Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

Playing Indian at summer camp is a long time tradition in North America.

http://aptn.ca/news/2015/07/15/two-ontario-summer-camps-need-stop-indigenous-themed-rituals-chief/

Reminds me of a story here a few years ago.

Camp Frame is the 4-H camp in our area. Kids are divided into 4 tribes, Mingo, Delaware, Seneca and Cherokee. Friendly competitions take place between the tribes all week. Some native symbols and activities are present.

A few years ago a white person named buffaloboy or something made a stink. So tribal reps came in and checked it out and said it's cool.

• 2 weeks later...

And that's okay if it's the will of the community (didn't read the article.)

If the neighborhood decides the name no longer fits for whatever reason, they are free to retire it, abandon it, or reject it. The more interesting question is what happens when/if a community or corporation is forced to change it against their collective wills and interests.

• 2 weeks later...

So we are the Washington Red Clouds in the new Minority Report TV show reboot.

That's one suggested name change I've never heard before.

It's an homage to a famous Lakota chief.

I think it's a good suggestion, one of the better ones. There was a WaPo piece on it a while back.

Edit, Here you go:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-washington-red-clouds-a-team-name-to-honor-a-great-warrior-and-leader/2013/11/01/292f20c4-40e3-11e3-a624-41d661b0bb78_story.html

In June 1870, the most powerful American Indian leader in the country, Red Cloud, arrived in Washington with a contingent of Oglala and Brule Sioux. He was treated as a head of state, given tours of the Capitol and the Washington Navy Yard — where he witnessed a gunnery demonstration — and was feted at a White House reception hosted by President Ulysses S. Grant. The former commander of the Union armies may have recognized the significance of Red Cloud accomplishing in two years what Robert E. Lee could not in four: defeating the United States in a war.

What is called Red Cloud’s War officially began in 1866 when the Sioux leader could no longer abide the relentless incursions, including the building of U.S. Army forts, into his people’s territory. The high point of the war occurred when he and his field commander Crazy Horse wiped out an Army troop of 81 men. President Andrew Johnson’s stunned administration sued for peace. In November 1868, Red Cloud signed a treaty to end the fighting — only after burning the Army forts to the ground.

Less than two years later, Red Cloud was in the nation’s capital. “He became stunningly famous,” historian R. Eli Paul wrote. “Newspapers recounted his every word and deed, and large crowds of onlookers gathered at every public sighting .”

It is time for Red Cloud to return to Washington — on the professional football team’s jerseys and in its fighting spirit.

. . .

I think it's a good suggestion, one of the better ones. There was a WaPo piece on it a while back.

Edit, Here you go:

surprised youre defending this. the activists say that native americans are not mascots. you are offending a lot of native americans with your support of this name. 

I'm in sturgis south dakota for the motorcycle rally and I saw two native Americans dressed in full attire walk by so I had to ask.

I walked up to them and pointed up to my do rag (it's a Redskins one) and asked if it offended them.

They said no not at all.

I said thank you and walked away.

To this day I've never found a native American who was offended by the redskins

• 4 weeks later...

I give up.

Just change the damn name I'm truly starting to believe the team is cursed

:(

When that day comes, I'll be happy to see the Washington Football Team in the cellar where it belongs. It won't be my team anymore.

Sadly, I'd bet on it coming sooner rather than later. That'll probably be the end of football as far as I'm concerned.

Oh for heaven sakes just do it already.......I just want them to stop crying already.....

...Plus I get to use this with pride......

Plus Dan may be stalling in order to ensure that he can make as much money off of the new team name.....

why is the spear/arrow more PC than the existing logo?

Call me insensitive but I'm convinced the only NAs that would be "offended" by the Warrior name/logo combo are ones who have financial motives (whether that's via royalties, lawsuits, etc).

We'll ignore the fact that Redskins wasn't a slur in historical context since they seem to have already re-written history on that.

Archived