Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

Just now, PeterMP said:

It would be interesting to know what other options they had.

They didn't have to rush to deal him.  There was no real advantage for them to doing so.  They didn't even let his market develop, and this is because they essentially let Westbrook pick his destination.

There are so many teams with a bunch of young assets piling up that are trying to make the jump to playoff relevance with their young stars, and almost all of them need a point guard.  Plus you've got the Spurs, who have a ticking clock for other reasons.

Anyway, Steven Adams will be the next one to go.  He's an ideal fit for Boston.  Maybe they can get some young assets back that are actually worth the trouble.

6 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Its worth it just to to see Beal's explode when Westbrook passes up Harden, going for glory, then proceeds to throw up a Roaring '20s brick

Hardens beard will start talking to him, "you have to do something", " no, he's my friend"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Then he just blacks out, pulls some nunchuks out of it and starts swinging wildly.

I'm already disappointed because I'll likely be asleep when it happens.

This may sound crazy, but NBA has to recognize what's going on out west and resist the temptation to just let all those marquee games start at 10.  Start the Saturday night and Sunday afternoon games ASAP. I can't be the only person that'd rather watch basketball if my favorite football team isn't playing, typically no interest in TNF or MNF anymore.

Edited by Renegade7

3 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Hi, I see you must be a new around here 

tenor.gif?itemid=10869436

I think people are sleeping on that Rockets team. They have Harden, Westbrook, and Gordon... With Tucker and Capela. That's a tough-ass starting five to play against. If we can see that 2017 Harden, I think they can do some damage. They're a dangerous team...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CrypticVillain said:

I think people are sleeping on that Rockets team. They have Harden, Westbrook, and Gordon... With Tucker and Capela. That's a tough-ass starting five to play against. If we can see that 2017 Harden, I think they can do some damage. They're a dangerous team...

Dantoni is still the coach 

He sucks 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, PeterMP said:

Maybe in a vacuum Westbrook is better than somebody like Beal, but I think Beal actually would have more demand so actually gets you more.

I think you're right.  But to me, that is a much bigger indictment of the irrationality of NBA markets than Westbrook's real value.  It shows how bad recency bias and groupthink are in NBA circles, mainly in the fan and media observers, but also with front offices as well.

I love Beal and will generally defend him, but Westbrook is so much better than him.  Beal's never made an All NBA team nor come close to winning an MVP.  Westbrook has made like 8 straight All NBA teams and won an MVP two years ago.  Even in a significant down year, Westbrook had a 5.6 VORP season.  Beal just had his best season as a pro and it was 3.7 VORPs.  5+ VORPs is a career season for the vast majority of the league.  For Westbrook, it was a crap season that tanked his Q Rating.

Westbrook is a true workhorse superstar who can get you to the postseason, if not carry you once you're there.  That is extremely valuable, as teams like Chicago, Minny, Phoenix, Sacramento, etc. should know.

Beal is a very good player who is a lot better than most of the highly touted trash perimeter players that have come into the NBA since 2012.  But he's no Westbrook.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Westbrook is a true workhorse superstar who can get you to the postseason, if not carry you once you're there.  That is extremely valuable, as teams like Chicago, Minny, Phoenix, Sacramento, etc. should know.

I'll argue the other side.

I'll even through Detroit and Miami into the list.  That's great, but if you are them does this trade actually even open a path to a championship.

Great now your a 4 seed and maybe you win a playoff round.  That's nice, but most NBA teams now are taking the attitude of they want a path to a championship, and I don't think for any of them this trade opens that up.

6 hours ago, CrypticVillain said:

The starting 5 better be dangerous because that bench is pure garbage. 

Edited by justice98
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, CrypticVillain said:

I think people are sleeping on that Rockets team. They have Harden, Westbrook, and Gordon... With Tucker and Capela. That's a tough-ass starting five to play against. If we can see that 2017 Harden, I think they can do some damage. They're a dangerous team doing the regular season before Harden pulls a playoff Harden 

Fixed it for you 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

Great now your a 4 seed and maybe you win a playoff round.  That's nice, but most NBA teams now are taking the attitude of they want a path to a championship, and I don't think for any of them this trade opens that up. 

It's kind of a crawl, walk, run method to make it from cellar-dweller to champion.  Some teams get stuck walking.  But that's better than getting stuck crawling and the failing and then starting over again, as has happened to Sacramento, Washington, Charlotte, New York, and Minnesota multiple times, and as is happening to Phoenix and Chicago now.

You've got to change culture somehow, and a guy like Westbrook is a legit culture changer.

And it's not like these bad teams who are perpetually stuck in the lottery churn hold on to their cap space and assets.  What they end up doing is spending their money on horrible contracts like ones for Joakim Noah, Nic Batum, Ian Mahinmi, Harrison Barnes, Jabari Parker, Andrew Wiggins, etc.  Westbrook at any dollar amount is infinitely more valuable to these teams than the guys they actually end up signing.

3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I'd forgotten about Grayson Allen's existence until yesterday.  What a dirty ass player.  How has he not started a brawl that's gotten his ass kicked by now?

Give it some time.  He'll **** with the wrong person someday and catch an ass-kicking.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

And it's not like these bad teams who are perpetually stuck in the lottery churn hold on to their cap space and assets.  What they end up doing is spending their money on horrible contracts like ones for Joakim Noah, Nic Batum, Ian Mahinmi, Harrison Barnes, Jabari Parker, Andrew Wiggins, etc.  Westbrook at any dollar amount is infinitely more valuable to these teams than the guys they actually end up signing.

Core argument against tanking is having those lottery picks don't matter if you don't surround them with the talent to get over the top, or even hit on those picks in the first place.  Tanking is easy, building a championship team is very hard.

1*2B0x00S3MsI_AcM_A4vaUw.jpeg

No matter how many times I'm reminded that these guys all played together on one team, I still have a hard time remembering that they did.  Unbelievable that they didn't win and it's crazy to see them all wearing the same uniform.  Last night when the trade news broke about Westbrook to Houston I forgot that they'd played together in OKC for some reason.  And for whatever reason, it seems like a long ass time ago and it really wasn't.