Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

Out of curiosity, where you are pulling NBA playoff odds from the 1960s from?

Just looking at 1961, that a team that won 49 games would have been favored over the defending champions whom won 60 games just does not seem believable to me.

I should have clarified--the 1960-1961 Warriors. They got swept by the lower seeded Syracuse Nationals in the first round. They were favored in that series and Wilt just shut down.

Wilt's teams were favored in '65-'66, '66-'67, '67-'68, and '68-'69 and only won in '66-'67. In '67-'68 and '68-'69 they were heavily favored, Russell was on his last legs, and those are famous choke jobs.

Bill Russell is the most overrated athlete in the history of professional sports.

No, that would be Pete Rose.

Russell is only overrated if people think he was the GOAT or better than Chamberlain.  Russell was the greatest defensive player in NBA history and a great champion.

Edited by Predicto

Put Emmett Smith on the Lions in the 90s and put Barry on the Cowboys.

Nobody would know who Smith was, he'd be a guy that cranked out a few 1,000 yard seasons and that would be it. Meanwhile, Barry would have 30,000 career rushing yards and about 4 Super Bowls. He'd be considered one of the greatest players to ever play on a level like Jerry Rice if not higher.

Seriously, he had no passing attack, no OL, a sorry defense and bad coaching.

Smith got a HOF QB, WR, Coach, a great defense and one of the greatest OLs in history. Yet, still the only reason Smitj has more career rushing yards is because Barry retired early. So how is he better in any conceivable way?

What are you guys smoking?

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 2

Close, but Barry Sanders just edges him out for #1.

No way, I don't care how many negative yards he ran for, he gave up the all-time rushing record with productive seasons left on the table. Sure he wasn't great at blocking or for those 1-2 yard plays but whatever, in a  good organization he's taking a team to a ring with his ability to blow games open in a single juke.

Reggie Miller is definitely more overrated.

Barry Sanders IS Reggie Miller. A one-trick pony who spent his entire career as a loser. Reggie was at least mentally tough and showed up in the playoffs.

Emmitt Smith grades out into Kobe/Jordan territory. He was remarkably good and maybe the most complete RB ever.

For my money though, I'd roll with Marshall Faulk over either of them.

Barry Sanders IS Reggie Miller. A one-trick pony who spent his entire career as a loser. Reggie was at least mentally tough and showed up in the playoffs.

Emmitt Smith grades out into Kobe/Jordan territory. He was remarkably good and maybe the most complete RB ever.

For my money though, I'd roll with Marshall Faulk over either of them.

Yup it was Barry not the TERRIBLE organization he was unfortunately drafted to that just lost another superstar at age 30. Not the offensive line, not the QB, not the defense, it was the 15,000 yard back that was the reason they sucked. Got it.

Emmitt was blessed with hall of fame talent out the ass on both sides of the ball.

Bill Russell is the most overrated athlete in the history of professional sports.

we was only the most over-rated for a while... then he was supplanted by Magic and Byrd.... 

...until Magic and Byrd were supplanted by Jordan as the most over-rated player in the history of (the NBA, at least).

But it is OK... in a decade or so, after he has been retired for a bit, Lebron will happily take the mantle of most over-rated ever.   And there will be some new pup that will-never-hold-a-candle-to-thepurebrilliancethatwealloneceknewbutnowisgone