Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins 2013 Salary Cap (Check OP for Updates)

rick7423

Did the Skins ever experience "cap hell" or was it more to do with media and other fans being flummoxed by the Skin's ability to spend year after year?

Yes, we experienced cap hell. Cap hell is when you cannot move a player because doing so would cause cap problems or when personnel decisions are primarily driven by the cap and not by quality of play. Cap hell is why guys like Jansen and Washington cost so much towards the end of his career, cap hell is why we did not re-sign Pierce in 2005 and cap hell is a major reason we had no depth under Vinnie.

---------- Post added February-5th-2013 at 08:54 AM ----------

This might be a stupid question (since I really don't know):

Are coaches salary part of the salary cap?

If so, I wonder how much they will pay the new Specials Teams' coach?

No, the coaches do not contribute to the cap.

I never said anything on Cap space, he asked when the last spending spree was ;)

Point being, this cap penalty will allow the team to develop talent and have cap room when the team is really ready to compete.

Griffin has a good season, and the Vinnie in the board rears it's ugly head. Go get him Danny, lets break out the Redskins One tracker.

I like the cap penalty. We actually have to act like a real NFL franchise and have a budget and plan carefully who to pick up :-)

I too like that it has hindered us a bit, but I don't think Mike and Bruce are anything like Vinny. Unlike Vinny, they want to target a specific age, with a speicific skillset that fits our philosophies and even if we have to pay, the payout will be worth the production.

For instance, even thought Garcon was hurt, he and Morgan were brought in for one specific reason. Yards after catch. They are also excellent blockers on the edge. Bowen and Cofield were brought in for their specific skillset in the 3-4.

I don't mind paying a guy if he is worth it and unlike in the past, players know if they sign in DC, they aren't just here to collect a paycheck. They have to earn every penny.

---------- Post added February-5th-2013 at 09:04 AM ----------

Thanks for correcting me as I thought he was a free agent.

How about putting a claim in for Young wr Lions.?

We need to start making more 3rd downs and Kyle might get his head on right.

No offense, but we need to not just look at their names. Like I said in my post above to Chipwich, Mike and Bruce have specific types of players they want with the comination of age, how they fit the offense/defense, attitide, a specific skillset that they bring and cost. I have to laugh my ass off every time I go in the free agent thread and see Bowe, Jennings and other "big name" guys names being thrown around.

---------- Post added February-5th-2013 at 09:39 AM ----------

As I posted earlier for your review, it's the kid in the candy store syndrome. It's irresistible. I would be curious if any GM/Coach in the NFL has cart blanch to spend whatever possible as long as it fits into the cap.

Giants have been up against the cap in recent years and again this year. Panthers are way over the cap now. Colts had to let go alot of players not named Manning (Garcon?). Point is, every team (exept the Bengals who never spend money) will have to make decisions on players. I like what MrJL wrote below.

---------- Post added February-5th-2013 at 09:39 AM ----------

Cap hell(not the current punishment) did not result from restructuring under Cerrato. Cap hell resulted from signing the wrong guys, guys so bad they had to be cut, so that massive amounts ended up moved forward, instead of with them able to restructure at the end of their contracts, or simply be let go with no real consequences. None of the guys people are talking about extending are so old that their careers won't reach that long, or playing that poorly.

The Redskins have players to re-sign or we will have more holes to fill, and I would say we could use 3-5 new guys beyond them. Now the draft could provide new talent, but with the top pick gone I think it's presumptuous to expect more than two impact guys from it, and it will have to also fill any new holes we get from losing people.

I like this post. Every team goes through what we go through exept ours was magnified with players like Haynesworth.

Josh Wilson's cap hit is just over $5 million. He has played well enough to be a #2 CB and is in his contract year. I would imagine that he would sign an extension for another 4-5 years, which would get his cap hit for 2013 down to around $2-3 million (saves $2 million). You can outright release DeAngelo Hall and save $7 million, which I imagine they will do if they target a FA corner (Talib). But if Hall restructures for 3 years you can get his number down to $3-4 million (saves $3-4 million). Santana has a big hit, roughly $6 million ... he is expendable as a SWR if you target someone in the draft, and while he is valuable he certainly isn't worth $6 million ... he may restructure to get that number down to $3-4 million (saves $2-3 million).

Someone posted that releasing Jamaal Brown right now would save the team $1.5 million ... but if we wait until June 1st we could save $3 million. Most draft picks are not signed by that point anyway, so why not make some of the restructures to free up space to re-sign our UFAs and target a couple FA replacements, then wait to cut Brown and get an additional $1.5 million and use that $3 million in savings to sign some draft picks?

Also, Reid Doughty can be released for $1.1 million ... and if you plan to target safety in the draft and FA I would imagine he becomes expendable, especially at that price.

Regarding Lichtensteigher, I think he will re-sign. But if he doesn't, the team addressed the position last year. You didn't draft LeReibus in the 3rd to be a back-up ...

Also, as far as Polumbus goes, I say you let him walk. This front office is high on Tom Compton, and I would imagine they will also address RT in the draft. If the FO loves Compton, then you address OT depth in the 5th round ... if there are some questions, then you take an OT in the 2nd, 3rd or 4th and let them compete.

---------- Post added February-5th-2013 at 10:27 AM ----------

Has anyone looked beyond 2013 and into 2014? I know there was a great website posted that shows the 2013 cap hits for every player, but if there is some one that has compiled the cap for 2014 I would be fascinated to see how much space we will have. If you like the way the team is structured now and you know you will have more space in 2014 why not use that to our advantage? If we are currently working with a $104 million cap and that jumps to $122 in 2014 ... say you have $85 million committed to contracts for 2014 (very possible with Fletcher and a few others coming off the books), and after re-signing whoever is up for a contract in 2014 you project to be at around $105 million ... instead of planning to utilize that $17 million leftover on a bunch of free agents, why not take $10 million of that and "inflate" a couple of contracts to make up for the deficiency this year? Similar to what we did with the uncapped year, except doing it "legally"

Hey guys I just did a full salary cap breakdown for the Redskins going into next season. Including what it will cost to re-sign players and tender our restricted free agents contracts. This is before any cuts (including Brown), but it shakes out that we need to free up $16 million+ just to bring our own guys back (and that isn't everyone, as some of you may want to re-sign other guys) and sign our draft picks. To be active at all in free agency will need to free up quite a bit more.

Hey guys I just did a full salary cap breakdown for the Redskins going into next season. Including what it will cost to re-sign players and tender our restricted free agents contracts. This is before any cuts (including Brown), but it shakes out that we need to free up $16 million+ just to bring our own guys back (and that isn't everyone, as some of you may want to re-sign other guys) and sign our draft picks. To be active at all in free agency will need to free up quite a bit more.

Very Useful Link, Definately puts into perspective that my fears of our situation are justified. We have at least 6 positions that need to be filled with starting caliber players. At this moment we have "Negative 8 mil" to accomplish that with. There needs to be a ton of restructuring, and their really arent any cuts we can make that wont result in a major drop off... Do we really want our 7th rounder CB crawford starting day one?

im looking at 2 more players, cofield and bowen, who are dealing huge blows to the salary cap. 6.45 and 5.5 million. hopefully we can restructure their contracts to free up some space, especially if we want to resign fred davis. we are way over the cap and have a ton of free agents + draft picks to sign, something has to give.

With Jamaal Brown's contract being voided, is it possible for us to designate him a June 1st cut now? That would save us even more money under the cap for this year.

I think cut now, save 1.4 million, (we still get popped for a little over 3 mil) wait until June only save about 400k. Easy decision IMO, he has no value at this point and we need to cut our losses on what proved to be a bad decision with him. Too bad, formor pro bowler that by all accounts a decent guy, just never could come back from that injury.

---------- Post added February-8th-2013 at 01:23 PM ----------

im looking at 2 more players, cofield and bowen, who are dealing huge blows to the salary cap. 6.45 and 5.5 million. hopefully we can restructure their contracts to free up some space, especially if we want to resign fred davis. we are way over the cap and have a ton of free agents + draft picks to sign, something has to give.

Restructuring gets a bit more difficlut with a fixed cap. Deferring compensation snowballs. Allen seems to be a pretty good numbers guy, so hopefully he can do something. 12 million hit for two players there is a big one.

Yes, we experienced cap hell. Cap hell is when you cannot move a player because doing so would cause cap problems or when personnel decisions are primarily driven by the cap and not by quality of play. Cap hell is why guys like Jansen and Washington cost so much towards the end of his career, cap hell is why we did not re-sign Pierce in 2005 and cap hell is a major reason we had no depth under Vinnie.

The Skins have always been able to sign mega deals for players in free agency without any problem. This has been the case during the time the guys you speak of were playing or were available to be resigned. Sure, there have been bad contracts that have hamstrung the organization to some degree, but this is not unique to many other teams in the NFL (especially the ones trying to compete for championships [yes, Snyder thought the Skins were going to win championships with dominating the free agency period]). My point being Jansen and Washington's contracts never precluded the Skins from splurging in free agency and Pierce was unfortunately under valued by Williams, but could have been signed back.

Depth can be attributed to many different things and over paying for starters certainly was a factor. Personally for me though, the draft was the main issue with failing to build depth. The front office put more resources and credence in free agency as oppose to the draft.

Bottom line-- money was spent poorly and I think we can both agree on that.

The Skins have always been able to sign mega deals for players in free agency without any problem. This has been the case during the time the guys you speak of were playing or were available to be resigned. Sure, there have been bad contracts that have hamstrung the organization to some degree, but this is not unique to many other teams in the NFL (especially the ones trying to compete for championships [yes, Snyder thought the Skins were going to win championships with dominating the free agency period]). My point being Jansen and Washington's contracts never precluded the Skins from splurging in free agency and Pierce was unfortunately under valued by Williams, but could have been signed back.

Depth can be attributed to many different things and over paying for starters certainly was a factor. Personally for me though, the draft was the main issue with failing to build depth. The front office put more resources and credence in free agency as oppose to the draft.

Bottom line-- money was spent poorly and I think we can both agree on that.

Which is why I said it was A major reason.

Which is why I said it was A major reason.

Cap hell had nothing to do with the Skins not valuing the draft is my point. Depth is built from the draft and the Skins lacked the necessary picks and system in place to draft "system fitting players".

True enough. I do wonder what we could do with guys like Cofield, Bowen, Morgan, etc. but I'm no cap buff either.
I just looked at their contracts and the only one we could maybe do something with is Morgan's and that would be a restructure to extend

---------- Post added February-15th-2013 at 01:36 AM ----------

It's still early but I would have thought we would have seen some cuts/restructures by now. Other teams have been doing it. What's up with us?
If you look at our roster the only two logical cut I can see is Moss and Hall other than that maybe Morgan. We might just have to suck it up for one year and come back as off season champs the following season.

---------- Post added February-15th-2013 at 01:37 AM ----------

It's still early but I would have thought we would have seen some cuts/restructures by now. Other teams have been doing it. What's up with us?
If you look at our roster the only two logical cut I can see is Moss and Hall other than that maybe Morgan. We might just have to suck it up for one year and come back as off season champs the following season.

---------- Post added February-15th-2013 at 01:39 AM ----------

Archived