Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2014 Fantasy Football Thread

CrypticVillain

I've got a 12 team dynasty league I'm in this year with some good friends, not sure if the order has already been set but it says I'm picking 6th if that's the case. I'll have a long wait in between picks but at 6 I'm wondering who I should target, I'm thinking CJ Spiller

Drop Turner and pick up one of the Bengals RBs for sure.  Kind of your choice but in a non-PPR league BJGE will have more immediate value for Week 1.  Ben Tate could also be an upgrade of Fred Jackson, although that really depends on who stays healthy between Spiller and Foster.  You could also take a look at the Panthers RBs, although I'm not excited by either.  That backfield is always too hard to call.

Drop Turner and pick up one of the Bengals RBs for sure.  Kind of your choice but in a non-PPR league BJGE will have more immediate value for Week 1.  Ben Tate could also be an upgrade of Fred Jackson, although that really depends on who stays healthy between Spiller and Foster.  You could also take a look at the Panthers RBs, although I'm not excited by either.  That backfield is always too hard to call.

Yeah I've been stuck with that Panthers backfield before. Ugh.

I was thinking Lawfirm was a good choice, but I didn't want to make the choice too early since I have my 2 starters at RB no matter what (I can't see myself removing Richardson or Morris until their bye weeks).

dfitzo53, on 29 Jul 2013 - 08:37, said:

nonniey, on 28 Jul 2013 - 19:57, said:

dfitzo53, on 28 Jul 2013 - 19:26, said:

I think you're fine at TE, but I wouldn't call it strong. Dickson will get a bigger workload with Pitta out, but he's not as good. Obviously QB looks very good, but you paid for it on the RB front. Were there no viable RBs left in round 4 or 5? Not even someone like Lamar Miller or LeVeon Bell?

Hopefully Forte is really solid under Trestman = if so you might be fine. I think Matthews will be unspectacular but still put up some points occasionally. I think Deangelo will actually end up with more than half the carries this year, but it's such a crowded backfield that even still he's not reliable as anything more than a flex.

I also don't get why you drafted two kickers.

Thanks for the response. In round 4 Miller and Bell were available but I had no WRs believed Nelson and A Johnson were much better picks than Miller or Bell, I was targeting Sproles but he got snatched right ahead of my pick. I only took one kicker, Walsh.
Yeah sorry I had a brain fart and read "K Cousins" as Kicker - Cousins, not Kirk Cousins. I dunno how I did that as a Skins fan.

Anyway, it's about position depth. WR is quite deep this year and RB is not. Case in point - You were able to get Jordy Nelson in the 5th round, whereas all the decent RBs had dried up by that point. Granted, it's a PPR league. By the way, what positions does your league start? That's pretty important in analyzing a draft.

League starts 10 positions 1-2 QBs, 1-3 RBs, 3-4 WRs, 1-2 TEs, 1 K and 1 D. Complicated - yes?

I 'd start 2 QBs, 2 RBs, 3 WRs , 1 TE, 1 K and 1 D.

--------------

That's actually not a bad lineup. You don't really have any Skins taking anything away from each other. You get the passing yards/TDs and rushign yards/TDs with Griffin, rushing yards/TDs with Morris, and receiving yards/TDs with Davis. Plus you get to double up on Griffin to Davis connections. Nothing wrong with that.

If it's PPR then Welker and Amendola will be money in the bank for you. I haven't really seen a three slot lineup, but with those players it should work out. I wouldn't swap out Jackson for Amendola unless he gets hurt. You can drop Turner, who's available in free agency?

It's not PPR. And I actually forgot one more bench player that I have.

WR Anquan Boldin

The first page of FA has these options right now...

RB Shane Vereen

RB Giovanni Bernard

RB Benjarvus Green-Ellis

RB Bryce Brown

RB Deangelo Williams

RB Mark Ingram

RB Jonathan Stewart

RB Daryl Richardson

RB Ronnie Hillman

RB Bernard Pierce

RB Ben Tate

RB Vick Ballard

RB Isiah Pead

RB Mikel Leshoure

RB Pierre Thomas

WR Aaron Dobson

TE Brandon Myers

That said...I really want to take a flyer of Michael Crabtree who no one drafted...and is progressing well. He'll be back for the final 6-8 games, I think.

Drop turner and pick up Bernard yesterday.

So which 2nd year back do you guys like better in a PPR league, Lamar Miller or David Wilson?

I've done about a dozen mocks in the last week or so and seemingly always have to pick between the 2 at some point.

I prefer Miller, especially in a PPR.

Dolphins RBs were targeted more (25% of passes) than Giants backs (13%), and had more receptions (29% of team receptions to 15%)

The primary back also came close to doubling the Giants' primary back (10% of targets to 5%, 12% of receptions to 7%)

I think slight edge to Miller as well. Wilson still has Andre Brown to compete with and I'm sure he'll see a bunch of carries.

It sounds like Miller looks much better than Daniel Thomas so far in camp. I guess that could change, but Miller seems to be the better bet.

I've probably spent more time than necessary on who I want to get as my #3 and #4 RB in my PPR Keeper league. Since I'm starting with AP and Alfred Morris for a combined $49 of my $220 cap ... I want to maximize that value by getting the best roster possible. I keep coming back to LeSean McCoy and Chris Johnson. While Reggie Bush, Steven Jackson and Matt Forte are the more talked about guys going into this season ... I keep thinking I have to get mcCoy or Johnson based on their past.

Chris Johnson has some mileage on him, but his OL is great this year, especially inside, and the scheme better fits what he can do. He was a "miss" last year but still got some decent numbers by season's end. McCoy is hard for me to figure out. He's the top-rated RB not being kept in our league ... and he'll likely go for $50 or so ... so I would need to make quite an investment in him.

I'm thinking about getting Chris Johnson as my #3 ... hopefully for around $28 ... then getting Lamar Miller for around $12-15 ... but that isn't as "sexy" as say ... getting McCoy and Johnson ... but it's probably a better "deal" for me overall with less money invested in one guy. 

What are everyone's thoughts on CJ2K this year? Pre-season write-ups seem to be down on him ... but I did have him last year and he really had some good games, especially late.

Also, on a separate note ... I've never spent big money on a QB. Ideally, I'd like to get RGIII this year ... but have entertained the idea of going after Aaron Rodgers and Randall Cobb as my WR1 and QB ... I certainly have the funds to do so ... and would love a core of Rodgers, AP, Morris, Cobb ... plus a supporting cast of Chris Johnson, Dwayne Bowe, Pierre Garcon, Lamar Miller, etc. (which I could also afford to get). 

Anyone willing to argue for or against going big on a QB/WR combo? Since I already have two solid #1 RBs in AP and Morris via keeper ... I'm wondering if going QB/WR combo with Rodgers/Cobb is the better option over going big for someone like McCoy as my RB3?

I guess, from a financial apples to apples comparison, what would be a better "Starting Core" ... I already have $49 locked into AP and Morris off my $220 cap ... so I'm starting at $171 ... that $49 is not included in the following numbers

Scenario 1: Spend $105

QB: Aaron Rodgers ($45)

RB: Adrian Peterson (Keeper)

RB: Alfred Morris (Keeper)

WR: Randall Cobb ($32)

Flex: Chris Johnson ($28)

Scenario 2: Spend $102

QB: Robert Griffin III ($15)

WR: Randall Cobb ($32)

Flex: LeSean McCoy ($55)

Scenario 3: Spend $93

QB: Robert Griffin III ($15)

WR: AJ Green ($50)

Flex: Chris Johnson ($28)

I like Scenario 3 JMU. AJ Green is the man and Chris Johnson might bounce back this year.

I did one more mock draft before I do my real ones. I think this team aint that bad. Would have loved to get some better WR though...

QB

Griffin(4)

Tannehill (12)

RB
J.Charles(1)

C.Johnson(2)

Gore(3)

F.Jackson(11)

WR
Antonio Brown(5)

Desean Jackson(6)
Tavon Austin(7)

Kenny Britt(8)
Denarius Moore(10)

Joshua Morgan(15)

TE
Finley(9)

DEF

Redskins(13)

K

Kai Forbath(14)

MLSKINS inspired me to do one. 12 team standard scoring.

QB:

Matthew Stafford (7.10)
RG3 (9.10)

RB:

Trent Richardson (1.10)
Alfred Morris (2.03)

Frank Gore (4.03)

Chris Ivory (5.10)

DeAngelo Williams (13.10)

WR:

Dwayne Bowe (3.10)

Josh Gordon (6.03)

T.Y. Hilton (8.03)

Ryan Broyles (11.10)

DeAndre Hopkins (12.10)

TE:

Martellus Bennett (10.03)

K:

Mason Crosby (15.10)

(I'd probably change this to Kai Forbath who was also still available, but I was out of the window and got back to it just in time for my pick and had to snap pick someone.)

DEF:

Chicago (14.03)

After the first round or two of the draft it was clearly not going to reflect any real draft I do this year I don't think.  I didn't expect to see Frank Gore in the 4th round.  I probably could've waited even longer on one or both QBs, but I didn't see much else I liked.  If this were a real team I'd probably have to deal a RB for a WR upgrade, but other than that I'd feel pretty set.  The imaginary league starts 2RBs, 3WRs and no flex.

I went back in my league history and noticed a trend for the team that always wins the title ... a stud QB, a stud RB and a stud WR.

This is making me second-guess my decision to keep Alfred Morris for $20 over Dez Bryant for $20 ... so my keepers would be Adrian Peterson ($29) and Dez Bryant ($20). Ray Rice is not being kept. I could use my excess funds to go get Ray Rice, Chris Johnson and Lamar Miller at RB, while also getting Dwayne Bowe, Garcon, Amendola at WR and Gronk at TE to pair with RGIII at QB. I had completely written off Bryant as my WR to keep, but now I'm wondering if:

Ray Rice + Dez Bryant > Alfred Morris + AJ Green (or Alfred Morris + Dez Bryant)

Thoughts? Best attempts to look at that unbiased? It's a PPR so Morris has a handicap ... and a pre-season projection/ranking site I trust a lot has Morris pre-season #12 RB, Bryant pre-season #3 WR

I need trade advice. 

My arch nemesis in my FF league offered me this trade:

I give up Matt Stafford and he gives up Andrew Luck and David Wilson.

My starting QB is RGIII and Stafford is my backup. My running backs are Alfred Morris and LeSean McCoy. Other backups are Darren McFadden, Ryan Matthews and Montee Ball.

This is an eight man league.

I need trade advice. 

My arch nemesis in my FF league offered me this trade:

I give up Matt Stafford and he gives up Andrew Luck and David Wilson.

My starting QB is RGIII and Stafford is my backup. My running backs are Alfred Morris and LeSean McCoy. Other backups are Darren McFadden, Ryan Matthews and Montee Ball.

This is an eight man league.

What positions do you start?  Is this a dynasty league?  (I'm assuming so if you already have rosters like that to trade.)

So on the assumption that it's a dynasty league, I actually might consider that deal.  I think Luck's potential in the long term is greater than Stafford's, and Wilson is just beginning his career as a runningback so you could be looking at 3+ years of solid production.

If it's a redraft league I still think it's probably fine, although not quite as advantageous for you since Stafford could easily outperform Luck this year and David Wilson might not even make your starting lineups most weeks depending on how he compares to McFadden and Ball midseason. 

My thing with trades is always this - you have to assume that the other person is trying to work a deal that has at least a slight advantage in his direction.  People don't intentionally offer highly favorable trades unless they are inexperienced or desperate.  So that leads me to always want to at least consider counter-offering with a slightly sweeter deal.  Especially in dynasty, maybe he has a project WR you could ask him for in exchange for one of yours that you're not as high on.

• 2 weeks later...

As the commissioner of an ESPN keeper league, I need some quick advice on the topic of keepers.

This league has 10 teams and up until this year...we all selected one keeper from the previous season and because of this we essentially started our draft in the 2nd round.

This year, one of my team owners has decided he doesn't want to select a keeper. My question is it worth while to enforce a rule where every team has to select a keeper.

Part of me wants every team in the league to have a keeper cause I feel it keeps the draft in order, are there any cons to allowing this?

As the commissioner of an ESPN keeper league, I need some quick advice on the topic of keepers.

This league has 10 teams and up until this year...we all selected one keeper from the previous season and because of this we essentially started our draft in the 2nd round.

This year, one of my team owners has decided he doesn't want to select a keeper. My question is it worth while to enforce a rule where every team has to select a keeper.

Part of me wants every team in the league to have a keeper cause I feel it keeps the draft in order, are there any cons to allowing this?

Are there any restrictions on which players are keeper eligible or is it simply anyone from the previous year's roster?  At face value, I think it's only fair to enforce a rule where everyone has to keep 1 player.  Unless he had an absolutely horrible team last year, there has to be at least 1 player on his roster worth keeping.  Otherwise he's getting a free pick of the entire player pool while everyone else is restricted to picking from their own team.  

Are there any restrictions on which players are keeper eligible or is it simply anyone from the previous year's roster?  At face value, I think it's only fair to enforce a rule where everyone has to keep 1 player.  Unless he had an absolutely horrible team last year, there has to be at least 1 player on his roster worth keeping.  Otherwise he's getting a free pick of the entire player pool while everyone else is restricted to picking from their own team.  

There are no restrictions other than 1 player may not be kept for more than 2 years.

I don't see how not keeping a player would be an advantage (especially if it's an option to everyone). 

Just keep the same amount of draft rounds and have them pick the extra player up off of waivers. That way, it's no different if they kept a player and then dropped one of their draft picks for a waiver claim.

Doing my first auction draft this year.  Hope I don't overbid, that's my main concern. 

I did mine last year. I bid large dollars on 2 good RB's then suckered people into overbidding on other players. There will be a large amount of good players that very few people will be able to afford, especially if you nominate average players early for bidding.

Archived