Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2014 Fantasy Football Thread

CrypticVillain

I only read the thread title---is this OT? 

I dunno Jumbo. She might not be Cheerleader1 material. I'd select her in the late 5th/early 6th.

I may not be aging as cooperatively as is ideal. B)

I'm showing her my #1 card, and standing firmly behind it. ^_^ 

I'll let you younger bucks field the patience of waiting for better.  :P

I dunno Jumbo. She might not be Cheerleader1 material. I'd select her in the late 5th/early 6th.

I may not be aging as cooperatively as is ideal. B)

I'm showing her my #1 card, and standing firmly behind it. ^_^

I'll let you younger bucks field the patience of waiting for better.  :P

She is top tier worthy in my opinion. Not really sure if I will pass on her if I had the opportunity to drill her...

Oh my bad, I meant draft her. Dang on auto-correct. ;)

BS, if somebody is going to be dumb enough to give me RG3 for Rodgers, I am doing it. lol

Well I guess, homerism aside ... I would have to take the Charles deal over keeping Morris. But here are the two scenarios:

Scenario 1:

-Keep RGIII for $20 ... trade him and Fred Davis ($1 to draft him probably) for Jamaal Charles.

-Keep Adrian Peterson for $29.

-Start season with Adrian Peterson and Jamaal Charles as my RBs with just $49 docked from my fantasy team

-Pay $45-50 for Alfred Morris as my #3 RB

-Have no shot at getting RG3

Scenario 2:

-Keep Alfred Morris for $20

-Keep Adrian Peterson for $29

-Pay $55-60 for Jamaal Charles as my #3 RB

-Pay $25-30 for RGIII as my QB

The homer in me says keep Morris and go hard after RGIII again. The fantasy football player in me says do whatever I can to get Charles/AP on my team ... which can happen in either scenario ... but it's a little cheaper for me to do so in scenario 1 since Morris can be re-purchased for cheaper ... I just never know in a fantasy league with half the teams being Redskins fans

Also, per my homerism argument above: I think people are forgetting that our schedule is much tougher. Plus the other 31 teams around the league have nearly a full season worth of film on our young studs. They could still put up as good of numbers as last year, but history has shown its not likely, Cam Newton is probably the exception to the rule. He had an insane rookie season and nearly equaled his numbers the next season (less wins though).

Also, per my homerism argument above: I think people are forgetting that our schedule is much tougher. Plus the other 31 teams around the league have nearly a full season worth of film on our young studs. They could still put up as good of numbers as last year, but history has shown its not likely, Cam Newton is probably the exception to the rule. He had an insane rookie season and nearly equaled his numbers the next season (less wins though).

While our schedule is tougher, we do go up against some pretty crappy defenses. (GB, DET, PHI 2x, Oak, SD, and maybe Min) That is at least 7 games where our offense could put up big numbers.

With that being said, I aint breaking my neck to get RG3 this year. If I have the chance, fine, if I don't what evs....

JMU, I like the first option.

I can't help but notice all the homerism in this thread. Rule #1 in FF is you can't pick/play with your heart. I eat guys like that for lunch in fantasy FF.

Not going to get into a lot of specifics, but I'll hit on one example. Did I read right? Someone offered a guy Aaron Rodgers straight up for RG3 and he passed? Are you serious? You passed on arguably the best fantasy QB for one that hasn't proven he can stay healthy? And as great of potential that RG3 has, he's coming off a knee injury. And I know someone will bring up Adrian Peterson. I get that. But I would have still gone with Rodgers.

Edit: that picture is in no way off topic.

I was the Champ last year with a hurt RG3. Beat the guy with Godgers to do it. Beat the guy that had Manning, Alfred Morris, and Muscle Hamster the previous round. My wideouts were sick, and I got decent production out of my running backs. Like I said, I win my way, and my way includes RG3. It's electric when he scores. It's all about having fun. We play for money, but not much so as to keep it real friendly like ($30 entry fee).

It's Fantasy Football, not football fantasy...

Well **** ... the guy wanted to do scenario one ... but as soon as he started actually researching (he admittedly hadn't done much this year) he decided he wanted to keep Charles and Lynch ... so no trade for me ... and no chance at Charles. I still like my chances with Morris/AP, but I am going to have to target someone like Steven Jackson/Stevan Ridley/Reggie Bush as my #3 now since the top 12 backs are likely to be kept. 

The flip side of that is that the WRs will be there ... back to the drawing board.

I can't help but notice all the homerism in this thread. Rule #1 in FF is you can't pick/play with your heart. I eat guys like that for lunch in fantasy FF.

Not going to get into a lot of specifics, but I'll hit on one example. Did I read right? Someone offered a guy Aaron Rodgers straight up for RG3 and he passed? Are you serious? You passed on arguably the best fantasy QB for one that hasn't proven he can stay healthy? And as great of potential that RG3 has, he's coming off a knee injury. And I know someone will bring up Adrian Peterson. I get that. But I would have still gone with Rodgers.

Edit: that picture is in no way off topic.

I was the Champ last year with a hurt RG3. Beat the guy with Godgers to do it. Beat the guy that had Manning, Alfred Morris, and Muscle Hamster the previous round. My wideouts were sick, and I got decent production out of my running backs. Like I said, I win my way, and my way includes RG3. It's electric when he scores. It's all about having fun. We play for money, but not much so as to keep it real friendly like ($30 entry fee).

It's Fantasy Football, not football fantasy...
Waakka, you winning with RG3 last year over someone with Rodgers is irrelevant. It just means that your overall team was better than others in your league, or you played your cards better from week to week. That doesn't take away from my point. Generally, if you play FF with a homeristic attitude, you're going to get beat. Another example would be drafting Fred Davis over Jason Witten, because you hate Dallas, etc.

Anyway, don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining that people do this stuff. It just pads my wallet.

Well **** ... the guy wanted to do scenario one ... but as soon as he started actually researching (he admittedly hadn't done much this year) he decided he wanted to keep Charles and Lynch ... so no trade for me ... and no chance at Charles. I still like my chances with Morris/AP, but I am going to have to target someone like Steven Jackson/Stevan Ridley/Reggie Bush as my #3 now since the top 12 backs are likely to be kept.

The flip side of that is that the WRs will be there ... back to the drawing board.

All 3 of those RBs you mention would be pretty sweet #3 RBs. They all should see a lot of scoring opportunities. And they all should put up decent rushing totals. Bush should get you nice receiving numbers as well, if utilized properly.

I think Charles is being heavily overvalued right now and it shows how thin starting RB corp is in FF. Reid hates RBs. Charles is a 1st rounder, but there are other RBs who will likely be close to him in production that you don't have to bend over backwards to get.

Assuming PPR, target Sproles later on, or Law Firm, or even CJ2K who started looking good again in the 2nd half of last season. There aren't a lot of solid RB1 and 2 options, but there are a lot of RB3 options that can be had in the round 6-10 range IMO.

The reason I am boosting up Charles so much is because with no QB, he still ran for 1500 yards. You add on the fact that Andy Reid has a pretty decent track records when it comes to producing some solid running backs and I think Charles will be a hit.

Like I said earlier, he and Foster are the top two running backs in my opinion. Both will not only run the ball well, but they are going to be catching the ball a lot too. And the odds are that AP won't be as hot as he was last year.

While our schedule is tougher, we do go up against some pretty crappy defenses. (GB, DET, PHI 2x, Oak, SD, and maybe Min) That is at least 7 games where our offense could put up big numbers.

With that being said, I aint breaking my neck to get RG3 this year. If I have the chance, fine, if I don't what evs....

Good point on the schedule and agree about RG3. I am keeping Peterson (2nd round) and Morris (counts as a 10th) over RG3 (5th) because RBs are a rare commodity and if I miss on RG3, who likely goes in the 4th round, I'll still have Wilson, Luck, Eli, possibly Ryan, and others still available. QB is VERY deep.

The reason I am boosting up Charles so much is because with no QB, he still ran for 1500 yards. You add on the fact that Andy Reid has a pretty decent track records when it comes to producing some solid running backs and I think Charles will be a hit.

Like I said earlier, he and Foster are the top two running backs in my opinion. Both will not only run the ball well, but they are going to be catching the ball a lot too. And the odds are that AP won't be as hot as he was last year.

Odds are Peterson will continue in beast mode for a few more seasons. Elite RBs put up several good seasons in a row typically and he is the #1 RB in football hands down. 

All I'm saying with Reid is he likes taking the ball out of the RBs hands too often. That and with Charles you don;t have to give up the farm for him when you'll have other good backs available right after him. If that is not the case and you really really need a solid #1, then give up more for him, but otherwise no.

Good point on the schedule and agree about RG3. I am keeping Peterson (2nd round) and Morris (counts as a 10th) over RG3 (5th) because RBs are a rare commodity and if I miss on RG3, who likely goes in the 4th round, I'll still have Wilson, Luck, Eli, possibly Ryan, and others still available. QB is VERY deep.

>The reason I am boosting up Charles so much is because with no QB, he still ran for 1500 yards. You add on the fact that Andy Reid has a pretty decent track records when it comes to producing some solid running backs and I think Charles will be a hit.

Odds are Peterson will continue in beast mode for a few more seasons. Elite RBs put up several good seasons in a row typically and he is the #1 RB in football hands down. 

All I'm saying with Reid is he likes taking the ball out of the RBs hands too often. That and with Charles you don;t have to give up the farm for him when you'll have other good backs available right after him. If that is not the case and you really really need a solid #1, then give up more for him, but otherwise no.

I agree Peterson will still be beast, but I doubt if he combines for more than a total of 1800 yards for the rest of his career.  Last year he had 2300.

Oh, I forgot to mention this too, the Chiefs have an easier schedule than the Vikings.

The Vikings have to play Atlanta, San Frans, Washington, Bears 2x, Giants, Ravens, Bengals, and Steelers.

While the only tough D that KC has to play will be Texans, Washington, Giants, and maybe Denver.

My "Tiers" for Fantasy RBs:

Tier 1 (4): Adrian Peterson, Arian Foster, Doug Martin, Jamaal Charles

Tier 2 (7): Marshawn Lynch, Lesean McCoy, Matt Forte, Alfred Morris, CJ Spiller, Ray Rice, Trent Richardson

Tier 3 (5): Steven Jackson, Stevan Ridley, Reggie Bush, Chris Johnson, Maurice Jones-Drew

Tier 4 (8): Montee Ball, Frank Gore, Darren McFadden, Le'Veon Bell, Demarco Murray, Darren Sproles, David Wilson, Lamar Miller

Tier 5: The rest.

That means, at least going by how I would build my team ... that you have just 16 RBs of which you should try to get at least two, if not three. If you can get two guys from tiers 1-3, and another two from tier 4, you should be okay. But it just goes to show that there aren't that many guarantees this year in fantasy at the RB position. After the first 12-16 there is a drop off, where you come across guys with huge injury concerns, rookies, or journeymen that you can't rely on to have a big season

I love Charles, but no way I have him ahead of Peterson. Maybe in another year though. You know what you're getting out of Peterson. Plus, Charles will be in a new system. For that reason alone, I think people are maybe going a tad overboard with Charles.

^^ I would probably have Lynch in tier one, instead of Martin. Haven't seen enough of Martin to put him higher.

Remember how we used to call Campbell "Captain Checkdown" well Josh Freeman is "Captain throw it to VIncent Jackson deep or checkdown to Doug Martin"...

Not every name has to roll off the tongue lol

I am about to start doing FF Rankings in tiers...

Tiers are definitely the way to go for rankings. Helps you judge who to pick a little better.

If I really had the time, I would look into setting up my own VBD chart, but after reading about it, seems time consuming.

But ML, I think your RB tiers are spot on (don't think you left out a top guy like your QB tiers lol).

Well I guess, homerism aside ... I would have to take the Charles deal over keeping Morris. But here are the two scenarios:

Scenario 1:

-Keep RGIII for $20 ... trade him and Fred Davis ($1 to draft him probably) for Jamaal Charles.

-Keep Adrian Peterson for $29.

-Start season with Adrian Peterson and Jamaal Charles as my RBs with just $49 docked from my fantasy team

-Pay $45-50 for Alfred Morris as my #3 RB

-Have no shot at getting RG3

Scenario 2:

-Keep Alfred Morris for $20

-Keep Adrian Peterson for $29

-Pay $55-60 for Jamaal Charles as my #3 RB

-Pay $25-30 for RGIII as my QB

The homer in me says keep Morris and go hard after RGIII again. The fantasy football player in me says do whatever I can to get Charles/AP on my team ... which can happen in either scenario ... but it's a little cheaper for me to do so in scenario 1 since Morris can be re-purchased for cheaper ... I just never know in a fantasy league with half the teams being Redskins fans

Honestly, I would not rely on Charles...AP is your NUMBER ONE concern and will be the backbone to your team.  Look to get a solid QB (I REALLY like Kapernick for the value) if you can get RG3 for cheap, then do it...but I wouldn't pay top 4 QB money for him...  Morris is fine for a #2 RB, just make sure to snag another clear starter RB as a backup, just in case shanny plays his games.  Let someone else overbid for RG3...

just got the invite for this year's league.  the commisioner of the league attached a powerpoint slideshow of me holding last year's trophy and a $900 check  :)

i have nothing else to say right now, just wanted to boast.  ;)

i'm telling you folks man...screw Peyton, screw Brady, screw Rodgers....go for Breeze if you can.  I had several games last year where Drew Brees LITERALLY almost outscored my opponent's entire team by himself.  all that man does down there in the dome is throw touchdowns.

just got the invite for this year's league.  the commisioner of the league attached a powerpoint slideshow of me holding last year's trophy and a $900 check  :)

i have nothing else to say right now, just wanted to boast.  ;)

i'm telling you folks man...screw Peyton, screw Brady, screw Rodgers....go for Breeze if you can.  I had several games last year where Drew Brees LITERALLY almost outscored my opponent's entire team by himself.  all that man does down there in the dome is throw touchdowns.

Humm...I agree with you on Brees on all QBs you mention, except I would take Rodgers over him.

My "Tiers" for Fantasy RBs:

Tier 1 (4): Adrian Peterson, Arian Foster, Doug Martin, Jamaal Charles

Tier 2 (7): Marshawn Lynch, Lesean McCoy, Matt Forte, Alfred Morris, CJ Spiller, Ray Rice, Trent Richardson

Tier 3 (5): Steven Jackson, Stevan Ridley, Reggie Bush, Chris Johnson, Maurice Jones-Drew

Tier 4 (8): Montee Ball, Frank Gore, Darren McFadden, Le'Veon Bell, Demarco Murray, Darren Sproles, David Wilson, Lamar Miller

Tier 5: The rest.

That means, at least going by how I would build my team ... that you have just 16 RBs of which you should try to get at least two, if not three. If you can get two guys from tiers 1-3, and another two from tier 4, you should be okay. But it just goes to show that there aren't that many guarantees this year in fantasy at the RB position. After the first 12-16 there is a drop off, where you come across guys with huge injury concerns, rookies, or journeymen that you can't rely on to have a big season

Assuming a 10-team league, there will be at least 30 runningbacks that have to come off the board.  If you get 4 out of your top 24 you're drafting with people of very questionable skill.

Assuming a 10-team league, there will be at least 30 running backs that have to come off the board.  If you get 4 out of your top 24 you're drafting with people of very questionable skill.

Good point. There are certainly running backs below Tier 4 that are worthy of drafting and even starting ... I was just assessing the group of guys that I felt were sure-fire starting caliber RBs. I guess stating you should take 4 is a stretch ... but in an auction league you can certainly set your priorities to load up on RBs ... so it's not out of the question to get 4 of the top 24 ... you just might have a different strategy than the others. 

My team as it stands now with my two keepers has a Tier 1 (AP) and a Tier 2 (Morris). The rest of Tiers 1 & 2 are being kept ... but most of Tier 3 and 4 will be available ... so I plan to get at least one of the Tier 3 backs and one if not two of the Tier 4 backs.

Archived