Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RT: At least 19 shot during Mother's Day Parade

baegopa

Nope, what doesn't make sense is the irresponsibility of some gun owners. Should someone who leaves a loaded rifle lying in the corner so he could shoot his two year old sister own a gun? Should we demand that gun owners keep their weapons in a way that makes it tougher to steal? Maybe. Maybe not, but if what your saying is that criminals have easy and ready access to guns by breaking into gun owners homes than guns aren't really a deterrent or even protective, right.

I believe if someone is to own a gun they should so so responsibly and that includes making it difficult for kids or bad guys to get their hands on them.

i agree with the children part, but if a criminal wants to get his hands on a gun, he doesn't need to break into my house to do so, new gun laws only punish responsible owners.

It's a societal issue.

Why isn't there a "What the **** is causing people to do this? How can we detect/resolve issues in individuals better?" enraged response every time? Access to guns isn't the primary issue here, but everyone wants to treat it like such.

I agree, we need to get to the heart of the issue. Personally, I wish there was more focus on mental health diagnosis and treatment in this country.

Well, doing nothing is a sad solution. The rate of gun violence in America is ten times the rate of other countries. He'll, we kill ten times more people in one year than we lost in troops in Afghanistan over ten years of war and occupation

How is that acceptable? How do we settle for this status quo?

Too much to ask to let the injured get out of surgery before we turn to our political agenda? Should we try to find out if the shooters were muslim? Illegals? Minorities? It is New Orleans afterall

It's a societal issue.

Why isn't there a "What the **** is causing people to do this? How can we detect/resolve issues in individuals better?" enraged response every time? Access to guns isn't the primary issue here, but everyone wants to treat it like such.

I want that too. I want to make it tougher for irresponsible, unstable, and criminals to murder.

Too much to ask to let the injured get out of surgery before we turn to our political agenda? Should we try to find out if the shooters were muslim? Illegals? Minorities? It is New Orleans afterall

What happens every time we wait? A whole lot of nothing. Wash, rinse, repeat and wonder why nothing changes.

Well, doing nothing is a sad solution. The rate of gun violence in America is ten times the rate of other countries. He'll, we kill ten times more people in one year than we lost in troops in Afghanistan over ten years of war and occupation.

How is that acceptable? How do we settle for this status quo?

I wouldn't call it a "gun issue" per se, but they (guns) can excaserbate(sp?) the issue. The bigger issue is that people get "offended" WAY too easily, and have no idea what escalation of force is. Not saying that that was the problem this time, but when people get "disrespected" they immediately go to guns, rather than having a good old fistfight or whatever. Yes, those can be violent, but generally they don't end up with people getting killed.

It's not a gun or gun control issue, it's an escalation of force issue.

What happens every time we wait? A whole lot of nothing. Wash, rinse, repeat and wonder why nothing changes.

Yeah..it is all because of "waiting". Not because people are more concerned about making their political points than solving an actual problem. No idea what caused, motivated, or who perpetrated this. Hell, don't even care about who was hurt, how bad, and what the prognosis is.....guns guns guns. They weren't there in Boston...I guess that never happened.

The MIT cop would beg to differ with you that the Tsarnaev's had no guns in Boston.

the one they killed for his gun?

maybe you should stick to your deceptive stats

the one they killed for his gun?

maybe you should stick to your deceptive stats

http://www.businessinsider.com/why-boston-suspects-killed-mit-officer-2013-4

Investigators believe that the suspected Boston bombers killed MIT police officer Sean Collier in a failed attempt to steal his gun,[/B] The New York Times reports.

Police told the Times that surveillance video from April 18 shows two men, believed to be Tamerlan and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, approaching Collier’s squad car from behind at about 10:30 p.m. and shooting him before attempting to take his gun.

“He had a triple-lock holster, and they could not figure it out,” a law enforcement official told the Times. “There is evidence at the scene to suggest that they were going for his gun.”

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/why-boston-suspects-killed-mit-officer-2013-4#ixzz2T7u0r3Na

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm assuming you just didn't remember the details. It happens to all of us. (If there was a correction to this account I haven't heard it)

If you are saying that gun violence is decreasing doesn't that suggest that gun control has been at least somewhat effective. Now, you might argue that 30000 deaths by gun are still way too much. I agree is the answer to really do nothing?

I'm saying that, judging by your post, you perceive that gun violence is getting worse, when in reality it isn't. That's all. I don't really know how gun control has had an effect on this, if at all.

thanks for substantiating my point..... you planning on disarming the police as well?

Oy vey.

I'm saying that, judging by your post, you perceive that gun violence is getting worse, when in reality it isn't. That's all. I don't really know how gun control has had an effect on this, if at all.

I do believe that the number of mass shootings have risen. I am aware of the trends in the overall rate. Regardless, I believe that 30,000 plus a year is not an acceptable rate especially when you compare it to every other industrialized nation.

Gee, who would have thought this thread would get this stupid, this fast?

Yeah, I think they do this to try to wear people out so they'll give up. I can't believe this is actually theiry logic.

I do believe that the number of mass shootings have risen.

Possibly, I don't know the numbers. I think this may have more to do with mental health than anything. Pretty much all the mass shooters of the past few years (VT, Aurora, Sandy Hook...) had documented mental problems.

I am aware of the trends in the overall rate. Regardless, I believe that 30,000 plus a year is not an acceptable rate especially when you compare it to every other industrialized nation.

30,000? More like 14,000-16,000 homicides per year, that's including all weapons, not just guns. There were around 11,000 homicides using a firearm last year. Still a lot, but you're inflating the numbers for some reason.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/homicide.htm

Possibly, I don't know the numbers. I think this may have more to do with mental health than anything. Pretty much all the mass shooters of the past few years (VT, Aurora, Sandy Hook...) had documented mental problems.

30,000? More like 14,000-16,000 homicides per year, that's including all weapons, not just guns. There were around 11,000 homicides using a firearm last year. Still a lot, but you're inflating the numbers for some reason.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/homicide.htm

Tough to say you care about mental health on the one hand and then discount death due to suicide on the other. I do agree that prevention including mental health care is a big piece of the puzzle.

Ahh, so us law abiding citizens who take gun ownership seriously need to hand in our guns HOPING the criminals decide not to shoot up a mothers day parade.

Doesn't make sense to me, but I can see how it makes sense to someone who has never owned or probably even fired a "gun".

No, but the NRA wants responsible gun owners on the front line taking bullets for them so they can prevent laws from being passed that will take guns away from the mentally ill, and make sure their pockets remain full. If you're a responsible gun owner, more gun control laws shouldn't change a thing.

Tough to say you care about mental health on the one hand and then discount death due to suicide on the other. I do agree that prevention including mental health care is a big piece of the puzzle.

Ah, ok, you're including suicides. And I'm definitely not discounting death due to suicide, and it should be taken seriously.

No, but the NRA wants responsible gun owners on the front line taking bullets for them so they can prevent laws from being passed that will take guns away from the mentally ill, and make sure their pockets remain full. If you're a responsible gun owner, more gun control laws shouldn't change a thing.

I'm all for preventing the mentally ill from getting their hands on firearms, with that said, there isn't a single law that would have prevented the maniac in Newtown from going on a shooting spree.

Yes, one of the things driving the non-stop stupid in this discussion is the way people chose to accept greatly different numbers.

The number of "gun deaths" includes homicides, suicides, deliberate shootings which are ruled justifiable for one reason or another, and accidental shootings.

Should those numbers be included, when the topic is discussed? I'm not really sure. (I'm pretty sure that I don't think we should be including suicides. Which is a pretty big chunk of the "total gun deaths".)

Does the use of one number or the other prove that the person using that number is biased? I don't think so.

(Although it is a fact that those people who are pushing agenda, do go out of their way to cherry pick whichever number is tilted in their direction the most. And demand that everyone else must use the number which they demand, or else the other person is biased.)

Update: Almost two dozen people (19 to be exact) including two 10-year-old children have been injured after as many as three gunmen opened fire at a 'second line' of a parade on Mother’s Day in New Orleans. Three people remain in critical condition following the shootout.

Archived