Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins 2013 Salary Cap (Check OP for Updates)

rick7423

I don't like the idea of back loading contracts either.

Depending on health we are going to have to big players looking for a pay day in a couple years.

Why? Do you know why salaries are back loaded? To make sure a big bonus is payable upfront and to allow to restructure room in the out years. There is no issue with back loading contracts unless your doing back loading SALARIES to allow for more front loading of guaranteed monies. It is paid but not yet accounted for monies that are the worse from a team's perspective and then all other guaranteed monies. Non-guaranteed salaries are of little concern as they only hit if the player is on the roster and are easier to re-structure if he is.

Jammal Brown is a $5M cap hit next year???? :puke:

Well, yes and no. He's for sure gone, it's just a matter of when. If we cut him immediately we save somewhere around 1.5 M. But if we wait to cut him until June 1, then we save over 3 million but we don't get much relief this year.

---------- Post added January-31st-2013 at 07:59 PM ----------

Cutting DHall alone saves 7.5 Million IIRC

I mean, it makes total sense to cut him. But we'd be SUPER thin at corner if we do so. We'd have Crawford and Wilson on contract, and that's all I can think of right now.

I am a firm believer that the cap hits have been a blessing. We are doing things right for once, our front office was prepared to sign a lot of FA's this past offseason.

We need to continue to build.

Wrong. We have only been able to build through the draft and thats the only true way of building a team for the long-term.

I agree with this and add in the type of player that fits the scheme. While a 26 year old Deion would be nice, does he fit the type of defense we want to run? Bruce Smith was primarily a 3-4 DE, but we ran a 4-3 at the time. Why would you sign the guy at 26 to be a 4-3 DE when he plays in the 3-4? That has been just as big an issue as the money given out as you said above.

We did this through the Gibbs years, it didn't work.

And it's not about trusting the guys building the team.

To me it's equivalent to this:

You take your kids to the candy store, you tell them to buy whatever they want, they grab all kinds of crap they may or may not want. You give them $5, they are selective with how they spend it.

Gibbs fell hard into that trap. Shanny could have too, which he showed in his handling of McRibb.

The cap forced us to be frugal in free agency. If you pay attention to winning franchise, they are frugal in free agency. :-)

---------- Post added January-31st-2013 at 08:54 PM ----------

Wrong.

Nothing I said was....

The cap didn't force us to get frugal. If you look at Allen's and Bruce history they both invest alot in the draft. The problem was that because we didn't have money we had to do the Jammal Brown and McNabb deals. We couldn't settle for middle of the road stop gaps to fill our positions.

The cap didn't force us to get frugal. If you look at Allen's and Bruce history they both invest alot in the draft. The problem was that because we didn't have money we had to do the Jammal Brown and McNabb deals. We couldn't settle for middle of the road stop gaps to fill our positions.

We were frugal this offseason because of the cap penalty. They were ready to buy a lot of free agents. Which was my point. The penalty forced us to be frugal. Dan Snyder gives kids in the candy store an open check book which causes a buying frenzy.

We were frugal this offseason because of the cap penalty. They were ready to buy a lot of free agents. Which was my point. The penalty forced us to be frugal. Dan Snyder gives kids in the candy store an open check book which causes a buying frenzy.

really when was the last shopping spree by Danny?

really when was the last shopping spree by Danny?

Are you purposely trying to be obtuse, or was the Haynesworth signing less than 3 years ago, one of the biggest FAILS in NFL not a spree. Not to mention the McNabb contract signing, you know the renewal.

Don't act like things were rosie prior to this season, they weren't. And as I stated, the penalty was and is a blessing. We have no choice but to spend wisely for two years while we get back to having a number 1 pick. We should be in good shape to contend by then with mostly home grown talent.

Are you purposely trying to be obtuse, or was the Haynesworth signing less than 3 years ago, one of the biggest FAILS in NFL not a spree. Not to mention the McNabb contract signing, you know the renewal.

Don't act like things were rosie prior to this season, they weren't. And as I stated, the penalty was and is a blessing. We have no choice but to spend wisely for two years while we get back to having a number 1 pick. We should be in good shape to contend by then with mostly home grown talent.

Umm Haynesworth was a pick by Vinny. Mcnabb contract was a 1 year deal essentially. It allowed us to get out of the deal after the season.

Umm Haynesworth was a spending spree by Danny and Vinny. Mcnabb contract was a 1 year deal essentially. It allowed us to get out of the deal after the season. That of course was before we signed him to another long term contract. Shucks I forgot about that contract

Fixed it for you.

And I answered the question you asked. "really when was the last shopping spree by Danny?"

Like I said, the penalty is a blessing.

Fixed it for you.

And I answered the question you asked. "really when was the last shopping spree by Danny?"

i guess you thought getting bowen, cofield, josh wilson were terrible signing too? right. The new deal was to make his new deal into a 1 year deal and push his money into the current year. Do you have any clue what you are talking about?

sorry man im w/ everybody else, are you ignoring the 1st 2 years under bruce & shanny? that vinny & danny philosophy is not around anymore, the cap penalty was NOT a blessing.

back on topic, can someone explain how the carryover is calculated into the cap? so its 120.9M (new cap) - 18M (cap penalty) = $102.9M (post cap penalty)....but then do you add in +4M (roll over) = $106.9M (post roll over & cap penalty) ?

i guess you thought getting bowen, cofield, josh wilson were terrible signing too? right. The new deal was to make his new deal into a 1 year deal and push his money into the current year. Do you have any clue what you are talking about?

"

Bowen and cofield and wilson were good signings. The McRibb deal was not good no matter how you frame it. And yeah I have a clue. Do you understand the deal?

---------- Post added February-1st-2013 at 12:12 AM ----------

sorry man im w/ everybody else, are you ignoring the 1st 2 years under bruce & shanny? that vinny & danny philosophy is not around anymore, the cap penalty was NOT a blessing.

No I don't agree with some of the posters but not all.

From what some reporters speculated like Keim, the two main things they were looking to do but the cap stopped them is upgrading RT and corner. I am not so sure that having Polumbus over lets say Eric Winston and supposed they liked Finnegan at corner -- helped our season. So not having those guys on the team, I doubt saved us from ourselves. Some corner and RT help this season might have made a difference, I doubt we'd be worse off with it. The kicker is if those needs were addressed, it would open up addressing other needs this off season.

I agree you don't want to go nuts in free agency -- see Eagles of recent years and or Redskins of old. Yeah doing another Haynseworth kind of deal with lets say Mario Williams would have hurt -- but that seems Vinny/Joe Gibbs style not Allen/Shanny. Donovan McNabb was a mistake but he wasn't a free agent mistake and they were shrewd with his contract, they set it up so they could get out of it with little harm. Then essentially traded him for Alfred Morris. Pretty much EVERY team screws up on a free agent signing or contract, heck every team screws up in the draft, too. It's about having more winning moves than losing ones.

back on topic, can someone explain how the carryover is calculated into the cap? so its 120.9M (new cap) - 18M (cap penalty) = $102.9M (post cap penalty)....but then do you add in +4M (roll over) = $106.9M (post roll over & cap penalty) ?

per John Claytons

They had to think about next season. Under the rules of the new collective bargaining agreement, teams had to designate how much money they wanted to carry over to the 2013 salary cap. The carryover provisions are new and important.

So, each team can use some carryover from year to year. This allows teams to sign players which would take them over that years cap, but that amount is deducted from the next years cap (that what I got from the article as I read it). So, it looks like the Skins used about 4-5 million in the carryover last year. I am NOT sure of that number, will try to get more details on it.

Also, reference this article (Feb 2012 explaining the Carryover somewhat) .

According to Rich Tandler, the Skins only used ~ 1M in carryover from last year to this year.

@brothaofdes They're about $4 million over. That counts carrying over cap room from last year but that was only ~$1 million or so.

I am not that worried about the cap. I believe in our front office and they will figure it out. Then the true blessing from this cap penalty is that we will get a 18mil cap increase the following year. So really Mr. Mara just increased our advantage, he just delayed it 2 years and we still have the better team at the present time.

Fixed it for you.

The 2nd contract signed by McNabb had ZERO effect on our cap. We haven't paid McNugget anything the last 2 years. You're wrong on this. Haynesworth on the other hand....

I'm far from a cap expert ... but here are a couple things I noticed that we could do:

1) Release Jamaal Brown and get $1.5 million immediately

2) Release Santana Moss and save $4.65 million

3) Extend Josh Wilson and get year 1 of the new contract down to around $3 million ... saving $2 mill

4) Restructure and extend DeAngelo Hall ... get year 1 on the new contract in the $3.5 mill range ... save $3.5 million (or outright release him and get $7 million in relief)

5) Release Reid Doughty and save $1.15 million. Assuming safety is addressed strongly this off-season there is no room for Doughty on next year's team

I calculate that as being $12.8 million by restructuring DHall or $16.3 million by outright releasing him. I have no idea on the accuracy of the Moss number, as I just deducted his base salary from the 2013 projected cap hit of $6 million so correct me if I'm wrong. But if we are starting with around $2-4 million in space as is, and we are able to do those moves I listed above, we could be in the range of $14-20 million under the cap ... which would be plenty of room to get our restricted guys and a couple "Bowen/Cofield" type free agents

The bottom line is this front office has managed to get in a position to do most of the things they want each year ... so I trust that they will get into a position to make some good signings.

I really want Aqib Talib and if that means restructuring Josh Wilson and releasing DHall, so be it. I'd love to keep DHall and sign Talib if possible, too. Anyone have a guess as to what kind of contract he will command? I wouldn't mind having Tanard Jackson and Aqib Talib in the secondary with Raheem Morris as the coach.

I'm far from a cap expert ... but here are a couple things I noticed that we could do:

3) Extend Josh Wilson and get year 1 of the new contract down to around $3 million ... saving $2 mill

4) Restructure and extend DeAngelo Hall ... get year 1 on the new contract in the $3.5 mill range ... save $3.5 million (or outright release him and get $7 million in relief)

5) Release Reid Doughty and save $1.15 million. Assuming safety is addressed strongly this off-season there is no room for Doughty on next year's team

I really want Aqib Talib and if that means restructuring Josh Wilson and releasing DHall, so be it. I'd love to keep DHall and sign Talib if possible, too. Anyone have a guess as to what kind of contract he will command? I wouldn't mind having Tanard Jackson and Aqib Talib in the secondary with Raheem Morris as the coach.

1) Reasonable

2) He's also our 2nd most reliable WR right now. Big 3rd down guy and led our WR's in TD's. This one hurts and not just from a sentimental view.

3) Reasonable

4) Reasonable

5) Why? We have Pugh (eh), Bernstine (coming off major injury), Gomes (looking like a bust), Meriweather (hoping he stays healthy), and Doughty. Those are our safeties. Unless Gomes does better, he might not make the team next year.

Madieu and Tanard Jackson are FA's. Tanard has been out of football for a year, and who knows where/how he's been training or if he even has been. I do not think we will bring him back, and that's even IF the league decides to lift his suspension.

So you're suggesting we roll the dice on health at Safety? The only safety we have that's good on teams is Doughty.

Last paragraph) Forget Tanard for the reasons stated above. As soon as Raheem Morris is offered a DC job, he's leaving, so we can't count on him to stay. Why Aqib Talib? Why not other corners? I suggest we do not break the bank on one guy. He'll get offers.

1) Reasonable

2) He's also our 2nd most reliable WR right now. Big 3rd down guy and led our WR's in TD's. This one hurts and not just from a sentimental view.

3) Reasonable

4) Reasonable

5) Why? We have Pugh (eh), Bernstine (coming off major injury), Gomes (looking like a bust), Meriweather (hoping he stays healthy), and Doughty. Those are our safeties. Unless Gomes does better, he might not make the team next year.

Madieu and Tanard Jackson are FA's. Tanard has been out of football for a year, and who knows where/how he's been training or if he even has been. I do not think we will bring him back, and that's even IF the league decides to lift his suspension.

So you're suggesting we roll the dice on health at Safety? The only safety we have that's good on teams is Doughty.

Last paragraph) Forget Tanard for the reasons stated above. As soon as Raheem Morris is offered a DC job, he's leaving, so we can't count on him to stay. Why Aqib Talib? Why not other corners? I suggest we do not break the bank on one guy. He'll get offers.

Good points. On Santana, I love him as a Skin and would like to keep him around until he officially loses a step ... but not at $6 million a year. Maybe we can restructure him, and I'm sure he would be okay with that idea.

As for Jackson, I was under the impression that we signed him to a 2 year deal. I guess I'm wrong on that, but read somewhere that we signed him knowing he would be suspended and, thus, signed him, more or less, for his services in 2013.

I'm also working under the impression that the Redskins draft a safety early and address it in FA. I think we'd keep Gomes over Doughty and Gomes, Merriweather, FA Safety, and drafted S are enough to carry, I think, with someone like Pugh as a 5th safety. But for $1.15 million, you're right, he may be worth keeping around.

As for Talib, when he has his head on straight he is a beast. I think he may come relatively cheap, and if Raheem Morris is still on the staff, there's the obvious connection there. Talib is still young (26), and a big, strong corner with a lot of upside. He fits the mold of the type of player the Skins have pursued in FA lately. I also think his "past" will prevent him from commanding what he probably deserves.

I calculate that as being $12.8 million by restructuring DHall or $16.3 million by outright releasing him. I have no idea on the accuracy of the Moss number, as I just deducted his base salary from the 2013 projected cap hit of $6 million so correct me if I'm wrong. But if we are starting with around $2-4 million in space as is, and we are able to do those moves I listed above, we could be in the range of $14-20 million under the cap ... which would be plenty of room to get our restricted guys and a couple "Bowen/Cofield" type free agents

The bottom line is this front office has managed to get in a position to do most of the things they want each year ... so I trust that they will get into a position to make some good signings.

With the exception of Brown, for the other releases you discussed, the replacement would cost the same. No net cap savings.

Archived