such unreliable role player support around him before.  Jason Kidd and Iverson got to Finals and Steve Nash and Derrick Rose almost did, but they didn't pull it off.  I think it's interesting and meaningful that Curry has a chance to pull off something that is basically unprecedented, and if he does it, that would argue to me that he is the greatest true PG in NBA history.

• Like 1

Draymond has 4 points, just 4, and they had the sideline reporter do a little special talk about his struggles scoring and how well he’s playing offensively today.  I can’t think of a single all star that would inspire such praise for scoring 4 points.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Destino said:

Draymond has 4 points, just 4, and they had the sideline reporter do a little special talk about his struggles scoring and how well he’s playing offensively today.  I can’t think of a single all star that would inspire such praise for scoring 4 points.  

He just had a wide open dunk but kicked it out for a three. Makes no sense. 

19 minutes ago, Hersh said:

He just had a wide open dunk but kicked it out for a three. Makes no sense. 

he’s got the jitters, but he’s not completely tucking tail like Simmons did.  

Curry is having a bad game but no one’s noticed because Wiggins is on fire.  

I love what the Celtics are doing. They throw a double at Curry but that plays into Draymond best asset of enabling the Warriors to play 4 on 3.

If Curry starts hitting some deep 3s the Celtics are going to try to trap or double harder and they will start to get confused on rotations, it is going to get the Dubs some easy points.