Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do the Skins keep the read option with RG3 or scrap it?

PigskinPhat

I think it would be a mistake to get rid of the read option. Especially if RG3 does a better job of protecting himself and not try to get those extra couple of meaningless yards.

Its fun watching other teams copy the Redskins. I know that the Redskins didn't invent the read option, but they showed the NFL, if ran properly, it is a ***** to stop.

---------- Post added January-13th-2013 at 01:17 PM ----------

Not with our scrawny ass QB, RG3 is just not thickly built like Kapernick, or Russel Wilson, the guy is really thin legged. He is basically built like a track star. Freaking waste of 3 1st round picks.......sigh. This franchise is just cursed, now I believe it

That was funny, he isn't that scrawny, dude does have some thick legs. The hit that RG3 got from Ngata would devastate Kapernick and Russel Wilson as well.

Not with our scrawny ass QB, RG3 is just not thickly built like Kapernick, or Russel Wilson, the guy is really thin legged. He is basically built like a track star. Freaking waste of 3 1st round picks.......sigh. This franchise is just cursed, now I believe it

Mitt-Romney-Sucks-Heres-Why-Photo-by-2bp.jpg

Looking at your posting history is just sad. You appear to be nothing more than a depressed troll. Did you even enjoy any part this AMAZING season and our unbelievable playoff run?

Seriously? Scrawny? Look at this:

fan_a_combine_griffin_400.jpg

issue_toilet_paper.JPG

How many times does it have to be mentioned that Griffin didn't get hurt on any read option plays? To deal with the Bengals strategy of hitting Griffin on every play, Griffin started putting his hands up whenever he handled the ball off, which was recommended from the refs. The read option should stay cause when they pass out of it, it's deadly!

That is how the Bengals played us. They got a hit on RG3 on every chance they had.

Still I think the read option is here to stay and it will be RG3 bread and butter.

Then we completely changed how we go about it. We stopped running the more traditional college option pays and started running it exclusively from the pistol formation. By the time anyone got near Robert it would've been well after he handed the ball off and would've garnered a penalty.

We adjusted, and defense's couldn't do a thing after that. It's here and it's here to stay. And it's awesome. The only thing defense's can do is if they change their entire personnel on the Dline to include two massive, All-Pro, DTs (more in the mold of NTs) in the middle and two very fast, All-Pro, DEs on the edges in an attempt to take both the QB hitting the edges and RB up the middle out. That's going to be very hard to do, though.

It really sucks for Shannahan. RG3 is such a high-profile player now, and forever now regarded as a fragile QB (whether it's deserved or not), Shanny will always be questioned for playcalling whenever RG3 gets hurt. Really sucks for him, having to worry about that.

Watching these divisional games, seeing Kaep and Wilson run around like chickens in the middle of the field, just doesn't seem fair.

If RG3 can be a super-bowl winning QB sitting back like Peyton, then fine, let him be that and ditch the option read. But I doubt that's fully utilizing him. I say you run it, and you run it as effectively as you can. If RG3 gets hurt again, he gets hurt, and you move on. But you don't gimp your offense because of a worry of another injury. Then you're sitting at the end of the year wondering "what could have been" if we ran our offense at 100% capability.

It really sucks for Shannahan. RG3 is such a high-profile player now, and forever now regarded as a fragile QB (whether it's deserved or not), Shanny will always be questioned for playcalling whenever RG3 gets hurt. Really sucks for him, having to worry about that.

Watching these divisional games, seeing Kaep and Wilson run around like chickens in the middle of the field, just doesn't seem fair.

If RG3 can be a super-bowl winning QB sitting back like Peyton, then fine, let him be that and ditch the option read. But I doubt that's fully utilizing him. I say you run it, and you run it as effectively as you can. If RG3 gets hurt again, he gets hurt, and you move on. But you don't gimp your offense because of a worry of another injury. Then you're sitting at the end of the year wondering "what could have been" if we ran our offense at 100% capability.

Mike will be fine. He endured raging criticism from the hostile media and the fans so heavily influenced by said media for the last two years and just kept rebuilding this team. He's a champ. He doesn't listen to cowardly talking heads and chicken little fans.

His Heisman Year in 2011... Griffin passed for 4,293 yds , 37 Tds, 6 ints and rushed for 699yds and 10 Tds...... And this was after his ACL injury.

When Griffin comes back I'd expect the Baylor Griffin.. The one who stood tall in the pocket and zipped passes to Kendall Wright. 37 TDs passes!!

The pistol will be there, but there is no need to run Griffin like we did. He ran for more yards in the NFL than any year in college. That's really unheard of.

Then we completely changed how we go about it. We stopped running the more traditional college option pays and started running it exclusively from the pistol formation. By the time anyone got near Robert it would've been well after he handed the ball off and would've garnered a penalty.

We adjusted, and defense's couldn't do a thing after that. It's here and it's here to stay. And it's awesome. The only thing defense's can do is if they change their entire personnel on the Dline to include two massive, All-Pro, DTs (more in the mold of NTs) in the middle and two very fast, All-Pro, DEs on the edges in an attempt to take both the QB hitting the edges and RB up the middle out. That's going to be very hard to do, though.

With you on the first paragraph. All someone has to do is watch that second dallas game and see what the play did to ware. I dont like them running it like army or navy does...but they dont anymore.

No, its the future, and we'd be wasting Griffin not to use it. It's the difference between being a good offense and a dominant offense. Rings vs no rings...

Yup.

Shoot, I'd give up on Robert and find another guy like him before I gave up on this offense.

Wait, what did I say!? :banhim:

Yup.

Shoot, I'd give up on Robert and find another guy like him before I gave up on this offense.

Wait, what did I say!? :banhim:

I know your joking but the thing is there is no one else like Robert. Thats both the exciting thing about having him as our QB and the worry in terms of his health. There is no guarantee he comes back from this current injury at 100%, in fact I would bet he does lose half a step, but another major injury to his right knee and that could be it for his career at least as a mobile QB.

I know your joking but the thing is there is no one else like Robert. Thats both the exciting thing about having him as our QB and the worry in terms of his health. There is no guarantee he comes back from this current injury at 100%, in fact I would bet he does lose half a step, but another major injury to his right knee and that could be it for his career at least as a mobile QB.

hate to say it but there is. Wilson. The kid yesterday played awesome, and run the pistol very very well. I know hindsight is 20/20 but Shanny should have picked him up in the 3rd since he was there and LeRibeus in the 4th, hell no one had him that high he probably is there in the 5th round.

But in our current situation one thing we must upgrade is the RT because our OL for pass protection is not what it should be. Wilson had LOADS of time when Atlanta knew he had to pass. Yet with a few moves he has wide open lanes to either pass or 20 yards on a run without anyone around him. Our line can't pass protect half as good as Seattle's line. That is our main problem right now. Even if RGIII is never 100% he has the arm and accuracy plus he is athletic enough to move around in the pocket and kill you on the throw. Hell RGIII at 90%, knowing when to slide is faster than Wilson.

hate to say it but there is. Wilson. The kid yesterday played awesome, and run the pistol very very well. I know hindsight is 20/20 but Shanny should have picked him up in the 3rd since he was there and LeRibeus in the 4th, hell no one had him that high he probably is there in the 5th round.

I know this wasnt the main point of your post but I thought Wilson did not run the Pistol all too well. I thought there were more misreads than correct reads when running that read option by Wilson.

I think the read option is here to stay and I am pretty sure there will be many copy cats out there... the difference between the teams will be the QB's ability to make the correct decision on every read option play which is where RG3 excelled at.

Kaep and Wilson have been much smarter running it... throwing the ball away and sliding. Not to mention both are more built for that type of game

Kaep gets down, but I noticed yesterday, Wilson taking alot of chances and I found myself yelling, "punish him" to the Falcons defense. He was diving forward most of the time or trying to spin out of a tackle while running downfield. I think Wilson will be the next one to get hurt if he doesn't slide more.

Rob just needs to be smarter. You see all these other guys rarely taking big shots and they run just as much if not more than our guy. I hope he is looking at these playoffs and making his mental adjustments. It's no good being a hero when your on the sideline not helping your team.

Kaep gets down, but I noticed yesterday, Wilson taking alot of chances and I found myself yelling, "punish him" to the Falcons defense. He was diving forward most of the time or trying to spin out of a tackle while running downfield. I think Wilson will be the next one to get hurt if he doesn't slide more.

The difference with Wilson is his running style. He is short and compact. So when he takes contact he folds up like a turtle in a shell. It's very hard to get a shot on him

Yeah Im thinking its going to look like a league-wide collaboration to stop it next year. If every team does what the Bengals did, it would take shape into what the analysts are saying. "Youve got to punish them for running it"

But we adjusted after the Bengals game. All Griffin had to do was put his hands up. He's a magician with the ball and I said before the season began that Griffin is the best play action QB this side of Peyton. I don't like to declare any of our players the best at anything, but there is no denying that Griffin is one of the best, if not THE best at ball fakes and play action. You can't take the read option out of this team.

---------- Post added January-14th-2013 at 08:58 AM ----------

The difference with Wilson is his running style. He is short and compact. So when he takes contact he folds up like a turtle in a shell. It's very hard to get a shot on him

True, I noticed him ducking alot. But one of these times, someone will get a clean shot on him.

Even if RGIII is never 100% he has the arm and accuracy plus he is athletic enough to move around in the pocket and kill you on the throw. Hell RGIII at 90%, knowing when to slide is faster than Wilson.

There is the difference right there between RGIII and Wilson. Speed.

At 100% RGIII is much faster than Wilson and a much more dangerous runner as a result - thats partly why he had twice the rushing yardage Wilson had (scheme and play calling account for some of the difference). RGIII at 80-90% is the same as Wilson but arguably a better passer - Wilson is good deep middle but not as good as RGIII throwing deep outside the numbers IMO.

Also Wilson is not good running the read option - I cant recall him keeping it on the option once Sunday for example even when the end crashed down.

As long as Griffin is able to perform like in the past I'd keep the read option. The Ngata hit was definitely a fluke but I've noticed that Griffin has a bad habit of keeping his leg up in the air when he slides. I hope he can learn to keep it down so it doesn't get hit laterally again..

Archived