Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

Kobe might just be better off retiring midseason, as much as I can't stand him it's tough seeing a relic of my youth going down like this.

It was never going to end any other way. Kobe is not going to be a 25 minute a night guy who averages 11.2 on a decent team. He's going to play 40 minutes a night and take 25 shots a game until they put a sheet over him and wheel him out of the arena.

Here's a question: If you get give Kobe a polygraph test and got a truthful answer, how many years do you think he would tell you had left.

I say 7.

• Like 1

I think Kobe has atleast another 3 years minimum. But his supporting cast is awful, and a collection of pieces that don't go together. Lin is a 6thman backup pg. boozer sucks. Bill is ok. Nick young is a joke with talent. And that's all they have! The only upside with this gam broke his leg in the first game of the season. They will be better next year with Nash off the books and another high pick. But I can't see them making any sort of run at the end of his career.

Kobe actually seems willing to pass sometimes - but none of the other Lakers ever do a thing to get themselves open, and when they do get a shot off, they miss.  The other starters were 10 for 35 tonight.  

Byron Scott is running the 2002 76ers offense, with Kobe as Iverson.   I'm not sure what else he can do.

For as deep as everyone said the Bulls rotation was going to be this year, I'm laughing at the fact that Jimmy Butler is averaging a career high 39.8 mpg so far.

Have you noticed how lousy McDermott and Hinrich have been recently?

Thibs doesn't really have a choice and plus Jimmy is playing like an all star.

Edited by BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93

Have you noticed how lousy McDermott and Hinrich have been recently?

Thibs doesn't really have a choice and plus Jimmy is playing like an all star.

He's going to wear the team out by the end of the season again. Chicago is not a one seed. Trying to wring that out of them by running a playoff rotation all year again is going to kill their chances in the playoffs.

I believe Kobe has decided that he is going to win a scoring title if he has to take 50 shots a game to do it.

We are going to be telling our grandkids about this Lakers' season.

you have seen that roster, no?

In order for that team to compete, Kobe has to shoot. It may have been a dream of his to do this, but I imagined it was for a team that was competing for a title. This Lakers team is going to get Okafor next season.

Also props to Steve Nash for quitting on his team. Would get more media coverage if he wasnt favored by the media.

The Lakers aren't about competing for titles right now and neither is Kobe. If he/they were, they/he wouldn't have negotiated that stupid ass contract he ended up with. It takes up a third of their cap. And it made sense ONLY for non-basketball, money-driven goals.

LKB is right, Kobe is absolutely not the type to fade gracefully into retirement, steadily diminishing his role to keep playing for top notch teams. He's going to end his career on his terms. Playing spectacularly selfish basketball for absolutely ****ty teams. But he doesn't deserve sympathy because he's as big a part of the problem of his situation as anyone.

How much long term damage to the Lakers's brand is being this bad going to cause? Part of that Laker aura of superiority/invincibility was in how they were never awful, never had to really rebuild. They've never been a laughing stock before, not that I can remember anyway. Are they really going to sit there and patiently rebuild around a pair of high draft picks, suffering through a bunch of losing seasons until those kids figure it out?

It also doesn't help them that the Clippers are legit now.

And the Warriors too for that matter. Hell, and the Kings? Lakers are, by far, the worst team in California right now. Something you would never believe could happen just two seasons ago, when they traded for Dwight and people were planning their championship parade in August.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

How much long term damage to the Lakers's brand is being this bad going to cause? Part of that Laker aura of superiority/invincibility was in how they were never awful, never had to really rebuild. They've never been a laughing stock before, not that I can remember anyway. Are they really going to sit there and patiently rebuild around a pair of high draft picks, suffering through a bunch of losing seasons until those kids figure it out?

It was pretty bad when they were rolling out Smush Parker and Kwame Brown in the starting lineup.

This time it might be different. No one is going to sign with the Lakers just because they are the Lakers anymore. Big men seem to sign with teams with good perimeter players. Elite perimeter players want to play with high quality big men.

This highly touted rookie class has sucked ass so far. Usually there is at least one guy that starts off on a tear and separates themselves as the ROTY favorite from the get go. Parker and Wiggins were overhyped in college and the expectations surrounding them coming in were unrealistic. It's going to be a couple seasons before they're any good.

I thought Marcus Smart and Nerlens Noel would be better though. Boston is talking like Rondo is their long term plan, so why draft Smart? He's not going to play.

Same for Exum in Utah.

Gordon in Orlando broke his foot, and he was one of the only rookies I thought actually looked like a decent player.

I have a feeling our ROTY candidates were Embiid and Randle and we got robbed of them.

And I think LKB is right, this draft is going to go down as the one where everyone in the top six went to the wrong team. The #1 pick has already been traded. I think several more are going to be traded before their rookie deals are up.

Reminds me of 2011 when Minnesota and Utah picked Williams and Kanter when they already had high quality players at their positions, ensuring they'd never really play featured roles. I hated that Utah picked Kanter in 2011. I hate that they picked Exum in 2014. Both of those players would be so much better off if Kanter ends up in DC and Exum ends up in Milwaukee or Sacramento. Or Orlando if you kick Oladipo to his more natural SG position. Somewhere that isn't already three deep in young developing players at every position.

It's hard to develop a player from the bench. Especially if the team sucks and people are wondering why their #3 overall pick is still only playing 24 minutes a night on a losing team, four years later.

• Like 1

Laker talk (which I am exposed to daily) - there have been a lot of talk radio debates on the "Do you pay to see a winning team vs. do you pay to see Kobe?" The fans here absolutely love Kobe, so they seem torn. I don't think they mind watching the Kobe show, but there are more than you think who would call him selfish and are upset they didnt even try to put together a winning team. T

I think I hear about the league vetoing the Chris Paul trade on a weekly basis and how things would be different. Unfortunately, this year was going to be all about Randle.

When Kobe was going 1-14 the other night the radio guy had umderstatement of the year, "With the level of talent on this team, they can't overcome that type of shooting night from Kobe."

LA will simply pivot to watching Lob City while waiting for their real team to come back.

LA will simply pivot to watching Lob City while waiting for their real team to come back.

The one thing I will never criticize LA fans about is their loyalty to the Lakers and Dodgers. Granted, the Laker fans are Kobe synchophants and the Dodgers fans will straight up murder you in the bathroom. But those fan bases are as passionate as any in sports. They are going to be more invested in this ****show in LA than pretty much any other fanbase would ever be..

I just want to see what the Lakers front office does. They seem to not value defense at all.

They hired D'Antoni. That failed in part because they didn't defend anyone despite having Howard, who subsequently laughed at that sad team and left. This year they let replaced Gasol with Boozer and added JLin as a starter. Not surprisingly they are the worst defensive team in basketball.

This isn't a bad season or a bad contract. There is a pattern here. The Lakers front office doesn't know what it's doing.

Edited by Destino
  • Like 1

Couple of Kobe milestones last night:

First player to score 44+ points in less than 32 mins of playing time since JR Smith in 2009 (good company there)

First player to ever have 34+ FGA's in less than 32 mins going back to the mid-80's, where basketball-reference.com starts/stops tracking such stats (would love to see an ALL-TIME comparison on that)

This isn't a bad season or a bad contract. There is a pattern here. The Lakers front office doesn't know what it's doing.

As a casual observer, it reminds me of the Skins going from Jack Kent Cooke to Dan Snyder. Jerry Buss passing was a crippling blow to the organization.

Couple of Kobe milestones last night:

First player to score 44+ points in less than 32 mins of playing time since JR Smith in 2009 (good company there)

First player to ever have 34+ FGA's in less than 32 mins going back to the mid-80's, where basketball-reference.com starts/stops tracking such stats (would love to see an ALL-TIME comparison on that)

As a casual observer, it reminds me of the Skins going from Jack Kent Cooke to Dan Snyder. Jerry Buss passing was a crippling blow to the organization.

This is fairly amazing.  And yes, there are a lot of similarities in the JKC/Jerry Buss dynamic.

Edited by TryTheBeal!

Durant's gotten an edge lately, hasn't he?

Maybe he's finally accepting the Slim Reaper persona, because let's be real, The Servant is the worst nickname in the NBA. 

I know we've moved on to Kobe and the Lakers and off the Sixers, but this is just too good

https://mobile.twitter.com/MaxRappaport/status/534385502640537600

When Tim Duncan reads that he's going to feel old as ****.  :lol: