Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do the Skins keep the read option with RG3 or scrap it?

PigskinPhat

I swear, threads like this are making me tempted to buy all the games on itunes, rewatch them, and count how many hits come from "read-option" plays and how many hits came from normal shanahan style drop back/boot leg plays.

I'd almost put money down that he got hit more in the latter than the former.

Actually, thinking about it...that may be a fun project.

See how many times he runs on the read option and compare that to how many times he scrambles after going back for a pass.

See how many hits he takes dropback/bootleg compared to read action.

Of those hits, rate them between a bump (push out of bounds, tap after he throws the ball), a hit (normal tackle), and a BIG hit (tackle that causes him to get up slowly).

And finally the difference in the number and severity of hits pre-concussion and post concussion when it seemed we moved more towards using the Read-Option as a variation of play actoin rather than the traditional "pitch option" run.

The problem was with the PA pass of the read option. It was extremely effective for the pases over the middle, but when that look wasn't there, RG3 was too far up in the pocket and had a difficult escape which resulted in some bigger hits.

---------- Post added January-10th-2013 at 08:55 PM ----------

Someone here suggested upgrading the O-line. With the exception of Right tackle, which everyone knows needs to be addressed, how would you grade our line?

I thought adding a monster blocking tight-end like Micheal Williams of Alabama would help seal the edge. He's 6'6" 275lbs.. and we could probably get him in the 6th round.

I think our o-line is fine minus the RT spot. We had two young guys in LeRibeus and Gettis developing behind the starters, who all played solidly. Let Rib-eye push Kory and see what Gettis has next TC, but we're ok there...

I don't feel the need to get rid of the read option. RG3 in general seems much better at knowing when to get down and I don't think it's really appreciably more dangerous than staying in the pocket and it's such an effective scheme.

It's worth remembering that RG3's original injury was just a desperate scramble with the game on the line rather than a designed option. It happens. I didn't hear the people criticising our use of the read option when Wilson was running well against us.

I say keep it, it was extremely effective this year, and keep defense on their toes the entire game, and really opened up that play action read option to a post down the middle...can't even count the # of times I saw that work this year...But as stated earlier, the NFL defenses will have an entire offseason to adapt to this, as other teams (such as the 49er's with Kappernick) are starting to implement it and I feel it won't be as effective next year

Use it sparingly to keep the defenses honest, but start to bring a more traditional look overall

And to all those saying the read option is what got RGIII hurt, no, and while I cringe every time he ran it, he seemed to know when to get down in time... it was his own decisions to run after the plays broke down that resulted the injuries he attained this year

Correct me if I am wrong, but RG3's initial injury and re-injury were on plays he had scrambled outside the pocket, no?
Why do you ask? It doesn't matter how the injury happened. That's purely a matter of chance. The injury could have happened on a low-risk play. What matters is that the plays representing the highest risks be eliminated.

Why do you ask? It doesn't matter how the injury happened. That's purely a matter of chance. The injury could have happened on a low-risk play. What matters is that the plays representing the highest risks be eliminated.

I only ask the question as it pertains to the original question of this thread. Besides, I don't think his injuries are a matter of happenstance nor is it due to specific "playcalling" per se. It's a combination of RG3 taking less risk (obviously when outside the pocket) and also better protection.

Robert just has to do a better job of getting down or out of bounds before big hits. The Read Option isn't the problem . If he has a DE crashing down, then usually he has a wide open field except the CBs and Safetys.

Scrambles are more dangerous because the plays are off script and the defenders aren't as accounted for as evidenced by Griffins two big hits by a LB and a DT.

I highly doubt the Option plays will be dropped. We've already heard from them that he's not getting hit on those plays.

With the way this o line pass protects, a conventional drop back passing game that allows a d line to disrupt without fear of the option, might present the most risk.

Rg3 needs to eliminate a large percentage of the risk himself, by learning to slide. Option is here up stay, playoffs so far are proving it.

If we take note of the playoffs, we see that the read option is viable and important. We'll continue to use it and use it successfully. I think it's important to note that football is a game of violence and physical risk. We probably could argue that's why it's more popular than volleyball or ryhthmic gymnastics.

There's no way to play this game and be "safe" Even kickers get hit and injured. Heck, even players and coaches on the sidelines do.

What we saw in the first quarter and most of the year was a really effective offense that kept defenses off balance and guessing. Off balance and guessing might actually be the best way to reduce injury.

Can you link me to where you are getting the information that a player running a read option has a higher risk of getting injured?

After watching the 49ers last night I bet a few more teams will be looking at the read/option.

Yep. Kaep and Wilson are having great success with it. The read option will be here for a while.

As for the OP, we definitely need to keep it. And Griff needs to slide much more or throw it away on both read option and scramble plays.

They are going to add to the offense not scrap it.

That's as it should be IMO.

I'd like to see them use RGIII on some boots off play action like we saw against the Browns with Cousins under centre and some more drop back passes from under centre. The foundation of the offense and the philosophy of establishing a running game, freezing linebackers with play action and isolating receivers on deep crossing routes in the space behind those linebackers in obviously very sound.

As to protecting RGIII that's something he has to learn himself in terms if learning when to get out of bounds and when to slide. He may lose half a step with this injury and perversely that might make him stop trying to make something out of nothing and take what's there and/or throw it/run it out of bounds. He is a good enough passer that if he retains 90% of his athletic ability he will still be an elite QB.

Correct me if I am wrong, but RG3's initial injury and re-injury were on plays he had scrambled outside the pocket, no?

You are correct. And I love your sig.

---------- Post added January-13th-2013 at 10:16 AM ----------

Yep. Kaep and Wilson are having great success with it. The read option will be here for a while.

As for the OP, we definitely need to keep it. And Griff needs to slide much more or throw it away on both read option and scramble plays.

That's right. It's on Griff to know when to go down in the open field. Problem is the media wants to sensationalize it b/c he's such a magnet for attention. They have no problem with Kaepernick and Wilson doing it b/c they haven't been hurt so far. So, the read option is great... a game changer... except when your QB gets hurt and they act like it's this huge risk. It's their dirty secret.

Sure it matters. On one of the options the play is designed to be run a particular way. The other team is blocked a particular way. The quarterback has specific keys(if the DE stays out, hand it to morris. only run if DE crashes) to read and decisions to make. To say it is purely a matter of chance ignores what the other 10 players on offense are doing. I'd agree with you on the old wishbone style triple option. The way the Skins evolved to run it the qb was actually at pretty low risk as it appeared to me. At least relatively speaking.

You are correct. And I love your sig.

---------- Post added January-13th-2013 at 10:16 AM ----------

That's right. It's on Griff to know when to go down in the open field. Problem is the media wants to sensationalize it b/c he's such a magnet for attention. They have no problem with Kaepernick and Wilson doing it b/c they haven't been hurt so far. So, the read option is great... a game changer... except when your QB gets hurt and they act like it's this huge risk. It's their dirty secret.

Kaep and Wilson have been much smarter running it... throwing the ball away and sliding. Not to mention both are more built for that type of game

Right now defenses are looking lost. Next year do they hit the QB every time regardless where the ball is?

Ive always heard analysts saying the only way to defend the read option is to make it too risky to run and they always seem to have a free shot at the QB if they dont care where the ball is.

Will a hit on the QB after he hands off in the option draw a flag most of the time? From what I gather...no.

Hard to say how it will play out, but I think this is priority number one for defenses across the league this off-season

Right now defenses are looking lost. Next year do they hit the QB every time regardless where the ball is?

Ive always heard analysts saying the only way to defend the read option is to make it too risky to run and they always seem to have a free shot at the QB if they dont care where the ball is.

Will a hit on the QB after he hands off in the option draw a flag most of the time? From what I gather...no.

Hard to say how it will play out, but I think this is priority number one for defenses across the league this off-season

That is how the Bengals played us. They got a hit on RG3 on every chance they had.

Still I think the read option is here to stay and it will be RG3 bread and butter.

That is how the Bengals played us. They got a hit on RG3 on every chance they had.

Still I think the read option is here to stay and it will be RG3 bread and butter.

Yeah Im thinking its going to look like a league-wide collaboration to stop it next year. If every team does what the Bengals did, it would take shape into what the analysts are saying. "Youve got to punish them for running it"

Archived