Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2014 Fantasy Football Thread

CrypticVillain

I am really torn on which qb I like better this year, Cam or Brady.  What do you guys think?  I am targeting either one of these guys in my keeper league.  I really like Cam but Brady is Brady even if he doesn't have anyone to throw to.

I like Cam. I know Brady has played well with crap WRs before, but that was like 6 years ago now. He's older and I see the Pats focusing a little more on the run. Brady isn't a bad fantasy choice, but I woud personally rather have Cam.

I like Cam. I know Brady has played well with crap WRs before, but that was like 6 years ago now. He's older and I see the Pats focusing a little more on the run. Brady isn't a bad fantasy choice, but I woud personally rather have Cam.

It's probably a coin flip kind of thing. Everyone keeps saying Brady has crap WRs. Look at Cam's. Outside of Smith, they have no one. LaFell isn't a #2 WR. He hasnt proven anything. Gettis may even be their 2nd best WR. He has garbage TEs. Their running game is always inconsistent. Also, look at the teams in Brady's division, compared to Cams. Night and day. And Tolbert should continue to take goal line touches from Cam.

So .5 PPR league ... I've already got Adrian Peterson and Alfred Morris. Been toiling with these today. My idea is this: If McCoy ends up being $42 or less, I go go him as my RB3. Otherwise, I play with a number of scenarios.

Assuming that my roster is constant in these starting spots and the same exact bench...

QB: RGIII

RB: Adrian Peterson

RB: Alfred Morris

TE: Jermichael Finley

Bench: Eddie Lacy (RB), TY Hilton (WR), Justin Blackmon (WR), Jordan Cameron (TE), Andy Dalton (QB)

For the same price, I could have any of these 4 options round out my 2 WR and 2 Flex spots.

1. LeSean McCoy (FLEX), Reggie Bush (FLEX), Dez Bryant (WR), Randall Cobb (WR)

2. Matt Forte (FLEX), Chris Johnson (FLEX), Dez Bryant (WR), Randall Cobb (WR)

3. Matt Forte (FLEX), LeSean McCoy (FLEX), Dez Bryant (WR), Torrey Smith or Pierre Garcon (WR)

4. Matt Forte (FLEX), Reggie Bush (FLEX), AJ Green (WR), Dez Bryant (WR)

1-4 which is best? Put homerism aside with the Garcon team. That WR spot can't exceed $20 since I'm spending big on McCoy/Forte/Dez ... have a feeling Garcon will go for more, so think more realistically, Torrey Smith there.

I'm taking #4 with Forte, Bush, Green, & Bryant.  I think #3's RBs are better with Forte & McCoy; however, with #4 you'll have to very solid RBs in your flex position and then 2 elite WRs in Green & Bryant, which you won't get with #3.  Smith & Garcon aren't as consistent as I would like them to be to put them in WR1 category yet.

I just sent this email out to my league upon a request. It's our 2nd year in this format, and the first official year of doing keepers ... each team gets 2 keepers. The values of players are their previous year's draft price. So if you spend between $20 and $45 ... you pay that price for the player. If less than $20 or a WW acquisition, you pay $20 to keep ... and if more than $45, it rounds down to $45. A few league members have more than 2 keeper options, while others have 0 or just 1. So this is my email, I apologize for the length, but would appreciate feedback if anyone has done something similar and had success/issues with it, or just general thoughts on this for an auction league.

"All,

A possible wrinkle to our keeper format has been proposed. It needs immediate voting, since we have a keeper deadline of Thursday, August 29th (8 days!) and we need time to have this in place! Please respond immediately. I think we would need a majority approval of owners, plus no major objections for this to take place.

TRADING KEEPERS. First, any trade would have to be approved by league majority via email (6 votes). 

Players can be traded for cap room. The player keeper value itself would be what it currently stands at. For example, Kyle, who only has one person worth keeping, may want to try and acquire a running back prior to the draft. He would see that Frazier has 3 keeper options. He could offer Frazier $10 in cap space for Marshawn Lynch. Lynch costs $27 to keep ... so Kyle would pay Frazier $10 ... so Frazier would get $10 added to his cap, with $10 removed from Kyle's. Lynch is then on Kyle's roster, and it would cost him $27 to keep him. So in the end, Kyle pays $37 off his cap for Lynch, Frazier gains $10 and keeps someone else.

Brian doesn't have anyone worth keeping, but he might want Dez Bryant from Alex. Alex isn't keeping Dez Bryant, but his keeper value is just $20. So Brian might decide he is willing to pay Alex $15 to acquire Dez Bryant. Brian would then pay the $20 keeper value for Dez. So Brian keeps Dez for $35 (still a value), while Alex adds $15 to his cap. Cam already has three players worth keeping ... but he might decide that he is willing to pay $40 to keep Dez over any other options. He might get in a bidding war with Brian over Dez. Or Cam might decide he's perfectly fine as things stand. This is where things can get intense and interesting. 

Cam has three keepers, the third being Aaron Rodgers. Rodgers' keeper value is $45. Someone might decide they'd rather have Rodgers than someone they are keeping. They might offer Cam $5 for Rodgers, then pay the $45 keeper fee. Cam gains $5 on his cap, and the person offering the trade can keep Rodgers for $50.

I know this is a pretty monumental shift in what we have agreed upon, so that's why I am requiring a majority approval plus no major objections. Some people have more than 2 keepers, and others have only 1 or 0 keeper options. This would allow for some true GM maneuvering to allow people to barter for players prior to the draft. It would also require individual negotiations among owners. Once a trade is agreed upon, the league will be contacted via email for majority approval.

Thoughts? A simple yes or no is all I need ... any major objections or approvals, please give your thoughts if you feel like expressing them."

Alrighty..so the work draft is tonight, standard league with standard scoring (yahoo) and as I have said before I have the 3rd pick..assuming that AP goes #1 or #2, I'm expecting to take Doug Martin at #3.

That said, I did a mock last night with the same pick and Martin was taken at #2. I took Charles at #3 passing up Foster/Spiller/etc. 

Is Charles the right choice in that situation (just in case it happens tonight)? I took Graham at #22 in the mock also...what about that pick? 

Alrighty..so the work draft is tonight, standard league with standard scoring (yahoo) and as I have said before I have the 3rd pick..assuming that AP goes #1 or #2, I'm expecting to take Doug Martin at #3.

That said, I did a mock last night with the same pick and Martin was taken at #2. I took Charles at #3 passing up Foster/Spiller/etc. 

Is Charles the right choice in that situation (just in case it happens tonight)? I took Graham at #22 in the mock also...what about that pick? 

I think Charles is a great pick. As is Spiller. I would even consider McCoy (I know, crazy). 3rd pick isn't a bad spot since you get your pick of anyone after Martin/AP ... but this year I feel like I'd rather be picking 5th or 6th and let the people ahead of me make the decision for me ... then I'm better positioned in round 2.

I think getting Graham is a decent deal. If you can get Charles at 3, Graham at 22 ... you do risk being thin at RB/WR. But can't disagree with those picks.

I never ran a keeper league before, but it seems legit to me. And as long as everybody understands the rules and the votes are in, then it is legit.

Thanks! Yeah, I think the way I see it is people who drafted a quality team can benefit despite not being able to keep a 3rd player. If limited to 1 transaction per team it can be controlled pretty easily. But it gives teams who haven't drafted well a shot at 1 player from another team that may not be kept before they go back into the pool for everyone to bid.

Had my draft Saturday, round in parenthesis (I had a low draft slot, so all the stud RBs were drafted before my first pick):

QB-Drew Brees (1)

RB-Chris Johnson (2)

WR-Julio Jones (3)

WR-Vincent Jackson (7)

TE-Tony Gonzales (5)

Flex(RB/WR/TE)-Reggie Bush (4)

DST-49ers (8)

K-Kai Forbath (16)

Bench:

Andy Dalton (13)

Govani Bernard (14)

Ryan Mathews (10)

Anquan Bolden (Add - our league has 2 injury slots)

Owen Daniels (11)

DeAndre Hopkins (15)

Patriots (12)

Eddie Lacy (6)

Josh Gordon (9) - stashed in injury slot

(empty injury slot to be filled)

Thoughts?

Had my draft Saturday, round in parenthesis (I had a low draft slot, so all the stud RBs were drafted before my first pick):

QB-Drew Brees (1)

RB-Chris Johnson (2)

WR-Julio Jones (3)

WR-Vincent Jackson (7)

TE-Tony Gonzales (5)

DST-49ers (8)

K-Kai Forbath (16)

Bench:

Andy Dalton (13)

Govani Bernard (14)

Ryan Mathews (10)

Owen Daniels (11)

DeAndre Hopkins (15)

Patriots (12)

Eddie Lacy (6)

Thoughts?

I'm a big proponent of the "wait on QB" strategy and have been for years, so understand that I'm looking at your draft through that lens.  You may disagree.

- Even in a 12-team league there are RBs I like well enough to take at the end of the first round over any QB out there.  A 14-team or larger league is different.

- Your starting talent at WR/RB is fine, especially since your league starts so few positions.  However, you could've been using your picks to stockpile even more of it.  You don't have a whole lot of depth unless your lottery tickets (Hopkins and Gordon) pan out.  I'm high on both of them, but they're not guarantees.

- As noted above you went too early on QB for my taste.

- You went WAY too early on defense and WAY WAY too early on a backup defense.  It's not necessary to even draft a backup defense, let alone do so when there are good sleepers out there to take a chance on.

- Getting Ryan Mathews and Gio Bernard where you did were GREAT picks.  They never should've lasted that long, Bernard especially.

How big is the league?  How much experience do the other people in the league have?

I'm a big proponent of the "wait on QB" strategy and have been for years, so understand that I'm looking at your draft through that lens.  You may disagree.

- Even in a 12-team league there are RBs I like well enough to take at the end of the first round over any QB out there.  A 14-team or larger league is different.

- Your starting talent at WR/RB is fine, especially since your league starts so few positions.  However, you could've been using your picks to stockpile even more of it.  You don't have a whole lot of depth unless your lottery tickets (Hopkins and Gordon) pan out.  I'm high on both of them, but they're not guarantees.

- As noted above you went too early on QB for my taste.

- You went WAY too early on defense and WAY WAY too early on a backup defense.  It's not necessary to even draft a backup defense, let alone do so when there are good sleepers out there to take a chance on.

- Getting Ryan Mathews and Gio Bernard where you did were GREAT picks.  They never should've lasted that long, Bernard especially.

How big is the league?  How much experience do the other people in the league have?

Not going to disagree with your points, I know it wasn't a great draft. But here is the background on our league and why QBs tend to go high: It is a 12 team league, and all but 2 of us have been in the league for a decade.  Our league is unique because defense counts more than in most leagues (a shutout with no turnovers gets you 40 pts); sacks are worth 2 pts, TOs are worth 3 pts, DTD are worth 6 pts.  We transitioned to being a QB/RB heavy league about 5 years ago (over my objections). For QB, 10 yds is 1 pt, TD is 6 pts, with bonuses awarded at 300 (+1), 350 (+3), 400 (+10), and 450 (+20) yds. For a RB, 5 RuYds is 1 pt, TD is 6 pts, 7 ReYds is 1 pt, with bonuses awarded at 100 yds (+3), 150 yds (+5), and 200 yds (+10). For a WR, y yds is 1 pt, a TD is 6 pts, with bonuses awarded at 100 yds (+3), 150 yds (+5), and 200 yds (+10).

Normally I devote quite a bit of time to this league (entry is $50, an add/drop is $2.50/$2.50, trade is $2.50 on each side so the kitty ends up north of $1200 for the season), but this season I printed off rankings form the website I use about 30 min before the draft because we are in the middle of selling our house, moving into a temp apt, and building a new house. Fantasy slipped a bit down the priority list this year.

Interesting, I go Charles, McCoy, Richardson, Lynch.

They're all playing on teams that are going to feed them the ball, so you really can't go wrong.  I like the upside of the first three to add a significant number of receptions to pad their rushing stats.  Lynch doesn't really have that.

I think 50+ catches is almost guaranteed for Charles, possible for McCoy and Richardson and unlikely for Lynch.

Interesting, I go Charles, McCoy, Richardson, Lynch.

They're all playing on teams that are going to feed them the ball, so you really can't go wrong.  I like the upside of the first three to add a significant number of receptions to pad their rushing stats.  Lynch doesn't really have that.

I think 50+ catches is almost guaranteed for Charles, possible for McCoy and Richardson and unlikely for Lynch.

Can't argue there. I don't think there's a wrong order with those 4. I think Charles is probably the best of the 4, but could talk me into anyone else after that.

People are sleeping on a couple rooks ... Giovanni Bernard and Eddie Lacy. Lacy will have an immediate impact, but if you're in a keeper league, I would strongly consider drafting both and stashing Bernard on the bench until he starts int he 2nd half of the season.

Definitely like Lacy. Was able to get him in the 9th round in my draft last Saturday. Could be a big steal.

QB-Drew Brees (1)

RB-Chris Johnson (2)

WR-Julio Jones (3)

WR-Vincent Jackson (7)

TE-Tony Gonzales (5)

DST-49ers (8)

K-Kai Forbath (16)

Bench:

Andy Dalton (13)

Govani Bernard (14)

Ryan Mathews (10)

Owen Daniels (11)

DeAndre Hopkins (15)

Patriots (12)

Eddie Lacy (6)

Thoughts?

I do like your team. I just wish you went RB, RB in the first two rounds. But I love that Eddie Lacy pick.

Here is my roster from a draft I had last night...

QB Luck

WR Garcon

WR Wayne

RB Spiller

RB Johnson

TE Graham

RB Eddie Lacy

RB Giovani Benard

WR Mike Wallace

WR Mike Williams

RB Chris Ivory

TE Kyle Rudolph

WR Hankerson

K  Kobra Kai

DEFSkins

My wide receiver situation looks awful for next season after Danario Alexander's injury

Demaryius Thomas

DeSean Jackson

Torrie Smith

Kenny Britt

I guess I'm just not sold on Torrie Smith. Don't know why I drafted him.

That's not a bad group at all. Smith seems like a breakout candidate and if Britt is healthy, could be a steal at WR4.

So with the 3rd pick in the first round..this is what I did last night in my work league (with one person trying to sabotage the whole thing and make stupid picks)...AP and Muscle Ham went 1&2.

My picks and the draft pick # they were taking at.

RB Jamal Charles (3)

TE Jimmy Graham (22)

QB Drew Brees (27)

WR Reggie Wayne (46)

WR Pierre Garcon (51)

RB Giovanni Bernard (70)

WR Stevie Johnson (75)

WR Mike Wallace (94)

WR Tavon Austin (99)

RB Vick Ballard (118)

TE Jordan Cameron (123)

WR Michael Crabtree (142)

K Kai Forbath (147)

Def Washington (166)

The starting positions are QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, RB/WR/T flex, K, D

Standard Yahoo scoring...

Outside of the Crabtree pick, I don't think I blew my picks too much. I'm definitely light on RB especially if Bernard doesn't produce for the Bengals. I'm hoping that Bradshaw continues his fragile ways and that the Colts use Ballard a lot like they did last year. 

If I were to drop Crabtree (who I thought was going to be back after week 6 or 7 and now looks like it might be 10-12)...I could pick up a RB off the waiver wire. Here is who's available (I think its mostly crap)...although even with a timeshare Thomas in Miami seems like a sensible swap.

Michael Turner (is he done? how come no team has signed him???)

Mikel Leshore

Willis McGahee

Joique Bell

Felix Jones

Knowshon Moreno

Mike Tolbert

Jonathan Dwyer

Isaac Redman

LaRod Stephens-Rowling

Daniel Thomas

Jackie Battle

Ronnie Brown