Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

Thompson wasn't voted into the game by fans, he was selected as a reserve by the coaches. He was a legit All Star.

I'm finding it interesting that you think Klay is a role player. He's a star and meets the standard of obviousness that was proposed by Mr Sinister. Wall and Davis are absolutely stars and not role players too, I'm only letting that slide because neither have been on good teams before. Thompson is overruled though. If you would like to appeal this outcome, you need to petition the highest judge in the land and get Skip Bayless to give you a ruling on whether or not Klay is a role player or star.

• Like 1

Wait, you get to pick the year of the player, not just the overall strength of the player?

Ok, I'll take Wilt in 1961.  The team only won 49 games, but he went for 50 points and 25 rebs.   :)

Thompson wasn't voted into the game by fans, he was selected as a reserve by the coaches. He was a legit All Star.

I'm finding it interesting that you think Klay is a role player. He's a star and meets the standard of obviousness that was proposed by Mr Sinister. Wall and Davis are absolutely stars and not role players too, I'm only letting that slide because neither have been on good teams before. Thompson is overruled though. If you would like to appeal this outcome, you need to petition the highest judge in the land and get Skip Bayless to give you a ruling on whether or not Klay is a role player or star.

I never said Klay was a role player.   You said that Draymond is a role player.   Both are stars, actually.

Clever. I should have made a rule that ABA and international seasons don't count. Too hard to figure out how production in those leagues translates to the NBA. Bobby Jones goes from being a world beater in the ABA to a sixth man and a role player in the NBA. Clearly there was a difference in the level of competition just before the merger. But even if you ignore international seasons, Sabonis works based off his NBA seasons.

The point of this was to examine who the best role players in NBA history were. Glue guys who you need for championships. Every self respecting NBA fan knows about the greats and can build a great All Time team from the top 15 or so players. But it takes some thought and appreciation for the difficulty of team building if you limit yourself to having to settle for role players in most of your rotation spots.

Clever. I should have made a rule that ABA and international seasons don't count. Too hard to figure out how production in those leagues translates to the NBA. Bobby Jones goes from being a world beater in the ABA to a sixth man and a role player in the NBA. Clearly there was a difference in the level of competition just before the merger. But even if you ignore international seasons, Sabonis works based off his NBA seasons.The point of this was to examine who the best role players in NBA history were. Glue guys who you need for championships. Every self respecting NBA fan knows about the greats and can build a great All Time team from the top 15 or so players. But it takes some thought and appreciation for the difficulty of team building if you limit yourself to having to settle for role players in most of your rotation spots.

Don't get bogged down on the rules you didn't make. Just appreciate how mega-sweet my team is. You'd love to watch this crew mix it up against damn near anybody.

Hell, I'd give my pinky toe just to watch these guys practice one time.

Edited by TryTheBeal!

Recency bias in this thread for sure. Lebron is probably the most athletic nba player ive ever seen (he can do nearly everything as well as anyone else in the league), and similarly to mj, I don't think he has an equal in the nba.

But we can start the lebron > mj talk when he gets a comparable amount of rings.

Being super talented doesn't mean a lot when the guy you are comparing him with ALWAYS got it done.

This is a legit question.

Also, there was no greater winner than Jordan. He might not have the same skill set as someone who is as freakishly athletic as Lebron, but that dude could will his team to win no matter the circumstances. If there's a game that is a must win and I could choose anybody to lead that team, it's Jordan, hands down. That's no slight to anybody else because let's face it, we're talking about the best of the best here. Jordan > Lebron

Bill Russell won 11 titles

He a greater winner.

With modern rules that allow zone defense and doubles, I think it would be easier to make life difficult for bigs than it would be to do anything about a 250 pound Lebron marauding around the court with MJ as his preferred option. This isn't to say that a standard role player front court would be able to come close to stopping Wilt and Russell, but you could harass them and force them to pass it more more easily than you could do the same to Lebron and MJ..

I disagree

The rules today favor a dominant big who can pass out of a double and is athletic.

Russell and Wilt would have been great in this era.

The rules today favor a dominant big who can pass out of a double and is athletic.

Russell and Wilt would have been great in this era.

It is hard to agree with this based on the results actually on the court.

Who is the athletic big man that can pass that is dominating?

Clearly, being a good shooter is a number on feature of any successful big man in the league today.

(Realistically, somebody like Durant likely would have been a C in the era that Wilt and Russell played.)

But we can start the lebron > mj talk when he gets a comparable amount of rings.

This invariably the problem we run into when anyone dare say that someone did something better than Jordan.

People process it as "omg so ur saying he's better than jordan?!?!? omgomg 6 rings"

Which is why I detest when his name is ever brought up in here. But it is inevitable.

Nobody is saying that Lebron is better than Jordan

Hopefully it's hitting home for everyone.

Horry won 7, and I believe was 7-0.

Exactly.  Let's also add in Sam Jones (10 rings) and John Havlicek (8 rings) to the discussion of GOAT since obviously greatness is based on rings.  Oh, and how could I forget the great SATCH SANDERS and his 8 rings. 

Horry won 7, and I believe was 7-0.

I thought about picking him. It was down to him, Dale Ellis, and Bruce Bowen for my SF spot. I went with Ellis because I thought he was a little better. Better shooter and I didn't have any shooters. But in retrospect, I probably should have gone with Horry because I needed someone who can get PF minutes.

This invariably the problem we run into when anyone dare say that someone did something better than Jordan.

People process it as "omg so ur saying he's better than jordan?!?!? omgomg 6 rings"

Which is why I detest when his name is ever brought up in here. But it is inevitable.

Hopefully it's hitting home for everyone.

I'm saying Lebron is better than Jordan.

...just sayin'    

I'm expanding the game and revising the rules to fix exploits and make it more difficult and realistic.

The Ultimate Arm Chair GM All-Time Team Summer ****post Game.

Section I: Roster Construction

1.1 - Arm Chair GMs must build an 8 man rotation to consist of one franchise player plus one second star plus six role players.

1.2 - ABA and International stats/awards/honors/achievements don't count. Only the players NBA accomplishments may be considered.

Section II: Qualifications for selecting players

For the Franchise Player:

2.1 - If you pick Jordan or Kareem, your team shall be considered lame.

For the Second Star:

2.2 - Must not have won MVP.

2.3 - Must not be on the 50 greatest list.

For the Role Players:

2.4 - Must have been drafted before 2014.

2.5 - Must be considered by a general standard of obviousness to have been an actual role player and not a star

2.5.1 - Further defining that standard: can not have made the HoF for their NBA playing career

2.5.2 - Must not have been selected to more than two All NBA teams (excluding All Defense and Rookie teams) or two All Star Teams

2.5.3 - Must not have been one of the two stars on a 50+ win team with a two star construction

2.5.4 - Must not have been one of the three stars on a 50+ win team with a three star construction

2.5.4.1 - If they were, then you have to successfully make the case that the team was actually either a one star or two star team (depending on whether they were the second or third best player).

2.5.5 - Win Shares may be a satisfactory standard for arguing that a player was/wasn't one of the stars of a good team, UNLESS the player passes the standard of obviousness as a role player described in 2.4.

2.5.6 - Must not have ever finished top 5 in MVP voting.

Section III: Procedures to Settle Disputes

3.1 - All disputes on player classification status may be put to a thread referendum, to which the Honorable SteveMcQueen1 Esq. may defer if a majority is established.

3.2 - However, if an unruly populist wave tries to shoehorn lunacy like Klay Thompson being defined as a role player through the referendum, Chief Justice SteveMcQueen1 shall be obliged to overrule the results.

3.3 - To appeal a ruling from the circuit court, one must petition the highest court in the land for a take on the player's status: tweet your question to Skip Bayless or Stephen A. Smith.

Edited by stevemcqueen1