Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins 2013 Salary Cap (Check OP for Updates)

rick7423

I hope he'll stop talking about it and will finally tell us how is he going to fight it.

The fact that they are not talking about it may mean they actually are fighting it. Lawyers don't like their strategy in the press. Frankly, they might be more vocal if they rolled over. Additionally, why twist the knife or rub salt in their own wound by bringing it up if they are just accepting their fate. It certainly is a hot button with their ardent fans (which could be the answer, I guess)

The fact that they are not talking about it may mean they actually are fighting it. Lawyers don't like their strategy in the press. Frankly, they might be more vocal if they rolled over. Additionally, why twist the knife or rub salt in their own wound by bringing it up if they are just accepting their fate. It certainly is a hot button with their ardent fans (which could be the answer, I guess)

Probably, but I think the NFL does have very good lawyers too, and I believe there is only one way to fight it (if there is a reliable way), and Maradell already knows it. Florio wrote an interesting article about it. This story reminds me of Scheffter saying that we might get some cap relief without any detail or logic. Time's up, the deadline is March 12.

Cap hell had nothing to do with the Skins not valuing the draft is my point. Depth is built from the draft and the Skins lacked the necessary picks and system in place to draft "system fitting players".

Didn't say it did but not valuing the draft did have a lot to do with why we were in cap hell.

In terms of anyone telling "us" what they're going to do. I think that's total bull****. Just like anything else gossip related going on in the NFL. If anyone finds out anything it's because the information is sold. It's truly pathetic that social media forces people like RG3 to have to tell his idiotic fan following that he's "Not going to risk his health to start week 1" ... we literally beat dead horses over and over and over. And then when he says that people are like "OMG THANK THE LORD!! HE'S NOT GOING TO PUSH HIMSELF TO HARD!!! OMG THANKS BUT OUR TURF STILL SUCKS"

Social media, idiots, free speech...all that combined doesn't always look pretty.

So, how creative can the FO get with player contracts? With the $18million theft of cap money, can player contracts for 2013 be structured in such a way that almost all of the money is pushed into 2014 & beyond? For example, let's say they want to resign Zo to a total contract value of $3million for 3 years. In 2013, they sign him to $1. Not $1million, just $1.00 USD. Then in 2014 & 2015 they split the balance to pay Zo the total.

Obviously, I'm no cap expert but was just curious to the types of monetary games the FO can play with cap space & contracts.

So, how creative can the FO get with player contracts? With the $18million theft of cap money, can player contracts for 2013 be structured in such a way that almost all of the money is pushed into 2014 & beyond? For example, let's say they want to resign Zo to a total contract value of $3million for 3 years. In 2013, they sign him to $1. Not $1million, just $1.00 USD. Then in 2014 & 2015 they split the balance to pay Zo the total.

Obviously, I'm no cap expert but was just curious to the types of monetary games the FO can play with cap space & contracts.

There is a minimum salary in the NFL so they can't go that extreme but yeah the expectation is that some contracts will be a lower (not leage minimum low) for 2013 and then higher in 14 and beyond to compensate for the cap penalty.

Cannot sign a guy to a $1.00 salary, Zoe's minimum is 715K also much guaranteed money is dependent on the sum of the salaries. What usually occurs is that the minimum salary is paid the first couple of years along with pro-ratable bonus money. This keeps the cap utilization down as long as that player is on the roster. It can get sticky because now you may HAVE to keep a guy even if it might be better options from a performance standpoint to move on,

I think we would try to design contracts in the way that contracts like AH's and Hall's were designed. Basically, a relatively large amount of back end guarantees that can be bought out by a roster bonus and/or a huge salary increase. This allows us to structure the payout such that cap utilization is optimized for the situation without to strongly effecting cash flow issues The main drawback is if future cap available is not what is expected and you may not be able to buy out the contract to take the hit in one year so you end up having to keep them. It was that we placed the bet that 2010 would be uncapped and thus could dump a lot of money into it that got us into trouble (but mostly due to guys we cut in 2011). Another option is to structure a long-term deal with back end guarantees that can be voided but only at the price of the guaranteed money, The main drawback here is if the player is great and decides he'd like to play in the open market or if the player sucks and decides not to void his deal.

• 3 weeks later...
As of today, the Skins have not trimmed any money from their 2013 cap, and last weekends signings have put them at least to the $7M over cap position.

Trying to get more details on the deals.

I know Rich Tandler has stated this, but seeing Korys/Logan/DY/Sundbergs contract, I dont know how we are over by that much.

We were 2.5ish (from my account) before the signings. I believe each other those contracts have anywhere from a $600k - $1M cap hit.

We should be around even or a $1M to $2M over. I don't see how we are $7M over, unless he is taking our rookie pool into account.

Hall, Moss and Carriker cuts will certainly be turning us in the right direction.

I think Moss will restructure for sure if asked. He seems "all in" with RGlll. I also think we really need him if we plan on winning in the future. Carriker is replaceable.

So I've heard we are somewhere in the neighborhood of 4 mill over the CAP, and I presume thats after the 18 mill penalty. With the release of Hall's 7.5 mill are we now 3 mill under?

This is what I thought. I remember someone talking on ESPN (thought it was Schefter) that said all of Hall's contract counts toward the cap. So getting that 7-8 mil back should put us under by a decent amount.

So I've heard we are somewhere in the neighborhood of 4 mill over the CAP, and I presume thats after the 18 mill penalty. With the release of Hall's 7.5 mill are we now 3 mill under?

As I understood it, we were 4 million over cap when the cap was supposed to remain at the $120.9M, but it went up to $123M, so the $4M changed to $1.6M over cap.

With Jamal Brown going away, and loosing Hall, this should adjust to about (a total guess) $6M under (no idea how much dead cap Hall created, Brown at $3.3M). I have no idea how the recent signings affected the cap space. I still cannot get any good reliable numbers to present the truth. If someone has some, please share.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...fairness-bruc/

Bruce Allen, the Washington Redskins‘ executive vice president and general manager, blasted the NFL Monday on the eve of free agency for the retroactive salary cap penalty handed down last spring.

Calling the $36 million penalty that was split between the 2012 and 2013 seasons a “travesty of fairness,” Allen said the team is still hoping to recover some portion of the $18 million docked by the league for the upcoming season. He didn’t specify how that might occur but ruled out suing the NFL.

“We have never contemplated a lawsuit,” Allen said at a news conference at Redskins Park. “… But we’ll always look at our options.”

He wouldn’t specify what the remaining options might be, but said he didn’t look at the penalty as something that would be entirely negated.

Yes this situation sucks. But there is a silver lining in all this. Since we are forced by the league to have a cap that is 18 million less than the rest of the league, that's the equivalent of us being 18 million under the cap if our salary cap was normal. So as of the start of next off season when the penalty is lifted we'll be at least 18 million under the cap and in prime position to be major players in free agency next year.

Yes this situation sucks. But there is a silver lining in all this. Since we are forced by the league to have a cap that is 18 million less than the rest of the league, that's the equivalent of us being 18 million under the cap if our salary cap was normal. So as of the start of next off season when the penalty is lifted we'll be at least 18 million under the cap and in prime position to be major players in free agency next year.

There is always a silver lining.

i just wonder how Dan Snyder is taking all of this.

Archived