Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

Adrian WojnarowskiVerified account

‏@WojVerticalNBA

Sources: Russell Westbrook is flying to Oklahoma City on Thursday morning, planning to sign a three-year, $85M-plus contract renegotiation.

But but but big market and palm trees and he loves LA! 

I think this might finally be The One.

Who am I kidding? Next man up for the Big Markets. Wish they would just accept their individual deaths and go quietly, but that's not in their nature. Both places feel that everyone should just bend to their will at the snap of a finger.

Edited by Mr. Sinister

What does this say about Durant?  I thought one of the stories was sort of that he left because Westbrook was saying he was leaving the next year.

Does this pretty much lock in the idea that he really hated playing with Westbrook?

Smart move for all sides...

Yet this arrangement also benefits Westbrook in certain ways. While he'd be foregoing his freedom to sign elsewhere, he can stand to make more money over the short and long haul. The Thunder left open their cap space this summer, which allows them to raise his 2016-17 salary from $17.8 million to the maximum $26.5 million through a unique CBA arrangement.

In exchange for pledging one additional year to the Thunder, Westbrook can re-enter the free-agent market in 2018, after his 10th season. Under the current rules, that means Westbrook would be eligible to start his next contract at 35 percent of the salary cap. If he became a free agent next summer, he would only be eligible to sign for 30 percent. He also received a player option for 2018-19 that he can use should he get injured or if his performance dramatically falls off, though it's likely he'd decline that option.

Once Westbrook's agreement with the Thunder is finalized, he would make $26.5 million this season, $28.5 million in 2017-18 and have a player option for $30.6 million in 2018-19.

This deal would buy time for both sides as they try to plot their next move after the departure of Durant. Presti now has two years to rebuild the Thunder around Westbrook instead of one. He began that process with a draft-day deal that sent Serge Ibaka to Orlando for Victor Oladipo, Ersan Ilyasova and the rights to Domantas Sabonis. The Thunder also let Dion Waiters go in free agency and signed promising Spanish wing Alex Abrines, but have otherwise been quiet in free agency. The next big step may be to make a run at Blake Griffin or another top target in free agency next year.

Link

Good for him. Good for them. Westbrook is going to be on a mission next season. He's going to win MVP and average like 35, 9 & 9.

They need to get Blake Griffin.

Getting Griffin wouldn't cheapen Westbrook's legacy?

Not sure. It does take away a potential excuse of "didn't think Westbrook was going to come back" though.

His decision did, however, lock in that he's a bandwagon jumping beta male.

No it doesn't because he could have thought that or even been told that and then Westbrook changed his mind.

Durant didn't need that excuse to leave anyway

I think this might finally be The One.

Who am I kidding? Next man up for the Big Markets. Wish they would just accept their individual deaths and go quietly, but that's not in their nature. Both places feel that everyone should just bend to their will at the snap of a finger.

Lakers are less about big market and more about being the premier franchise since the merger. That's why they always believe they're relevant and attractive to FAs. Well it used to be anyway The weather and celebrity life that comes with it is just a bonus that most places can't match.

I honestly admit that I am surprised.   I listen to too many rumors.

What does this say about Durant?  I thought one of the stories was sort of that he left because Westbrook was saying he was leaving the next year.

Does this pretty much lock in the idea that he really hated playing with Westbrook?

Or he didn't like OKC.   Or he didn't like Billy Donovan.   Or Westbrook changed his mind.  Or Durant just liked the idea of playing with Curry and Dray and seeing if they could do something memorable.    We will probably never know for sure.

Edited by Predicto

or he saw his shoe sales decline (royalties amount to millions of dollars) and saw how small Curry was in the NBA finals again.  I imagine he started screaming excitedly at his agent soon after.  He intends to steal the show on the NBAs biggest stage.

This version of Team USA is trash.  If they win gold it's because Spain and Argentina got old, Lithuania isn't quite there, and France is soft.

What a summer for Harrison Barnes right?  Maybe an average starter at his position--at best--and a max deal and spot on the Olympic team.  Most lottery picks basically have to do time for getting drafted early, but not Barnes.  Nobody has ever been luckier to get picked where they did than Barnes.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

This version of Team USA is trash.  If they win gold it's because Spain and Argentina got old, Lithuania isn't quite there, and France is soft.

What a summer for Harrison Barnes right?  Maybe an average starter at his position--at best--and a max deal and spot on the Olympic team.  Most lottery picks basically have to do time for getting drafted early, but not Barnes.  Nobody has ever been luckier to get picked where they did than Barnes.

Damn, that's salty!

1 hour ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

If the USA doesn't win gold, I expect a paper on why it is Kevin Durant's fault. 

If they don't win gold, then this should be a black mark on the HoF resume of everyone on the team.  This is the worst international field in a decade or two.  They have no business winning a game by less than 15-20 points, much less actually losing a game.