Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Now that the draft is over... Predict your 2013 Washington Redskins 53 man roster!

soljaofjesus

We have a few more months left before the season, but now that the draft is over, probably 95% of our players are already on our roster . What do you think we will do as far as the 53 man roster? Here is mine. I made some surprising cuts and moves.

* Helu can't recover enough to participate in preseason and the backup positions go to two rookies.

* Kept 4 TE

* Tony Pashos becomes to the swing tackle

* Surprise man: Marvin Burdette . He really looks like Fletcher out there.

QB (3) : RG3, Kirk Cousins, Rex Grossman

RB (3) : Alfred Morris, Jawan Jamison, Chris Thompson

FB (1) : Darell Young

WR (5): Pierre Garcon, Joshua Morgan, Santana Moss, Leonard Hankerson, Aldrick Robinson

TE(4): Fred Davis, Logan Paulsen, Jordan Reed, Niles Paul

OT(4): Trent Williams, , Tom Compton, Tyler Polumbus , Tony Pashos

OG(3): Kory Licht, Chris Chester, Adam Gettis

C(2) :W Montgomery , J. LeRibeus

DE(4): Stephen Bowen, Adam Carriker, Jarvis Jenkins, Kedrick Golston

NT(2): Barry Cofield, Chris Nield

OLB(4): Brian Orakpo, Ryan Kerrigan, Rob Jackson, Brandon Jenkins

ILB(4): London Fletcher, Perry Riley, Keenan Robinson, Marvin Burdette

CB(6): Deangelo Hall, Josh Wilson, EJ Biggers, David Amerson, Richard Crawford, Chase Minnifield

“FS”(2): Tanard Jackson, Bacarri Rambo,

“SS”(3) : Brandon Merriweather, Phillip Thomas, Reed Doughty

K – Kai Forbath

P – Sav Rocca

LS- Nick Sundberg

Practice Squad:

Jason Thompson

Xavier Nixon

D. Boyce - FB who got injured last year. Thought he was a good player and want him back

Pretty good list. I'd be surprised if Niles Paul and Jawan Jamison made the squad. I think Royster or Helu go before him. Just think that Jamison will be headed for the PS. As for Paul, they gave him every opportunity to succeed and he dropped almost every one of them. Unless no one else shows a knack in the return game I think his spot goes to someone else.

I like the OP's list, I guess my only change would be to keep Baker at NT instead of this Burdette cat at ILB.

I like his list too and I think most of us will end up with the same with minor changes. Mine is below.

RB (3) : Alfred Morris, Roy Helu, Chris Thompson

WR (5): Pierre Garcon, Joshua Morgan, Santana Moss, Leonard Hankerson, Aldrick Robinson

TE(3): Fred Davis, Jordan Reed, Logan Paulsen

OT(4): Trent Williams, Tom Compton, Tyler Polumbus , Jeremy Trueblood

OG(4): Kory Licht, Chris Chester, Josh Leribeus, Adam Gettis

C(1): W Montgomery, (LeRibeus)

DE(4): Stephen Bowen, Adam Carriker, Jarvis Jenkins, Phillip Merling

NT(2): Barry Cofield, Chris Nield

ILB(5): London Fletcher, Perry Riley, Keenan Robinson, Kehl, Marvin Burdette

CB(6): Deangelo Hall, Josh Wilson, EJ Biggers, David Amerson, Richard Crawford, Chase Minnifield

FS(2): Bacarri Rambo, Jordan Pugh

SS(3) : Phillip Thomas, Brandon Merriweather, Reed Doughty

K – Kai Forbath

P – Sav Rocca

LS- Nick Sundberg

Practice Squad:

Jawan Jamison

Jason Thompson

Xavier Nixon

Like the OP but even though I wish Tenard would be back I think they will go with the younger guy Bernstine who they liked last year. Also don't think Baker will get left off the team Burdette to practice squad. Now with this who will return kicks, I don't like the combo of Crawford and Paul. Is there someone else that can succeed in this?

QB: Griffin III, Cousins, Grossman (3)

RB: Morris, Helu Jr., Royster, Thompson (4)

FB: Young (1)

WR: Garcon, Morgan, Moss, Hankerson, Robinson, Briscoe (6)

TE: Davis, Reed, Paulsen, Paul (4)

OL: Williams, Chester, Montgomery, Lichtensteiger, Polumbus, LeRibeus, Compton, Trueblood, Gettis (9)

DL: Bowen, Cofield, Carriker, Jenkins, Nield (5)

LB: Fletcher, Riley, Orakpo, Kerrigan, Jackson, Jenkins, Robinson, Kehl (8)

CB: Hall, Wilson, Biggers, Crawford, Amerson, Minnifield (6)

S: Merriweather, Doughty, Thomas, Rambo (4)

P: Rocca (1)

K: Forbath (1)

LS: Sundberg (1)

Like the OP but even though I wish Tenard would be back I think they will go with the younger guy Bernstine who they liked last year. Also don't think Baker will get left off the team Burdette to practice squad. Now with this who will return kicks, I don't like the combo of Crawford and Paul. Is there someone else that can succeed in this?

Bernstine has a long way back from his recovery IMO. He shredded his knee. I would expect him on the PUP list to start the season

Also, Thompson might be a candidate to return kicks especially if Helu makes the team and is ahead of him on the depth chart. Though that might be risky for a guy with his injury history. Either way I am confident they can find someone. I liked Crawford returning punts as well and I hope he keeps that job

QB: RGIII, Cousins, Grossman

RB: Morris, Helu, Royster, Thompson

FB: Young

WR: Garcon, Morgan, Moss, Hankerson, Robinson

TE: Davis, Reed, Paulson

OT: Williams, Polumbus, Compton, Pashos

G: Lichtensteiger, Chester, Gettis, Hurt

C: Montgomery, LeRibeus

DE: Carriker, Bowen, Jenkins, Golston

NT: Cofield, Baker

OLB: Orakpo, Kerrigan, Jackson, Jenkins, Tapp

ILB: Fletcher, Riley, Robinson, Kehl

CB: Wilson, Hall, Amerson, Crawford, Biggers

S: Merriweather, Thomas, Doughty, Rambo

PK: Forbath

P: Rocca

LS: Sundberg

I'm keeping 4 running backs because Thompson will be used, primarily, to return kicks and punts with R. Crawford, which puts N. Paul on the trading block. I favor keeping M. Hurt because he's proven that he can play tackle and guard. Backup lineman have to be versatile. Tapp is my 53rd man because of Jackson's suspension. If K. Robinson isn't fully recovered, I could see us keeping another ILB ...maybe one of the UDFAs or someone cut from another roster.

I'm going to take a stab at this, ladies and germs. :pfft:

QB: RG3, Cousins, and Grossman. Not much to comment on here. RG3 is the leader, Cousins is the backup, and Sexy Rexy is the mentor.

RB: Morris, Thompson, and Jamison. I think Helu (injury situation) and Royster (ineffective) have been served notice and that Thompson/Jamison show more promise and potential.

FB: Young. Nuff said.

TE: Davis, Reed, and Paulsen. I think Paul is finished. He simply did not show enough last season to warrant a roster spot this season. Peterson is a wild card to make the roster depending on whether the coaching staff feels they have a luxury spot. As of now, I think they go with these 3 guys in 2013.

WR: Garcon, Morgan, Hankerson, Moss, Robinson, and J. Thompson. I figure that Briscoe (who didn't impress last season) will be replaced. Thompson has impressed me with his skills and could potentially vie for a roster spot with his size and ability (and yeah, he's my man crush :ols:). I also think the team carries 6 WRs.

OL: C Montgomery and LeRibeus. G Chester, Lichtensteiger, Hurt, and Gettis, T Williams, Compton, and Polumbus. I think we end up going into 2013 with the same OL. And, we will , for the most part, have the same depth chart as well.

DE: Bowen, Carriker, Jenkins, and Merling. Not much new here other than removing Golston. If Merling excels in the least, it'll be enough to show Golston the door.

NT: Cofield, Baker, and Neild. I think they keep 3 NTs this season. Neild showed enough promise to keep him with the team this year. Same for Baker.

LB: Orakpo, Fletcher, Riley, Kerrigan, Jackson, Robinson, Jenkins, and Burdette.

CB: Hall, Wilson, Amerson, Crawford, and Minnifield.

S: Merriweather, Thomas, Rambo, Jackson, and Bernstein.

K: Forbath

LS: Sunberg

Heres mine

RB (3) : Alfred Morris, Roy Helu, Chris Thompson

TE(3): Fred Davis, Jordan Reed, Logan Paulsen, Niles Paul

OT(4): Trent Williams, Tom Compton, Tyler Polumbus , Tony Pashos

OG(4): Kory Licht, Chris Chester, Josh Leribeus, Adam Gettis

C(1): W Montgomery, (LeRibeus)

DE(4): Stephen Bowen, Adam Carriker, Jarvis Jenkins, Kedric Golston.

NT(2): Barry Cofield, Chris Baker

OLB(4): Brian Orakpo, Ryan Kerrigan, Rob Jackson, Brandon Jenkins, Darryl Tapp.

ILB(5): London Fletcher, Perry Riley, Keenan Robinson, Ryan Kehl,

CB(6): Deangelo Hall, Josh Wilson, EJ Biggers, David Amerson, Richard Crawford,

FS(2): Bacarri Rambo, Jordan Pugh

SS(3) : Phillip Thomas, Brandon Merriweather, Reed Doughty

K – Kai Forbath

P – Sav Rocca

LS- Nick Sundberg

I kept Paul as he is a core special teams player and an extra OLB in Tapp because Rob Jackson is suspended the first 4 games. I am thinking Chase Minefield cant prove he is 100% and loses out - if he can prove he is healthy he might force himself onto the 53. Hurt might well beat out Pashos and Trueblood for the last O'Line spot as well since he can play guard as well as tackle.

Bernstine has a long way back from his recovery IMO. He shredded his knee. I would expect him on the PUP list to start the season

Also, Thompson might be a candidate to return kicks especially if Helu makes the team and is ahead of him on the depth chart. Though that might be risky for a guy with his injury history. Either way I am confident they can find someone. I liked Crawford returning punts as well and I hope he keeps that job

Didn't Bernstine recently state that he would be ready for training camp? Or am I mixing him up with somebody else...

Niles Paul was our second best ST player last year. Lorenzo was the best and he's gone so there is absolutely no chance that he gets dropped from the team. Thinking otherwise is crazy.

Paul will be on the team.For exactly this reason, and that Shanahan does like him, and thinks that he is going to be a very good TE. At least that's what he's saying publicly.

I think picking a TE in the 2013 draft was a look to the future of Davis, not Paul. I don't think they want to spend big money in 2014 on Davis, and this gives them some options.

I agree with some people here that not every veteran free agent signed will make the team, which is actually a nice change.

How many people here are forgetting Paul caught the game clincher against the Cowboys on Thanksgiving in addition to some nice special teams hits.

Bernstine has some options. WIth his injury they could probably believably place him on one of the injury lists. And since he was hurt after only one game he's still practice squad eligible

QB: Griffin, Cousins, Grossman (3)

RB: Morris, Helu, Thompson (6)

FB: Morris, Kettani (8)

TE: Davis, Reed, Paulsen (11)

WR: Garcon, Morgan, Moss, Hankerson, Robinson(16)

T: Williams, Compton, Polumbus, Trueblood (20)

G: Lichtensteiger, LeRibius, Chester, Gettis (24)

C: Montgomery (25)

NT: Cofield, Neild (27)

DE: Carriker, Bowen, Jenkins, Golston (31)

ILB: Fletcher, Riley, Robinson, Kehl (35)

OLB: Orakpo, Kerrigan, Jackson, Jenkins (39)

CB: Hall, Wilson, Amerson, Crawford, Minnifield, Biggers (45)

S: Thomas, Rambo, Meriweather, Doughty, Bernstine (50)

P: Rocca (51)

K: Forbath (52)

LS: Sundberg (53)

I'm not going to get into predictions just yet, but here are some thoughts:

* I think the biggest battle is going to be at RB, where Royster looks like the most obvious cut. Chris Thompson, I think, is coming off an ACL, Helu is coming off of an injur. I'm going to agree that in the end Royster is gone, and they don't carry 4 RBs, which means Jamison and Helu are probably battling for 1 spot.

* I think they will keep 4 TEs. Mostly to hedge against paying Davis a ton of money in 2014, and they like Paul on specials.

* Tony Pashos/Jeremy Trueblood are competing for one spot. I think that Trent, Polumbus and Compton are locks, and I don't think that they want to carry 5 tackles.

* For Guards/Center, you have Kory, Chester and Monty as locks. Josh L. and Gettis seem most likely as backups. What this means is that Big Mo Hurt is fighting for his life, and probably with members of other units, to justify 6 interior OL spots. Which they did this year, but I'm thinking they might want to move one of those spots to the secondary.

* An interesting possibility would be if Robert is full go at the beginning of the season, do they release Grossman and use his roster spot on somebody else? I'm going to say no, but I would be surprised.

* DL looks reasonably set, with the addition of the rookie draft pick there in the mix. Golston might get squeezed out by a rookie.

*ILB, Fletch and Riley are locks, and I think that Robinson should be penciled in here if he's healthy.

*OLB, this might be the place where if they go with one less OG/C, that spot goes to. With Rob Jackson suspended for 4 games, Orakpo coming off his second torn pec injury, they might carry an extra OLB, at least for the first 4 games.

*CB, I think that Biggers and the rookies all make it, and that's probably bad news for somebody who was on the team.Chase Minniefield is somebody to watch. He had a good camp, then got badly injured. Wilson and Hall are most probably safe, and then everybody else is in a big glob to see who emerges. And ties will go to the rookies.

*S: All the rookies make it. I am not counting on Tanard Jackson to be ready for this season. Even if he is reinstated, it won't be until very late in the pre-season, so I'm going to assume he's not on the team.

Who is J. Thompson?????????

I'm going to take a stab at this, ladies and germs. :pfft:

QB: RG3, Cousins, and Grossman. Not much to comment on here. RG3 is the leader, Cousins is the backup, and Sexy Rexy is the mentor.

RB: Morris, Thompson, and Jamison. I think Helu (injury situation) and Royster (ineffective) have been served notice and that Thompson/Jamison show more promise and potential.

FB: Young. Nuff said.

TE: Davis, Reed, and Paulsen. I think Paul is finished. He simply did not show enough last season to warrant a roster spot this season. Peterson is a wild card to make the roster depending on whether the coaching staff feels they have a luxury spot. As of now, I think they go with these 3 guys in 2013.

WR: Garcon, Morgan, Hankerson, Moss, Robinson, and J. Thompson. I figure that Briscoe (who didn't impress last season) will be replaced. Thompson has impressed me with his skills and could potentially vie for a roster spot with his size and ability (and yeah, he's my man crush :ols:). I also think the team carries 6 WRs.

OL: C Montgomery and LeRibeus. G Chester, Lichtensteiger, Hurt, and Gettis, T Williams, Compton, and Polumbus. I think we end up going into 2013 with the same OL. And, we will , for the most part, have the same depth chart as well.

DE: Bowen, Carriker, Jenkins, and Merling. Not much new here other than removing Golston. If Merling excels in the least, it'll be enough to show Golston the door.

NT: Cofield, Baker, and Neild. I think they keep 3 NTs this season. Neild showed enough promise to keep him with the team this year. Same for Baker.

LB: Orakpo, Fletcher, Riley, Kerrigan, Jackson, Robinson, Jenkins, and Burdette.

CB: Hall, Wilson, Amerson, Crawford, and Minnifield.

S: Merriweather, Thomas, Rambo, Jackson, and Bernstein.

K: Forbath

LS: Sunberg

It is too early to tell who is going to be drafted based on the draft especially after signing some of the FA we signed early on. We signed Phillip Merling, DE (3-4 DE), Ron Brace, NT, Tony Pashos, T, Jeremy Trueblood, T, EJ Biggers, CB, Darryl Tapp, DE, Pat White, QB, Ike Williams, RB, Baylor. That means going into the draft the FO thought they needed some more DL and OL people. Then in the draft they went after Amerson, David, CB NC State, Jamison, Jawan, RB Rutgers, Jenkins, Brandon, OLB Florida State, Rambo, Bacarri, S Georgia, Reed, Jordan, TE Florida, Thomas, Phillip, S Fresno State, Thompson, Chris, RB Florida State. Only two offensive guys and the rest defensive guys. So the guys drafted will either be on the practice squad or on the 53 man roster. Ron Brace will be a guy that will probably be competing with Neild for the back up NT and Phillip Merlin will be another guy that will be competing for a spot with Golston. So who goes? I think Reed Doughty's job is in jeopardy but he has stayed around for more years than anyone thought he would because he is never hurt and plays his position rather well even if he occasionally gets burnt due to lack of speed. Helu and Royster are the two guys that are competing for a spot with Jamison placed on the practice squad. Pat White is the camp fodder but could unseat Grossman in camp if he shows that he can add something to the club (highly unlikely IMO). But the reason they signed and drafted the players they did is to create competition which means no ones job is safe. Plus no one knows about the UDFA's that will be brought in. There might be another guy that unseats someone.

QB: RG3 Cousins Grossman

HB: Morris Helu Thompson

FB: D.Y.

TE: Davis Reed Paulsen Paul

WR: Gaçon Morgan Moss Hank Robinson

T: Williams Compton Trueblood Polumbus

G: Licht Gettis Chester LeRibus

C: Montgomery

NT: Cofiled Baker

DE: Bowen Carriker Jenkins Golston

ILB: Fletcher Riley Robinson Kehl

OLB: Rak Kerrigan Jackson/Tapp(after 4 games suspension Tapp released to bring Jackson back to active roster) Jenkins

CB: Wilson Biggers Hall Amerson Crawford Minnifeild

S: Meriwether Thomas Bernstine Doughty Rambo

K:Forbath

P:Rocca

LS: Sundberg

I haven't seen too many of you guys have Bernstine in at S, I would believe he would make it in over Pugh, he tore up his knee week one last year and I think he could come back by week 1 this year. Niles Paul is a guy that Shanny and Co. think highly of and I would be suprised to not see him on the 53 man even if it means keeping 4 TE, he is a good ST guy and had a TD or two last year, one of which was big agianst Dallas on Thanksgiving. Like stated above, I see Tapp being released after Jackson serves his suspension. I think that Trueblood will be a starter at RT honestly, just my 2 cents.

I think it's a stretch for people to automatically pencil in Chase Minnifield to secure a spot at CB. I know he showed a little in OTAs last year, but there's another knee injury and that much more competition now.

And I'd be shocked if both rookie RBs made it over both Royster and Helu. At least one of those two rookies is gonna come up short.

QB (3) : RG3, Kirk Cousins, Rex Grossman -- Pat White ain't gonna make it over Grossman...

RB (3) : Alfred Morris, Chris Thompson -- Fight between Helu/Jamison for the last spot. Jamison can got to PS though so Helu will probably get the nod. Royster is odd man out.

FB (1) : Darrell Young

WR (5): Pierre Garcon, Joshua Morgan, Santana Moss, Leonard Hankerson, Aldrick Robinson -- I guess Briscoe is the odd man out here. Remember when we kept 7 WRs? Haha....

TE(4): Fred Davis, Logan Paulsen, Jordan Reed, Niles Paul

OT(4): Trent Williams, Tom Compton, Tyler Polumbus -- Pashos/Trueblood fighting for one spot

OG(3): Kory Licht, Chris Chester, -- Gettis/Hurt fighting for one spot

C(2) :W Montgomery , J. LeRibeus

DE(4): Stephen Bowen, Adam Carriker, Jarvis Jenkins -- Merling/Golston fighting for one spot

NT(2): Barry Cofield -- Neild/Baker fighting for one spot

ILB(4): London Fletcher, Perry Riley, Keenan Robinson -- Burdette/Kehl for one spot

S(5): Tanard Jackson, Bacarri Rambo, Brandon Merriweather, Phillip Thomas, Reed Doughty -- If Tanard Jackson isn't unsuspended by August I don't think we keep him. We would probably keep Gomes/Bernstein instead.

K – Kai Forbath

P – Sav Rocca

LS- Nick Sundberg

Thus, Camp fights will most likely be

RB 1 spot -- Helu/Jamison/Royster

WR 1 spot -- Robinson/Briscoe... but I think they'll almost always keep Robinson

OT 1 spot -- Pashos/Trueblood

OG 1 spot -- Gettis/Hurt

DE 1 spot -- Merling/Golston

NT 1 spot -- Neild/Baker

ILB 1 spot -- Kehl/Burdette

S 1 spot -- Tanard Jackson... otherwise Gomes/Bernstein

CB -- Chase Minnifield could be the odd man out if we want to keep two of the above any any positiion such as both Gettis and Hurt... or even keeping Briscoe as a WR. He still has some practice squad eligibility and thus likely wouldn't be taken from us as well.

I'm excited for this competition. May the best players win.

Archived