Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Going into the offseason, how is RG3 progressing as a pure passer?

Bacon

RGIII is already a top notch passer. LMMFAO he's hurt and has been hurt since the Philly game. Just look at his throws...Garcon wide open he threw a high pass? Smh RGIII doesn't throw high passes that's call injured. I think fans just get caught up in emotion. SMH if RGIII is healthy he'll throw for 300 plus yards. SMH he did throw for over 3000 yrds in a season that he only played in 13 and 1/2 games. 20 td's......LMAO this is just very funny to me please continue on how RGIII is not a passer lls

I feel as though this has been a bridge offense this season. I think his skill set (and the offense with him) will continue to develop over time.

I can definitely see that too. He does need to play smarter in getting rid of the ball faster and sliding. Other than that, I think we go back to a more traditional offense next year as he continues to develop and we start beasting on people.

---------- Post added January-6th-2013 at 11:50 PM ----------

RGIII is already a top notch passer. LMMFAO he's hurt and has been hurt since the Philly game. Just look at his throws...Garcon wide open he threw a high pass? Smh RGIII doesn't throw high passes that's call injured. I think fans just get caught up in emotion. SMH if RGIII is healthy he'll throw for 300 plus yards. SMH he did throw for over 3000 yrds in a season that he only played in 13 and 1/2 games. 20 td's......LMAO this is just very funny to me please continue on how RGIII is not a passer lls

I think the concern is that most of his passes were off play action where he hits his first read. I don't know the stats to back that up but that sure seemed to be the case. We struggled all year in 3rd and long situations or playing from behind in situations when the run wasn't respected or a feared options.That signals to me that we don't have a very good traditional passing game, which means we need to improve in the offseason.

I can definitely see that too. He does need to play smarter in getting rid of the ball faster and sliding. Other than that, I think we go back to a more traditional offense next year as he continues to develop and we start beasting on people.

---------- Post added January-6th-2013 at 11:50 PM ----------

I think the concern is that most of his passes were off play action where he hits his first read. I don't know the stats to back that up but that sure seemed to be the case. We struggled all year in 3rd and long situations or playing from behind in situations when the run wasn't respected or a feared options.That signals to me that we don't have a very good traditional passing game, which means we need to improve in the offseason.

Actuallly RGIII is not the only QB that makes throws off the play action. SMH, don't believe all of that media propaganda garbage go off the eye test. Example, I watched Andrew Luck today play against the Ravens 98% of his passes were to the "first read" but they media wasn't pointing it out to you today so you paid no attention to it. Also they have brain washed people so much that I don't think any one else even knew that Luck wasn't going through all of his reads & progressions like the ESPN's of the world will hype you up to believe. RGIII has targeted more WR that are not his "first read" in the NFL to every QB besides Brady and (P)Manning. RGIII was throwing to guys like Hankerson,Paulsen, and Moss they are third options most of the time. LMFAO like is said it's politcs baby. They want to downplay RGIII passing abilty to make the others guys have a chance at winning the ROY. You think it's and conspiracy do you? I'll give you a hint Think about the RGIII 76 yrd scramble against the Minny this season. Notice how the comentary says" great play call by Kyle, the design draw" LLS, I already knew by the formation that it wasn't a design QB draw, but it took many of the others to hear it from RGIII mouth that it was a read by RGIII. Look at the two td passes from this game ???????? None of them were first read passes lmao. You said RGIII can't play from behind what do you call the first NYG game ??? The Drive 80+ yrds up the feild to throw a beauty to Moss for the GW td,but we have no defense so the rest is history. Like I said don't believe the hype. This is the NFL if RGIII was just making 1st read like they say he's doing defenses would have figured that crap out. Or Every QB would have been doing it. Oh but Tony Romo sits to pee is already passer ready LLH you gotta love the media and the crap they put out

He's a real good passer, but there are things he can work on. Mainly, stepping up into the pocket. Too many times he just runs backwards and away. It works because of his speed and athleticism but the good QBs step up and deliver strikes. Obviously today he was hurt, but even when healthy he struggled at that.

He is holding the ball too long and his pocket awareness can be better. He seems to wait too long to break the pocket. He needs to learn to slide out at the top of his drop if nothing is there to buy a little time instead of standing there

I would agree with this, but I also think his accuracy when he does throw is elite. The games he played injured he was throwing with his upper body unable to plant and it lead to some errant throws. Don't expect to see that when he's healthy again.

The ball will sail high if you don't drive off your back leg and muscle through the throw. In case you were wondering, his back leg is injured. He is already one of the best passers in the league, but when you run for 2000 yards as a team, you don't need Luck-esque yardage to win...you are already winning.

This is the wrong team if you want a ridiculously large passing offense - this is Shanny's smash mouth zone fest. We may run for 3k yards next year.

HTTR

Sometimes I get the feeling people don't realize that we don't run the pistol formation every single down. When RGIII is healthy that formation is so effective it makes people think we run it more than we do. RGIII has been actually quite effective as a passer out of the traditional play action fake.

Actuallly, ....

I understand that but it definitely seems like the PA is the strongest component to our passing game and we aren't nearly as effective without it where other teams can.We need to improve that because there are a lot of situations where we struggle without the being able to threaten the run. Also, do you have the stats to show that Griffin has completed more passes to his non 1st read than anyone but Manning or Brady? I haven't heard or seen that yet.

---------- Post added January-7th-2013 at 12:44 AM ----------

Sometimes I get the feeling people don't realize that we don't run the pistol formation every single down. When RGIII is healthy that formation is so effective it makes people think we run it more than we do. RGIII has been actually quite effective as a passer out of the traditional play action fake.

Definitely agree but we need to improve our passing game outside of PA too. It's probably our biggest weakness on offense right now which is why we have struggled at 3rd and long all season.

I understand that but it definitely seems like the PA is the strongest component to our passing game and we aren't nearly as effective without it where other teams can.We need to improve that because there are a lot of situations where we struggle without the being able to threaten the run. Also, do you have the stats to show that Griffin has completed more passes to his non 1st read than anyone but Manning or Brady? I haven't heard or seen that yet.

---------- Post added January-7th-2013 at 12:44 AM ----------

Definitely agree but we need to improve our passing game outside of PA too. It's probably our biggest weakness on offense right now which is why we have struggled at 3rd and long all season.

98% P Manning is throwing out of the PA too. It's chess not checkers. You play the game to win ( Herm Edwards) When your QB has one of the highest QB rating in the NFL that is no Fluke buddy. RGIII doesn't convert on 3rd down LMAO... Why don't they ever mentiion that our WR corps has set a NFL record for the most drops on third down in NFL history. Hell, didn't this WR group have the most drops in a season in the NFL's history too? Like I said RGIII is already pass ready. Don't you watch Gruden camp? Did you ever hear them talking about PA or 1st reads that RGIII does or doesn't make lmao...Oh but now I guess RGIII has forgotten all of that. Like I said a 10000 times already. Dont believe the Hype. RGIII is the best pure passer out of all of the rookies. Buahahahahahah Luck throwing to Reggie Wayne every play is not a first read because Luck runs Pro style offense lol..Propaganda smh

RG3 is good but he can be better. but here are my takeaways

1. He was hurt this year so I know he took sacks he normally would not, but sometimes he does have a tendancy to take sacks where he should escape from the pocket

2. His WR's didnt help him this year. They've been dropping critical passes all year

3. We struggle to protect in pure passing situations

98% P Manning is throwing out of the PA too. It's chess not checkers. You play the game to win ( Herm Edwards) When your QB has one of the highest QB rating in the NFL that is no Fluke buddy. RGIII doesn't convert on 3rd down LMAO... Why don't they ever mentiion that our WR corps has set a NFL record for the most drops on third down in NFL history. Hell, didn't this WR group have the most drops in a season in the NFL's history too? Like I said RGIII is already pass ready. Don't you watch Gruden camp? Did you ever hear them talking about PA or 1st reads that RGIII does or doesn't make lmao...Oh but now I guess RGIII has forgotten all of that. Like I said a 10000 times already. Dont believe the Hype. RGIII is the best pure passer out of all of the rookies. Buahahahahahah Luck throwing to Reggie Wayne every play is not a first read because Luck runs Pro style offense lol..Propaganda smh

I'm not sure why you are coming at me like that, I never said he wasn't a pure passer, i think he is phenomenal. but It can't be disputed that we are not nearly as effective when we don't have the play action and it has hurt us many times this year when teams know we are going to pass. We can't just line up and pass away like the Pats, Broncos Falcons etc can.

I never saw a stat about breaking the record for dropped passes, that sounds inaccurate but maybe I am wrong. I remember looking a few weeks after Pitt and we seemed to be in line with other teams in terms of dropped passes.

I am not buying into any media hype and I never once brought up Andrew Luck. I was speaking specifically about Griffin and what I have observed is that we do not pass well without play action. There are a lot of factors for that, one being that our WR have trouble getting separation without play action too. Whatever the case, it needs to improve.

There were a lot of instances this year where we would pass of the read option and hit the slant or deep in and it worked like a charm. In most of those cases where we ran out of the pistol, there were only 2 WR running routes. I just don't think it helps Griffin to pigeon hole him into 2WR route pass plays that are primarily effective because the play action. Sure it works and works extremely well all season but I think the endgame here is sort of a hybrid Greeb Bay/Houston type of offense and I question whether this gets us there.

Please provide any stats that you can to back up the claims you are making as I would be happy to see them.

Griffin is amazing and can do it all. He is a great passer but that doesn't mean he can't improve and if I had to pick, that would be the area to improve on this offseason. A traditional passing game without play action.

I'm not sure why you are coming at me like that, I never said he wasn't a pure passer, i think he is phenomenal. but It can't be disputed that we are not nearly as effective when we don't have the play action and it has hurt us many times this year when teams know we are going to pass. We can't just line up and pass away like the Pats, Broncos Falcons etc can.

I never saw a stat about breaking the record for dropped passes, that sounds inaccurate but maybe I am wrong. I remember looking a few weeks after Pitt and we seemed to be in line with other teams in terms of dropped passes.

I am not buying into any media hype and I never once brought up Andrew Luck. I was speaking specifically about Griffin and what I have observed is that we do not pass well without play action. There are a lot of factors for that, one being that our WR have trouble getting separation without play action too. Whatever the case, it needs to improve.

There were a lot of instances this year where we would pass of the read option and hit the slant or deep in and it worked like a charm. In most of those cases where we ran out of the pistol, there were only 2 WR running routes. I just don't think it helps Griffin to pigeon hole him into 2WR route pass plays that are primarily effective because the play action. Sure it works and works extremely well all season but I think the endgame here is sort of a hybrid Greeb Bay/Houston type of offense and I question whether this gets us there.

Please provide any stats that you can to back up the claims you are making as I would be happy to see them.

Griffin is amazing and can do it all. He is a great passer but that doesn't mean he can't improve and if I had to pick, that would be the area to improve on this offseason. A traditional passing game without play action.

Not coming at you bruh just chill. Im making a point if you take the PA out of PManning he's just a normal QB too. That's my point. Is RGIII on a PM ,Brady level yet ? Hell no, but Im just making the point that we are already there. No Qb does well on 3rd and long that's not a opinion that is a fact. No Qb is as good with out the threat of the PA,not a opinion its a fact. We could have RGIII throw 55 passes a game and the media will say somthing about that too. Hell, RGIII is one of the NFL's top rated passers??? I dont care if he's throwing the ball with his ****ing stomach, it works. This is what I am getting at. When RGIII was the Nfl number one rated passer, and I heard " it's because he throws to his first read" I started laughing. Its called down playing. They want to brain wash to thinking that RGIII isn't this good it's the system and the players around him! LMFAo Now it's RGIII players that are around him smh. People are coming up with some of the dumbest reasons for RGIII success and it doesn't make sense to me. When we do run "Pro Style" offense you don't hear them say nothing,but stuff like " Can't get any more wide open than that" or somthing. Does RGIII the rookie have things to learn? Yes, but it's not like he is Mike Vick or Newton or some one. Yeah, man try googling it.. I think they said the Redskins WR's set the nfl's record for the most dropped passes in a season I think they were at 30 drops this season.

Talk about knee jerk reactions. Do you people not remember the first Dallas game? What about the eagles and Giants games? RG3 is fine, you know why he sucked the past 2 games? CAUSE HIS KNEE IS TORE UP.

Listen, for those that dont get it, when your PLANTING leg is hurt, your not going to throw right. Heres an easy way to see how hard it is. Go outside, get a football, now throw the ball 20 yards BUT put all the weight on your back foot instead of your plant leg. Hard isnt it?

I think people need to calm down, seriously, its a been ridiculous. This guy had a 66% completion and 102.5 rating, hes fine.

The ONE thing that I can honestly say is that when Griffin rolls out is when hes at his deadliest. How Wilson rolled out alot vs us yesterday, thats what we need to be doing more of.

I think RG3 will evlolve into a better pocket passer next season there are a few things he needs to work on but most rookies go through these growing pains:

1. Holding on to the ball too long at times

2. Climbing the ladder in the pocket as it begins to collapse

More importantly though I think the o-line is not a great traditional drop back pass blocking line. They are built on everything looking like a run and many passes working off play action so when they are asked to straight up pass block, in a traditional sense, they struggle a great deal, particularly Tyler Polumbus. When Seattle knew we had to pass they sent Irvin over Polumbus and he dogged him every time. The challenge will be finding o linemen that can both block for the strech zone read and the pass plays off that and at the same time that can block in a traditional pass blocking sense. Those talents, however are usually found in 1st round picks such as Trent Williams.

I think RG3 will evlolve into a better pocket passer next season there are a few things he needs to work on but most rookies go through these growing pains:

1. Holding on to the ball too long at times

2. Climbing the ladder in the pocket as it begins to collapse

More importantly though I think the o-line is not a great traditional drop back pass blocking line. They are built on everything looking like a run and many passes working off play action so when they are asked to straight up pass block, in a traditional sense, they struggle a great deal, particularly Tyler Polumbus. When Seattle knew we had to pass they sent Irvin over Polumbus and he dogged him every time. The challenge will be finding o linemen that can both block for the strech zone read and the pass plays off that and at the same time that can block in a traditional pass blocking sense. Those talents, however are usually found in 1st round picks such as Trent Williams.

Free agency, free agency, free agency :)

We need to cleatr some space. Heres a question, do we keep Fred Davis? Paulsen played very well this year.

Cut the fat guys like Jamaal the bum Brown, restructure Deangelo, and sign some new guys.

We need a RT, we need an RT SOOOO bad. We also need a CB and a safety and even a guard. We have lots of work to do.

Free agency, free agency, free agency :)

We need to cleatr some space. Heres a question, do we keep Fred Davis? Paulsen played very well this year.

Cut the fat guys like Jamaal the bum Brown, restructure Deangelo, and sign some new guys.

We need a RT, we need an RT SOOOO bad. We also need a CB and a safety and even a guard. We have lots of work to do.

Problem is we wont have much cap space to work with even with releases/restructures that cap penatly really did us in big time. Im sure we'll be able to sign some FA but the answer may not lay there this off-season, but it may not lay in the draft either since we dont have a 1st rounder.

To be fair two of the long throws.. the int and incompletion, it looked like RGIII didn't get as much zip on it as he usually does. Now whether that's because his hand was hurting or because of the knee I dunno. but it was at that point I began questioning if he was healthy enough to play.

He has been off on his throws for the last few games. Cousins came in and all of a sudden, wrs got open and Hankerson can catch. Go figure. RG3 could use some time Dan Marino passing camp this offseason.

This worried me. Had those WR's caught the ball, we might have had a tiny tiny chance. I don't know why RG3 is throwing like crap lately but it's worrying me a little. If its his knee causing that, he needed to be sat after the second quarter. If he has torn his ACL, he probably won't be back before the season starts which means he won't have any time to get used to a healthy knee before he's thrown to the wolves. I hope to God that he gets his crap together by next year or all heck is going to break loose in DC. I'm a huge fan of him but the last 3-4 games have really worried me about his accuracy.

Don't crucify me, we're all just making assumptions at this point and this is just how I feel.

RG3 to me is one of the most accurate passers in the league.

Except when he is banged up and can't plant on his back leg correctly. sailing high passes is indicative of a bad plant leg.

The main difference these past few games was the knee injury. If he recovers from that I'd expect a more accurate guy to start 2013/14 campaign.

Except when he is banged up and can't plant on his back leg correctly. sailing high passes is indicative of a bad plant leg.

The main difference these past few games was the knee injury. If he recovers from that I'd expect a more accurate guy to start 2013/14 campaign.

I also think his leg has been affecting his passes ever since he hurt it,which like you said he can't plant it correctly,which in turn has his passes sailing high. Him banging his hand on Trent's helmet did not help the situation at all last night!!

No doubt. No matter what he says, his knee clearly affected his accuracy the past two games

No doubt. No matter what he says, his knee clearly affected his accuracy the past two games

I agree, but think its more than just the knee. Its the whole offensive system. It is completely designed around his legs. The passing game is very limited, much like the run game really is. We have basically 3 run plays. The confusion his running ability and fakes cause defenses allows success in the extremely limited passing game. He is a one-read QB right now by design. They didn't develop him more because it worked. The run or threat of him running made his first read open very often, so the passing game looked effective. He can't run now which not only makes Alf less effective, but all but eliminates the one read passing game.

Archived