Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RT: At least 19 shot during Mother's Day Parade

baegopa

http://rt.com/usa/new-orleans-parade-shooting-179/

Twelve people are being treated for gunshot wounds following a shootout at a Mothers’ Day parade in New Orleans.

What a tragedy on a special day.

Update: Almost two dozen people including two 10-year-old children have been injured after as many as three gunmen opened fire at a 'second line' of a parade on Mother’s Day in New Orleans. Three people remain in critical condition following the shootout.

I thought trying to score political points immediately after a tragedy wasn't acceptable around here?

Maybe you're right, but it seems such a constant and sad theme. Are we seeing these mass shootings once a month now? More often?

Interesting quote from NOLA.com:

"Me and mom were going to the second line. I told her I didn't want to go because there are all always shots at a second line," Tyler said. "And the second I heard shots, I heard shots fired, we ran outside and one man fell in my lap who had been shot."

Sounds like gang violence.

Maybe you're right, but it seems such a constant and sad theme. Are we seeing these mass shootings once a month now? More often?

You make the call..... were the guns used in this crime acquired legally or were they stolen?

I'm going with stolen.

You make the call..... were the guns used in this crime acquired legally or were they stolen?

I'm going with stolen.

Doesn't really matter does it? If they were legally purchased then that points to the need for more gun control. If they were stolen then either the owners are not responsible or having the guns in the home provided no protection from robbery, right?

In either case, the arguments made not to increase gun control are shown to be empty.

On the contrary,gun violence has been on the decline in recent years. It's 50% of what it was 20 years ago, and is basically as low as it's ever been since the 60s.

Historical Data

Homicides_by_weapon_type.png

USDOJ (http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/index.cfm?ty=pbdetail&iid=2221)

Recent Data

Murder_by_weapon_type_2007_2011.png

FBI (http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2011/crime-in-the-u.s.-2011/tables/expanded-homicide-data-table-11)

Additionally, the non-fatal firearm violence incidence rate is down 66% since 1993.

Nonfatal_firearm_crime.png

NIJ (http://www.nij.gov/topics/crime/gun-violence/)

Stats show a declining trend in gun violence, a spike in the 90s, then a continuation of the decline in the late 90s, early 2000s.

You know, looking at all these stats makes me wonder why 90s gun violence was so bad?

On the contrary,gun violence has been on the decline in recent years. It's 50% of what it was 20 years ago, and is basically as low as it's ever been since the 60s.

Stats show a declining trend in gun violence, a spike in the 90s, then a continuation of the decline in the late 90s, early 2000s.

You know, looking at all these stats makes me wonder why 90s gun violence was so bad?

I know they usually don't talk about this in grade school history (wish they did), but the 90s were basically the leftovers of the 1980s crack epidemic.

With this being possibly gang violence, this speaks more to fact we have zero if any control over who gets guns, legally or not. These guns were probably bought in a brown paper bag in a park or out the trunk of somebody's car.

If you are saying that gun violence is decreasing doesn't that suggest that gun control has been at least somewhat effective. Now, you might argue that 30000 deaths by gun are still way too much. I agree is the answer to really do nothing?

There's plenty of points that need to be proven.

It happens so often the appropriate "waiting period" is rarely reached before the next one.

I don't know why we need to pretend to give a crap about the victims,, our lack of action on any issue surrounding this problem sort of proves that it's only lip service.

~Bang

Interesting. That might have been part of it. I'm honestly curious why it was so bad back then.

You should really look more into this event in our history to answer some of your own questions. It certainly had more of a direct impact then heavy metal or TV violence. It completely devastated the black inner city communities, and we're still dealing with the aftershocks today.

You should really look more into this event in our history to answer some of your own questions. It certainly had more of a direct impact then heavy metal or TV violence. It completely devastated the black inner city communities, and we're still dealing with the aftershocks today.

Yeah, I'm interested, I'm going to look into it. Thanks man.

Doesn't really matter does it? If they were legally purchased then that points to the need for more gun control. If they were stolen then either the owners are not responsible or having the guns in the home provided no protection from robbery, right?

In either case, the arguments made not to increase gun control are shown to be empty.

Ahh, so us law abiding citizens who take gun ownership seriously need to hand in our guns HOPING the criminals decide not to shoot up a mothers day parade.

Doesn't make sense to me, but I can see how it makes sense to someone who has never owned or probably even fired a "gun".

Just how would increased gun control have prevented this?? Unsure of the particulars in this case but the horse has definately left the barn.

Ahh, so us law abiding citizens who take gun ownership seriously need to hand in our guns HOPING the criminals decide not to shoot up a mothers day parade.

Doesn't make sense to me, but I can see how it makes sense to someone who has never owned or probably even fired a "gun".

Nope, what doesn't make sense is the irresponsibility of some gun owners. Should someone who leaves a loaded rifle lying in the corner so he could shoot his two year old sister own a gun? Should we demand that gun owners keep their weapons in a way that makes it tougher to steal? Maybe. Maybe not, but if what your saying is that criminals have easy and ready access to guns by breaking into gun owners homes than guns aren't really a deterrent or even protective, right.

I believe if someone is to own a gun they should so so responsibly and that includes making it difficult for kids or bad guys to get their hands on them.

Senseless. It is almost becoming normal. Pretty soon someone will come in and say guns aren't a problem in America.

It's a societal issue.

Why isn't there a "What the **** is causing people to do this? How can we detect/resolve issues in individuals better?" enraged response every time? Access to guns isn't the primary issue here, but everyone wants to treat it like such.

Interesting. That might have been part of it. I'm honestly curious why it was so bad back then.

Well the decline can mostly be attributed to demographics ... Violent crime peaked around '91-'92, then started to decline.

Bascally, most violent crimes are commited by young maies (< 30). After abortion was legalized in '73, that demographic had a huge falloff (esp. amongst the poorer part of the population more likely to produce violent criminals)

This point was made by Steven Levitt in Freakonomics

Just how would increased gun control have prevented this?? Unsure of the particulars in this case but the horse has definately left the barn.

Well, doing nothing is a sad solution. The rate of gun violence in America is ten times the rate of other countries. He'll, we kill ten times more people in one year than we lost in troops in Afghanistan over ten years of war and occupation

How is that acceptable? How do we settle for this status quo?

Archived