Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Going into the offseason, how is RG3 progressing as a pure passer?

Bacon

This is a fairly generic offseason thread, but I think with some of RG3's recent struggles, it's worth taking a look at the bigger picture and determining how far he's come and what we might expect in 2013.

At this point in time, RG3 stands tall as one of the most efficient, intelligent passers in the NFL, and I think it is fair to say that this overarching trend will continue into 2013 as he gains experience reading defenses. Clearly, RG3 is more than a running quarterback. Though his strength is intimidating defenses through sleight of hand and extending plays, he can also stay in the pocket and deliver accurate strikes.

However, the end of this season showed a significant decline in RG3's accuracy and decision-making. He had an increased tendency to throw high and deliver to the fingertips of receivers, rather than connect to the body. It's a safe bet that this can be blamed on his inability to plant, but some of his decisions have been poor. The pick he had today was underthrown, but the coverage was great and I consider that an unnecessary reach with the lead in tow. He also needs to learn to throw the ball away. In the second Philly game, there was a rollout that was always going to result in an incomplete pass, but he chose to throw across his body into coverage. He never gives up on a play, and that's admirable, but sometimes that leads him to make poor decisions. Is there reason to be concerned about his last two, relatively crappy games going forward?

On an unrelated topic, I'm interested to see how significantly we lean on the pistol in 2013, assuming Kyle sticks around. There is a great deal of (unfounded) criticism toward the pistol, suggesting that it has inhibited RG3's ability to learn how to read defenses, though I think, if anything, the "problem" is that our receivers are getting open too easily. :ols: I can't see the pistol being phased out or marginalized, but I could see the playbook being expanded now that he has excelled at the "basics."

I think the progression has been fine. A lot of the mental side of things in terms of decision making and switching between reads has been there. The problem has been in terms of accuracy...a problem with putting the ball in the places he'd normally be able to drop them into. This was especially true in the Dallas game and this game, where it seemed balls were going high more than they normally do for him. I think the lack of planting has been hurting and why he hasn't had giant games since the injury....but I think that the other aspects have been improving throughout the season.

this offense is pretty basic in my eyes. on all the read option play fakes, it's 1 receiver going deep to clear out the side of the field, and 1 intermediate route going over the middle. that seems to be the most prevalent big play in the arsenal. if those guys aren't open, then RG3 has to use his legs to buy time, which the injury hurt in that regard. i said it after the bye that i would like to see more pro-sets since the season was a stretch. towards the end of the season, it was basically shutdown, almost a 50 yard decrease from the bye onwards. we went on a run, but we will have problems going up against good secondaries if we don't add a few more wrinkles, and route combos. i just feel that while that we have a limited set of plays that we run out of the the different sets of the pistol we run. i expect the shanahans to expand the playbook a bit, or change the game plan to one similar to what kirk ran against cleveland, and then sprinkle in the read option. this will have two effects in my eyes, the offense will be less predictable, and RG3's health will be better in the long run. bottom line is that RG3 is going to have to learn to play under center to keep defenses more off balance.

I was actually going to start a thread very similar to this one.

I love RG3, but I think we've overrated him as a passer. The strength of his passing game has been how wide open these receivers have gotten thanks largely in part to the scheme. His worst games throwing have come when he hasn't been able to run and thus, not let the scheme work to it's fullest. Which leads me to basically two conclusions:

1. We need to get a RG3esque player to fill in when RG3 is hurt. This option is going to prove difficult because I can't think of anyone who I'd be comfortable playing in about three games every year. At least 1-2 he would be starting.

2. We need to drop the college offense entirely and focus on making RG3 a pro-style QB. If we go this route, I think we will have more growing pains then people expect. I said previously that I think we've drastically overrated his passing skills. That said, I think he can become a pro-style QB. And I think if we don't do this, then he may only have the life span of a great RB.

I believe the first two drives of tonight's game should be what we strive for. Run the RB, pass the ball, and let Griffin run from time to time simply to move the chains. The long-term future with Griffin at QB will be more pocket passing and timely plays with his legs. I have no doubt that he can continue to pass the ball as well or better than he did as a rookie.

He was progressing just fine, until when he injured it vs the Ravens. Its difficult for any QB to be an effective passer if he can't plant correctly... Its obvious he hasn't been the same since.

I agree. I also think the lack of traditional passing game is slowing is development as a pocket passer though. You only get better with things through experience. The pistol puts so much pressure on opposing defenses so I'm not saying don't employ it, I would like to see a little more of Texans style of play calling

I agree. I also think the lack of traditional passing game is slowing is development as a pocket passer though. You only get better with things through experience. The pistol puts so much pressure on opposing defenses so I'm not saying don't employ it, I would like to see a little more of Texans style of play calling

you can't run a traditional offense until you get a line. RG3 and pistol offense hides all that. When Kirk wasn't blitzed, he completed passes, they blitzed him on 3rd and 4th and look what he did nothing!

He is holding the ball too long and his pocket awareness can be better. He seems to wait too long to break the pocket. He needs to learn to slide out at the top of his drop if nothing is there to buy a little time instead of standing there

He is holding the ball too long and his pocket awareness can be better. He seems to wait too long to break the pocket. He needs to learn to slide out at the top of his drop if nothing is there to buy a little time instead of standing there

Agree. He has to "climb the pocket" much better and get rid of the ball.

Right now he has the luxury of "being sure" if someone is open before letting the ball go. He needs to make more throws like he did to Royster on the TD pass where he stuck the ball in there because he has that ability.

Without going back to past games, wasn't he doing that, designed rollouts to buy time to go down field? I think the knee injury has really reduced his mobility and Kyle was calling the plays accordingly.

We lose one game and people are questioning the man's passing skills. RG3 is going to be fine. All that really needs to happen for this team to have success is to get healthy and stop with the QB designed keepers. Once in awhile is fine, but it cannot be a staple in your offense. The running game is already there, RG3's skill set as both a runner and a passer are there...so as soon as this coaching staff learns to stop sending RG3 on suicide missions with these designed keepers and everyone gets healthy, WE'RE GOLDEN PONY-BOY!!!

I agree with this, especially tonight. He seemed to be holding onto the ball way too long and that obviously doesn't have anything to do with his knee. I'm not sure if he lost confidence or what

I truly think it takes a QB 2-3(maybe even more, given the circumstance) seasons of starting in the NFL to see what you are ultimately going to get out of them.

For starters, it is extremely hard to judge a rookie QB's tendencies as something that is going to plague them beyond their first season or two in the season.

Rookies, for the most part play like rookies. As good as RGIII has been, there are plenty of times he could have been better, but it isn't realistic to think the RGIII we saw in 2012, is the same one that will be throwing passes in 2015.

Lastly, considering RGIII played the last 4 games of the 2012 season, and the playoff game, on a knee he could not plant his throws on. It is hard to criticize his accuracy. Not being able to plant your weight on your non-throwing leg is a HUGE DEAL.

I think up until his injury he proved that he is an exceptional passer. I do think the scheme plays some role in the success he had. With the solid running game and success on play action due to the running game, that cannot be ignored. We need to continue to upgrade out WR core. When playing tight man to man we don't have guys who can win those battles. I think we have seen this happen the last two weeks. You simply cannot throw the ball to someone who is not open.

I think he's coming along. He didn't run a traditional passing attack in college, so it's going to take him more time to adjust. His accuracy, when healthy, is pretty good, which is something you can't teach.With another offseason, more study, and more repetition, he'll speed up his process a little more and be a little more decisive.

I don't think he'll ever be as good a passer as rodgers, manning, etc. But he really doesn't need to be, if he can do enough, and make enough plays with his feet to get W's.

I really want to see RG3 run the offense Cousins ran against Cleveland. That takes advantage of his speed and mobility getting to the outside where he has a clear view of the defense and also allows him the chance to run near the sideline if its open.

I have no problem with the pistol but I think we need to work on a more traditional offense and break out a read option a few times a game only to keep defenses off guard. If they don't see it for 3 quarters then suddenly in a big 4th quarter 3rd down it would be nearly unstoppable. Pus this limits the potential for Griffin to get hurt.

It doesn't help Griffin develop if we rely solely on read option or Pa and he has 2 Wr run routes where if they are covered, who knows what the heck the plan is.

Archived