Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Guys I need recommendations on the next TV series I should start watching.

stoney26

Netflix picked up BBC/STARZ' "The Missing" for a 3rd season?!  LET'S GO!!!  :headbang:

I cannot praise that show enough.  I've mentioned The Missing several times here over the years, but I'm not aware of any ES friends watching it (that I can remember).  Season 1 is 93% on Rotten, Season 2 is 96%.   The Missing is knock your socks off good, I wish it got more hype in mainstream TV discussion.

S1 had Frances O'Connor & James Nesbitt as mom & dad, Tcheky Karyo as the detective, & Jason Flemyng.  During a crowded viewing of a soccer game at a resort bar in France, dad (Nesbitt) turns his head for 5 seconds, and boom.  The boy disappears in broad daylight.  The entire shows jumps back and forth from days/weeks after the disappearance to 6 years ahead in the present day.  O'Connor and Nesbitt, along with the detective (Karyo) follow breadcrumbs all over France in search of the missing boy.  It gets really, really dark.  Season 1 received 11 total nominations (Golden Globes, Emmys, British Choice awards).  

S2 is a completely different story, with David Morrisey (The Governor from The Walking Dead), Karyo is back as the detective, and Keeley Hawes.  This season is somewhat of a twist as the girl that's been missing for nearly 10 years shows up 5 minutes into episode 1.  The rest of the show is dad (Morrisey) trying to track down the piece of **** as he follows leads all across Germany.  

Reading up on S3, sounds like Tcheky is back with a new case!  

Wow.  So, I haven't watched Season 1 since it aired in 2014.  Watching the Season 1 trailer just now, I got goosebumps all over again.  The tag team performance of O'Connor and Nesbitt is a thing of beauty.   

Edited by Chew
  • Like 1

I cannot overstate how impeccably and perfectly made/written/shot Chernobyl is.  It's incredible.  I feel like I've been kicked in the gut, moved to tears, enlightened and educated after every episode.  It's amazing.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, bcl05 said:

I cannot overstate how impeccably and perfectly made/written/shot Chernobyl is.  It's incredible.  I feel like I've been kicked in the gut, moved to tears, enlightened and educated after every episode.  It's amazing.

Had a feeling it would be, glad to hear y'all saying that.

I'm watching the fourth season of Lucifer.  (Netflix made a 4th season after Fox cancelled it.)  

Spoiler

One of the characters is now pregnant with a baby that was fathered by Amenideal.  The two of them just "baby proofed" her house, by wrapping the ceiling fan, the chandelier, and all the ceiling beams in bubble wrap.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

^ I need to catch up on that  The prison takeover season really dragged for me, and I haven't finished it. Seems like they really got away from the intricate, deep moments that made the show special 

Agree, that whole storyline dragged for probably 2-3 too many episodes. 

Latest season is great though.  Looking forward to the final season, I think it is the right time to end the show.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2019 at 7:05 PM, Chew said:

Kim's Convenience is the comedy we didn't know we needed.   Funny as hell!  

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. 

I'm on Season 3 now. Love this show

• Like 2

I think I'm on the second season of Kim's Convenience.  I will also give a shout out to @Chew for that recommendation.  I am enjoying it.  My favorite character has to be Jung's supervisor at the car rental agency.  She is so funny.

• Like 1

Anyone looking forward to The Witcher this fall?

There hasn't been a whole lot of info.  Not sure how I feel about the Cavill casting, I haven't seen a whole lot of his work outside of Superman.  This could be a pivotal role if he could pull it off. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Anyone looking forward to The Witcher this fall?

There hasn't been a whole lot of info.  Not sure how I feel about the Cavill casting, I haven't seen a whole lot of his work outside of Superman.  This could be a pivotal role if he could pull it off. 

Yep. Word is execs were already impressed enough to greenlight it for a second season. Could be ready to follow in the same footsteps as Castlevania, another Netflix production (of the  animated variety), and based on the popular video game back in the day.

1 hour ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Yep. Word is execs were already impressed enough to greenlight it for a second season. Could be ready to follow in the same footsteps as Castlevania, another Netflix production (of the  animated variety), and based on the popular video game back in the day.

The Witcher was a book series before it was adapted into a videogame so not quite like Castlevania. The Netflix series is supposed to be adopting the books.

Thankfully, this one is finished unlike GoT.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DCSaints_fan said:

The Witcher was a book series before it was adapted into a videogame so not quite like Castlevania. The Netflix series is supposed to be adopting the books.

I had no idea this was the case. Well, im still pretty excited for it.

1 hour ago, The Evil Genius said:

So in Europe, Star Trek Discovery was on Netflix (so was Titans). Was able to download and watch S1 on the plane flights back. Now I'm jonesing for S2. Guess I'll have to cram it on a week free pass??? Anyone know if CBS All Access allows remote viewing (downloads)?

Yes, with the commercial free subscription you can download shows on a mobile device (phone or tablet) and watch them.  But won't be able to with the subscription that has commercials or the free trial.  

Personally, I like CBS All Access.  After season 1 I cancelled and then resubscribed for season 2.  But since then, have decided to keep it going.  Their new Twilight Zone reboot is pretty good to.  Plus they have a pretty big library of current/new shows and older ones.  

• Thanks 1

Taking a different tack here for those young enough to have missed it the first time.

I, Claudius - Available on Netflix

Winner of an Emmy and numerous other awards, this 1976 BBC epic is a tale of ambition, debauchery, and intrigue.  Rated one of the "100 Best TV Shows of All Time" by Time Magazine, the series spans the history of the Roman Empire from Augustus to Claudius and stars Derick Jacobi, Patrick Stewart, Sian Phillips, Lindsay Duncan, John Hurt and Brian Blessed.

It might look like it was made on the cheap (and probably was) but the story, the dialogue and the acting are all first rate!

• Like 1

Three episodes into "Friends from College," it's pretty funny.  Been in the queue for over a year, finally gave it a try.  I read mixed reviews so we've been stalling on it but finally decided to give it a try.  Pleasantly surprised, it's pretty funny.  Also, Cobie is nice to look at.  

I still have issues watching Fred Savage as an adult, all I see is Kevin Arnold.  

Season 5 of Ray Donovan was the worst season of the entire show... turned me off a bit so I took a break from it.... Just now finishing up Season 6 and holy ****! Amazing job of reeling me back in for the finale! 

Definitely worth a watch for action/drama, etc.. Crazy Irish ****s.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Season 5 of Ray Donovan was the worst season of the entire show... turned me off a bit so I took a break from it.... Just now finishing up Season 6 and holy ****! Amazing job of reeling me back in for the finale! 

Definitely worth a watch for action/drama, etc.. Crazy Irish ****s.

Literally the same situation in our house LOL.  Love Ray Donovan, loyal followers since the show debuted in 2013.  But Season 5 with the flashback stuff was just so annoying, we stopped watching like halfway through the season.  Very disappointing.  Good to hear it returned to form in S6, maybe we'll muscle through S5 knowing that Showtime rights the ship S6.  

That's when Ray goes to NY, right?  I remember seeing trailers for it on Showtime

Edited by Chew

On 5/28/2019 at 10:05 AM, bcl05 said:

This!! Amazing television. 

Breaking Bad was really good, plus the setting was in my home town where I went to middle and high school back in the day. Avoided Weeds for so long. Due to some bad reviews back then. Figured what the hell. It is not bad... on season 2 right now. 

Just now, zskins said:

Breaking Bad was really good, plus the setting was in my home town where I went to middle and high school back in the day. Avoided Weeds for so long. Due to some bad reviews back then. Figured what the hell. It is not bad... on season 2 right now. 

Weeds is awesome bro, though it gets kinda dumb near the end. But that Milf weed................and milf..........

• Like 1