Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Would you trade Fred Davis to Patriots for a 3rd or 4th round pick?

Execution56

While I don't think this is as absurd as benching RG3 for the year so he is healthy or trading Morris, it can be considered in the same light IMO.

Nobody is going to trade for Fred and we aren't going to offer him up for anything that is equal value. Every part of this is unrealistic.

Exactly. We are now one of those teams in the hunt for a Super Bowl. This team doesn't need to trade vital pieces away so they can draft hopeful talent in the draft. If anything, the Redskins should be the team that now trades draft picks to fill the missing piece, because like DC9 said we are in the win now mode. Which is awesome.

If we're in "Win now" mode then we're an INCREDIBLY stupid organization.

We're in year 2 of an incredibly gifted, YOUNG, QB. We shouldn't be thinking "Win Now" we should be thinking "Sustained Winning".

If you were talking about jettisoning a young, cheap, long contracted signed guy like Alfred Morris. If you were talking about a guy who CLEARLY showed potential of being a #1 reciever and an impact maker on our offense, who also is signed long term. If you were talking about shipping away ouf star left tacke. Or god forbid the QB...then yeah, absolutely, you're severely damaging our current chances at the hope of improving the future and that's not smart.

Fred Davis is not essential to whether or not we are successful next year. He's a helpful piece but he's not Griffin, he's not Trent, he's not Morris, he's not even Garcon. And he's here on a one year deal. He's expendable in terms of us still being a viable team. We were a bum knee away from going progressing in the playoffs last year and that was without Davis throughout the most compelling parts of the season.

Is he useful? Yes. Will he be helpful? Yes. Is he going to be the one piece that is the difference between NFC Championship/Superbowl or nothing? I highly doubt it.

I'm not interested in seeing us "win now". I'm not interested in seeing us going against what most of the GOOD organizations do and mortgage our future, when we have a good young QB, for little value. The good teams, the ones that last, continually replenish their talent and restock so that when your currnet crop moves on or gets too old you have ready made replacements to come behind them.

Thankfully, this team seems to be going that direction and I'd hate to see us go back to the days of "Put together a bunch of picks and ship it out for big names (or at times marginal names). I don't want to just "win now"..I want to win for a decade plus.

We have a smart front office now, and I'd hope they'd act intelligently. Which would mean explore it, see if you can actually get good value. If you can't, then no worries, we got a very talented tight end as a one year rental and we can see what happens next year. If you can, then take the good value and run with it. But to act like Fred Davis is the holy grail that is the difference between winning and not and the very thought of possibly trading him is absurd is, in itself, absurd.

While I don't think this is as absurd as benching RG3 for the year so he is healthy or trading Morris, it can be considered in the same light IMO.

Nobody is going to trade for Fred and we aren't going to offer him up for anything that is equal value. Every part of this is unrealistic.

Just to figure out whether or not to be flabbergasted by your comment.

Are you suggesting that it's "in the same light" in terms of the unrealistic nature of it? Or "in the same light" in terms of the stupidity of such a move were it to happen?

I'm saying that it is so unrealistic, that it wouldn't even happen in Madden 11 and that makes it absurd and I'm also saying that while if he was a FA, somebody, maybe even the Pats, would pick him up, it's absurd to think that his worth of a realistic draft pick (which isn't as high as a 4rth) isn't even close to his value as a Redskin if he comes back 100%.

None of this idea makes any sense and if you think he isn't valuable to our offense, go watch some games from last year and see the difference between having him on the field and not.

BTW, last year, a second year player with less expeirence almost won the SB, so I don't understand your point.

The simple answer not just no, but HELL NO.

And there are no reasonable "but what ifs."

Billy "the video cheating" B. aint gonna offer a second for a TE. Or a 2nd and a 6th. Or probably even a 3rd. So, when you look in the realm of what is reality, would Fred Davis be worth a 4th rounder in 2014, even with his injury concerns and past drug suspention?

Absolutely not. If he recovers from the injury, you have a dynamic playmaker who knows your offense, and creates matchup problems for a defense. Also, when he was healthy, he had very good chemestry with your 2nd year franchise QB. Even if he doesn't return all the way from injury, he's going to be servicable, and knows the offense.

Why in God's name would you give that up for a 2014 4th rounder at best? Even a 3rd rounder? Because that draft pick CAN NOT help you THIS YEAR. So, what's the backup plan? You count on a rookie returning from injury and Logan? I LOVE what Logan brings to the table. But he's not Davis. And neither is a recovering rookie TE who doesn't have a reputation as somebody who can block a 6th grader. Please tell me it's because we have all the faith in the world in Niles Paul. That would be a huge joke.

The problem with the fanbase is that because the 'Skins abused the draft so much for so long, now the fanbase over-values draft picks. Personally, I love the draft, and I believe that you need to build through the draft. But, you also have to realize that a draft pick is a crap shoot. You might have the #1 or #2 overall pick, and he might flame out. See, Jamarcus Russel, Tim Couch, Ryan Leaf. a 6th round pick might be a huge contributor to multiple SBs. See, Brady, Tom and Davis, Terrell. You never know what you are getting with a draft pick. So trading a talented player, that you drafted, when you still have a need for them, for an unknown, which can't even help you THIS SEASON, is complete silly talk.

Think about it this way, folks.  You're not going to get anything higher than a 3rd rounder for him right now.  Fred plays for the Skins in 2013, has a stellar year, Skins go deep into the playoffs.  Then Fred signs a multi-year deal somewhere else.  There's a pretty good chance, depending on other free agent departures, that we'll get a pretty good compensatory draft pick out of him anyway.  Use him while you got him and let's win NOW.

Actually, now that I've properly thought it over, I think I would do it. But only if they included Tim Tebow. Now THAT would be a good trade. Then we sign JaWalrus, Chris Cooley, and trade Alfred Morris for a 7th round pick. To take his place, we sign Bobby Mitchell in a stroller.

First of all, seriously do not think that the Pats would give us anything near what we would want for Davis.  Remember, we have used the franchise tag on this player, so he is pretty important in our offensive gameplan when healthy.  I also agree that we should not trade our playmakers away on a team that could make a run into the playoffs and potentially the SB.  It is not as if we have a wealth of proven playmakers that we can afford to trade one away. 

So, it I were the Pats, I would be hiring the best law firm to represent Hernandez in his legal tribulations......and praying that Gronk recovers sooner rather than later.

It's the mindset of a loser. Or at least a fan base used to losing.

It's the idea "we always need to get better next year, we're not going to compete this year so we need to think about the future." We've got a franchise quarterback, a bunch of players coming back healthy, and all the ability in the world to make a legit run at a championship.

Unless the Pats offer a number one pick, I'd laugh in their face. Fred and Jordan Reed can be a dynamic playmaker set. Hell, if they asked for Logan I wouldn't do it for anything less than a third. Let's keep our skill positions where they can help OUR franchise quarterback.

no way they get LP either like my man says "Hang up on em"

Screw draft picks, they can't help us this year.  The only way I do this trade is if they toss in Brady.  Brady would be the best backup QB in the league, with ALL due respect to Cousins, he'd probably win that battle in camp.   ;)

I know yours is a joke, but I would much prefer Dont'a Hightower

I would turn down the trade in a HEARTBEAT, Only way I would even consider trading fred would be for a 1st round pick. He's way too valuable to us and our franchise QB, his immediate value for us outweighs the value of a future 2nd, 3rd or 4th round pick. The only way I could consider the trade would be for a 1st round pick. 

For a 3rd or 4th I wouldn't even get out of bed.  Get a young player or a 2nd on the table and I'd listen, but not a moment before, and there's no way the Pats would send a 2nd our way, and any player they would be willing to part with is probably damaged goods.

This board never fails to amuse. 

We have one of the better pass catching TE's in the league. (Health concerns accepted.). 

We've just drafted one of the better pass catching TE's coming out this past year. 

The match-up possibilities with both, plus Garcon, Hankerson, Thompson and co, with the Butler grinding it are enough to give an opposing DC nightmares. 

Yet as soon as we have that option of two potential top flight receiving TE's on the field, you want to trade one away. 

This

board

ROCKS!

Hail. 

QFT. As soon as we start to build a little bit of depth at a position, everyone wants to trade it away.

Archived