Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BUZZFEE: Applebee's Server Gets Stiffed By Pastor Who Gave Her Tip To God, Promptly Gets Fired By Applebee's

DisplacedRedskinsFan

I can't speak for that pastor, but I go by the rule, "If I got it, we all got it!" If God has blessed me with money and whatnot, what's the point of keeping it all to myself? At a restaurant, I will leave good tips. When someone outside 7-Eleven says, "Big man, you got any change." I give them a couple of bucks. It doesn't make me better than anybody, or make me feel any better about myself, I just feel it's the right thing to do. Aren't we supposed to help out our fellow humankind? :whoknows:

You are the man, ML.

~Bang

If it is a tip credit state - then the state has a $$ that is their tip credit (USUALLY half of Min wage - but it goes state by state).

Larrry is correct that the Restaurant however, must guarantee that the employee is making at least min wage, but only by pay period, not shift.

So if min wage is $8 in the state and I work 5 hours one day. Even if I'm only being paid $3 a hour and only got $20 in tips -I'm still owed nothing.

Now - if after a pay period, I worked a total of 40 hours and was paid $160 in wages and only $150 in tips, the restaurant must pay me $10 more. but it goes by pay period.

(OT rules are eve more complex. Its Min wage, multipile by the OT rate (usually Time and a half) minus tip credit. So if mn wage in your state is $8, your state tip credit is $4.00, you OT rate is NOT $6.00. Its $8. (8*1.5=12. 12-4=8).

If a server isnt making min wage, you cant just fire them, but you can look at a few things. Most places will quickly looked at record CC tips % vs declared cash tips. Point out that on CC tips (which are enterd into the system automatically) are avg 15%, but cash tips declared are avg 8%. That's clearly a sign.

to the issue at hand - This applesbees franchisee (And it was a franchises) was in the wrong, the pastor is a jerk.

Add me also. I can't stand having to figure out a tip. Just put it in the price. In my wife's home country of Peru, they pay the wait staff a good wage, have the price included and there is no tipping in her country.

You don't have a Tip Calculator on your phone?

My mom always told me a pretty good tip; say your bill is 20.00 bucks. You take ten percent of that ($2), then multiple that by 2 ($4) and that should roughly-ish get you to 20%.

My mom always told me a pretty good tip; say your bill is 20.00 bucks. You take ten percent of that ($2), then multiple that by 2 ($4) and that should roughly-ish get you to 20%.

I'm terrible in math and I just recently got an IPhone. I had a dinosaur phone before that, so some of us aren't into the latest and greatest phone gadget. I can estimate pretty good at what my tip percentage will be, but when you are sitting there and thinking, "was the service great, good or bad?," you tend to overthink it.

If you take 10% and double it that will always get you to exactly 20%, not roughly 20%.

Tipping question - what's the consensus of tipping on take out food (as in ordering over the phone and picking it up to bring home)? Tip or no tip?

I always give 3 or 4 bucks. That guy drove out in the rain to bring me my pizza.

My general tipping rule is the lower end the restaurant, the higher percentage I tip. 20 percent is the absolute minimum. If the meal was only 15 dollars, the person still did a lot of work, and I will tip, say, 5 or 6 bucks. It's not much to me and their job is hard and they don't make much.

On the other hand, on the rare occasion that we go to Chez Paul and the bill is 500 bucks, I don't feel obligated to leave an 100 dollar tip. That waitstaff is not hurting, and they certainly didn't work 20 times harder than the girl and busboy at Denny's.

I can't speak for that pastor, but I go by the rule, "If I got it, we all got it!" If God has blessed me with money and whatnot, what's the point of keeping it all to myself? At a restaurant, I will leave good tips. When someone outside 7-Eleven says, "Big man, you got any change." I give them a couple of bucks. It doesn't make me better than anybody, or make me feel any better about myself, I just feel it's the right thing to do. Aren't we supposed to help out our fellow humankind? :whoknows:

I'm always torn on the panhandler thing. We have a metric ton of panhandlers in San Francisco, and a lot of them (not all) are just lazy bums who travelled here from other place because our weather is good and the people are easy marks. I hate to be the uncharitable one, but I can't help but feel that I am enabling an unhealthy and unproductive lifestyle when I give a healthy young man some money. Now, if the person is missing a leg or is mentally deficient or something, I feel differently.

Some liberal I am. :(

---------- Post added February-1st-2013 at 12:03 PM ----------

I think he means situations where you go to the place to pick up your food. Not ordering delivery pizza.

Oh, whoops. :doh:

Yeah, those guys get a buck in the jar.

I'm always torn on the panhandler thing. We have a metric ton of panhandlers in San Francisco, and a lot of them (not all) are just lazy bums who travelled here from other place because our weather is good and the people are easy marks. I hate to be the uncharitable one, but I can't help but feel that I am enabling an unhealthy and unproductive lifestyle when I give a healthy young man some money. Now, if the person is missing a leg or is mentally deficient or something, I feel differently.

Some liberal I am. :(

I am with you. In my neighborhood 7-Eleven, I know who are the lazy ones and who really needs it. It has gotten to the point where some of them know not to ask me because they know I know they will just go get some beer.

One dude did walk up to me and told me it was his birthday and he needed a drink... What he didn't know was that I was in the car the week before when he used the same line on my sister. :ols:

I am with you. In my neighborhood 7-Eleven, I know who are the lazy ones and who really needs it. It has gotten to the point where some of them know not to ask me because they know I know they will just go get some beer.

One dude did walk up to me and told me it was his birthday and he needed a drink... What he didn't know was that I was in the car the week before when he used the same line on my sister. :ols:

Once I was hitting an ATM one evening and had a guy come up to me with a long sob story about how he was on a 24 hour pass from a nearby naval air station and he lost his wallet and now needed exactly $13.20 to take regional transit back to his base and he was going to be in so much trouble if he didn't check in by midnight and if I wrote down my name and address for him he would send the money back to me etc. He was a good actor, I was a softie, I gave it to him.

About ten days later he tried the same story on me at the same ATM. I just started laughing. He started into a set spiel of hurt and outrage at my lack of support for the troops before he realized that I was laughing because I had already been one of his marks. :ols:

Once I was hitting an ATM one evening and had a guy come up to me with a long sob story about how he was on a 24 hour pass from a nearby naval air station and he lost his wallet and now needed exactly $13.20 to take regional transit back to his base and he was going to be in so much trouble if he didn't check in by midnight and if I wrote down my name and address for him he would send the money back to me etc. He was a good actor, I was a softie, I gave it to him.

About ten days later he tried the same story on me at the same ATM. I just started laughing. He started into a set spiel of hurt and outrage at my lack of support for the troops before he realized that I was laughing because I had already been one of his marks. :ols:

Should have offered to give him money the pay phone and see what he said.

When I worked in a restaurant, my $2.13 per hour wage ended up only covering my taxes. I'd get my paychecks every couple weeks and they'd usually be a dollar or two. Maybe more if I worked long hours without taking home a bunch of tips. 100 % of my income came from tips. It's tough. Being able to pay your rent and buy groceries absolutely depends on the largesse of others, most of whom don't realize the role of the tip. On slow days, or when I got the smoking section, It'd be a 6 hour shift where I'd make 20 dollars. That's not liveable. I know I made less than that in a shift before. So next time you go out to eat, realize what your tip means to the waitstaff. And honestly, if you have to stiff someone because you ran out of money or whatever, I'd apologize on the check. It feels horrible getting stiffed, it'd feel better knowing it wasn't anything you did.

When I go to bars just to drink I usually tip way over any standard percentage because my checks are small and it takes a decent amount of service. A lot of times I go in expecting to spend about X amount and I'll tip 40 or 50% and hit that amount because I had budgeted it. Big tips like that aren't too much of a sacrifice to me but it feels really damn good when you're a server and you get one.

But the tip is always automatically added for large parties. And the restaurant will usually tell you as much before they serve you, but at the very least it's written on the menu and it's ****ing common knowledge to anyone who's not a complete dumbass.

What I couldn't understand is the woman saying she crossed out the automatically-added gratuity (as if it just a suggestion) and then was surprised when they charged her anyway. Excuse me, lady, have you NEVER BEEN TO A ****ING RESTAURANT BEFORE?!?!

Yeah, that's how I am too. If I picked the food up, I'm not giving 10-15% or anything. I'll drop a buck or two in the jar if they have one, but the receipt is being zeroed out. When you stop to think about it, it's interesting how many things have tipping, not that it's required, but just accepted. Food service, barbershops, hotels, heck even the newspaper delivery guy (when we got the paper) had the Christmas envelope. Tipping is pretty much everywhere now, and if I've heard correctly, the concept is pretty unusual in other countries.

I am afraid of the tip jar. I fear the Constanza situation, where you give a tip but no one see you give it

---------- Post added February-1st-2013 at 01:40 PM ----------

Let's just come out and say it. There is a culturally dysfunctional notion among many in African-American society that tipping is for suckers. Is it exclusive to blacks? No. Is it more prevalent among blacks? Ask someone you know who has worked for any length of time as a waiter.

I always thought foreigners where the worst....especially Europeans

I always thought foreigners where the worst....especially Europeans

I think a lot of that is the difference in cultural norms surrounding tipping and jobs that, in the US, involve tipping. IIRC in most European countries servers get paid a regular salary and tipping just isn't really done in general. Even a server will give you a weird look over there if you leave a tip after eating. So I don't think it is malicious as far as Europeans; they aren't usually being cheapskates, they just don't know any better. That being said, its usually a good idea to research stuff like that before you go to another country.

As far as my personal experiences from my time as a waiter, I definitely had a couple of times where a church group would leave bible tracts instead of tips. And they were generally pretty big tables and tended to get ****y easily as well. Getting stiffed on a tip really sucks, especially on a large table. I also had a guy leave me no tip once because he was there with his girlfriend and she was flirting with me. :ols:

I'd be interested in knowing more about what exactly the Truth and World Deliverance Ministry is. This, apparently, is the church that Mrs. Bell is a Pastor in. It's in St. Louis.

I don't know, but a google search found this: https://www.facebook.com/WDOMChurch

"ALERT: This is World Deliverance Outreach Ministries of Chandler Arizona where PASTOR CHRIS HOLMES is Senior Pastor. We are in no way affiliated with the Pastor that left the message to the waitress in St. Louis. PLEASE BE ADVISED WE ARE IN NO WAY ASSOCIATED WITH THIS INCIDENT. God Bless."

poor guys.

Archived