Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do the Skins keep the read option with RG3 or scrap it?

PigskinPhat

Not discounting the fact that RG3 is a deep ball threat, but the read option is what makes him so dynamic. Couple that with the fact that his concussion and his knee injuries were results of scrambles and not designed run plays...you don't have any real reason to go away from the read option. The only thing the Skins need to do with RG3 right now is rehab, heal, and teach him to protect himself better on the read option and scrambles.

The read options are fine. In fact, the threat of it often buys him more time when he does drop back to pass after faking the handoff and rolling out the opposite way. We can't scrap our offense at this point because of this injury same as the Patriots didn't make Tom Brady a mobile QB after he got hit and tore up his knee while sitting in the pocket. We just have to be smart and continue to mix it up. Griffins designed runs this year were ok. In fact, he has a better chance of seeing and preparing for hits before they happen when he is the ball carrier as opposed to being a sitting duck in the pocket. He will learn from this and so will the Shanahans.

None of the injuries came on the read option.

Concussion and Ngata hit were on scrambles when the play broke down.

Two knee re-aggrivations against Seattle were non-contact.

This is it in a nut shell...everyone needs to stop saying we need to change everything!!!! He got hurt as ANY QB would have in the same situation. The question is not his running it may be his "Knees"... period.

You need to keep Pistol apart of this team unless you plan on upgrading this line. Read option was one of the reasons why many of the OL line problems weren't shown. This team will not be able to protect RG3 in the pocket with this line if we run a traditional offense.

I agree and think it would be wise to explore upgrades along the OL where possible.

I love RG3, but the dude needs to learn how to slide.. Hell it can't be that hard on our field. If he'd of slid properly instead of flopping his body around like a fish with his arms and legs going in all direction, his leg wouldn't have been out there for Ngata to whack.

One huge reason I don't want to see the read option scrapped is because next season we will have Roy Helu. What are defenses going to do when we have Helu and Morris lined up in the backfield? They have to worry about Helu in space, Morris trucking down the LB's, RG3 taking off through a lane and RG3/Fred Davis attacking the middle. As long as everyone is healthy this Offense will be top 5 again.

Yes, it's devastating, however Kyle has got to pass more on first down, stop the pitches on short yardage, but also next year put in some hurry up offense, tire out the D then run Alfred, and let RGIII have more run-pass option... This offense can be so devastating just need a little more imagination, I feel it'll evolve into a fast break type offense that'll be a horror for DC's league wide...

---------- Post added January-9th-2013 at 09:13 PM ----------

definitely, the skins need to bring in someone from the Nats. and teach RGIII to slide safely, and then he just needs to remember not to cut back into field of play...unless there's only one man to beat on his way to the house...

Some of you are being so scary yo. U think they told Adrian Peterson to "tone it down a bit" lmao no way. This is football, people are going to get hurt, yes even your QB(see almost everyone except Brett Farve).

That being said it would be retarded to just revamp alot of the playbook cause we're "scared" our QB is gonna go down. The kid has to learn how to protect himself like the best QBs do and we'll be fine If we keep building with what we got with this offense.

Robert is smart. It just seems like he wasn't too aware of how random injuries can be in the NFL. One could make the argument since he was 2nd overall pick, people have been targeting him more (when will it be time that someone blindsides Russel Wilson next time he's blocking for his RB?).

We've all experienced other QBs growing to become elites, and you can tell with Robert that if he just learns to avoid hard hits, he'll have an amazing career.

I say keep it, but only use it sparingly. RG3 has more potential as a pocket passer who occasionally runs than a pistol offense QB. He really has the potential to be the best passer in the league; great arm strength, accuracy, and decision making. Combine that with his running ability and he can be the best.

Scrap it.

Running inside is dumb for any NFL QB and insane for one off two knee surgeries.

Learn to slide? His slide is so ugly that he's more likely to re-injure the knee that way than by contact.

I can't think of any runs off the top of my head when Robert ran inside the tackles even on scrambles. The read option is designed so that when the QB runs its outside the DE or OLB depending on if its a 4-3 or 3-4 front.

I would think we will retain the read option as part of our playbook but with more traditional stretch runs in the running game. Play action will still be a big part of our passing game along with QB movement but more in the way Kirk was used in the Cleveland game with some read option added in on top of that. Assuming RGIII is ready for the start of the season - which my gut tells me is still very much in doubt - I would expect to see less running yards from RGIII but more passing yards.

Run the option, run the option until teams have us figured out and then adapt. RG3 was the most exciting thing in the NFL to watch this year, if we want a pocket passer then we can go Cousins, until then or until RG3 is too old to run effectively lets let this kid become the benchmark for what a 2013 nfl qb should be.

Get well RG3 and bring it back even stronger next season.

I can't think of any runs off the top of my head when Robert ran inside the tackles even on scrambles. The read option is designed so that when the QB runs its outside the DE or OLB depending on if its a 4-3 or 3-4 front.
I wasn't clear. I meant the inside lane of the two available on option plays. I'm not not concerned when he runs to the sidelines.
I would think we will retain the read option as part of our playbook but with more traditional stretch runs in the running game. Play action will still be a big part of our passing game along with QB movement but more in the way Kirk was used in the Cleveland game with some read option added in on top of that. Assuming RGIII is ready for the start of the season - which my gut tells me is still very much in doubt - I would expect to see less running yards from RGIII but more passing yards.
I hope you are wrong about the read-option. That will make it hard for me to watch the games.

Shame that RG3 is one of the best deep throwers in the league, but a concussion and a knee injury on a couple of runs in the read option in his rookie season is ominous. Hope and pray that he returns heathy, but it seems like the offense needs to change to keep him upright!

Thoughts?

Keep it.

First, the Zone-read part of their game was at the most ran 15% of the time. Jaws, Dilfer, Steve Young, and many others have plainly stated that most of what they ran out of the Pistol-Full house look was the old fashioned Mike Shannahan Stretch game. They just ran it out of the Pistol instead of a traditional I. And that's what gave defenses fits. They'd be expecting Zone-Read and then find themselves getting mashed with an inside or outside Zone run. (Where Robert would just pitch it or hand off to Alfred Morris).

The only play where Robert got hurt running the Zone-read was vs Atlanta. And he learned afterwards that he had to get down or out of bounds. Vs Baltimore he was dropping back. Couldn't find a receiver and scrambled out. He shoulda slid feet first; Wilson was an ex baseball player so he's comfortable with that. Vs Seattle, he was hurt dropping back or rolling out. In the zone-read he could control how or if he would be hit.

Mike's Zone Blocking System (ZBS) is run best with smaller, athletic linemen who can quickly get angles on defenders or get to the next to level on a combo block. (I've been running this for 10 years so I know the concepts well). The disadvantage with those smaller O-Linemen is that they struggle in traditional pass pro. Their Center (Montgomery) didn't have enough ass to stop Seattle's nose guard. Which is why he started struggling with his snaps. So if the Redskins (or Houston) are struggling with their running game or not running (which I blame Kyle for getting away from it after Morris was gashing Seattle in the first quarter) then their passing game will not be effective. Because it is usually based off play action. When Seattle respected RG III as a runner they were on their heels trying to guess what was coming next. Once they realized he couldn't move it was game over man!

The myth that a drop back passer is safer than a runner just isn't true. As a drop back passer you don't always have the option to choose when you're hit. Look at how many Pocket Passers that have been hurt. Brady and Cutler both blew out their ACL's as pocket passers. The Redskins broke Romo sits to pee's ribs when he was in the pocket. Broke Foles hand; in the pocket. Peyton was jacked up; in the pocket. Being a pocket passer is more dangerous to a QB because you'll get blown up from a blind side. Big Ben may slide but he's not a runner. Look how often he's been hurt; in the pocket. That said, Robert will have to learn that skill if he wants to be elite; this injury could be a blessing in that regard. That's why they struggled on 3rd and long. You have to know how to get thru your progressions in 3 seconds or less. At 1.5 seconds check primary [usually deep], 2 seconds read route [something like a Dig or Post-corner], 3 seconds your short route [shallow, drive, or a check release from a back]. Once you get to 3 seconds then you better start moving! Step up, slide or escape looking for a receiver to break off and work towards you. Rogers and his receivers are the best at Ad libbing. But Rogers misses some open receivers early in their routes and if you can keep him bottled up you can sack him.

I think the injury risk with RG3 will decrease over time, as he studies defenses and is able to get a better read. Right now he holds on to the ball for a while when his first or second read isn't there. Once he is able to get the ball out quicker because he has a better understanding of what defenses are doing, he'll be fine.

Archived