Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

A lot of "if" going on there.  If Noel and Embiid can play at the same time and one of them is an allstar level player AND they find another really good or allstar player (maybe MCW in the future or whoever they draft) they could add the vets in later.  If their draft picks don't work out they are stuck in hell.

The architects of this "rebuild" are going to be long fired by the time anything ever comes of it. 

Embiid is a legit franchise caliber talent IMO. But he and Noel don't make any kind of sense together. And after you get your franchise player in Embiid, you need to be trying to bring in more good players to stabilize the roster into something decent, not send any few remaining ones away. Playing bad basketball on hopeless teams is poisonous to the development of young talent IMO. Losing tends to create losers.

We saw it come dangerously close to that in the first two years of the Wall era. Running John Wall out there with a team starting Jordan Crawford, Nick Young, Andray Blatche, and JaVale McGee... barf. Not a single player on those teams outside Wall himself could start for a legit NBA team. Philly is worse since they don't even have one player that could start for a legit NBA team this year.

What are they even tanking for? The best prospect in this class is another Al Jefferson.

They need to cash the Noel chip in the first good offer that comes along. Then they need to start buttressing that roster with decent role players so that they can start competing next season when Embiid is healthy.

I agree with everything except the architects being fired. Everyone in Philly, FO and fans, are 100% with losing every night. As long as the fans aren't rioting (trust me, they aren't. I live with them lol), the FO are cool. It's really weird cuz you'd figure a Philly fanbase wouldn't be ok with it. But they are.

I just don't see it because like you said, embid and Noel don't make sense together. MCW may be something, KJ McDaniels looks ok, but outside of that, it's garbage

Adding role players in the nba doesn't take long. Philly could add a bunch of decent vets to that team in a single offseason and change everything. Look at the Wizards roster in Walls first year, when I think it was Arenas that warned that a team could be too young. A few years later the team is old. Philly is even younger but the turn around can be the same if some of those draft picks work out.

I think Steve nailed it when he asked why they are tanking now. They've got a bunch of young players they like, they should be developing them, not continuing to tank.

Just knocked on some wood for Wall....but Rose got FRYED for his comments (before last night) regarding how he comes back from injury. 

That wasn't totally fair.

Rose has never been the most articulate of interviewees, and I think he was basically expressing his frustrations about his injuries and everyone turned it into "Play hard, pansy entitled millionaire athlete!"

How would we have responded if Rose said, "I'm not sure I can be Michael Jordan any longer, but I'm trying to avoid being Grant Hill."

Because that's what his career is right now: Avoiding becoming Grant Hill. I have to think he wants to murder someone over this.

Just knocked on some wood for Wall....but Rose got FRYED for his comments (before last night) regarding how he comes back from injury.

Reebok defintely played a role in Wall's early injuries. Don't know if you remember but Ted revealed that to me in an email and then threatened to stop talking to me after I posted about it on here, lol

Rose has a history. People haven't forgotten that despite practicing full speed with the team for weeks he had no interest in returning for the playoffs. You just don't see that in sports where most guys are arguing with doctors to let them play. It didn't save him from ending up injured again.

Personally I think Roses approach makes sense overall at this point. He just needs some PR help. Chauncey Billup on ESPN nailed it, he said Rose should have said "we're first in the east and I don't need to push it right now because we have to be full strength come playoff time". Had he said that he'd be getting pats in the back today. Instead of making it about the team, he made it about himself, so fans got upset because they'd all be willing to destroy their bodies for their employers. I'm sure.

Adding role players in the nba doesn't take long. Philly could add a bunch of decent vets to that team in a single offseason and change everything. Look at the Wizards roster in Walls first year, when I think it was Arenas that warned that a team could be too young. A few years later the team is old. Philly is even younger but the turn around can be the same if some of those draft picks work out.

I think Steve nailed it when he asked why they are tanking now. They've got a bunch of young players they like, they should be developing them, not continuing to tank.

Problem is Philly doesn't really have a precocious future perennial AS franchise PG on the team to get Martell Websters and Trevor Arizas paid. They're building around two flawed prospects from one of the worst draft classes in memory, one of whom is already 23. Them and a franchise caliber center prospect with a serious back injury that's, realistically, four or five seasons away from being able play at an AS level and carry a team. If he doesn't bust.

A quick turn around is not in their future. The foundation pieces don't even fit well together yet.

That's why that FO is playing with fire by tanking this hard. The fans might be reveling in the tanking now--in year three of the rebuild--but come three or four seasons from now when they're still picking high in the lottery, they won't be. They'll be two years into their next FO regime and applauding moves that trade off disappointing young talent for sturdy vets to put around Embiid. This is exactly what happened in Sacramento, five or six years after Tyreke Evans kicked off their "promising" rebuild by winning ROTY.

If one of the Philly players develops into a stud, there is a good chance that he will bail in free agency to a contender with cap space the first chance he gets.  Losing miserably for years and years is psychological poison and becomes part of a team's culture.  We endured it for way too many years on the Warriors.  Every good player managed to leave for greener pastures, and who could blame them? 

I think the Philly management is utter idiots.

Yeah but the Wiz lucked into two studs in Beal and Wall

I don't think any of the Philly kids have that type of ceiling.

Sure they can add vets but being good isn't going to win them a chip

I think Embiid has All NBA ceiling. Assuming his back injury isn't a harbinger of things to come. The size and natural offensive skill level is Hakeem-like. He's your ticket to an eventual shot at a championship if you're smart enough to develop him and build a quality team around him.

New Orleans and Sacramento both lucked into franchise caliber big men recently. One of them demonstrates the smart way to build around that player. The other one demonstrates the stupid way. There are a lot of reasons why Sacramento has a new regime than the one that picked Cousins, but incompetence and constant losing are the two biggest. There's a reason why they're two years behind New Orleans and only just started getting competitive this year, immediately after leveraging their young talent into quality role players. Cousins's status in Sacramento is only just now getting solidified. Davis's was solidified in New Orleans almost immediately, and they've been trending up. They'll be realistically competing for a championship within the next three years I bet. And then I bet they're going to win one within the next six.

Philly is taking the Sacramento model to the extreme:

Step 1: get rid of all our good players.

Step 2: suck for a long time.

Step 3: get a bunch of high draft picks.

Step 4: ???

Step 5: Championship!

As an aside, yeah the Wizards lucked into Wall. That was a good year to win the lottery, and I think we moved up three places. Beal we earned. And that good luck was counterbalanced by some bad luck that slowed our rebuild--the lock out stunting Wall's development, Wall's injury in year three that almost got everyone fired, picking high in two **** draft classes sandwiched in between the Wall and Beal years. I absolutely love Otto Porter. But a moderately wealthy man's Tayshaun Prince is a let down with a #3 pick almost any year. And he's probably going to end up being the best top ten pick from that year! It didn't just happen for the Wizards after drafting a couple studs. Everything almost failed at several critical points after drafting Wall. Ernie Grunfeld is extremely lucky to have his job, and few owners are as ridiculously patient and conservative as Ted Leonsis.

Only 2 assists? He doesn't pass enough. I'm not sure he's clutch enough. Can he score 10 points on five consecutive isolation plays in the playoffs in the 4th? I haven't seem it yet so I'm, going to say he's mentally weak. He's no Jordan!

That's Davis' next step, ridiculous criticism. Assuming he ever makes the playoffs. Right now everyone is still awed by his age.

Davis won't get near the criticism LeBron faced.  He's in a puny market and never had close to the hype.  Plus he's quiet and isn't shoved in your face all day.

And the unibrow.

If one of the Philly players develops into a stud, there is a good chance that he will bail in free agency to a contender with cap space the first chance he gets.  Losing miserably for years and years is psychological poison and becomes part of a team's culture.  We endured it for way too many years on the Warriors.  Every good player managed to leave for greener pastures, and who could blame them? 

I think the Philly management is utter idiots.

Wizards fans know it too. Except the part about seeing good players leave for better teams. We haven't had many of those. I think the Bobcats/Hornets are pretty much the only franchise with less brand equity than us. 6-2 is our best start since the 70's. Think about how sad that is. And what's sadder, we weren't trying not to compete. We just sucked.

Uprooting a culture of losing is extremely hard to do once it sets in.

That wasn't totally fair.

Rose has never been the most articulate of interviewees, and I think he was basically expressing his frustrations about his injuries and everyone turned it into "Play hard, pansy entitled millionaire athlete!"

How would we have responded if Rose said, "I'm not sure I can be Michael Jordan any longer, but I'm trying to avoid being Grant Hill."

Because that's what his career is right now: Avoiding becoming Grant Hill. I have to think he wants to murder someone over this.

Rose in front of a mic = no bueno.  It's not the first time that he, or someone from his camp, have put their foot in their mouths.  Like Destino said, he needs some serious PR help. 

Reebok defintely played a role in Wall's early injuries. Don't know if you remember but Ted revealed that to me in an email and then threatened to stop talking to me after I posted about it on here, lol

Yea, I remember that!  I think it also made its way over to the sports bog, or something from the WaPo.

Rose has a history. People haven't forgotten that despite practicing full speed with the team for weeks he had no interest in returning for the playoffs. You just don't see that in sports where most guys are arguing with doctors to let them play. It didn't save him from ending up injured again.

Personally I think Roses approach makes sense overall at this point. He just needs some PR help. Chauncey Billup on ESPN nailed it, he said Rose should have said "we're first in the east and I don't need to push it right now because we have to be full strength come playoff time". Had he said that he'd be getting pats in the back today. Instead of making it about the team, he made it about himself, so fans got upset because they'd all be willing to destroy their bodies for their employers. I'm sure.

Agreed.  However, I do think that (to an extent) Rose is treated with kid gloves....ESPECIALLY by the Chicago media.  Probably because he's from there, but still. 

I missed this when it was published, but it's germane to our current discussion:

http://deadspin.com/jesus-have-you-looked-at-the-76ers-roster-1646817254

You can clearly see the anguish in Nerlens's eyes.

Also, I bet Mark Cuban promised to get his team something nice for utterly embarrassing the 76ers. I think he hates seeing what they're doing.

Agreed.  However, I do think that (to an extent) Rose is treated with kid gloves....ESPECIALLY by the Chicago media.  Probably because he's from there, but still. 

Naw man. They are killing him in Chicago. The Sun Times have been going Skip Bayless on him for a while now.

Here's one link: http://chicagosuntimes.com/sports/marc-trestman-and-derrick-rose-needed-some-serious-pr-help/

He's basically getting the RG3 treatment. Hopefully, d-rose learns how to stfu soon like Griff did 

Yeah Rose is a lousy interview. I think one of the reasons he wasn't criticized much prior to the injury stuff was what Sticks mentioned about Davis: he's quiet. Quiet home-bodies like him don't usually give a lot of grist for fans and media to chew on.

D-Rose's family sheltered the **** out of him growing up so I think that's why he's such an awkward dude. I'd hate to be trapped in an elevator with him. 

Idk...the sleeved jerseys were way better. 

Edited by BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93

You know what else is interesting? Philly is 20 million under the salary floor. If they finish the year that way, that 20 million gets split up among and paid out to the players on the roster. It's as if Philly is saying to their players, "here's a 1.5 million dollar bonus for tolerating the tanking and keeping quiet about it."

You know the likes of Jerami Grant and Jakarr Sampson are sitting there praying management doesn't sign anyone else.

I actually kind of love that they say the first names on the back. That "Serge" jersey is awesome.

But how weird is it to see Durant referred to as Kevin? Durant's mom probably calls him Durant.

Also Blake stands out to me as the dorkiest, least likely NBA name.