Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

3 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

The sum of the whole can win titles. Toronto just proved that. San Antonio has done it a few times. 

Idk, man, Toronto and San Antonio basically caught superteams at the end of their run.  You say anyone could do what LA did, it was very clear from get-go not everyone had the same chance to sign LeBron.  This isn't true it could happen anywhere, ask the Knicks.

Even Heats were one Ray Allen clutch three away from only getting one championship.  And they filled their roster with good vets on bargain contracts chasing a ring.  We won't have that kind of funneling effect anymore because for one, there are a lot more viable championship contenders.

3 superstars is no guarantee of a championship.  You still need quality role players.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

The sum of the whole can win titles. Toronto just proved that. San Antonio has done it a few times. 

They both had hall of fame players. Toronto just proved you could do it with a top-5 player leading the way and if the super team is decimated by injuries.

1 minute ago, StillUnknown said:

all that he just played through and he settles for 5mil per?

he must reeeeeeeally like being a warrior

People out here getting $15 mil a season for taking off their warmups without falling over and he’s their big of the future, a vital cog as Kerr said, played through pain for them and settled at that cost lol

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

1 minute ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

People out here getting $15 mil a season for taking off their warmups without falling over and he’s their big of the future, a vital cog as Kerr said, played through pain for them and settled at that cost lol

Thomas Bryant got 8mil per over 3 years

Welp, it finally looks like Butler will be wearing pink.

That, plus the Whiteside trade, make my annual Heat Hate Party a bit more challenging this year.  Not sure I have it in me...

Edit:  Wait, is bum ass Kelly Olynyk still down there?

Edited by TryTheBeal!
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Sign and trades are costly.

They are and while I think the GS thing isn't going to work out, I can understand it.

But Miami had options.  Richardson is young and relatively cheap.

Butler doesn't move the needle enough to help them that much, and the Harkless contract isn't that bad.

I know he doesn't like the idea of tanking, but the only way this makes any sense is if it is a "fake" first round pick (something where it is ridiculously protected and conveys in some other year as a 2nd round pick if it doesn't convey).

The Miami moves in general don't make much sense to me (again, Butler over Richardson doesn't raise them to the level of a real contender so you're getting older and more expensive without much (if any improvement)), but certainly not giving up a real first round pick.

It is a bad move by Miami.

Edited by PeterMP

5 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Riles been doing deals for awhile now like a man with 2 weeks left to live. Lottery protected

Yeah, it has some protections, but based on reports, eventually it is going to convey as a 1st round pick.

This is a bad move.

I know.

Riles is old school. It's not in his dna to tank, and in some ways, im grateful, but **** like that is how you end up in perpetual no man's land, having to constantly mortgage your future for a shot at being a contender, washing, rinsing, and repeating, handing out bad contracts to mediocre tryhard players

Edited by Mr. Sinister

But if you can get a team that plays elite defense and have one great player go on an epic playoff run, you can win a championship so long as you're not lining up against a Super team.

Is Jimmy Butler that kind of player a la Dirk/Kawhi?  I don't know.

But Miami's defense looks really really good.  And they've got a great coach.  I think they'll easily win the Southeast next season and get a pretty good seed.  I think it's worth a shot for them.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

But if you can get a team that plays elite defense and have one great player go on an epic playoff run, you can win a championship so long as you're not lining up against a Super team.

But Miami's defense looks really really good.  And they've got a great coach.  I think they'll easily win the Southeast next season and get a pretty good seed.  I think it's worth a shot for them.

Teams stand no chance of attracting players to a bad team unless Lebron is there.  Miami might be hoping to attract a free agent down the road.  There's also the fact that tanking has never been less effective. 

I'm not going to hate on any NBA team for trying to field a decent team for their fans.  I would much rather see teams that do that succeed than teams like the Knicks that are horrible and just hope to luck into a draft pick or free agent to save them from themselves. 

10 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

No he's not.

Even in his best years, he was not close to a MVP candidate, and his defense has slipped noticeably.  Simmons ended up defending Leonard after the first game because Butler couldn't do it, and if they had played Milwaukee, he wouldn't have defended Giannis either.

At this point in time, Richardson is probably a better defender than Butler.

(In general, I don't think their defense will be that good.  Bam slides into the starting 5 presumably, and he's good, but I'm not sure he'll be as good as a starter as he was as a backup.)

Unless something else drops, they are fighting for a bottom seed at best and certainly out of the playoffs after the 2nd round (maybe they can actually make the playoffs execute 1st round upset, but they aren't winning 2 rounds).  And they don't seem to have the resources to make something else happens.

There is no real mystery here.  It was a bad move.

Edited by PeterMP

Screwed themselves into the ground is an exaggeration. They haven’t relinquished draft picks or given bad long term contracts. They struck out in FA pretty badly, although I think Julius Randle can be a good player in the right setting. They’ll have tons of cap room again in two seasons. What they do with it is a different story. But it’s a good timeframe to see how a core of Dennis Smith Jr, Barrett and Randle plays.