Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do the Skins keep the read option with RG3 or scrap it?

PigskinPhat

It is not a gamble, because the play is designed to give the quarterback as much space and time as possible to slide or get out of bunds before a defender can even touch him.

Your statement assumes that the QB will slide or get out of bounds before he's hit. RG3 doesn't slide very well. He often decides late and then his slide is slow in comparison to other QBs. Both SF and Seattle QBs slide much better than RG3. Even Captain Kirk slides better. I know CK played baseball and Kirk's slide shows that as well. I'm not sure if baseball was one of RG's sports.

RG3 also has a bad habit of slowing down as he's leaving the field of play. He needs to improve in sliding and exiting or the Skins will wind up with a spectacular QB who never plays a complete season (e.g., Vick).

I would give RG3 the edge on downfield touch, but ok. I would only give the edge to CK in knowing when to get down/get out of bounds. He hasn't proven to be the type of passer Griffin is. He doesn't have the same zip on his passes, nor is he as accurate as Griffin, allowing his receivers to run after the catch. If you switched WR corps, RG3 would've beaten every rookie passing statistic out there.
Don't know where some of you guys are saying CK doesn't have the zip or arm strength that Griffin does. CK used to be a standout pitcher, who threw in the mid to high 90s. He has at least as strong an arm as Griffin. I'd say it's a little bit stronger.

Your statement assumes that the QB will slide or get out of bounds before he's hit. RG3 doesn't slide very well. He often decides late and then his slide is slow in comparison to other QBs. Both SF and Seattle QBs slide much better than RG3. Even Captain Kirk slides better. I know CK played baseball and Kirk's slide shows that as well. I'm not sure if baseball was one of RG's sports.

RG3 also has a bad habit of slowing down as he's leaving the field of play. He needs to improve in sliding and exiting or the Skins will wind up with a spectacular QB who never plays a complete season (e.g., Vick).

That's exactly my point. It's not a scheme problem, it's a player problem. Out of the three QBs that used it the most, Griffin is the only one that has this issue and even he never got injured on a read option run.

I don't think you watched it today. He was clearly saying that the read option was the cause of RG3's injuries. He even mentioned it twice. And, as the other poster stated, Jaws was clueless to the fact that we only run it 7-8 times a game, as he talked about. I understand that your QB is more succeptible to injury if you run that kind of offense all the time. But we don't. And, like I said, Griffin didn't get hurt either time on read option plays. He got injured on scrambles (all QBs do these), and because he used poor judgement, by not going down sooner, or getting out of bounds.

I didnt watch it I just meant what I took his quote as. I'm just saying even if RG3 gets clear and falls down head first early like he did several times against Dallas, that doesnt stop soembody from still falling on top of him or rolling around on his legs or even some bumbling linemen tripping or being pushed in a pile and falling. We see it all the time. He also wont be able to always get down in time and the more he runs read option keepers the more he takes the chance for his legs being damaged.

Its just a risk you have to take imo though it is going to scare me to death next season..

He was clearly saying that the read option was the cause of RG3's injuries. He even mentioned it twice. And, as the other poster stated, Jaws was clueless to the fact that we only run it 7-8 times a game, as he talked about. I understand that your QB is more succeptible to injury if you run that kind of offense all the time. But we don't. And, like I said, Griffin didn't get hurt either time on read option plays. He got injured on scrambles (all QBs do these), and because he used poor judgement, by not going down sooner, or getting out of bounds.

Skins run the read option much more frequently than 7-8 times per game. 7-8 may be the number of times he decides to keep it off the read option. But I get your point. I believe the concussion came off a bootleg where he had the option to run it in for a TD or pass. Regardless of designed run, read option, or scramble he's going to take hits so he definitely needs to err on the side or sliding or getting out of bounds. I saw some improvement as the season went on but he's got a way to go.

---------- Post added January-21st-2013 at 10:33 PM ----------

That's exactly my point. It's not a scheme problem, it's a player problem. Out of the three QBs that used it the most, Griffin is the only one that has this issue and even he never got injured on a read option run.

Agreed.

Don't know where some of you guys are saying CK doesn't have the zip or arm strength that Griffin does. CK used to be a standout pitcher, who threw in the mid to high 90s. He has at least as strong an arm as Griffin. I'd say it's a little bit stronger.

The mechanics of throwing a football isn't like throwing a pitch. Your arm isn't the sole reason a quarterback is able to throw a good, strong ball. Nearly every muscle from the throwing side of your body, from your shoulder to your hamstring is involved. It's not purely an arm issue like in baseball. I'm not doubting his arm strength, but I am saying his passes are noticeably not as accurate as Griffin's. it's likely the mechanics of his throws that result in his passes coming out the way they do.

The mechanics of throwing a football isn't like throwing a pitch. Your arm isn't the sole reason a quarterback is able to throw a good, strong ball. Nearly every muscle from the throwing side of your body, from your shoulder to your hamstring is involved. It's not purely an arm issue like in baseball. I'm not doubting his arm strength, but I am saying his passes are noticeably not as accurate as Griffin's. it's likely the mechanics of his throws that result in his passes coming out the way they do.
Yeah, I know throwing a baseball and football are two entirely different things. I was a pitcher growing up. But his arm is still at least on par with Griffin's, arm strength-wise, imo. And I never mentioned anything about accuracy. But yeah, Griffin seems to have him beat in that area, so far.

And PlayAction: yeah, I meant he only keeps it about 7-8 times per game.

since Grossman wont be back, maybe Tebow (gulp) will be avail at a cheap price. I know I will hear from the peanut gallery on this one.

Idk about you, but I prefer my backups to be able to throw the ball properly after playing QB their whole lives.

Tebow is like the equivalent of an accountant who is still trying to learn his times tables.

The read option is definitely here to stay. It's a matter of numbers. The QB occupies one guy, giving the advantage in numbers back to the offense. I heard a guy today (either Trent Dilfer or Tim Hasselbeck) say the only way you can even up the numbers is to run cover zero and that if you do run cover zero, you're just asking to be burned by the pass in a one on one situation. I know Griffin loves those.

Listen, Griffin just needs to be more careful with himself, that's it. Bottom line is there are a number of guys in the NFL now that are gonna run the read option. Griff, Kaep, Wilson, Cam, I think Rodgers and Luck could run it if they wanted to. If you run it out of the pistol, its a pretty significant advantage to your run game because the mesh point is reached quicker, and with more depth for the RB. That gives the RB a better view of the blocking and more momentum. Nothing gimmicky about that.

I think Jaws is stuck in old school mode in his brain. On NFL Matchup they were saying all you have to do is have a guy mirror the QB to stop him from taking off. Sure, that's true, but that leaves one less defender taking on the RB. You saw that with Gore and James yesterday.The read option doesn't mean the QB takes off and runs. It means taking one of the defenders out of the play.

Also, the strategy of just knocking around the QB won't work because you're gonna get 15 yarders piled up.

There is no easy solution to this offense. There is always a little wrinkle to add.

Anyone else bugged by the RGIII read option comparisons to Wilson and Kaepernick? Those two came to teams with dominant O-lines and top receivers. They could afford to cut short their runs or throw the ball away because someone else was bound to make a play.

Anyone else bugged by the RGIII read option comparisons to Wilson and Kaepernick? Those two came to teams with dominant O-lines and top receivers. They could afford to cut short their runs or throw the ball away because someone else was bound to make a play.
I'm not bugged by the comparisons. If anything, with Kaepernick getting to the Super Bowl, it gives me even more hope that Griffin can eventually lead us there.

Yeah, I know throwing a baseball and football are two entirely different things. I was a pitcher growing up. But his arm is still at least on par with Griffin's, arm strength-wise, imo.

But arm strength isn't the only factor when it comes to throwing downfield. RG3 has better mechanics that allow him to throw further and with more accuracy than CK. Raw arm strength is only one element of a good deep ball.

RG3 is a better athlete than CK and has a better head on his shoulders. As our line continues to coalesce and we add more weapons to the WR corps over the years, our offense will be unstoppable. Hell, it made mincemeat of the supposedly impervious Seattle D until RG3 went down. We'll be fine. Better than fine.

Man, I hope he's close to what he was... I remember reading an article about halfway through the season that asked the question "are we seeing the best of RG3 now?" be interesting how it plays out. I hope if he will sit next year out if he is not fully rehabbed and ready next year. Come back with a passion in 14

I have a feeling that the knee will trouble him throughout his career, no matter how long or short it ends up being. I don't know what that means for Redskin fans or for the team. I just have trouble seeing him getting a 16 game season from now on.

But arm strength isn't the only factor when it comes to throwing downfield. RG3 has better mechanics that allow him to throw further and with more accuracy than CK. Raw arm strength is only one element of a good deep ball.

Kaepernick has some of the best numbers in the league throwing the deep ball so not sure where you are getting this arm strength (his arm is ridiculously strong) and accuracy analysis from.

RG3 is a better athlete than CK and has a better head on his shoulders. As our line continues to coalesce and we add more weapons to the WR corps over the years, our offense will be unstoppable. Hell, it made mincemeat of the supposedly impervious Seattle D until RG3 went down. We'll be fine. Better than fine.

Better head on his shoulders? What the hell are you basing that off of?

I would say different athletes and built differently but RG3 is absolutely more agile and faster I will give you that but they are built very differently which plays a factor.

I think both guys will be great quarterbacks and throw in Wilson and Newton and the NFC is loaded with young quarterback talent it should be a fun next couple of years.

Go back and watch the first two drives against Seattle (and really the third drive, the inc. pass on third down was there if he could step into the throw). That, coupled with a tight end that we can motion into the slot or outside the WR as well as a RB that we can do the same with can do amazing things. Oh, and some OL upgrades. :)

This O has the ability to carry the team in the future.

The read-option provides an added dimension to Kyle's offense. The inside running game with the read option, stretch zone running, bootlegs, and keepers ALL look the same to the defense. As many others have already stated, RG3 just needs to be smarter (or wiser) about protecting himself on the field regardless of the play or breakdown of play.

The read-option is going to stay. I'm more interested in the development of an improved 3rd down offense. That's where better pass protection from the OL (or RT) and improvements in WR will pay dividends not only for 3rd downs but also first and second for read-option. In college the read-option will often break down because the QB isn't a good passer. Defenses commit to run defense and wait for the QB to make a mistake in passing. RG3 is a good passer already but as he gets better and the WRs get better the read-option will be even more effective.

Go back and watch the first two drives against Seattle (and really the third drive, the inc. pass on third down was there if he could step into the throw). That, coupled with a tight end that we can motion into the slot or outside the WR as well as a RB that we can do the same with can do amazing things. Oh, and some OL upgrades. :)

This O has the ability to carry the team in the future.

This! Also, look at how effective it was for the 9ers this past weekend. Two TDs scored using it if I'm remembering correctly. And you're right... OL is critical.

why does Redskins fans hate the truth? My Son and I were talking this morning and I asked him to compare RG3 VS. CK and who he would rather have.... he stated(of course) RG3!!!

This is the criteria I used-

Leadership- Tie. Both have showed to be field Generals

Running/Scrambling- RG3 (at least pre injury)

Down field touch- CK

Pocket presence- CK

Play action/ball handling- RG3. he's a magician with the fakes.

Arm strength- Seems to pretty equalStrength/durability- CK he's got 20 lbs on RG3

Smarts- knowing when to slide, run OB, throw the ball away etc... CK

I said all things equal I have to give the edge to CK, especially considering the current comparitive health of the two. CK seems to know how to get down and avoid the hits, RG3 doesnt and it's cost him(and us)

Really? The knock on Kirk was that his arm strength was good, but not great, but good enough for the NFL, while Griffin had Jamarcus Russell type arm strength. Sorry, but this and most of your assessments are incorrect.

griffin didn't get hurt on any read option plays, and its presence does three key things:

1) gets us pretty reliable yards

2) consumes a large portion of the other team's defensive preparation during the week despite only being used a handful of times per game and

3) overloads the minds of defenders during the game with all the stuff they have to worry about, opening them up to more opportunities to be indecisive or make mistakes. i would bet those long bombs griffin kept throwing with the receiver wiiiide open (niles paul, moss, robinson all got in on it) were due to the threat of the read option.

Archived