Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BUZZFEE: Applebee's Server Gets Stiffed By Pastor Who Gave Her Tip To God, Promptly Gets Fired By Applebee's

DisplacedRedskinsFan

I am still in shock, and pretty disgusted, over how many people will squabble over a few dollars in a tip (as most of us aren't dining a extremely high end restaurants that often :) ). Seriously, the amount of arguing this story has created is laughable...kind of.

1. The pastor is not a good person and through her actions, puts Christianity in a terrible light.

2. The waitress had to be disciplined/fired for posting financial information on the internet (even though she was wronged in a degrading fashion).

3. If you're a cheapskate who doesn't want to throw down a few bucks to your waitress who served you your meal, don't go out to eat.

And that concludes this lesson in rocket science.

**** this cheap ass **** -pastor my ass he wants everyone fired? Hope he rots in hell with the pastor and congregation of the Westboro baptist church! **** Applebees too for firing her - I will not go there again.
It was a "she". And, IIRC, the one that got fired isn't the same person that waited on her. It was a co-worker of hers. And while I agree it was a terrible thing for the pastor to do, you can't post someone's personal info on the internet like that. They definitely deserved to be fired, imo.

It was a "she". And, IIRC, the one that got fired isn't the same person that waited on her. It was a co-worker of hers. And while I agree it was a terrible thing for the pastor to do, you can't post someone's personal info on the internet like that. They definitely deserved to be fired, imo.

I think people have lost touch with even who did what in this case! I'm not even sure not leaving a tip rises to the level of "terrible thing" to do. I would reserve that for more egregious behavior. Poor form. Rude. Inconsiderate. Those words seem a little more appropriate to me at least.

I think people have lost touch with even who did what in this case! I'm not even sure not leaving a tip rises to the level of "terrible thing" to do. I would reserve that for more egregious behavior. Poor form. Rude. Inconsiderate. Those words seem a little more appropriate to me at least.
Nah, not leaving a tip is definitely a terrible thing. That goes beyond all those things you said. And as many have stated in this thread, if you (people, in general) can't afford to tip when you go out, or are too stupid to do so, then don't go out. It's pretty simple

I think people deserve to be held accountable for what they do. That pastor seemed pretty proud of her cleverness when she wrote that comment on the receipt, funny how now she's embarrassed. I know, the customer is always right and all that mess, but rule #1 of the food service industry is that you do not screw with the people who serve your food. Her fault for not understanding that. If that's her attitude, then I just wish every restaurant in that area would now know her on a first name basis.

Nah, not leaving a tip is definitely a terrible thing. That goes beyond all those things you said. And as many have stated in this thread, if you (people, in general) can't afford to tip when you go out, or are too stupid to do so, then don't go out. It's pretty simple

I dunno, terrible's a pretty strong word.

If not tipping someone is terrible, what word do you use for actual crimes?

(Don't say "criminal" or "illegal" you tailgate wiseasses.) :silly:

I think people deserve to be held accountable for what they do. That pastor seemed pretty proud of her cleverness when she wrote that comment on the receipt, funny how now she's embarrassed. I know, the customer is always right and all that mess, but rule #1 of the food service industry is that you do not screw with the people who serve your food. Her fault for not understanding that. If that's her attitude, then I just wish every restaurant in that area would now know her on a first name basis.
Sure, people should be held accountable for their actions, but in this instance, the waiter, or the person who posted the ticket online, didn't do the right thing either. Two wrongs don't make a right?

Like I said earlier, you can't change stupid. The pastor was stupid to write the note. But the person who posted her personal info online isn't any better than her. Sometimes you just gotta be the better person and walk away. I constantly am reminding myself of that everyday.

Secondly, I don't know if it's been asked in this thread, but what should you do if you don't have the money to give good tips?

if you can afford a $20 steak, you can afford a few bucks for a tip.

if you cant, buy a steak and cook it yourself.

---------- Post added February-4th-2013 at 08:23 AM ----------

I wonder how many of these outrage posts came from ****ty service? Not that stiffing the server is ever OK.

oh, i wouldnt say its 'never' ok to 'stiff' the server.

years ago, i got such horrible service at an outback, i literally didnt leave a tip. server took our order and i didnt see her again til about an hour later when i had to track her down to get my check. had to get up and ask random servers for basic things like actual silverware. it wasnt bad service, it was non existent. never done that before or since, even though i have had plenty of crappy service. and i'm not even a high maintenance customer.. i'm easy as hell to please.

and i spent several years working as a server for a couple of different restaurants.

Like many folks with advanced degrees these days, I am considering a shift to the server industry, and perhaps pizza delivery in particular---though I'd have to get rid of the Hummer to save on gas.

I appreciate hearing what the tips are like out there (personally, I'm a big tipper).

That's all I need. Some psychological analysis offered on my doorstep based on the toppings I ordered.

I'm a sausage lover.

---------- Post added February-2nd-2013 at 08:10 PM ----------[/size]

[/color]Regarding the Walmart hypothetical-

If Walmart lowered all prices by 15-18% and implemented a system where an employee pushed your cart around' date=' offered advice on purchases, helped you find things, and checked you out directly from your cart without having to wait in line then yes, I'd tip that employee my standard 20% or more if I was being a pain with my "order" or they were exceptionally helpful.

Hell, that sounds like a nice shopping experience.[/quote']

Some of you might be too young to remember when they had ladies stationed at the fitting rooms of department stores, even JCPenney, to get you a different size if you needed, etc. The last time I tried on clothes in Macy's was years ago, the fitting room was filthy and the ceiling fans were so covered in dust and dirt it was hard to believe I was in a Macy's--but they have great sales! I just buy what I want now, try it on at home, and return/exchange what doesn't fit.

Service is a dying institution. And that's sad.

When I first saw the receipt I thought she meant to say 100%. I didn't even think of it in terms of money for some reason, I guess because she ended up not giving any tip. Not even 10%.

Also with regard to "shaming" the tipper, I don't see any issue. Who actually outed the pastor? Did someone else recognize her signature/name, or did she come forward first? Regardless, once you write something like that I think you're asking for attention. It's a prickish thing to do so I don't feel one bit bad for her being called out. Especially when I'm pretty sure the Applebees menu says that 18% gratuity will automatically be added to your bill for parties of 8 or more.

And she can easily get another server job. She'll be fine.

I just spent the last 10 min reading through the article regarding thousands of negative comments posted on Applebee's official Facebook page. Can't stop laughing. That's one of the worst corporate social media responses I have EVER seen. Who the hell runs Applebee's PR dept??? That's hilarious!

I was reading about this the other day and fell down an "internet rabbit hole."

After 20-30 minutes of reading dozens of random articles, I kept coming across mentions that Applebee's doesn't cook the food in-house, but instead microwaves frozen food that was cooked and shipped from a central location. Essentially, a place like Applebees is a glorified microwave dinner.

That got me searching on that issue and found that it is pretty well known that many national chains don't cook the food. Even things like steaks.

I don't eat at Applebees and Chillis - but I at least thought they cooked food. Strange.

Wow, those facebook and twitter threads are hilarious. :ols:

To top it off, that PR drone self-righteously argued with posters by insisting the waitress had not actually been stiffed. Which is true. Despite the fact that that witch of a pastor clearly signalled her intent to not pay the tip, despite the fact that she clearly authorized a charge of only the original check amount and not a penny more, Applebys took it upon themselves to put through the charge for the amount they wanted instead of what the customer authorized. And the pastor was pissed, complaining later that she was charged the 18% tip she had clearly removed before signing the receipt. What a fuster cluck.

I particularly enjoyed a few things:

1. How the geniuses in the Applebee's PR department felt it necessary to respond to an extraordinary number of complaints on their facebook page.

2. The fact that these responses were posted at 3 AM.

3. The PR department going on to TAG individual posts and trying to respond to those 1000's of tagged posts :ols:

4. The PR department then saying "**** it" and deleting all negative posts, creating an even bigger uproar from facebook posters and an influx of 1000's of more pissed off posts.

5. The lawyer asking on facebook what state this occured in and proceeding to offer the waitress his legal services. :ols:

• 1 month later...

Archived