Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins 2013 Salary Cap (Check OP for Updates)

rick7423

I disagree strongly on Gomes. I thought he played very well in the second half. And frankly, I'd rather release Merriweather and Doughty save their salaries. Though Doughty does always find a way to stay on.

I would also work on extending Orakpo, but re-working it so his salary next year is lower, and adjust Trent Williams' salary. It's significantly lower than last year over the next few years. It was eight digits this year, somthing like 11-13 million. If we can afford that last year we can afford it on a year with a full cap. So, bump him down a few million next year and tack it on later.

I disagree strongly on Gomes. I thought he played very well in the second half. And frankly, I'd rather release Merriweather and Doughty save their salaries. Though Doughty does always find a way to stay on.

You sure you're not thinking of someone else?

Because he barely played. He was getting fewer and fewer snaps, the coaches did not like his performance.

Week 13 - 32% of defensive snaps

Week 14 - 18% of defensive snaps

Week 15 - 17% of defensive snaps

Week 16 - 12% of defensive snaps

Week 17 - Did not enter the game

Playoff game - Only played special teams

---------- Post added February-4th-2013 at 07:03 PM ----------

I would also work on extending Orakpo, but re-working it so his salary next year is lower, and adjust Trent Williams' salary. It's significantly lower than last year over the next few years. It was eight digits this year, somthing like 11-13 million. If we can afford that last year we can afford it on a year with a full cap. So, bump him down a few million next year and tack it on later.

Orakpo is too risky to do this early because of his pectoral problems.

Trent's contract is basically already restructured for us. If we try and restructure it so soon, the cap hit would become MONSTROUS in later years. It would kill our team.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-redskins/trent-williams/

This word restructure is how we got into cap hell in the first place during Gibbs and Vinny years. Now we are going through restructures again, making the back end of alot of our player salaries a nightmare.

Now I know Allen is the cap man but lets be more frugal and smart this time around instead of doing the same thing again that eventually led to the $36m penalty we are in now.

Tone down the spending and target only the needs based on the $$$ we have available. Lets absorb the $18m cap hit and emerge from next year intact and ready to spend and move forward.

This word restructure is how we got into cap hell in the first place during Gibbs and Vinny years. Now we are going through restructures again, making the back end of alot of our player salaries a nightmare.

Now I know Allen is the cap man but lets be more frugal and smart this time around instead of doing the same thing again that eventually led to the $36m penalty we are in now.

Tone down the spending and target only the needs based on the $$$ we have available. Lets absorb the $18m cap hit and emerge from next year intact and ready to spend and move forward.

that would be fine except we have basically no $$$ available right now

The 2nd contract signed by McNabb had ZERO effect on our cap. We haven't paid McNugget anything the last 2 years. You're wrong on this. Haynesworth on the other hand....

I never said anything on Cap space, he asked when the last spending spree was ;)

Point being, this cap penalty will allow the team to develop talent and have cap room when the team is really ready to compete.

Griffin has a good season, and the Vinnie in the board rears it's ugly head. Go get him Danny, lets break out the Redskins One tracker.

I like the cap penalty. We actually have to act like a real NFL franchise and have a budget and plan carefully who to pick up :-)

I never said anything on Cap space, he asked when the last spending spree was ;)

Point being, this cap penalty will allow the team to develop talent and have cap room when the team is really ready to compete.

Griffin has a good season, and the Vinnie in the board rears it's ugly head. Go get him Danny, lets break out the Redskins One tracker.

I like the cap penalty. We actually have to act like a real NFL franchise and have a budget and plan carefully who to pick up :-)

So you want the current regime hogtied on purpose, to protect it from itself. Zero confidence in the guys in charge then?

Why not increase the penalty then, since that'll mean Superbowl right? Maybe we don't even need a full 53 man roster, that'd really force us to choose wisely on personnel.

Long story short, your mantra about how good this penalty is ****ing bugs the everlovin' **** out of me.

So you want the current regime hogtied on purpose, to protect it from itself. Zero confidence in the guys in charge then?

Why not increase the penalty then, since that'll mean Superbowl right? Maybe we don't even need a full 53 man roster, that'd really force us to choose wisely on personnel.

Long story short, your mantra about how good this penalty is ****ing bugs the everlovin' **** out of me.

As I posted earlier for your review, it's the kid in the candy store syndrome. It's irresistible. I would be curious if any GM/Coach in the NFL has cart blanch to spend whatever possible as long as it fits into the cap.

It's not about trust, it's about boundaries. If I were king, I would have Danny make boundaries with the FA splash. Even Gibbs II was soiled by the open check book.

And trust me, the free agent train was ready to roll had the penalty not hit. So the people in charge showed they were prepared to spend.

Our team is not in a position where we need a gaggle of free agents to make the superbowl. We really are in year 1 of establishing a new tradition.

Cap hell(not the current punishment) did not result from restructuring under Cerrato. Cap hell resulted from signing the wrong guys, guys so bad they had to be cut, so that massive amounts ended up moved forward, instead of with them able to restructure at the end of their contracts, or simply be let go with no real consequences. None of the guys people are talking about extending are so old that their careers won't reach that long, or playing that poorly.

The Redskins have players to re-sign or we will have more holes to fill, and I would say we could use 3-5 new guys beyond them. Now the draft could provide new talent, but with the top pick gone I think it's presumptuous to expect more than two impact guys from it, and it will have to also fill any new holes we get from losing people.

Orakpo is too risky to do this early because of his pectoral problems.

Trent's contract is basically already restructured for us. If we try and restructure it so soon, the cap hit would become MONSTROUS in later years. It would kill our team.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-redskins/trent-williams/

I wouldn't say Rak is "too risky".

He was injured late in the year last year (was it the last game?), and probably rushed back for this season. Then he reinjured it early in the year. He'll basically have a full year of recovery before the next time he sees the field. He'll be fine.

I wouldn't say Rak is "too risky".

He was injured late in the year last year (was it the last game?), and probably rushed back for this season. Then he reinjured it early in the year. He'll basically have a full year of recovery before the next time he sees the field. He'll be fine.

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping. But he's torn it twice, and pectoral tears are supposed to be recurring. I remember that he strained it in the preseason, maybe he just rushed back from it. He could also stand to change the way he reaches with one arm and power them down, that's been how he's torn it everytime that I can think of.

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping. But he's torn it twice, and pectoral tears are supposed to be recurring. I remember that he strained it in the preseason, maybe he just rushed back from it. He could also stand to change the way he reaches with one arm and power them down, that's been how he's torn it everytime that I can think of.

At the same time too, we've now seen players come back from these pec injuries and be fine. D'Qwell Jackson has done it in Cleveland and looks fine out there

You bring up a valid point. However, I think it's a perfect time to lock him up for 4 or 5 more years. His 2 injuries give us some leverage to make it a reasonable deal. Yes, it's a risk, but a risk I'd be willing to take as well. He could breakout for 15 sacks this year and then we'll be saying it's a good thing we locked him up last off-season (saved a lot of $$)

Did the Skins ever experience "cap hell" or was it more to do with media and other fans being flummoxed by the Skin's ability to spend year after year?

Im starting to think that a major contributer on our team is going to have to be cut!

Even if we restructure Moss and Hall and Release J. Brown, that improves our cap position by about 7 million. which would bring us to about 3 million under the cap. Ok... That may leave us just about enough to sign our rookies.

Now the problem: Our unsigned FA

Cedric Griffin______________ 3rd Corner

Rob Jackson ______________Orakpo Insurance

Lorenzo Alexander__________O.M.G (one man gang)

Sav Rocca

Nick Sundberg

Madieu Williams____________Starting Safety

Kory Lichtensteiger__________Starting Guard

Tyler Polumbus_____________Starting Tackle

Darrel Young_______________Starting Fullback

Rex Grossman______________Possible number 2 to start the season

Fred Davis_________________Starting Tight End

Some of our free agents we could live without, but their replacements arent going to play for free, So we have 6 starting positions to resign/replace! plus punter and long snapper.

8 major positions, which doesnt even include resigning Lorenzo Alexander or Rob Jackson

Is it as bad as it looks on paper, and if so why is this not getting more attention? Anyone have a more positive outlook they could share?

Im starting to think that a major contributer on our team is going to have to be cut!

Even if we restructure Moss and Hall and Release J. Brown, that improves our cap position by about 7 million. which would bring us to about 3 million under the cap. Ok... That may leave us just about enough to sign our rookies.

Now the problem: Our unsigned FA

Cedric Griffin______________ 3rd Corner

Rob Jackson ______________Orakpo Insurance

Lorenzo Alexander__________O.M.G (one man gang)

Kai Forbath?

Sav Rocca

Nick Sundberg

Madieu Williams____________Starting Safety

Kory Lichtensteiger__________Starting Guard

Tyler Polumbus_____________Starting Tackle

Darrel Young_______________Starting Fullback

Rex Grossman______________Possible number 2 to start the season

Fred Davis_________________Starting Tight End

Some of our free agents we could live without, but their replacements arent going to play for free, So we have 6 starting positions to resign/replace! plus kicker, punter, long snapper.

9 major positions, which doesnt even include resigning Lorenzo Alexander or Rob Jackson

Is it as bad as it looks on paper, and if so why is this not getting more attention? Anyone have a more positive outlook they could share?

I've had some of the same thoughts. I will say that Young and R. Jackson (thought Forbath was still signed?) are the only two I think we really need back. Several others are guys that I'd love to have back, but I think we could make do without.

Although we don't have many big restructures possible, I think we have a bunch we can work to shave 1-2 mil off this year (if they're willing). Add this to the cuts and bigger restrucures and my hope/impression is that we have enough to re-sign several of our guys and sign a starting FS (and sign our draft picks of course).

I've had some of the same thoughts. I will say that Young and R. Jackson (thought Forbath was still signed?) are the only two I think we really need back. Several others are guys that I'd love to have back, but I think we could make do without.

I agree we could make do without some of our FA's but they will still have to be replaced. After the money is spent resigning Young and Jackson though, That still leaves Nickle Corner, Starting Safety, Starting Right Tackle, Starting Guard, Starting Tight End, and Punter to be addressed. Not to mention Lorenzo Alexander. There are 6-8 positions where we will have to pay starter money for. I dont know that there are enough candidates for restructuring beyond Hall and Moss (+ releasing J. Brown) which Ive already accounted 7 million of relief for...

---------- Post added February-5th-2013 at 01:12 AM ----------

This might be a stupid question (since I really don't know):

Are coaches salary part of the salary cap?

If so, I wonder how much they will pay the new Specials Teams' coach?

Coach Salaries are not counted against the salary cap.

I agree we could make do without some of our FA's but they will still have to be replaced. After the money is spent resigning Young and Jackson though, That still leaves Nickle Corner, Starting Safety, Starting Right Tackle, Starting Guard, Starting Tight End, and Punter to be addressed. Not to mention Lorenzo Alexander. There are 6-8 positions where we will have to pay starter money for. I dont know that there are enough candidates for restructuring beyond Hall and Moss (+ releasing J. Brown) which Ive already accounted 7 million of relief for...

---------- Post added February-5th-2013 at 01:12 AM ----------

True enough. I do wonder what we could do with guys like Cofield, Bowen, Morgan, etc. but I'm no cap buff either.

I don't think restrusturing DHall's contract is wise in term of cap hit, it's only going to push more cap money into future years. The Ravens are for example in this kind of situation with 13 UFAs (most of them being key players) and being $5 millions under the cap.

Fletcher is due a bunch of money, I think something like 7M. He still has some guaranteed money, but we could free up a few million that way. LL56 already mentioned that there was no way we were paying out what his contract states, he costs too much for it and we liked K. Robinson too much.

If my understanding is correct, we carry over 4M from this year wiping out the 4M we are currently over to start with a wash. We then restructure Hall and Fletcher, and either cut-and-resign Moss or restructure. We then cut Brown. I wouldn't be surprised if we freed up enough to have 10M in cap space from those moves.

I also have a feeling 2 or 3 of K. Williams, Royster, Helu, and Briscoe will be gone, which should go 1-for-1, or a little better, with draft picks.

It's not easy math, but I don't think it's impossible either. None of our FAs are big contract guys, except maybe Davis, but punters are super cheap and everyone else is a $1-2M kind of guy, nothing more. If we can limit cap hits on re-signed guys to around 1.5M each, and hopefully getting Davis signed long term allowing us to limit his cap hit to around 3M, that would make re-signings not too terrible.

My feeling is that we should offer Davis a Celek type contract, basically giving him around 3-4M a year. I think so far he and Celek have been pretty comparable, though my gut says Davis is better when given the opportunity, though he hasn't been able to show it due to his suspension and injury.

Young, Jackson, Zo, Lich at 1.5M each for 6M total, and Davis at around 3M, and a punter for under 500K (punters are super cheap), means re-signing all the major guys for around 9.5M. With another couple cuts or restructures, we should be able to sign draft picks too.

And for what it's worth, LL56 said the FO likes Compton. I don't know if I'm comfy with that, but I'll defer to them. Nickel corner is likely fine too, probably either going to end up Crawford or Minnifield, or someone we draft.

---------- Post added February-5th-2013 at 03:48 AM ----------

I don't think restrusturing DHall's contract is wise in term of cap hit, it's only going to push more cap money into future years. The Ravens are for example in this kind of situation with 13 UFAs (most of them being key players) and being $5 millions under the cap.

He's not owed any guaranteed money, we basically would be giving him less money with no obligation to pay him beyond when we want to use him. The moment he's outlived his usefulness, he's cut, and we wouldn't owe him a dime.

Luckily, Hall realizes he's not worth anywhere near what he's being paid, so he's ok with taking a pay cut.

We then restructure Hall and Fletcher, and either cut-and-resign Moss or restructure. We then cut Brown. I wouldn't be surprised if we freed up enough to have 10M in cap space from those moves.

hall, fletcher, moss, brown, and im gonna add wilson, are the 5 players who are killing us with their cap hit. i think moss and brown are easy cuts, the other 3 not so much. maybe fletcher decides to retire anyway and we wont have to make the choice. hall and wilson didnt exactly light it up last year, so they are candidates for restructure or being cut also. the bottom line is, i dont think theres enough money to keep all these players. people are going to get cut that we dont want to. i like moss, but we look to be set at wr. our secondary is bad, yet our two corners are among the highest paid.

Archived