Jump to content
Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***


RonArtest15
 Share

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

But if you can get a team that plays elite defense and have one great player go on an epic playoff run, you can win a championship so long as you're not lining up against a Super team.

 

That's no different than any other time in NBA history.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Next years FA is weak class.  Everybody knows it.  What they Knicks have done is to put themselves in a position to develop some young talent and maybe get lucky on some other guys and be players in the FA market in 2 years if they don't get lucky.

 

Portis is still youngish and might figure things out.  Gibson is a pro that had an interesting increase in his 3 point % (on low volume) last year.  Etc.

 

If some of those guys break out, they might turn into a good team quickly, or they could be pieces that could be moved as part of some other deal.

 

If they don't, their contracts aren't awful, they won't get in the way of playing the young guys and in 2 years, they can be gone, and the Knicks can be players in the FA market again.

 

(and really, even before that they can move them if they need to.  None of them are on awful contracts where if next summer the Knicks want to move (some) of them, they'll be able to trade the last year of those deals for not too much.  A youngish guy with one year of not an awful contract isn't the hardest thing to move.)

 

If you've decided you don't want to max KD, then the Knicks moves are very reasonable.  If you think that maxing KD wasn't a smart move, anybody that thinks the Knicks have had a bad off season doesn't understand the NBA.

Edited by PeterMP
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

 

Two of those 4 Warriors teams were virtually all homegrown talent and weren’t a super team so that’s not really relevant to this discussion. Actually, one of those finals was a shocking upset by the Cavs coming back from 3-1 in one of the greatest moments in NBA history. Not really helping your case. 

 

So again, I’m not complaining. The NBA was then and still is a quality and entertaining product. 

 

I guess the league sucked to watch when you could pencil Jordan into the finals every offseason. Yawn. Lol

 

Or the Celtics and Lakers, basically every year of the 80s.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

It only sucks because it's not your favorite team. 

 

Once you experience the dynasty... 

 

Man, I'm convinced I dont have to worry about testing this theory, but I'd feel the same way if it was us trying to do what the Warriors just did or Lakers are trying to do. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

Seriously, if the Wizards had won a few championships over the last twenty years..  The fan base would be huge. I've only met one Orlando fan in my life. 

 

I agree, this is a large enough market that winning rings would absolutely make a difference.  Just look at how the Nats built their fan base basically from scratch here and people wanted to called DC a hockey town because of the caps.  As a basketball fan, I woulda felt dirty if we had a super team like what we've seen lately, that's all I'm saying.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

 

I agree, this is a large enough market that winning rings would absolutely make a difference.  Just look at how the Nats built their fan base basically from scratch here and people wanted to called DC a hockey town because of the caps.  As a basketball fan, I woulda felt dirty if we had a super team like what we've seen lately, that's all I'm saying.

 

I'm sorry @Renegade7, I tried, I really did.  I wanted us to do it the principled, right way, but now I just don't care.  There are very few things I wouldn't do for a Wizards dynasty.  Unfortunately, not selling your soul to the basketball devil didn't make the cut.  My bad.  😢

 

I'll still try my best to feel dirty every once in a while.👌

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Typical Wizards: finally tanking long after it was the obvious choice, and now pretty much pointless due to the draft changes.

 

I will root for IT just as hard as I rooted for Austin Rivers to take the next bus out of here. We are going to average 140+ against every night next year.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

 

Man, I'm convinced I dont have to worry about testing this theory, but I'd feel the same way if it was us trying to do what the Warriors just did or Lakers are trying to do. 

 

Gotta wet your beak first before you deny thy flesh

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So, I stopped watching NBA basketball about 15 years ago.  I really loved the Lakers in the 80s, though I started to lose interest in regular season games in the 90s... Then I lost interest in the playoffs too.  But, I started to get interested again during the finals this year.  I have followed the offseason, and I am starting to get interested again.  I have never been to an NBA game live, and I think I'm going to try to go to one this year.  I have always regretted that I never went to see Jordan play.  So, if I do go to a game this year... I think I should try to see Lebron.  I have a few basic questions about trying to do that.

 

1. Does every team play at least one game in ever city?  Like will the Lakers play at least one game in Chicago, Minnesota, Denver... Etc? I live in South Dakota, and I would prefer to avoid the expense of plane tickets.  

 

2.  When does the regular season schedule come out?

 

3.  Does it make more sense to buy tickets way early, or can good seats be available a couple weeks before the game?

 

4. I hear a lot about load management.  I want to avoid going to games where stars are more likely to sit out.  In general, do players sit out more in non-conference games, away vs home, around the all star game vs the last weeks of the season.  Any advice on picking games where the stars are less likely to sit out?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

 

Gotta wet your beak first before you deny thy flesh

 

1582389347_giphy(23).gif.040a874750cb2b6592353d85cca1b1bc.gif

 

For real, the Redskins have literally made me cry before as a kid (Portis catch and run against Green Bay that got called back for illegal motion then we lost for example) and re-re-re-evaluate what it means to be a fan in an attempt to not turn on them.  

 

Sometimes I wonder if the Wizards cant break me or both of them already have and I just dont want to admit it.  But it's far easier to cuss them both out in person and move on with my life then it used to be versus letting it linger for days or a whole week.

 

Maybe you right and I shouldnt have this side me that's knows I might not see either of them win another ring until I'm on my death bed like some Red Sox or Cubs fan. Enjoying the much needed distraction for now, but theres no moral victories.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Nerm said:

So, I stopped watching NBA basketball about 15 years ago.  I really loved the Lakers in the 80s, though I started to lose interest in regular season games in the 90s... Then I lost interest in the playoffs too.  But, I started to get interested again during the finals this year.  I have followed the offseason, and I am starting to get interested again.  I have never been to an NBA game live, and I think I'm going to try to go to one this year.  I have always regretted that I never went to see Jordan play.  So, if I do go to a game this year... I think I should try to see Lebron.  I have a few basic questions about trying to do that.

 

1. Does every team play at least one game in ever city?  Like will the Lakers play at least one game in Chicago, Minnesota, Denver... Etc? I live in South Dakota, and I would prefer to avoid the expense of plane tickets.  

 

2.  When does the regular season schedule come out?

 

3.  Does it make more sense to buy tickets way early, or can good seats be available a couple weeks before the game?

 

4. I hear a lot about load management.  I want to avoid going to games where stars are more likely to sit out.  In general, do players sit out more in non-conference games, away vs home, around the all star game vs the last weeks of the season.  Any advice on picking games where the stars are less likely to sit out?

 

Yes, they should play a game in every city unless something happens and a game gets move to Europe or something (which a quick search seems to suggest won't involve the Lakers).

 

The schedule is normally released in early/mid Aug.

 

Just depends on the teams.  If they are healthy and playing well, the Lakers are going to be a hot ticket this year.  In the secondary market, you can probably get a good seat for any game if you are willing to pay.  But if Giannis goes down to early season injury, and the Buck stink, you'll be much more likely to get a good seat for cheaper by waiting in Milwaukee.  If Chicago ends up being better than expected, then you'll pay for having waited in Chicago.

 

Avoid games that are back-to-backs (it used to be stars sat the 2nd game of the back-to-back, but there has been more of a shift to sit them the first depending on the game/schedule so I'd avoid any game part of a back-to-back) and avoid games that are towards the end of long road trips and cases where it is 3 games in 4 days.

Edited by PeterMP
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

 

Yes, they should play a game in every city unless something happens and a game gets move to Europe or something (which a quick search seems to suggest won't involve the Lakers).

 

The schedule is normally released in early/mid Aug.

 

Just depends on the teams.  If they are healthy and playing well, the Lakers are going to be a hot ticket this year.  In the secondary market, you can probably get a good seat for any game if you are willing to pay.  But if Giannis goes down to early season injury, and the Buck stink, you'll be much more likely to get a good seat for cheaper by waiting in Milwaukee.  If Chicago ends up being better than expected, then you'll pay for having waited in Chicago.

 

Avoid games that are back-to-backs (it used to be stars sat the 2nd game of the back-to-back, but there has been more of a shift to sit them the first depending on the game/schedule so I'd avoid any game part of a back-to-back) and avoid games that are towards the end of long road trips and cases where it is 3 games in 4 days.

 

Thanks for the reply.  I am leaning towards Milwaukee, as they look like the most interesting team that is less than a 10 hour drive for me.  I hope that game makes sense for me when the schedule comes out.

 

I will be willing to spend extra for good seats.  It will probably be a once in a lifetime thing, so I don't want to leave thinking my view of the game sucked.  I may also consider flying to Phoenix, as I have family I could stay with there.  I also have family in LA, but I assume "good seats" would be prohibitively expensive for Laker home games.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

 

1582389347_giphy(23).gif.040a874750cb2b6592353d85cca1b1bc.gif

 

For real, the Redskins have literally made me cry before as a kid (Portis catch and run against Green Bay that got called back for illegal motion then we lost for example) and re-re-re-evaluate what it means to be a fan in an attempt to not turn on them.  

 

Sometimes I wonder if the Wizards cant break me or both of them already have and I just dont want to admit it.  But it's far easier to cuss them both out in person and move on with my life then it used to be versus letting it linger for days or a whole week.

 

Maybe you right and I shouldnt have this side me that's knows I might not see either of them win another ring until I'm on my death bed like some Red Sox or Cubs fan. Enjoying the much needed distraction for now, but theres no moral victories.

 

Its a swing/miss league. Nobody wants to be what we are (a now 6-8 seed). Only reason im content is because i have been to the mountaintop, and the view (s) changes a man forever

 

* Ahem, a 6-8 seed with no future

 

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

 

Its a swing/miss league. Nobody wants to be what we are (a now 6-8 seed). Only reason im content is because i have been to the mountaintop, and the view (s) changes a man forever

 

* Ahem, a 6-8 seed with no future

 

 

No Whiteside means Sin brightside.

 

I cant wait to feel your joy...#mahinmi

9 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

 

 

Now that’s a nice pickup.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

WCS must be taking a super discount.  I thought Warriors were right up against the hard cap.  

 

If Looney and WCS suddenly renegotiate more lucrative deals next season, I wonder if there will be calls to investigate.

Edited by bearrock
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, bearrock said:

WCS must be taking a super discount.  I thought Warriors were right up against the hard cap.  

 

If Looney and WCS suddenly renegotiate more lucrative deals next season, I wonder if there will be calls to investigate.

 

He's taken a deal near the min is what is being reported.  He's certainly worth more than that.

 

The Nets paid DeAndre Jordan 4 year $40 million and his best days are clearly behind him.  Assuming KD isn't ready to play, in 2 years they'd almost certainly better off with Stein than Jordan.

 

Either he couldn't find a deal he wanted and this is one year and he feels like one big/good year in GS will allow him to get that bigger contract or as steve said, they are paying him under the table.

 

(WCS has talked about getting $100 million, which wasn't going to happen.  Something like the DeAndre Jordan contract would have been completely reasonable.)

 

(For Stein, the issue is that I don't think GS can do much for him next year even.  They are going to still be pretty much capped out, and off a one year contract, they won't own his bird rights.  This is really:

 

1.  Stein wants to win and he felt this gave him the best chance to win.

 

2.  It was the best deal out there.

 

3.  He feels like it gives him the best chance to build his value for next year, which is a weak FA year and so maybe he'd be more sought off after next year.

 

4.  He really likes the area.

 

5.  GS is doing something patently illegal beyond suggesting better deals in the future.

 

(Or some combination thereof.))

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Destino changed the title to ***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   1 member

×
×
  • Create New...