Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Guys I need recommendations on the next TV series I should start watching.

stoney26

Just now, Yohan said:

Just because the government is shut down, doesn't mean you guys can come here and wreck this thread...

I did a double-take like "Am I in the TV thread?"

@Chachie is that the one with Rashida Jones?  I actually watched an episode of that show randomly a few years ago and LOL'd a few times.  No idea why I didn't start watching it.

I first saw Cannavale as the bad guy on Boardwalk Empire, he was great.  He was good in Nurse Jackie with Edie Falco, too.  I think it's his face, but he's always casted to be a bad guy or an asshole :806:.  He was the bad guy in the Ant Man movies too

5 minutes ago, Chew said:

I did a double-take like "Am I in the TV thread?"

@Chachie is that the one with Rashida Jones?  I actually watched an episode of that show randomly a few years ago and LOL'd a few times.  No idea why I didn't start watching it.

I first saw Cannavale as the bad guy on Boardwalk Empire, he was great.  He was good in Nurse Jackie with Edie Falco, too.  I think it's his face, but he's always casted to be a bad guy or an asshole :806:.  He was the bad guy in the Ant Man movies too

Yes, Rashida Jones. Hilarious show. Like I said, very "Airplane" or "Naked Gun." Season 4 is out now. Her original partner Geils is gone now but Bobby Cannivale came on to play their son (who somehow grew to be older than Angie between seasons 3 and 4) and it's good stuff.  :)

• Like 1

Not sure what to do with this one.  I read the 3 books that it is based on or, rather, I read the first 2, which were great.  The 3rd book was the slowest, most boring **** ever and and put it down about 1/2 of the way through because it wasn't going anywhere.  

The books are also divided between pre-apocalypse and post-apocalypse and the trailer looks like it is only going to pre-apocalypse, which, while a decent story, misses the point of the narrative (and the monsters).

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Not sure what to do with this one.  I read the 3 books that it is based on or, rather, I read the first 2, which were great.  The 3rd book was the slowest, most boring **** ever and and put it down about 1/2 of the way through because it wasn't going anywhere.  

The books are also divided between pre-apocalypse and post-apocalypse and the trailer looks like it is only going to pre-apocalypse, which, while a decent story, misses the point of the narrative (and the monsters).

Get it together.  This is a thread about TV shows to watch, not about books to read.  You'll find the book suggestion thread buried in the abyss.

Where it belongs.

Don't need no damn reading round these parts.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I'm 6 episodes into Escape at Dannemora and this show is fantastic.  The acting in it is unreal and the camera work is just as good.  I will be finishing the last episode tonight probably.  I highly recommend this show to anyone who has Showtime.  Del Toro is incredible in it, as are the 2 other main actors (and everyone else pretty much).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, purbeast said:

I'm 6 episodes into Escape at Dannemora and this show is fantastic.  The acting in it is unreal and the camera work is just as good.  I will be finishing the last episode tonight probably.  I highly recommend this show to anyone who has Showtime.  Del Toro is incredible in it, as are the 2 other main actors (and everyone else pretty much).

Arquette was fantastic.

1 minute ago, Chachie said:

Arquette was fantastic.

I didn't even know who that was so I had to IMDB who it was, and yes, the acting job she does with Tilly is unreal.  Same with the guy who plays her husband Lyle.  I didn't even know who the actor was until I just saw him on IMDB and holy **** that guy has been in a ton of stuff.  He looks so different in this show.  He is up there as one of the best actors on the show too.  

I also don't know how this story ends in real life so after I finish it I want to see what everyone looked like in real life, if they don't show it at the end of the show.  Don't let me know either way though lol.

Edited by purbeast

12 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Loved it.  I'm not sure it's been mentioned in this thread at all since I posted the trailer months ago LOL. 

Ben Stiller may have found a second home behind the camera. 

32 minutes ago, purbeast said:

I didn't even know who that was so I had to IMDB who it was, and yes, the acting job she does with Tilly is unreal.  Same with the guy who plays her husband Lyle.  I didn't even know who the actor was until I just saw him on IMDB and holy **** that guy has been in a ton of stuff.  He looks so different in this show.  He is up there as one of the best actors on the show too.  

I also don't know how this story ends in real life so after I finish it I want to see what everyone looked like in real life, if they don't show it at the end of the show.  Don't let me know either way though lol.

Yeah Lyle was awesome.  :)

Maybe it's just the fact that the cancellations thoroughly pissed me off, maybe not.   I'm kinda tired. It took me forever to finish DD, part because I was caring for my dad at the time, part because news of the cancellations happened as I was still watching, and it just soured me a great deal.

Not sure I'm gonna be able to get up for Punisher

Edited by Mr. Sinister

On 1/3/2019 at 9:34 PM, Spaceman Spiff said:

Just watched Comedians of the World on NetFlix.  It's 4 standup comedians and for me, they put them in descending order, each set is about 30 minutes.

Neal Brennan - great performance, insightful, smart, funny

Chris D'Elia - kinda dumb but not too bad.  I think the best thing about Chris D'Elia is the eyebrow raise

Nicole Byer - just talks about how fat she is for about 20 minutes

Nick Swardson - couldn't get past the first three minutes, might be the worst I've seen in a long time

Neal Brennan is great.

D'Elia was a notch below.

Byer: yep, "I'm a fat girl"

Swardson: didn't think it was too bad

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Elessar78 said:

Neal Brennan is great.

D'Elia was a notch below.

Byer: yep, "I'm a fat girl"

Swardson: didn't think it was too bad

Swardson was, like, dick and fart jokes after the insightfulness and cleverness that Neal Brennan brought to the table.  I don't mind dick and fart jokes, but watching those two performances was like eating at a great steakhouse for lunch and then getting McDonald's for dinner.

4 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Swardson was, like, dick and fart jokes after the insightfulness and cleverness that Neal Brennan brought to the table.  I don't mind dick and fart jokes, but watching those two performances was like eating at a great steakhouse for lunch and then getting McDonald's for dinner.

right on. NB has a special on Spotify too-I was listening to it at work today and I was cracking up so much I had to close my office door.

• Like 1

Escape at Dannemora - 10/10 - such a fantastic show I highly recommend it.  I'm actually watching a show on demand right now that was on Oxygen called "Dannemora Prison Break" and it is incredible how accurate the show is, down to how the characters look and talk, down to the clothing they were wearing at specific parts.  It's pretty damn awesome, although there are some things that they changed completely, like the names of the children, and some other stuff.  

There were 2 things that I wouldn't say I didn't like about the show, but non-positives I would say...

1. At the end of episode 3 or 4, Del Toro tells Tilly the plan and at the very end he says "DONT TELL ANYOOOOOOOOOONNNNEEEE" in this very weird voice.  It just felt so odd and out of place, and I was like WTF? and so was Tilly and then the episode ends.

2. The 6th episode that is just a back story I could have done without.  I didn't really care about all of that.  And at the end of episode 5 where he escaped, I just wanted to see what happened next but instead we get this filler episode that is all back story.  The back story was very interesting though.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2019 at 6:31 PM, Spaceman Spiff said:

Or like getting invited to the White House for dinner, but being served McDonald's.

• Like 1