Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

According to that article, they cite the "native American mascots are harmful to native youth" argument, which, iirc, didn't deal with the obviously noble, native American designed logo. It did deal with the Cleveland Indians caricature, and I agree with that part.

Also, they refer to the name as a slur, and we've been over that a million times.

Nice try though.

Isn't the point of the article that another tribe is adding their names to the list of opposition and refusing association with the Redskins? Did that not happen?

Isn't the point of the article that another tribe is adding their names to the list of opposition and refusing association with the Redskins? Did that not happen?

Of course.

It's the reasoning (or lack thereof) that never fails to disappoint.

I'll never get behind lies and half truths.

Dan Snyder has 2.85 billion reasons to not change the name.

Yep. The name "Redskins" is very valuable.

It is hard to believe that, despite not being a very good team for a while now, the Redskins are the third richest, most profitable team in the NFL (according to Forbes).

Or that the Cowboys are the richest and most profitable, and they haven't seen a Super Bowl in 20 years, either.

Loyal, stubborn fans, I guess. :)

Liking this South Park episode making fun of the PC movement and changing words and all. While I thought they were balanced in the Redskins episode, I don't recall seeing as much of this view of PC people going out of control as they are portraying now.

But at least more and more people are starting to acknowledge how out of control it's gotten.

Yeah, Redskins, Inc is valuable. How much of that value is in the name, I suspect is much harder to quantify.

It's not hard to quantify.  Ravens and Texans are in the top 10 of valuable franchises?  The washington mennonites (being sarcastic) would destroy jersey sales if we made the change.  Anyone trying to pretend it's not true is kidding themselves.

It's not hard to quantify.  Ravens and Texans are in the top 10 of valuable franchises?  The washington mennonites (being sarcastic) would destroy jersey sales if we made the change.  Anyone trying to pretend it's not true is kidding themselves.

I totally disagree. As an out of state fan, I am loyal to the name Washington Redskins. I have no ties to the city. I became a fan of the team as a child because I thought native american culture was cool, and they have been my team every since. If the name changes, I would no longer have a favorite team. That would be an extremely sad day! 

The potential for a wildly successful rebrand is definitely there. Unfortunately, I'm not confident the current braintrust will ever have the know how to navigate a makeover to it's full potential. There hasn't been much innovation here in the past 16 years.

If Steve Bisciotti owned this team, I'd have confidence in his staff to create an awesome new image w/ the folks at Under Armour. I'd put the folks at Nike on the drafting tables and let them create something new for the B&G. We would kill it in merch sales if it's done right. 

Oh, god no.

I mean, I could grudgingly go along with a name change. But please don't give me tie-dyed uniforms that change color when they switch on the UV lights in the stadium, and some goofball font for the numbers, and we'll change the uniforms every year, and ......

It's not hard to quantify. Ravens and Texans are in the top 10 of valuable franchises? The washington mennonites (being sarcastic) would destroy jersey sales if we made the change. Anyone trying to pretend it's not true is kidding themselves.

Do you think if the New York Yankees changed their name they will be able to maintain their current value? I don't think so. The name is the brand. Changing it will erase that brand. Same thing applies to the Washington Redskins.

Do you think if the New York Yankees changed their name they will be able to maintain their current value? I don't think so. The name is the brand. Changing it will erase that brand. Same thing applies to the Washington Redskins.

It might maintain value. They would just have to keep on winning.

But yeah, comparing the Redskins brand to the Yankees brand is borderline crazy anyway.

It might maintain value. They would just have to keep on winning.

But yeah, comparing the Redskins brand to the Yankees brand is borderline crazy anyway.

That's true. But the Redskins is Top 3 in the NFL and one of the Top 10 in all sports and they suck! Imagine if they win. They would be right up there with Dallas. They are still very valuable even with all the name controversy and ****ty stadium. The Washington Redskins is a very valuable brand. The Washington Warriors is not.

The value may be affected by the name, but only in the sense of impact to revenue from fans who abandon the franchise. Forbes values the team mainly on revenue and assets I think. Keep buying stuff and going to games and it will have value.

I wonder if Forbes weighs debt, or lack there of when calculating these franchise values. I believe this team has had a very low debt ratio since Snyder arrived. Our facilities and infrastructure are aging today, but it's all paid for. Plus we don't have to share much revenue with any local governments, unlike most teams with newer, publicly financed venues. 

Archived