Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Michael Vick the fastest QB in the league?

Tom [Giants fan]

I don't know if any of you heard and wasn't sure if I should put this here or in the main forum.  Anyway, Michael Vick came out and said he can beat any QB in the league in a 40 yard dash.  He claims he remains as the fastest QB in the league.

Curious to see what you guys say.  I'm sure you guys will argue for RGIII but does anyone give Vick a shot at being faster than RGIII and Kaepernick?

I think if we are talking about the Michael Vick of 5+ years ago, I would agree with him. However I think age has probably caught up with his speed a bit. I doubt he is a 4.3 guy anymore. RG3 could definitely beat him. I don't know Kaepernick's 40 time but I'm willing to bet he could beat Vick now also. Don't get me wrong, Vick is obviously still one of the fastest QBs in the game but he's also like 32 and has been oft injured throughout his career.

Well, Vick might be the fastest QB in the league by a hair over Kaepernick and Wilson (4.53 seconds and 4.55 seconds respectively, unless they've gotten faster or slower), seeing as his fastest timed speed ever was 4.25, but I seriously doubt he's running 4.3 second 40s right now.  Maybe somewhere in the 4.4s, I suppose that's still possible.

But the only reason he'd be the fastest QB in the league is because RGIII got injured.  If you had them run a footrace last year, RGIII probably wins against age 31 Vick, and if RGIII can get healthy and recapture his 4.3-4.4 speed, he'd beat age 32 Vick in a footrace too.

Vick may have been and still may be the shiftiest QB in NFL history; however, when healthy RGIII has Olympic and world class speed.  There's no way Vick now at 32 or at 22 would be able to beat RGIII in a straight line race.

Vick may have been and still may be the shiftiest QB in NFL history; however, when healthy RGIII has Olympic and world class speed.  There's no way Vick now at 32 or at 22 would be able to beat RGIII in a straight line race.

I'm going with this.  The big to do was him beating lesean mccoy in a footrace.  McCoy ran a 4.5 at his pro day (typically pro day times are faster than combine times), so it's not like he beat Chris Johnson.  I'm sure Vick still has plenty of speed, and who knows how RG3 comes back from his knee, but he just doesn't seem as scary as he used to.

I think Vick has a decent shot against RG3.

He is probably faster than Kaep and Wilson easily...

Remember RG3 ran the hurdle and not just straight up running...

Also what Vick is talking about is 40 yard dash...  I don't think its far fetched that Vick could have the upper hand at the 40 yard dash even at his age over RG3.

I'd take (a healthy) Griffin in a 100 yard dash over him no doubt, but I wouldn't bet on him beating Vick in the 40. I don't think Vick's age would factor into it as much as his injuries might. I'm not sure his injuries have affected his speed much, though. 

But really, I don't care. It doesn't matter one bit. I wouldn't let them race. Nothing to gain with an injury a possibility? I don't think so. Go sit back down. 

I never understood why Griffin didn't get credit for his unofficial 4.38 he actually did run at the combine but Mike Vick gets credit for some mythical 4.3 he didn't actually run at the combine nor his pro-day.

(last year) Griffin would have beaten Vick in a 40. (Vick would likely jump out earlier but after 15 yards its all Griff)

Vick beating McCoy doesn't mean a whole lot. McCoy is a 4.5 guy.

The horizontal difference between Vick and RG3 would be somewhere between .5 and 1 yard over a 40 yard dash. Who cares if Vick is faster straight line? Football isn't played in straight lines.

Griffin beats him hands down in passing. You know, that thing that QBs need to be able to do to be successful. His speed is just a bonus. With Vick, his speed is his thing. That he openly came out and said "Chip Kelly taught me how to carry a football" THIS PAST YEAR speaks volumes more than being "the fastest QB" does.

I think it's telling that he's saying this now, after RG3's injury, and not last season, when the media and fans were routinely calling RG3 the fastest QB in the league. Very opportunistic. 

He is likely faster in a straight line than Kaep and Wilson, although he looks slower than both in games. Whether RG3 is still faster than him or not is an unknown until his rehab is over. 

I can't believe fans of a team that watched Darrell Green play for 20 years is trying to act like every player gets slower after 30. Vick is probably the fastest guy on his team, and I think a race with him and RG3 would be pretty darn close. Vick's still got it, he just hasn't flashed it as much as he used to so people don't notice. 

• 5 weeks later...

I don't know if any of you heard and wasn't sure if I should put this here or in the main forum.  Anyway, Michael Vick came out and said he can beat any QB in the league in a 40 yard dash.  He claims he remains as the fastest QB in the league.

Curious to see what you guys say.  I'm sure you guys will argue for RGIII but does anyone give Vick a shot at being faster than RGIII and Kaepernick?

It's possible, but since he would probably sprain something 5 yards in because he's so frail & injury prone, we'll never truly know.

Who cares? This is why Vick never grows as a football player cause he cares about being faster than the young guys and not fixing his issues with turnovers/accuracy.

Darrell Green was the fastest man in the NFL for over a decade, yet he never focused on that. We did, but he didn't. He focused on his cover skills & being the best at position he could be, which is why for the 20 years of his career, while water covered 70% of all the Earth, Darrell Green covered the rest. He didn't brag about his speed.

Vick should focus his attention on what skills he has that really matters. His running speed will only matter at this point if he's caught in another scandal & he's being chased by the cops.

Archived