Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

When you play 19 years with that kind of volume it's unsurprising, what was surprising to me was that Havlicek was the previous record holder.

Well, Hondo played for 30 years, pretty much all of which were in the breakneck era of quick shots and constant fastbreaks. The pace was so fast and shooting was so poor that you have HoFers shooting around 40% for their career and a lot of guys averaging close to 20 RPG or more for whole seasons.

Elgin Baylor was the undisputed GOAT small forward when he retired in 1972, shot .431 from the field for his career and averaged 13.5 RPG. Hondo's .439 career FG % must have been considered "gaudy."

When you play 19 years with that kind of volume it's unsurprising, what was surprising to me was that Havlicek was the previous record holder.

They didn't analyze efficiency back in the old days.  They just ran back and forth and heaved it up.  That's why Pistol Pete is in the HOF.

Havlicek was a volume chucker who lasted 16 season in an uptempo era full of volume chuckers.  

.gif

'nuff said.

That should be the image on his Wikipedia page. That is perfect.

And you all need to get it right and stop calling the man out of his name. It's not Nick Young (yawn), it's Swaggy P. Come on.

Looking up other weird stats, did you know Karl Malone leads the NBA in most career turnovers?

And John Stockton is second

They didn't analyze efficiency back in the old days.  They just ran back and forth and heaved it up.  That's why Pistol Pete is in the HOF.

Havlicek was a volume chucker who lasted 16 season in an uptempo era full of volume chuckers.

You say volume chucker as if everyone didn't play the same way at the time. Hondo was a little bit more than just a chucker.

They didn't analyze efficiency back in the old days. They just ran back and forth and heaved it up. That's why Pistol Pete is in the HOF.

Yeah on closer inspection it makes more sense, but I was just a little surprised knowing he didn't play heavy minutes(35+) for the first part/end of his career. To take that many shots in 16 seasons where 4 of them were as a 6th man is really impressive.

You say volume chucker as if everyone didn't play the same way at the time. Hondo was a little bit more than just a chucker.

Wasn't knocking him.   He was a great volume chucker, one of the best players of his era.

The game was just different, not as sophisticated.  Defense was non-existent, and offense meant getting a shot up as quickly as possible no matter what the situation.  Wilt and Oscar probably were the only scorers in the league during the 1960s who weren't volume chuckers.   Even Bill Russell shot .440 for his career, and half his shots were from 2 feet away.  

The NBA improved so much in the 70s and on.   Hondo played in the 70s too, and his efficiency went up a bit as the league got better.    

Yeah on closer inspection it makes more sense, but I was just a little surprised knowing he didn't play heavy minutes(35+) for the first part/end of his career. To take that many shots in 16 seasons where 4 of them were as a 6th man is really impressive.

By most accounts, those Celtics teams were inept offensively. Hondo was often the only real top notch scoring threat on those teams. They were designed around having Hondo finish offensive possessions. Seems odd given how successful they were in the postseason, but they were a juggernaut because the way they played defense was in an entirely different league than everyone else.

Wasn't knocking him.   He was a great volume chucker, one of the best players of his era.

The game was just different, not as sophisticated.  Defense was non-existent, and offense meant getting a shot up as quickly as possible no matter what the situation.  Wilt and Oscar probably were the only scorers in the league during the 1960s who weren't volume chuckers.   Even Bill Russell shot .440 for his career, and half his shots were from 2 feet away.  

The NBA improved so much in the 70s and on.   Hondo played in the 70s too, and his efficiency went up a bit as the league got better.

Bill Russell was a volume chucker and Wilt wasn't? WTF?

By most accounts, those Celtics teams were inept offensively. Hondo was often the only real top notch scoring threat on those teams. They were designed around having Hondo finish offensive possessions. Seems odd given how successful they were in the postseason, but they were a juggernaut because the way they played defense was in an entirely different league than everyone else.

Bill Russell was a volume chucker and Wilt wasn't? WTF?

Bill Russell.   .440 shooting percentage for his career.  

Wilt Chamberlain.  .540 shooting percentage for his career.

I'm not saying Russell was a volume chucker, but if he took more shots he would have been.   Everyone in the league was.  Run the court and heave it up, 44 percent, run back.

Except Wilt, who was hitting at an incredibly efficient 54% from the field.  

Bill Russell.   .440 shooting percentage for his career.  

Wilt Chamberlain.  .540 shooting percentage for his career.

I'm not saying Russell was a volume chucker, but if he took more shots he would have been.   Everyone in the league was.  Run the court and heave it up, 44 percent, run back.

Except Wilt, who was hitting at an incredibly efficient 54% from the field.

I don't know, I think you've lost touch with the meaning of chucker when you start using it to describe two of the smartest, most complete, and most successful basketball players ever. I don't think FG % makes your case. Particularly not this case when:

Wilt Chamberlain

A.) actually did take all of his shots around the rim and had much less range than Russell did

B.) is the NBA's quintessential stat chaser.

Bill Russell

A.) was one of the best passing bigs ever and was much more of a playmaker/triggerman for his offense than Chamberlain ever was for his

B.) is the NBA's quintessential anti-stat chaser/The guy who cared nothing for individual stats/The guy who always made the winning play/The winningest basketball player ever.

Nick Young is a chucker. Wilt Chamberlain has far more in common with Nick Young than Bill Russell does.

Relax.   I'm not insulting Bill Russell.   I'm saying that the 1960s  NBA was a chucker's league.   The whole league.  Russell was a great player, but he was not an efficient scorer.   Neither was Havlicek.

Wilt and Oscar were the only efficient offensive players in the whole league in the 60s.    54 percent is 54 percent.   It is efficient.  44 percent is 44 percent.  It is not efficient.  Havlicek (and Russell) were both at 44 percent for their careers, and not because they had to face the vaunted Celtics defense all the time.   :)   They were still great.

(ps - a lot of the stuff you just wrote was Bill Simmons rose colored old school Celtics mythology nonsense, but whatever, no need to go into it again.)   

Edited by Predicto

If you break down the numbers, the NBA in the 60s was built around a lot of shots and a lot of misses. One of the reasons Wilt could average 26 rebounds was because there was 26 rebounds to be had.

I'm not going to look up his numbers, but did Russell even shoot that much? I thought the idea of the Celtics was that Russell blocked the shot or rebounded it and threw an outlet and the first Celtic to get within five feet of the hoop shot it. Didn't Heinsohn, Sam Jones, and Hondo do all the scoring in the 60s?

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother