Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Execution56

Would you trade Fred Davis to Patriots for a 3rd or 4th round pick?

With Rob Gronkowski injuries (and facing the prospects of staring the season on PUP - miss first 6 weeks of season) and Aaron Hernandez legal issues and his possible arrest today, with the NE Patriots facing challenges at TE, if they came knocking on the Redskins door, would you be in favor of trading Fred Davis for a 3rd or 4th round pick?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/20/storm-clouds-gathering-around-hernandez/

I would hang up on them. 

Agreed. I think Fred is going to be a valuable part of our offense this season.

Not a fourth. Possibly a third, but I would try to wrangle a second out of them. It's doubtful they would do that though - they have something like 7 tight ends on the roster.

Off of the Patriots website:

Jake Ballard

Daniel Fells

Brandon Ford

Rob Gronkowski

Aaron Hernandez

Michael Hoomanawanui

Zac Sudfeld

Plus they have a wild card in Tebow who could line up there in a pinch.

No. 

I'd listen for a 1st or multiple mid-round picks involving at least one 2nd rounder.

But check it out Execution56... Our window is open.  We are competing for a championship now.  Sure a pick would be great for next year and Fred may or may not be on the team next year, but he is this year and we are a much more dynamic team with him.

So an offer we can't refuse aside (which we won't get from the Pats) the answer is absolutely not.

In recent years, a top flight TE has gone for around a 2nd and a 6th. I wouldn't call Davis top flight though, although his worth was shown last year when he went down. I haven't seen anybody on our roster yet, who fills the void he left last season and no draft pick can do that.

This board never fails to amuse. 

We have one of the better pass catching TE's in the league. (Health concerns accepted.). 

We've just drafted one of the better pass catching TE's coming out this past year. 

The match-up possibilities with both, plus Garcon, Hankerson, Thompson and co, with the Butler grinding it are enough to give an opposing DC nightmares. 

Yet as soon as we have that option of two potential top flight receiving TE's on the field, you want to trade one away. 

This

board

ROCKS!

Hail. 

It's the mindset of a loser. Or at least a fan base used to losing.

It's the idea "we always need to get better next year, we're not going to compete this year so we need to think about the future." We've got a franchise quarterback, a bunch of players coming back healthy, and all the ability in the world to make a legit run at a championship.

Unless the Pats offer a number one pick, I'd laugh in their face. Fred and Jordan Reed can be a dynamic playmaker set. Hell, if they asked for Logan I wouldn't do it for anything less than a third. Let's keep our skill positions where they can help OUR franchise quarterback.

Some of you guys are hilarious... I didn't say that I would want to trade Fred Davis.. It was a hypothetical question and I wanted to get the boards feed back.. It's all good!

HTTR!!!

This board never fails to amuse. 

We have one of the better pass catching TE's in the league. (Health concerns accepted.). 

We've just drafted one of the better pass catching TE's coming out this past year. 

The match-up possibilities with both, plus Garcon, Hankerson, Thompson and co, with the Butler grinding it are enough to give an opposing DC nightmares. 

Yet as soon as we have that option of two potential top flight receiving TE's on the field, you want to trade one away. 

This

board

ROCKS!

Hail. 

Everyone is a Junior GM nowadays.  I still cringe every time I see the name "Tim Hightower."  We have a great stable of RBs.  We don't need TH.  He brings nothing special to the table that we don't already have, nor did he ever show anything except in preseason.  He was crap during the regular season until the Carolina game.  Then hurt his knee in the same game.

I think you have to listen to an offer.

Even though he is an above average talent if he gets popped one more time for weed he's done.

If you could trade Trent Williams for a first round pick, would you?

If we could trade Morris for a second, would you?

What if we could get 3 1rst rounders for RG3?

Perhaps a package deal with Rak and Kerrigan for a first?

We could field an entire rookie team and have draft picks forever!!!

Not saying I'd do it, but I think given that his contract is up, he has an injury history and a drug history, there are enough question marks that you have to consider it for a 3rd plus maybe a 6th or 7th. He's pretty much boom or bust at this point, and none of us can accurately predict which way it will go.

In recent years, a top flight TE has gone for around a 2nd and a 6th. I wouldn't call Davis top flight though, although his worth was shown last year when he went down. I haven't seen anybody on our roster yet, who fills the void he left last season and no draft pick can do that.

Ok, so we get a 2nd and a 7th. Contract year coming off a major injury and we have depth at the position. Yep, I'd make that trade.

Ok, so we get a 2nd and a 7th. Contract year coming off a major injury and we have depth at the position. Yep, I'd make that trade.

Just curious if you saw the point I made about the void he left in our offense when he wasn't there and that we have no proven replacement on this team?

Despite the "OMG!!!! LOSER TALK" reactions, let's look at reality here.

This is a guy with a track record of drug issues that's 1 strike away from being gone for a year as well as coming back from an achilles injury. More important, he's an individual whose signed to a 1 year deal, meaning he could simply walk at the end of the season and we get (basically) nothing.

At the same time, we have potential depth at that position with a high round draft pick in Reed, a solid backup in Logan, and a project in Paul. Davis is an individual that, frankly, we weren't positive would even BE on the team next year and is obviously looking for a big money contract in the coming years. It's not about having a "Loser" mentality, it's about not having a "Win Now at all costs" mentality.

If we had Fred locked up for 2 years at his current contract level then I'd say that anything less than a 1st or similar would be a poor value to trade for him. In that situaiton you'd have him for a bit of time without the need to rush Reed along too much, and be able to let him walk at 29 years old if he wants to.

But with a one year contract, and obviously wanting big money next year, if you can get good value for him rather than just one year worth of production and then possibly losing him for nothing...you do it. That said, "good value" is likely something we won't actually get. I'd put it somewhere around a 2nd (recouping the pick we spent on him) and probably a conditional 4th through 6th.

Would be unlikely to do it for just a 3rd, and would laugh at a 4th (as there's a chance w could nab a 4th for him leaving in free agency next year).

Do I want to win this year? Yes. Do I want to win JUST this year? Absolutely not. Go tell the patriots future draft picks don't matter. We have a young QB in his 2nd year. I don't want to give away all our talent, but I absolutely would be fine with potentially shipping out short-term held talent to help potentially cultivate a long and sustained run of excellence.

Good thing the Pats don't know he has a history of drug issues and coming off a major ACL injury, while holding out for big money during his one year contract! Nobody tell them and maybe we can get it done and replace him with the guys who couldn't last year or an injured long range prospect.

and fwiw, I don't think Fred is looking for a major contract. I think both sides are taking a wait and see approach.

No. 

But check it out Execution56... Our window is open.  We are competing for a championship now.  Sure a pick would be great for next year and Fred may or may not be on the team next year, but he is this year and we are a much more dynamic team with him.

Exactly. We are now one of those teams in the hunt for a Super Bowl. This team doesn't need to trade vital pieces away so they can draft hopeful talent in the draft. If anything, the Redskins should be the team that now trades draft picks to fill the missing piece, because like DC9 said we are in the win now mode. Which is awesome.

Good thing the Pats don't know he has a history of drug issues and coming off a major ACL injury, while holding out for big money during his one year contract! Nobody tell them and maybe we can get it done and replace him with the guys who couldn't last year or an injured long range prospect.

Thus why I said a "good value" is not one we'd be likely to get. The "issues" relating to him are well known around the league, so it'd need to be a desperate team to be able to get the type of value to make the deal worth while.

I'd say there was an OUTSIDE chance if the Pats hadn't picked up Ballard, given their offense focuses so much currently on tight ends and they'd have one coming off significant surgey and another possibly unavailable. However, given that Gronk is still there (even with the off season surgeries) and they were high enough on Ballard to scoop him up, I don't think there's a good chance we would get good value for him.

However there's a large difference between suggesting it'd be difficult to get good value for Davis...and saying it's "loser" talk to even suggest the notion of trading him for picks.

As to "replacing him",  we had one of the best offenses in the NFL last year despite not having him for a good long portion of the season and through all of our "hot" stretch. And yeah, Reed is coming off of an injury as well...but it's not like that's not the same case with Davis so it's not exactly like we're trading a healthy player for an injured one in that scenario. So yeah, I don't think our playoff and super bowl hopes would somehow take a significant hit if we lost a guy we weren't even sure if we'd have this season, and we got along fine without last season, in exchange for something like a 2nd and 5th.