Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN.com: NSA leaker fears for democracy

isle-hawg

Didn't know where else to put this Bill Maher joke from Friday night: (paraphrase)

~Upon hearing that Edward Snowden might be staying in the airport incognito, Sarah Palin called for a full-scale invasion of Cognito.~

I had to pause the show...thought I was gonna die :lol:

Didn't know where else to put this Bill Maher joke from Friday night: (paraphrase)

~Upon hearing that Edward Snowden might be staying in the airport incognito, Sarah Palin called for a full-scale invasion of Cognito.~

I had to pause the show...thought I was gonna die :lol:

It works on so many levels.  :ols:

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/news-by-industry/et-cetera/us-must-restore-trust-after-spying-reports-germany/articleshow/20858698.cms

US 'must restore trust' after spying reports: Germany

Germany expressed shock Monday over reports of US spying on European institutions and said it had told Washington that it must restore trust in the wake of the damaging allegations.

"Europe and the United States are partners, are friends, are allies. Trust must be the basis of our cooperation and trust must be restored in this area," government spokesman Steffen Seibert told reporters.

"This is not the Cold War anymore."

Der Spiegel said its report, which detailed covert surveillance by the US National Security Agency ( NSA) on EU diplomatic missions, was based on confidential documents, some of which it had been able to consult via fugitive US leaker Edward Snowden.

https://twitter.com/AFP

BREAKING France's Hollande tells US to 'immediately stop' spying
7:07 AM

Admiring the image that the French are shocked, shocked, I tell you, that the US spys on other countries governments.

There seems to be quite a bit of outrage over this from Europe.

Honestly, I thought every country did this sort of thing.

https://twitter.com/BreakingNews

French president threatens to block EU trade negotiations with the US amid bugging scandal - @BBCBreaking

8:53 AM

https://twitter.com/JasonUkman

From frying pan to fire: It's Susan Rice's first day as national security adviser. Gets to face European furor over NSA spying claims.

9:31 AM

https://twitter.com/RamCNN

U.S. must stop any surveillance of French government communications “immediately” or France will cut off all negotiations: Pres Hollande

9:33 AM

At this rate, it seems like we can expect sanctions from the EU.

There seems to be quite a bit of outrage over this from Europe.

Honestly, I thought every country did this sort of thing.

They do.

Although I assume that most countries don't have nearly the budget for it, that we do. And, therefore, don't do it on such a wholesale scale.

And the Snowden saga just gets uh weirder, lol.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/02/world/europe/snowden-applies-for-asylum-in-russia.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0

Putin Says Snowden Must Stop Hurting U.S. to Stay in Russia

President Vladimir V. Putin said on Monday that Edward J. Snowden, the former national security staffer accused of espionage, would not receive political asylum in Russia unless he stopped publishing classified documents that hurt the interests of the United States.

At a news conference here, Mr. Putin said that since it appeared Mr. Snowden was going to continue publishing leaks, his chances of staying in Russia were slim. Mr. Putin also pushed back against efforts by the United States to persuade the Russian government to extradite Mr. Snowden, making it clear that Russia would not comply.

“Russia never gives up anyone to anybody and is not planning to,” Mr. Putin said.

Mr. Snowden applied for political asylum in Russia late on Sunday night, according to Kim Shevchenko, an official at the Russian consulate at Sheremetyevo Airport here. Mr. Shevchenko said Sarah Harrison, a WikiLeaks activist who is traveling with Mr. Snowden, hand-delivered his request to the consulate in Terminal F of the airport.

I wonder where Snowden is right now.

That seems like an unusual position. 

I would have thought that they would treat him like a defector.  Would have expected them to have a standard procedure for it. 

Maybe that's only if he gives things to Russia, but not to the press. 

I think right now he is saying;  " ...... oh sh**....... "  as he realizes that Putin's Russia really IS a place that will go to extraordinary measures to get to information that he has in his brain, if they want it.

I would not be *terribly* surprised to hear that he suddenly is declared to have committed suicide "over the stress of his continual hounding by the evil capitalist american dogs"  (while in Russian "protective custody")

well.. actually.. i WOULD be surprised.  But far less surprised than if any of the loony conspiracy theories floating through this thread about what the US-NSS might do to him actually occurred....

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/07/01/us-usa-security-snowden-putin-idUSBRE9600QP20130701

Edward Snowden threatens new U.S. leaks, applies for Russian asylum

Former U.S. spy agency contractor Edward Snowden broke his silence on Monday for the first time since fleeing to Moscow to say he remains free to make new disclosures about U.S. spying activity.

In a letter to Ecuador seen by Reuters, Snowden said the United States was illegally persecuting him for revealing its electronic surveillance program, PRISM, but made it clear he did not intend to be muzzled.

"I remain free and able to publish information that serves the public interest," he said in an undated letter in Spanish sent to Ecuadorean President Rafael Correa.

"No matter how many more days my life contains, I remain dedicated to the fight for justice in this unequal world. If any of those days ahead realize a contribution to the common good, the world will have the principles of Ecuador to thank."

Believed to be holed up in the transit area of Moscow's Sheremetyevo airport, Snowden poured scorn on the U.S. government.

"While the public has cried out support of my shining a light on this secret system of injustice, the Government of the United States of America responded with an extrajudicial man-hunt costing me my family, my freedom to travel, and my right to live peacefully without fear of illegal aggression," he wrote.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jul/02/ecuador-rafael-correa-snowden-mistake?CMP=twt_gu

Rafael Correa: we helped Snowden by mistake

Ecuador is not considering Edward Snowden's asylum request and never intended to facilitate his flight from Hong Kong, president Rafael Correa said as the whistleblower made a personal plea to Quito for his case to be heard.

Snowden was Russia's responsibility and would have to reach Ecuadorean territory before the country would consider any asylum request, the president said in an interview on Monday.

"Are we responsible for getting him to Ecuador? It's not logical. The country that has to give him a safe conduct document is Russia."

The president, speaking to the Guardian at the presidential palace in Quito, said his government did not intentionally help Snowden travel from Hong Kong to Moscow with a temporary travel pass. "It was a mistake on our part," he added.

The comments clashed with expressions of gratitude the 30-year-old fugitive issued hours later, before Correa's views had been published.

"I must express my deep respect for your principles and sincere thanks for your government's action in considering my request for political asylum," said a letter, in Spanish and attributed to Snowden.

"There are few world leaders who would risk standing for the human rights of an individual against the most powerful government on earth, and the bravery of Ecuador and its people is an example to the world."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/07/01/us-usa-security-snowden-putin-idUSBRE9600QP20130701

Edward Snowden threatens new U.S. leaks, applies for Russian asylum

Former U.S. spy agency contractor Edward Snowden broke his silence on Monday for the first time since fleeing to Moscow to say he remains free to make new disclosures about U.S. spying activity.

In a letter to Ecuador seen by Reuters, Snowden said the United States was illegally persecuting him for revealing its electronic surveillance program, PRISM, but made it clear he did not intend to be muzzled.

"I remain free and able to publish information that serves the public interest," he said in an undated letter in Spanish sent to Ecuadorean President Rafael Correa.

"No matter how many more days my life contains, I remain dedicated to the fight for justice in this unequal world. If any of those days ahead realize a contribution to the common good, the world will have the principles of Ecuador to thank."

Believed to be holed up in the transit area of Moscow's Sheremetyevo airport, Snowden poured scorn on the U.S. government.

"While the public has cried out support of my shining a light on this secret system of injustice, the Government of the United States of America responded with an extrajudicial man-hunt costing me my family, my freedom to travel, and my right to live peacefully without fear of illegal aggression," he wrote.

Does anyone else read those last couple sentances and hear Soviet-era propoganda?

This guy is a self aggrandizing attention whore. I'm really tired of hearing about him.

Let the Russians get what they need from him and dump him in Siberia. Just stop putting him in the news. Thanks in advance

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/07/edward-snowden-nsa-leak-george-w-bush-comments-93604.html

George W. Bush: Edward Snowden ‘damaged’ security

NSA leaker Edward Snowden damaged the “security of the country,” former President George W. Bush said in an interview that aired Monday.

Bush did not directly say whether he thinks Snowden can be labeled a “traitor” but said he knows the country has been hurt as a result of the leaks.

“I think he damaged the security of the country,” Bush said on CNN while visiting Africa, adding that President Barack Obama will deal with the situation.

Bush also defended the surveillance program, which began during his administration after Sept. 11, saying the programs guarantee civil liberties are protected.

“I put the program in place to protect the country and one of the certainties is civil liberties were guaranteed,” Bush said.

He went on to say there needs to be a balance between security and privacy when protecting the country. “I think there needs to be a balance, and I think as the president explained there’s a proper balance,” he said.

How in the HELL did this guy get a top secret security clearance? Oh, that's right, we outsourced that, too. :doh:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162-57591513/report-firm-that-checked-snowden-may-have-repeatedly-lied-to-govt/

By

Stephanie Condon /

CBS News/ June 28, 2013, 10:52 AM

Report: Firm that checked Snowden may have repeatedly lied to gov't

Play CBS News Video

The firm that conducted background checks on former government contractor Edward Snowden is under investigation for allegedly misleading the government, on a regular basis, about the extent of its checks, the Washington Post reports.

Patrick McFarland, the inspector general at the Office of Personnel Management, confirmed in a congressional hearing last week that the Virginia-based contractor USIS is under investigation. McFarland confirmed USIS performed a background investigation of Snowden and said "there may be some problems." with the way it was conducted. He declined to say, however, whether the current investigation was related to the company's review of Snowden's background.

Seriously, he's starting to sound like he wears a tin foil hat at night. And even though Obama is getting the heat and snowden the hate, its the private sector that's really dissapointed me on this one. GD, guys...

USIS has been doing these investigations for over 15 years but it is a horribe place to work, the investigators are underpaid and they have ridiculous timelines.

The question really is, was there anything in Snowden's past to suggest he would do this, i.e not tow the line?

Reuters has an article about discrepancies in his resume that both USIS and Booz Allen overlooked. Thats should've been enough to say "hey, lets just be on the safe side here and say NO". I think Booz Allen wanted him and USIS was more then happy to help him get hired. There's no doubt in my mind the dollar signs hide what could've been found if they actually tried.

Reuters has an article about discrepancies in his resume that both USIS and Booz Allen overlooked. Thats should've been enough to say "hey, lets just be on the safe side here and say NO". I think Booz Allen wanted him and USIS was more then happy to help him get hired. There's no doubt in my mind the dollar signs hide what could've been found if they actually tried.

It isn't nearly as sinister as that (having had contacts and associations at both companies)

BAH wants to place a guy and the gov't says yes. They probably wouldn't have hired him unless he had the clearance, which was probably issued a few years earlier when he was a govy. Private companies prefer NOT to pay the bill for clearances.

USIS people are simply overworked and pushed to meet ridiculous deadlines. Considering how we give out clearances like candy, I am not surprised this slipped

I do have to say, I am impressed by the establishment media and defenders of the President, they have made the story about Snowden and not about the illegal spying the NSA does. Bravo establishment bravo. Nixon wishes he had this complicity in 1973. 

I do have to say, I am impressed by the establishment media and defenders of the President, they have made the story about Snowden and not about the illegal spying the NSA does. Bravo establishment bravo. Nixon wishes he had this complicity in 1973.

While you do have a point there, lets be honest...Snowden's attention whoring is at the very least partially to blame for that as well. He turned the whole thing into a drama about himself and essentially took a lot of the focus off of the actual meat of what he revealed. Instead of admitting he leaked the info and shutting up to let it unfold and keep the focus on the NSA program, he started doing interviews, disappearing, reappearing, going to this country and that country, giving them info about the USA's spying on them. ostensibly in exchange for safe passage, etc etc. 

NSA leaker Edward Snowden's attempts to seek refuge outside the United States hit hurdles Tuesday, after Russian media reported he canceled his asylum bid in Russia and several European countries said such applications wouldn't be considered if they were made from abroad.

Russian news agencies Tuesday quoted President Vladimir Putin's spokesman Dmitry Peskov as saying that Snowden withdrew his request when he learned about the terms Moscow has set out. Putin said on Monday that Russia is ready to shelter Snowden as long as he stops leaking U.S. secrets.

At the same time, Putin said he had no plans to turn over Snowden to the United States.
Several of the other countries where the WikiLeaks says Snowden has applied for asylum have said he cannot apply from abroad. Officials in Germany, Norway, Austria, Poland, Finland and Switzerland all said he must make his request on their soil.

Archived