Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CSNWashington.com: Skins get used to new special teams coach Keith Burns (Bang happy dance thread)

SWFLSkins

Found in BBN posted by Hap, I think this is an area worth watching. Crawford alone could benefit from the addition and this will certainly offset a loss of Alexander. The Redskins have depth and an infusion of youth and I think this could be the other area where the team grows. While most focus on the D the ST's ranked near the bottom at 27th. Any improvement will go a long way to help the teams overall success. And you know Bang is somewhere loving the arrival of a new ST's coach. 

http://www.csnwashington.com/sites/csnwashington/files/jpfinlay_washington.png

While a lot has been made about continuity for the Redskins going into the 2013-2014 season, one major change was made to the coaching staff during the offseason.

Danny Smith coached Washington's special teams since 2004, but decided to leave the organization after last season. Smith joined thePittsburgh Steelers to be closer to his family.

In his place enters Keith Burns, who coached special teams with the Denver Broncos for the last seven seasons. Burns played 13 seasons in the NFL, 10 of those under Redskins coach Mike Shanahan in Denver.

According to Football Outsiders, the Broncos special teams ranked 13th in the league last season while the Redskins landed 27th on the list. 

Didn't notice it before to be honest.  I'm excited to see what our new coach can do.  Our coverage has been pretty good, but our returns have not been despite having guys who were successful elsewhere (Randle El) or had an exceptional quality that couldn't be exploited (Banks).

Danny Smith seemed to get people to come out of the gate strong, but then they'd consistantly get worse.  Look at his history with kickers especially.  Certainly can't tell much about a special teams' coach, but I'd like to see what he can do.

I am glad to get Kai away from Smith though.

I am hoping a new coach with a new outlook of doing things will increase the potentcy of the ST branch of the team, we have excellent punter in Sav Rocca (it is so good to have an aussie on the team at last) and our kicker appears to be very good as well, with a new coach and new way of doing the same things as before, the ST should just get better

One thing  mentioned last year was that Danny and Kai were working on improving his kickoff distance. My vote is Hell NO! Don't mess with the Cobras strike (rythmm and mechanics) The kid is a very accurate kicker now and I don't want to see that messed up. I hope that Burns also see the risks associated with that and finds another special teamer that can kick off into the endzone.

One thing  mentioned last year was that Danny and Kai were working on improving his kickoff distance. My vote is Hell NO! Don't mess with the Cobras strike (rythmm and mechanics) The kid is a very accurate kicker now and I don't want to see that messed up. I hope that Burns also see the risks associated with that and finds another special teamer that can kick off into the endzone.

Agreed but I don't remember what the longest FG Kai made last year. Maybe he does need to improve his leg power in that regard anyway. 

Hopefully Keith Burns can coach up Chris Thompson to be our own version of Trindon Holliday.

I'd rather not have CT back there returning kicks and taking the added punishment. I'm confident we can find somebody else to do a great job and I am happy with what Crawford did last year too. 

Richard Crawford, Skye Dawson and Chris Thompson are three names that will be in the battle for being the return man.

Dawson is the very long shot of that group of players to even make the team, so it'll be a definitive winning of the job if he pulls it out.

Thompson is a guy that I'd like to see get a role on offense and stay with that role. Reggie Bush would have been a good return man as well, but they didn't put him there to avoid that wear and tear. Darren Sproles does it well, but every player is different. From the start, I'd prefer if someone other than Thompson won the role, but he should still be in the competition.

Ideally, Crawford wins that job. I thought he looked good in the role last year and now has an offseason under his belt.

I'm interested to see what changes are made to special teams, if any major ones.

For what it's worth, Kai apparently worked during the offseason on hangtime and distance with a guy nicknamed "nacho" in California.

Richard Crawford, Skye Dawson and Chris Thompson are three names that will be in the battle for being the return man.

Dawson is the very long shot of that group of players to even make the team, so it'll be a definitive winning of the job if he pulls it out.

Thompson is a guy that I'd like to see get a role on offense and stay with that role. Reggie Bush would have been a good return man as well, but they didn't put him there to avoid that wear and tear. Darren Sproles does it well, but every player is different. From the start, I'd prefer if someone other than Thompson won the role, but he should still be in the competition.

Ideally, Crawford wins that job. I thought he looked good in the role last year and now has an offseason under his belt.

I'm interested to see what changes are made to special teams, if any major ones.

Basically summed up my thoughts as well. I would think Aldrick would be an option back there too but maybe he doesn't have it in him or coaches don't trust him. I'd like to take advantage of his speed more since he doesn't get into as many offensive packages. At least not last year. 

I don't want his name on my lips unless our special teams are SPECIAL.

i knew Smith's name for entirely different reasons.

ways to stay off my Special Teams Coach **** list:

1. Make your field goals. It should be practically automatic from 45 on in. Division titles, Super Bowls,,  they ride on these points. A kicking game that can consistently put points on from the 30 yard line on in is a powerful ally to the offense.
  2. Limit mental mistakes that cause stupid penalties. Establish DISCIPLINE. Disciplined special teams players make for effective special teams. 

That's it. 

~Bang

Kai is money.  I'd be concerned if he wasn't so damn good his entire career in college.  How he slipped through the cracks and fell to us...I have no clue.  Well, I know it was because he was injured, but still...the guy has ALWAYS been a good kicker.  He was a huge get for us.  I'm hoping for a similar "get" for us at RT.  Compton or Nixon...make us proud.

There's no way Niles will be returning KOs for us this year.  If he is, then our FO made a misstep.  We got to have a guy who can help us win the field position battle.  I don't care if the guy is a threat to take it to the house every time, just someone who consistently gets us good yardage with an occasional "long one".  Anybody miss Rock Cartwright?  I sure do.

I don't miss Rock. He was a steadily average returner, which makes him look special in comparison t Banks. But the only reason he was here for so long was because Cud-chewer was satisfied with mediocrity.

A returner is always a position you're looking to upgrade, until you hit on a Devin Hester. And we see how often that happens.

Returners are not costly,, low round draftees, running backs who fill up the roster and 6th and 7th rounds.

And unless you've got one of the best in the game, there should be fresh competition every year.

~Bang

Archived