Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Going into the offseason, how is RG3 progressing as a pure passer?

Bacon

Not coming at you bruh just chill. Im making a point if you take the PA out of PManning he's just a normal QB too. That's my point. Is RGIII on a PM ,Brady level yet ? Hell no, but Im just making the point that we are already there. No Qb does well on 3rd and long that's not a opinion that is a fact. No Qb is as good with out the threat of the PA,not a opinion its a fact. We could have RGIII throw 55 passes a game and the media will say somthing about that too. Hell, RGIII is one of the NFL's top rated passers??? I dont care if he's throwing the ball with his ****ing stomach, it works. This is what I am getting at. When RGIII was the Nfl number one rated passer, and I heard " it's because he throws to his first read" I started laughing. Its called down playing. They want to brain wash to thinking that RGIII isn't this good it's the system and the players around him! LMFAo Now it's RGIII players that are around him smh. People are coming up with some of the dumbest reasons for RGIII success and it doesn't make sense to me. When we do run "Pro Style" offense you don't hear them say nothing,but stuff like " Can't get any more wide open than that" or somthing. Does RGIII the rookie have things to learn? Yes, but it's not like he is Mike Vick or Newton or some one. Yeah, man try googling it.. I think they said the Redskins WR's set the nfl's record for the most dropped passes in a season I think they were at 30 drops this season.

The point is that Manning, Brady, Rodgers, Romo sits to pee etc can throw the ball 50 times a game with little or no PA involved and still walk out with 300+ yards 3TDs and a win where I dont think we could because our offense isn't built that way.

We can't line up consistently when everyone knows we are going to pass and just pass away to great success. At least we couldn't this year. Im not saying its RG3's fault, because he had dominated the league and done everything our coaches asked of him and more. But the offense needs to evolve. And the fact of the matter is that Griffin needs to get more comfortable and get more experience throwing from 3, 4 and 5 WR sets without the advantage of Playaction to freeze the defense.

If we are planning on being a playoff contender for a long time we are going to come across defenses that can shut down the run and also we are going to play from behind some where we have to abandon the run. We need to improve our offense for situations like this.

If we are planning on being a playoff contender for a long time we are going to come across defenses that can shut down the run and also we are going to play from behind some where we have to abandon the run. We need to improve our offense for situations like this.

Ding ding ding!

He was progressing just fine, until when he injured it vs the Ravens. Its difficult for any QB to be an effective passer if he can't plant correctly... Its obvious he hasn't been the same since.

I think that's the number reason for the decline in his accuracy.

Decision making however...I dunno. I think he was getting too caught up in his INT #s to take some of the shots he was taking earlier in the year. He has to make strides as a pocket QB passer to make the infrequent read/option more effective. I think he can do that with a healthy knee.

I agree, but think its more than just the knee. Its the whole offensive system. It is completely designed around his legs. The passing game is very limited, much like the run game really is. We have basically 3 run plays. The confusion his running ability and fakes cause defenses allows success in the extremely limited passing game. He is a one-read QB right now by design. They didn't develop him more because it worked. The run or threat of him running made his first read open very often, so the passing game looked effective. He can't run now which not only makes Alf less effective, but all but eliminates the one read passing game.

you may be right but he missed open receivers consistently yesterday. guys were open and he couldn't deliver on that bad knee. the system was still working yesterday and if he didn't reinjure that knee, i believe we win.

russell wilson played okay and so did their defense, but the Seahawks were far from world beaters yesterday. They got lucky RG3 tweaked that knee early

Week 1 was probably the most "typical NFL offense" we ran all season with Griffin. I believe it was the only game he had Garcon and Davis healthy for the entire game?

I don't know if availability of his weapons affect the playcalling, but that game seemed like a normal offense.

Week 1 was probably the most "typical NFL offense" we ran all season with Griffin. I believe it was the only game he had Garcon and Davis healthy for the entire game?

I don't know if availability of his weapons affect the playcalling, but that game seemed like a normal offense.

Yea it did for the most part. That was exactly the type of game plan we need to run next year. A few QB runs to keep the defense honest, but mostly pocket passing.

Also, Garcon was hurt in the first quarter of that game so he wasn't even healthy the full game

Decision making however...I dunno. I think he was getting too caught up in his INT #s to take some of the shots he was taking earlier in the year. He has to make strides as a pocket QB passer to make the infrequent read/option more effective. I think he can do that with a healthy knee.

He does make some weird throws when he's running toward the sideline.

3 things I don't like about his pass game

to me it seems he holds the ball too long in the pocket.

He seems to lock into a receiver too much

When the pressure comes almost always seems to run left or right, he needs to learn to step up in the pocket and throw the ball, not run.

I think there were a few minor problems, he sometimes holds onto the ball too long, but for the most part, prior to the knee injury he looked fine.

The knee injury made things incredibly difficult, as he couldn't plant his weight, and as such his throws were off compared to what they would normally be.

I suspect his performances in the future once his knee is healed will be closer to the first Dallas game, rather than closer to yesterday (post 1st quarter).

This worried me. Had those WR's caught the ball, we might have had a tiny tiny chance. I don't know why RG3 is throwing like crap lately but it's worrying me a little. If its his knee causing that, he needed to be sat after the second quarter. If he has torn his ACL, he probably won't be back before the season starts which means he won't have any time to get used to a healthy knee before he's thrown to the wolves. I hope to God that he gets his crap together by next year or all heck is going to break loose in DC. I'm a huge fan of him but the last 3-4 games have really worried me about his accuracy.

Don't crucify me, we're all just making assumptions at this point and this is just how I feel.

Agreed, it got to a point yesterday that I wanted to combine Cousins and RG3 into 1 player.

3 things I don't like about his pass game

to me it seems he holds the ball too long in the pocket.

He seems to lock into a receiver too much

When the pressure comes almost always seems to run left or right, he needs to learn to step up in the pocket and throw the ball, not run.

Holding onto the ball was evident yesterday but I believe his confidence to throw was shot yesterday. Most of the season he was getting rid of the ball quickly and accurately.

People forget that he is a ROOKIE and still put up phenomenal numbers. He clearly wasn't passing the same after his injury, and it was affecting him both mentally and physically.

Let him heal up, add where we are lacking, and let's lock and load for 2013

As great as he was this year, Its clear that he still has yet to improve as a pocket passer. And i have 0% doubt that he's capable of doing so.

Being in SD I remember seeing Philip Rivers in the '08 AFC championship game the week after he tore his ACL in his right knee, played, and went 19-37, 209 yards and two picks. Not amazing numbers but pretty good considering his situation. Bob says he wants to be like Aaron Rodgers, Manning and Steve Young. He has a long way to go. Experts say read progression is the last thing on the list of things to teach him. I would move it up higher on the list, but yea he says he's a passer first, but I feel he basically is a running QB with decent passsing skills but he has to improve them going into next season. Get well soon.

The point is that Manning, Brady, Rodgers, Romo sits to pee etc can throw the ball 50 times a game with little or no PA involved and still walk out with 300+ yards 3TDs and a win where I dont think we could because our offense isn't built that way.

We can't line up consistently when everyone knows we are going to pass and just pass away to great success. At least we couldn't this year. Im not saying its RG3's fault, because he had dominated the league and done everything our coaches asked of him and more. But the offense needs to evolve. And the fact of the matter is that Griffin needs to get more comfortable and get more experience throwing from 3, 4 and 5 WR sets without the advantage of Playaction to freeze the defense.

Like I said already, Manning uses the PA pass 88% of the time. That is Manning's best tool the PA...watch how many PA you'll see against the Ravens next week. I bet 90% of Manning throws will all be off the PA. I agree with you if you're saying we need to improve and include the spread offense, 4 and 5 wr sets, but what Im also trying to say is that we are closer than you think. Wait till next season, hell I won't be suprised if we are running to " no huddle" by then. Also we have what the third highest ranked offense in the NFL already?

As great as he was this year, Its clear that he still has yet to improve as a pocket passer. And i have 0% doubt that he's capable of doing so.

I agree 100 percent. I am not worried about his accuracy. He clearly was injured and it clearly affected his ability to throw the ball. He just needs to get healthy.

He doesn't have the experience of a pocket passer. I put money he will spend this off season working on just that, and continue to improve reading NFL defenses.

Archived