Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

You only get your players during their best actual seasons rather than being forced to speculate on what they could become. So if you pick KAT, you get KAT the rookie. If you pick other guys, you get them in their prime.

KAT 7 years from now >>> Bobby Jones. But Bobby Jones >>> KAT the rookie. Prime Hakeem >>>>> Anthony Davis who is still like four years away from hitting his prime. That's the flaw in Momma's plan. That's why I went with historical players--we know exactly what their best years were like.

You only get your players during their best actual seasons rather than being forced to speculate on what they could become. So if you pick KAT, you get KAT the rookie. If you pick other guys, you get them in their prime.

KAT 7 years from now >>> Bobby Jones. But Bobby Jones >>> KAT the rookie. Prime Hakeem >>>>> Anthony Davis who is still like four years away from hitting his prime. That's the flaw in Momma's plan. That's why I went with historical players--we know exactly what their best years were like.

Momma, that means im better than you

Edited by Mr. Sinister

I had the most trouble finding high quality role players who were Cs. Every great C was a star at some point, even Mutumbo, who was the best player on that '97-'98 Atlanta team. I think even Ben Wallace was disqualified but I'm not sure about that. That's why I chose Hakeem. Best combination of offense and defense at the C position behind Kareem IMO, and I needed a scorer since Magic was a facilitator. Shaq or David Robinson would have worked too but I think Prime Hakeem was better.

Also ran into a snag when I wanted to use Rodman as my best role player. But technically he was the second best player on that '93-'94 Spurs team that won 55 games. Wanted to use Jeff Hornacek too but he was the second best player on some of those Suns teams.

I originally wanted to use LeBron or Bird as my other All Timer but I had more trouble finding a good role player at PG than SF. I wanted Mo Cheeks but some of his seasons were too good. All of the best PGs in NBA history were stars at some point too. I was left choosing between Danny Ainge, Ron Harper, Jim Paxson, Steve Kerr, etc. There are better role player small forwards out there IMO, like Ellis, Horry, Cedric Ceballos, Dan Majerle, Kyle Korver, Bruce Bowen, etc.

We could make this even more difficult (and realistic) by saying you only get one true All Timer and then your second star has to be a guy who was just a stud in his prime but isn't on the 50 greatest list, plus an addendum of recent guys who would clearly make the list if they updated it: Duncan, Dirk, Kobe, Kidd, KG, Nash, Pierce, CP3, Wade, LeBron, etc.

That would make this really hard. I think Mr. Sinister's team would probably already work because T-Mac would probably qualify.

If you were a real life GM, that's all you can realistically hope to achieve. One All Timer to lead you, give him a second legit star (who isn't likely to be an All Timer themselves) to help, and then surround them with the best mix of complimentary role players possible.

Yeah thats what I was going for. Center was def a pain in the ass. Everyone I could think of was a non qualifier. Just goes to show how having a great or even good Center could potentially transform your team into a contender back in the day. And im stuck in the eras that I wat hed basketball, cuz I don't want to pour through years of statistics... don't have that kind of time/patience.

Intitially I wanted Kevin Johnson as my pg but im pretty sure that even with Dan Majerle on those Suns squads, he and Barkley were 1-2. Was leaning towards Kidd but he's an all timer, and I wanted at least one in the frontcourt.

Klay Thompson doesn't qualify. He was the second best player on a 67 win team.

Aside from him, my frontcourt would pants yours and Michael Cooper and Alvin Robertson would shut Curry and Wall down. LeBron would do his thing, but it wouldn't be enough to beat Prime Magic and Hakeem.

Love is more like Young if he never left Tampa.

Bird is like Bradshaw. All the talent around him made him look better then he was. Bradshaw shouldn't be in the HOF either. Maybe for an announcer but not as a QB.

Correction: Larry Bird made everyone on that Celtics team look better than they were. And yes, I'm aware that includes a few HOFers and maybe the most skilled low post player ever in McHale. 

LeBron joined Wade and Bosh but he made them better than they were, not vice versa. That's how it works.

Laettner would have been bird if he played on that Celtics team.

Love would have been top 10 all time if he had played on that Celtics team.

Ummm... no.   Just no.

No he wasn't.   Draymond Green was.

• Like 1

No he wasn't.   Draymond Green was.

If anyone more closely matches the classic definition of role player, it's Green. He became a star this year, but he wasn't in '14/'15. And going by the standard of obviousness Mr Sinister proposed, Thompson was obviously Golden State's second star that year. I grant that Green was GS's second best player this season. Thompson was better last season. Not only did he make the AS game and was named All NBA 3rd team when Green didn't/wasn't, he beat Draymond in win shares too.

I just want to say that I actually agree with Dave's takes. And I'd like to further add that if Kevin Love had been Brian Wilson's nephew instead of Mike Love's, he'd have already cut more offseason records than Shaq by now.

Truth!

And Bill Walton would have been the best big man had his knees not failed him.

Aside from him, my frontcourt would pants yours and Michael Cooper and Alvin Robertson would shut Curry and Wall down. LeBron would do his thing, but it wouldn't be enough to beat Prime Magic and Hakeem.

Klay qualifies because Draymond was a better player than Klay

I disagree about them shutting Curry down. Hard to do that when Lebron and Klay are on the court or they can spread the floor with Davis athleticism and let KAT go to work inside. Hakeem would likely own his ass but he would also be pulled off to help quite a bit when lebron, curry and wall drive setting him up nicely

If anyone more closely matches the classic definition of role player, it's Green. He became a star this year, but he wasn't in '14/'15. And going by the standard of obviousness Mr Sinister proposed, Thompson was obviously Golden State's second star that year. I grant that Green was GS's second best player this season. Thompson was better last season. Not only did he make the AS game and was named All NBA 3rd team when Green didn't/wasn't, he beat Draymond in win shares too.

Draymond was 2nd in DPOY voting last season as well. He was better all around than Klay and his versatility was the one piece that really made their offense take off. Klay was a great shooter last season but he wasn't s better player than Draymond.

You said if it was debatable it qualifies anyway

Draymond finished seventh in the NBA in assists (as a power forward!), twelfth in rebounds, top 20 in steals and blocks and effective FG percentage, had 13 triple doubles, and finished second to Lebron in real plus minus.  Oh, and he was second in DPOY voting.

Klay had a great year, but nothing close to that.   And no, Klay was not close to Draymond in win shares either.

Edited by Predicto