Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Guys I need recommendations on the next TV series I should start watching.

stoney26

On 9/10/2022 at 8:29 PM, NickyJ said:

the Halo

It’s entirely different from the games but I still enjoyed it. Had some good fight/battle scenes and is sort of setting up what you would expect a more traditional Halo story would be in season 2. 

On 9/10/2022 at 8:29 PM, NickyJ said:

I'm kind of hung up on Celebrimbor though. I don't know why, but every time I look at his face, I think of the Illusive Man from Mass Effect.

didn’t notice that but it’s spot on. Hilarious lol

one thing to note, Amazon doesn’t actually have the rights to the Silmarillion. They have the rights to like an index or something so they have to be careful about what they adapt and how so it doesn’t violate that and become a Silmarillion adaptation. That’s the biggest reason for some of the changes they’ve made.

I’m really liking it so far tho.  

Ep1 of the new Quantum Leap was just ok. I'm going ro give it time to unravel this season but they are going to need to give the secondary characters some more story because right now they are just checking off boxes (black boss, asian security woman, transgender computer person.). 

Edited by The Evil Genius

20 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

Ep1 of the new Quantum Leap was just ok. I'm going ro give it time to unravel this season but they are going to need to give the secondary characters some more story because right now they are just checking off boxes (black boss, asian security woman, transgender computer person.). 

I just watched it. I like it. And there are links to the original show.  There’s only so much you can do in 43 minutes.  I’m sure more backstory for the other characters will follow. Ghostbusters Ernie Hudson is in it.

20 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

16 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

I just watched it. I like it. And there are links to the original show.  There’s only so much you can do in 43 minutes.  I’m sure more backstory for the other characters will follow. Ghostbusters Ernie Hudson is in it.

I thought it was good, picking up where the original series did 30 years ago.  I just hope they find a way to work Sam (Scott B.) back into the reboot.

Late to the boat as usual, but I finally made time to binge 1883 and have 2 episodes to go. For a show that stars a country music couple as husband and wife, I'm kind of surprised (and thankful) they haven't sung a duet yet.

It reminds me a lot of Into the West, but where that show handled a wagon train in 1 episode, 1883 makes it into a 10 episode series. It handles it well, and I wish I had watched it sooner.

• Thumb up 1

4 hours ago, NickyJ said:

Late to the boat as usual, but I finally made time to binge 1883 and have 2 episodes to go. For a show that stars a country music couple as husband and wife, I'm kind of surprised (and thankful) they haven't sung a duet yet.

It reminds me a lot of Into the West, but where that show handled a wagon train in 1 episode, 1883 makes it into a 10 episode series. It handles it well, and I wish I had watched it sooner.

My wife and I are 5/10 episodes into the season.

I’ve never been much of a history buff…. but I did study the history of Osteopathy extensively - originated by American AT Still in the same time period in the Missouri/Kansas areas. And getting a feel for the time period and appreciation for that type of life and hardships has been really cool. 

Don’t like the narration from the perspective of a 17-year old girl…. but it’s not a deal breaker.

• Like 1

In the absence of starting a new show to binge, I'm just going to pick a random show to hate on. Today, it's Poldark.

Poldark initially caught my interest because without knowing anything about the books, it's a period drama set in Britain and following a former soldier who fought in the American Revolution. British accents, old clothes, mildly aristocratic character who has enough money to do whatever he wants within reason, and has a loving and devoted wife he married after the war. But period dramas walk a fine line when they're too fictional. Without anything historic to feed the plot, it gets turned into a soap opera very quickly. I suffered that realization when watching Downton Abbey and started looking beyond the old cars.

But Poldark is the worst kind of soap opera. It's a story about a man who has the power to change the world, but refuses to do so because it takes power to change it, and power corrupts. So he does nothing. "Mr. Poldark, I'm the very old and conservative judge for this county. We always disagree because of your liberal views that benefit the poor and destitute peasants who I barely acknowledge. But I respect you. I want you to take this seat so that the mustache-twirling villain who wants the job doesn't start cutting off people's hands for grabbing loaves of bread off the streets from fallen carts." I dun want it. "I will get on my hands and knees and beg you." I dun want it.

1 episode later, everyone is suffering but they feel happier for a few hours because Poldark goes out with his lovely wife to hand out loaves of bread to the starving villagers in his neighborhood who are in this situation because of the mustache-twirling villain being in charge.

A season later, it's a mayor's seat or something. Again, the person in power begs Poldark to take the job so that the mustache-twirling villain doesn't start persecuting people. But that would mean Poldark learning that you have to lift a finger to make a difference. Poldark can't do that, he's too odiously noble and pure to dirty himself with politics ; the peak of his concern is climbing on his soap box and asking "why won't somebody do something". Instead, he needs to take this time to have an affair with his ex, who married the mustache-twirling villain after the villain sent her previous husband, Poldark's brother, to an early grave.

I have no idea why I watched as much as I did before ditching it. But I need to get this out of my system. I'm thinking of watching The Crown, and I'm worried that I'm just getting myself into a soap opera.

Edited by NickyJ
  • Haha 2

On 8/31/2022 at 12:20 PM, gbear said:

I am reading the Expanse series, and then I saw the tv series.  So I started watching it, and it is good.  I like how they handle gravity and its lack in many of the scenes.  The plot line is well done.  Like most things though, I like the book better.  Note, I will keep watching it and reading it.  I am on book 4 of the books.  It looks like the series may only go through book 1, at least for the first season.  I have no idea if there are more seasons in the works.

I absolutely loved The Expanse. If you haven’t binged it into oblivion yet, I think you’re going to love watching everything develop.

We finally managed to finish season one of Severance and it didn’t disappoint. I really can’t wait to see season two. Interestingly, I didn’t realize it was a screen adaptation of a novel I read about a year ago. The show is very different and much better than the book.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, The Sisko said:

I absolutely loved The Expanse. If you haven’t binged it into oblivion yet, I think you’re going to love watching everything develop.

We finally managed to finish season one of Severance and it didn’t disappoint. I really can’t wait to see season two. Interestingly, I didn’t realize it was a screen adaptation of a novel I read about a year ago. The show is very different and much better than the book.

Severance is on my watch list. We just don’t currently have a subscription for the platform. Soon though.

Same with House of Dragon.

• Like 1

On 9/23/2022 at 1:48 AM, NickyJ said:

Aaaand wrapped up. Yellowstone doesn't sound like the kind of show I'd be into, but the spinoff hit me hard.

The narration did get kind jarring for how poetic a 17/18 year old can wax on the 19th century Oregon trail.

Yellowstone is on the same level as The Sopranos, The Wire, Breaking Bad, etc.  It's SSSSSSOOOOOOO good.  Took like 2-3 eps to suck me in but it's incredible.  Beth is one of the best characters to ever be on a TV show.

• Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Man LOTR just is not doing much for me.  I watched the 5th episode last night and still like don't know anyone's name in the show cause I don't care about anyone lol.  I'll finish out the season for sure since it's only 3 more eps but it's nowhere near on the level of GOT/HOTD.

1 hour ago, purbeast said:

Man LOTR just is not doing much for me.  I watched the 5th episode last night and still like don't know anyone's name in the show cause I don't care about anyone lol.  I'll finish out the season for sure since it's only 3 more eps but it's nowhere near on the level of GOT/HOTD.

Geez, it generally takes me at least 3 seasons before I care to learn the character’s names. 😂

LOTR is definitely a slow burn. But I kinda like it…. we kinda already know how it’ll end. So there’s no rush to the finish line… just build up the journey/story. I think season 2 will have all the action.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

Geez, it generally takes me at least 3 seasons before I care to learn the character’s names. 😂

LOTR is definitely a slow burn. But I kinda like it…. we kinda already know how it’ll end. So there’s no rush to the finish line… just build up the journey/story. I think season 2 will have all the action.

Gotta say though for a show with a budget of a billion dollars, the acting in the show is mad sus.  I expected much better acting in the show just due to that alone.

LOtR is a very different kind of story(ies).  Much less soap operaish than GOT but, at least with the books and prior movies, it's also much more allegorical.  We'll see what this show turns into but it was never going to be the incestuous sex and over the top violence and plotting of GOT.  I do find some of the acting to be little bit off.  Maybe that will sort itself.  I hope so.  

1 hour ago, purbeast said:

Gotta say though for a show with a budget of a billion dollars, the acting in the show is mad sus.  I expected much better acting in the show just due to that alone.

I don’t think it’ll be at all-time show… but it’s good enough. 🙂

Even Yellowstone has Wes Bentley (Jamie Dutton) who delivers a cringe worthy performance.