Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

20 minutes ago, CrypticVillain said:

Why do you believe this? People say this all the time and I never cared enough to ask why. 😂

Mainly because of the Garden. It's the best basketball arena with the smartest fans, I think. I mean, you get brief runs like Linsanity or Amare Stoudemire's first 60 games, and it always feels like your watching a playoff game. I think it's the only arena that can create a playoff vibe in the regular season. The Lakers fans can't do that, because they are too spoiled.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Like I said earlier.

If they both sign it would leave Draymond without a chair when the music stops.  He’ll know it too.  I can’t imagine him spending his contract year with images of a smirking Durant dancing around in his head, ending well.  

Im not sure Klay wants to be third fiddle anymore either.  Lots of mentions from talking heads about him being unhappy catching crumbs.  

Not that this will be a problem, as Durant is likely on his way out.  

Klay and KD will probably feel safer in GS, and I don't blame them.

Willing to commit right off the bat with those injuries, they may be more patient then other franchises if they can't stay healthy.  3 of your 5 all-stars going to be recovering from major injuries the next few years, the other two right at 30.  

That would feel like some terrible omen or warning not to do what they did if it goes wrong.

Klay is a winner.  He clearly wants to win more than he wants to control his own team.  He's going to be a Golden State lifer and I admire that about him.

I think the smartest play for Golden State is to bring everybody back, including Cousins.  They can use Bird exceptions to do it.  Spend next season integrating Cousins into their offense as the second option.  Fixing that awful switching defense that broke down in the postseason.  Recharge their batteries and get healthy.  Expectations will be low for the first time in five years, so if they don't make it back to the Finals, no one will care.  Then you get the band back together for 2020-2021.

• Like 1

Klay and KD both know that them staying means Draymond is out.  Probably a big reason for Durant thinking about re-upping w/ the Warriors.  That being said, I can't wait to see the circus act w/ Draymond next year with him knowing he's out the door.  LOL

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Klay is a winner.  He clearly wants to win more than he wants to control his own team.  He's going to be a Golden State lifer and I admire that about him.

I think the smartest play for Golden State is to bring everybody back, including Cousins.  They can use Bird exceptions to do it.  Spend next season integrating Cousins into their offense as the second option.  Fixing that awful switching defense that broke down in the postseason.  Recharge their batteries and get healthy.  Expectations will be low for the first time in five years, so if they don't make it back to the Finals, no one will care.  Then you get the band back together for 2020-2021.

The Warriors don't have his Bird's rights.  They can't resign him for more than 120% of his current salary, which is $6.4 million.  You have to have played for a team for at least 3 years or been traded within a 3 year stint for Birds rights.  Which doesn't apply to Cousins.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2804122-potential-landing-spots-for-demarcus-cousins-in-2019-free-agency#slide0

And while this link doesn't state it, I don't think they can offer him more than 1 year.

(Reading more, the 1 year thing above is wrong, but there are limits on the salary he can be paid beyond year one too.  They can't give him $6.4 next year and $15 million in year 2.  That also changes if they rescind their rights and holds to KD (assuming KD opts out) or Klay or if they just sign elsewhere, but then they can't go over the cap to sign them other than as an exception (which I'm not sure they even have).  Okay, if they can dump Livingston and waive their rights/hold to Durant, they'd have a full MLE, which is about $9 million.)

Edited by PeterMP

2 hours ago, RonArtest15 said:

Klay and KD both know that them staying means Draymond is out.  Probably a big reason for Durant thinking about re-upping w/ the Warriors.  That being said, I can't wait to see the circus act w/ Draymond next year with him knowing he's out the door.  LOL

If they do lock up Durant and Thompson, they could trade him this off-season as part of a semi-tank to add youth.

Whether they resign some combination of Klay, Durant or Green, they’re going to need to figure their bench out. 

One of the things that made the 73 win team possible was their bench could run with anyone and regularly increased leads. 

Livingston is likely done. Iggy might as well be and is inconsistent anyway. Bogut? Cook could be a solid role player with more reps but what is he going to cost? 

2 hours ago, RonArtest15 said:

Draymond:

giphy.gif

• Haha 4

How high is Draymond Green’s trade value anyway?  He forgot how to shoot.  He’s 29 so the defensive ability that makes him special is likely about to nose dive.  He can pass extremely well, but can’t create off the dribble, so he needs a system that plays through him to really maximize that talent.  Can he handle a larger role offensively?

I know he’s a great player, I’ve seen him come up big in big games, but I’m not sure he fits everywhere.  

Oh, and he’s kind of a lunatic.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Destino said:

How high is Draymond Green’s trade value anyway?  He forgot how to shoot.  He’s 29 so the defensive ability that makes him special is likely about to nose dive.  He can pass extremely well, but can’t create off the dribble, so he needs a system that plays through him to really maximize that talent.  Can he handle a larger role offensively?

I know he’s a great player, I’ve seen him come up big in big games, but I’m not sure he fits everywhere.  

Oh, and he’s kind of a lunatic.  

He won’t return an all-star but a team looking to win next season could use him. I wonder it a team like Boston might be interested. Anyway, plenty of teams would be interested. 

11 hours ago, PeterMP said:

The Warriors don't have his Bird's rights.  They can't resign him for more than 120% of his current salary, which is $6.4 million.  You have to have played for a team for at least 3 years or been traded within a 3 year stint for Birds rights.  Which doesn't apply to Cousins. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2804122-potential-landing-spots-for-demarcus-cousins-in-2019-free-agency#slide0

And while this link doesn't state it, I don't think they can offer him more than 1 year. 

(Reading more, the 1 year thing above is wrong, but there are limits on the salary he can be paid beyond year one too.  They can't give him $6.4 next year and $15 million in year 2.  That also changes if they rescind their rights and holds to KD (assuming KD opts out) or Klay or if they just sign elsewhere, but then they can't go over the cap to sign them other than as an exception (which I'm not sure they even have).  Okay, if they can dump Livingston and waive their rights/hold to Durant, they'd have a full MLE, which is about $9 million.) 

Yeah all they can do is extend him this offseason.  They can use Early Bird rights on him next summer if he stays, which is a 175% raise.  But thinking about it, I don't think Cousins is going to stay.  Someone with cap space will be able to beat Golden State's offer by quite a bit and he's at a point in his career where he needs to maximize his earnings.  Taking a discount for a full strength Golden State team when coming off a severe injury is one thing.  But doing it again will stunt his salary potential moving forward even more, unless he plans on finishing his career out in Golden State.

If Golden State renounces Durant's cap hold, then they can't use exceptions to sign him.  They'd have to use cap space.  So they'll keep his hold unless he tells them early on in the process he won't stay.  I think he's going to resign with them though.

1.  Green doesn't bring you much in a trade.  He's clearly slipping, he's in the last year of his contract, he's got a strong personality, and hasn't played with a lot of different people to vouch for him.  I could see San Antonio taking a chance with him.  They've got a respected coach and front office, pretty low key veterans, aren't really a championship contender, but also don't have clear path to get better.  I doubt the Celtics would make that move.  They still have plenty of youth, and you'd have to worry about Green's personality would affect the team and the young players.

2.  I'd be surprised if Cousins is back with GS, but not shocked.  I don't think the demand is going to be there that some people think.  He's still getting older and now has an achilles and a quad tear in the last 2 years.  He's also not a rim protector or somebody that can switch.  The Raptors were running picks to get him manned up against van Vleet.

3.  I do think GS just needs to max Thompson and KD.  They don't really have another choice, except for to completely tear it down (trade Curry) and start over, which doesn't make a lot of sense.  Maybe they could do what the Clippers did.

figures it was going to happen when Vegas had the Lakers as the favorites for the title next year

AD is a game changer, only potential knock on him is health. He should be able to cover up for Bron's growing deficiencies on defense

Lonzo & Zion could be fun, NO has a nice core to build around, but they need some shooters