Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

Wrestling is scripted performance, it's entirely about the spectacle. The NBA is about competition, with teams that are supposed to be trying to win championships. There is a difference between competitive sports and a traveling circus.

You're missing the point. Whether or not wrestling is real is totally irrelevant. It's all entertainment. If you paid to see The Jackson's and Michael didn't show up, you're telling me people shouldn't get a refund? I was just at a WWE even where Cena was advertised and he wasn't there. They made the announcement that "if you want a refund, you have 20 minutes." I don't see why the NBA can't do the samething.

Saying Pop is only obligated to the Spurs is a ridiculous copout.

You're missing the point. Whether or not wrestling is real is totally irrelevant. It's all entertainment. If you paid to see The Jackson's and Michael didn't show up, you're telling me people shouldn't get a refund? I was just at a WWE even where Cena was advertised and he wasn't there. They made the announcement that "if you want a refund, you have 20 minutes." I don't see why the NBA can't do the samething.

Saying Pop is only obligated to the Spurs is a ridiculous copout.

I'm not missing your point, I get what you're saying.  My response is that the NBA is not a scripted performance, it's a competition, and that makes all the difference.  What Pop does keeps the Spurs humming along and winning, which is exactly what he is employed to do.  It what Spurs fans want him to do.  Why on earth should he care, or even spend a moment thinking about, what Houston's fans in Houston prefer to see?  I'm assuming they'd rather see the Rockets win, which is exactly what they got.  If I happen to be at a Wizards/Spurs game in DC I certainly won't shed a tear if Duncan takes a seat.  

I can't fault Pop for resting a 38 year old 7 footer on the back end of a back to back.  He's trying to extend Duncans career so we can all see him thumb his nose at father time in the playoffs. He needs Manu and Duncan in the playoffs and I think he truly thinks he can win without them for some games during the regular season.  

Edited by Destino

Yeah, Pop might not be obligated to anybody else but the Spurs, but the NBA sure is. Duncan, as good as he is, is probably not that big a staranyway. Just imagine if the Cavs did that with LeBron. Yeah, you would want your Wizards to win, but don't tell me you wouldn't want to see one of the greatest players ever. I know I would.

And this is where wrestling and the NBA is the same. They're both driven by star power. When the Cavs play, you have a lot of people there just to see LeBron. In wrestling, it's the samething with whoever is the biggest star at the time.

I think its a joke and the NBA should come down hard on Pop and the Spurs, Spurs played 3 total games while everyone else have played 5 or 6 and they are already "resting" starters.  They don't need rest and even then its not like they are traveling across the country they are staying instate and going to Houston a 2 or 3 hour drive and a 20 minute private flight. Its has the potiental to hurt the brand once every team adopts the rest your starters crap that San Antonio constantly does.

3 damn games and resting already GTFOH they basically threw the game, all those fans paying there hard earned money on the NBA Product and the Spurs pull this crap 3 games into the season, vs a instate rival. Pathetic.

I think the Nuggets should be forced to start McGee because he's more entertaining for fans who pay good money to watch games.  Also Derrick Rose shouldn't be allowed to sit as a precaution, if he can practice they should force him out onto the court.  Fans aren't paying to see Kirk Heinrich.  

Draw the line for me guys.  When is Pop allowed to rest his 37 and 38 year old players? 

• Like 1

3 damn games and resting already GTFOH they basically threw the game, all those fans paying there hard earned money on the NBA Product and the Spurs pull this crap 3 games into the season, vs a instate rival. Pathetic.

When the Spurs stop winning titles and 70% of their games every season, then can **** about their competitiveness and Pop's team management.

You guys hear about Jackson getting frozen out by Perkins and Ibaka? They were talking about it on ESPN just now. Apparently the two OKC bigs refused to pass to Reggie during their last game, at one point Perkins passed it to a someone that wasn't open and turned it over rather than but Reggie who was right in front of him.

OKC is having a hell of a year...

Who cares about the fans who show up just to see star players? If they don't like it, they can never attend an NBA game again and then everyone wins. Basketball is a real sport. Not a wrestling event. Not a concert.

Just like wrestling and a concert, the NBA is entertainment. When you see the NBA promo on ESPN, do they not feature the stars of that particular game or do they just show the logos?

Edited by DM72

Just like wrestling and a concert, the NBA is entertainment. When you see the NBA promo on ESPN, do they not feature the stars of that particular game or do they just show the logos?

the Spurs aren't doing this on their home court.  They are doing this for road games.  So you are saying that the Rockets can't sell out their own games and the Heat last year because the spurs sat people. They should be paying to see their own team

Maybe Pop isn't but the NBA sure has an obligation. When they advertised this game, I'm will to bet Duncan and Ginoboli was in the highlights. Let's not play games, the NBA is about the stars, just like pro wrestling. People pay to see the stars. When they don't show up or play, fans, if they want one, should have the option to receive a refund.

That's the NBA Marketing team's problem, NOT Pop. Pop is the coach. His job is to have his team in the best possible form to win another championship. If that means resting guys, even if it's this early, then he has that right.

the Spurs aren't doing this on their home court.  They are doing this for road games.  So you are saying that the Rockets can't sell out their own games and the Heat last year because the spurs sat people. They should be paying to see their own team

I'm sure the Rockets won't have any problem selling out games this year. But that's not the point. What about the fan of an out of town/state team and this was your only chance to see them? Look, if the NBA gave refunds to the fans that wanted one, it would be so few fans that the NBA wouldn't even notice. But it would be a good gesture to at least give the fans that option.

And not all teams can sellout their arenas. What if Pop pulled this against a bad team like Philly in Philly? Sure, they want to see the Sixers win, but who do you think the majority of the crowd came to see?

I ask most of you this. I assume most of you are Wizards fans. How much did Wizard/Cavs tix cost last year compared to this year?

That's the NBA Marketing team's problem, NOT Pop. Pop is the coach. His job is to have his team in the best possible form to win another championship. If that means resting guys, even if it's this early, then he has that right.

This. I was thinking how to phrase my reply (NBA, ESPN, TNT, etc = "marketing team") but you got there first. Thank you sir.

I'm sure the Rockets won't have any problem selling out games this year. But that's not the point. What about the fan of an out of town/state team and this was your only chance to see them? Look, if the NBA gave refunds to the fans that wanted one, it would be so few fans that the NBA wouldn't even notice. But it would be a good gesture to at least give the fans that option.

And not all teams can sellout their arenas. What if Pop pulled this against a bad team like Philly in Philly? Sure, they want to see the Sixers win, but who do you think the majority of the crowd came to see?

I ask most of you this. I assume most of you are Wizards fans. How much did Wizard/Cavs tix cost last year compared to this year?

You clearly don't see the brilliance in Pop's strategy.  Why waste your starters when they played the night before and then have to play against a team who is younger and way fresher when the odds of you winning a back to back are low?  

Pop wouldn't rest his starters against the 76ers because he would know that he can play his starters way less minutes and still win.  In order to beat the Rockets, you would have to play Parker, Duncan over 35+ mins.

The great thing about sports is that at the end of the day, there is a winner and a loser. We ultimately get an answer. The results speak for themselves. Pop is a champion. He is probably the greatest coach not named Phil or Red to ever live (and it can probably be legitimately argued he's greater than them). So yeah, Pop wins, /debate.

• Like 1